Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 18, 2010
12:45:47 PM
Data/Stats Collection Thread

This is directed primarily at SomeJoe7777 but I include some of you other U-talk "gods" as well (RCSMG, mibrnsurg, BeeBee, spd2demun, and many others).  I'm asking for a favor on behalf of all us "disciples" who learn from you.

I'm beginning to realize that the stats from the RG can be used to determine what's working (or not working) correctly with our Uverse installations.  Case in point - I just learned last week where to look in the stats to determine how well my coax is delivering a signal to my 2 STBs and DVR.  A reading of 112 shows the signal is fine, 96 indicates some problems, lower shows major issues.  The number of uncorrected blocks, max sync numbers, and all the other numbers and values tell how well the system is functioning.  Unfortunately most of the numbers are Greek to me.  Here's where I ask the favor.

You've already helped us (thank you VERY much!) with information on how to calibrate our systems, measuring our usage, and so much more.  Could you, or some of the other folks with the necessary knowledge, work up examples of what the various RG stats and diagnostic pages mean?  I know that is asking a lot but I believe it would REALLY be a help to those of us that have a basic understanding of the Uverse system and just need some help with the details.  If would certainly help when dealing with the on-site Techs who most times don't seem to know where to start to fix the system.

If you could do that for us I promise I'll build a shrine to you, built from the left-behind cut off coax connectors and RG-6 cable that is covering my attic floor!  :smileywink:

Thanks!!

John

Message Edited by TreyW on 01-19-2010 06:47 PM

This is directed primarily at SomeJoe7777 but I include some of you other U-talk "gods" as well (RCSMG, mibrnsurg, BeeBee, spd2demun, and many others).  I'm asking for a favor on behalf of all us "disciples" who learn from you.

I'm beginning to realize that the stats from the RG can be used to determine what's working (or not working) correctly with our Uverse installations.  Case in point - I just learned last week where to look in the stats to determine how well my coax is delivering a signal to my 2 STBs and DVR.  A reading of 112 shows the signal is fine, 96 indicates some problems, lower shows major issues.  The number of uncorrected blocks, max sync numbers, and all the other numbers and values tell how well the system is functioning.  Unfortunately most of the numbers are Greek to me.  Here's where I ask the favor.

You've already helped us (thank you VERY much!) with information on how to calibrate our systems, measuring our usage, and so much more.  Could you, or some of the other folks with the necessary knowledge, work up examples of what the various RG stats and diagnostic pages mean?  I know that is asking a lot but I believe it would REALLY be a help to those of us that have a basic understanding of the Uverse system and just need some help with the details.  If would certainly help when dealing with the on-site Techs who most times don't seem to know where to start to fix the system.

If you could do that for us I promise I'll build a shrine to you, built from the left-behind cut off coax connectors and RG-6 cable that is covering my attic floor!  :smileywink:

Thanks!!

John

Message Edited by TreyW on 01-19-2010 06:47 PM

Data/Stats Collection Thread

157 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(157)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 8:10:22 PM
(0)
Explorer

What are the dips?  Shouldn't it be flat across the band, I notice spikes and dips instead, and the speed rolls off at the higher frequencies.

What are the dips?  Shouldn't it be flat across the band, I notice spikes and dips instead, and the speed rolls off at the higher frequencies.

Re: Data/Stats Collection Thread

151 of 158 (637 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 8:28:22 PM
(0)
Expert

WB9OUF wrote:

Minor spikes/dips are of no concern, very minor EFI/RFI on the line can affect those spikes/dips all the time.

Roll off of bitload at higher frequencies is perfectly normal, higher frequencies are attenuated more over the loop distance.

The one zero bitload line in the lower downstream band (yellow) and the 3 zero bitload lines in the upstream band (green) are also normal -- those frequencies are reserved by VDSL2 for pilot tones.

WB9OUF wrote:

Minor spikes/dips are of no concern, very minor EFI/RFI on the line can affect those spikes/dips all the time.

Roll off of bitload at higher frequencies is perfectly normal, higher frequencies are attenuated more over the loop distance.

The one zero bitload line in the lower downstream band (yellow) and the 3 zero bitload lines in the upstream band (green) are also normal -- those frequencies are reserved by VDSL2 for pilot tones.

152 of 158 (637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2011 4:22:21 PM
(0)
Former Moderator
Moved to a new thread for better exposure

mod.moose

153 of 158 (317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2011 6:54:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SJ what do you think of these stats?

SJ what do you think of these stats?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Open letter to SomeJoe7777

154 of 158 (218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 7:24:21 AM
(0)
Expert

You have a severe coax problem, probably more than one.

You have a severe coax problem, probably more than one.

155 of 158 (204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 1:50:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SJ, a little while after I posted those stats the RG just kept rebooting.  Then it never booted and finally I got 3 red lights.  The power, the broadband, and the service lights were all red.  I was on the phone with ts and the RG wouldn't come back even after disonnecting the ac and pressing and holding the reset button.  I was going to go to bed and I unplugged the RG for about 15 or 20 minutes and when I reconnected it it booted up.  It has been working better now that it had been in the past few days.  I was getting freezing every hour and the internet had slowed down.  The prem tech just went around to the VRAD to check for errors there.  He changed some connectors in the wall jack that connects to the RG.  But my service has 0 errors right now.

"I don't know.  Third base,"

SJ, a little while after I posted those stats the RG just kept rebooting.  Then it never booted and finally I got 3 red lights.  The power, the broadband, and the service lights were all red.  I was on the phone with ts and the RG wouldn't come back even after disonnecting the ac and pressing and holding the reset button.  I was going to go to bed and I unplugged the RG for about 15 or 20 minutes and when I reconnected it it booted up.  It has been working better now that it had been in the past few days.  I was getting freezing every hour and the internet had slowed down.  The prem tech just went around to the VRAD to check for errors there.  He changed some connectors in the wall jack that connects to the RG.  But my service has 0 errors right now.

"I don't know.  Third base,"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

156 of 158 (171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 2:57:00 PM
(0)
Expert

It's possibly an overheating issue.  Make sure the RG vents are unblocked and the unit has plenty of ventilation.

It's possibly an overheating issue.  Make sure the RG vents are unblocked and the unit has plenty of ventilation.

157 of 158 (159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 4:14:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by RCSMG on May 26, 2011 at 4:17:07 PM

The vents are clear.  It's been in the same place since installation.  It could have been a combination of minor issues that resulted in one big one.  Temporarily.  Coax stats look good today also.

The vents are clear.  It's been in the same place since installation.  It could have been a combination of minor issues that resulted in one big one.  Temporarily.  Coax stats look good today also.

[ Edited ]
158 of 158 (154 Views)