DVR will not power on after sitting....

Tutor

DVR will not power on after sitting....

Something weird going on here over the last week to week and a half.

Main DVR will not power on if it has been sitting for more than an hour or so. It must be unplugged from its power supply and plugged back in, or press/hold the power button to reset. Thought it may have been the Harmony One remote we are using, so tried the standard-issue AT&T remote. Still no luck.

Box was replaced yesterday for this issue, and tonight same thing has happened.

Additional boxes in the house are not affected.

Setup is:

Cisco DVR box run through Denon AVR-790 via HDMI.

I am NOT happy about this, AT&T has no idea what the issue is. They have reset everything several times and replaced the box.

Message 1 of 13 (4,287 Views)

Re: DVR will not power on after sitting....

I experienced the same problems, today a tech came and put in a new DVR, of course it has not resolved the problems. I don't know how to escalate this.

Message 2 of 13 (4,135 Views)
Expert

Contact David, who is a U-verse employee in Tier 2 Technical Support. He and his team have been successful resolving customer issues that remain unresolved after contacting Technical Support.

Message 3 of 13 (4,125 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue, except maybe it had to sit about 5-6 hours, and it was a CISCO DVR too.

AT&T came out replaced the DVR, 2 days later same thing.

AT&T came out and replaced the DVR again and changed the HDMI cable to component. Voila, no more problems. Smiley HappySmiley Happy

The consensus was that there was a handshake issue with the HDMI cable, TV and DVR causing the DVR to semi-lockup and not respond. While the DVR would not turn on, the other STBs could watch a recorded show.

Message 4 of 13 (4,105 Views)
Expert

wr6x wrote:

Something weird going on here over the last week to week and a half.

Main DVR will not power on if it has been sitting for more than an hour or so. It must be unplugged from its power supply and plugged back in, or press/hold the power button to reset. Thought it may have been the Harmony One remote we are using, so tried the standard-issue AT&T remote. Still no luck.

Box was replaced yesterday for this issue, and tonight same thing has happened.

Additional boxes in the house are not affected.

Setup is:

Cisco DVR box run through Denon AVR-790 via HDMI.

I am NOT happy about this, AT&T has no idea what the issue is. They have reset everything several times and replaced the box.

Is your stb connected to your television via HDMI cable?  If so, it could be a bad cable or a handshake issue.  You can call ts and request a tech be sent out again to replace the hdmi cable.  You can try this to resolve the handshake issue if that is the case.  While the tv and stb are turned on, disconnect the hdmi cable from the stb and press and hold the power button until the lights blink.  After about 5 minutes reconnect the hdmi cable to the stb.  Then see if the problem persists.

Message 5 of 13 (4,078 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Same issue!  My bedroom STB (non-DVR) will not always wake using the remote.  The batteries in the remote are good.  My aim is true, as well (LOL).  But sometimes the TV will fire up but not the box.  I get the "Press Okay to Watch AT&T U-Verse" or whatever it says.  Okay doesn't do anything.  I have to press the button on the box.  After that the remote works okay.

Wonder if an update changed the remote receiver sensitivity???!

Yes the AT&T light is lighting on the remote

No HDMI (Composites)

No LCD TV (Huge CRT)

No Clue Smiley Very Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 13 (4,036 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I have a hard time thinking this is an HDCP handshake issue. I delt with HDCP problems when I had brighthouse and this seems to act diffrently (albiet these are different boxes). If it was an HDCP issue it would not happen at random I don't believe. It seems to come and go in spurts. The last two days I have not been able to turn the box on unless I either unplug it from the power supply or hold the power button down on the box itself. Neither my Harmony One or the AT&T remote will power it up.

Before this week, it has been decent since the box was replaced in early October.

All other boxes in the house are also set up via HDMI and none of them have exhibited this issue at all.

The ONLY difference in connection is that the main Cisco box is run through my Denon AVR-790 reciever, but again, the intermittent issue has me thinking its no a handshake issue

Friend locally is set up via HDMI and has no issues as well.

Message 7 of 13 (3,995 Views)

This could also be an issue with HDMI and the CEC standard if this is a common issue with DVRs that pass through an AVR. AT&T might have done another one of their halfbaked patches that messed that up. So it could be that the DVR is waiting for the power-on command to come from the AVR over the HDMI cable.

Just a thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Message 8 of 13 (3,965 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

So there is a thread gaining some traction around here and it seems certain TV's (DLP's mostly) are a common factor. I was using a Samsung DLP. It ate itself the other night and we've replaced it with a Panasonic S2 series plasma and have not had the issue once since. No change other than what was on the other end of the HDMI out from the Receiver.

Also, I called Denon before getting the new TV. I must say, I've NEVER experienced such AMAZING customer service. The guy walked me through tons of stuff, and he didn't dumb it down after he found that I at least had somewhat of a clue of what I was doing.

Message 9 of 13 (3,904 Views)

We fought this problem for a year before we finally figured out the cause.  Some TVs project some sort of interference to the DVR.  The DVR is made of a plastic case, not metal.  Stay with me here.  First, we moved the DVR off to the side of the TV, out from under the TV.  The problems went away.  Then, I placed the DVR back under the TV.  But now I have my metal cased DVD player on top of the DVR to produce a shield between the DVR and TV.  It works!  I used some thin wood strips to create an air space between the DVR and DVD player.

Message 10 of 13 (3,692 Views)
ACE - Master

Indeed - I bet that the DVR would "wake" just fine if the user pressed the power button on the box instead of the remote.  Some LCD's and DLP's mess with the signal of the U-Verse remote.  Some have changed the angle, of the box, others put tape over the remote's IR emitter, changed some display settings and so on.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 13 (3,164 Views)
Teacher

Having the exact same issue as the OP and my Uverse was just installed YESTERDAY!

I've been able to solve some of the multiple problems I've already had myself, but this issue of the DVR receiver not powering on has me baffled....it is not an issue with the remote because the power button on the unit won't turn it on either....the only solution thus far is to hold in the power button and let the unit reboot, unfortunately something is in the middle of recording, so if I reboot now then I lose the recording....

I'm going to try the suggestion of moving the unit further from the TV even though I'm a little skeptical....at the moment I'm open to any suggestions that might work....

Message 12 of 13 (3,098 Views)
Expert

How is your stb connected to your tv?  Is it with an hdmi cable?

Message 13 of 13 (3,073 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.