Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 19, 2009
8:58:06 PM
DVR recording bug when watching recorded show with 4 shows recording?

I apologize for this post being long and detailed, but the U-verse support page wouldn't offer me the email option and I wasn't about to try and describe this over the phone or via chat.

Thursday night gives my DVR a workout. Between 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM, I record the following:

8:00 PM           8:30 PM                   9:00 PM             9:30 PM

(3) Survivor                                (3) CSI

(4) Community     (4) Parks and Recreation  (4) The Office      (4) 30 Rock

(6) Bones                                   (6) Fringe

(8) Flash Forward                           (8) Grey's Anatomy

These are recordings that I manually set up weekly via the Guide (by clicking on a program, selecting "Record episode", and then confirming "Record"), they aren't series recordings.

For the past few weeks, The NBC shows at 9:00 PM have failed to record. During those earlier instances I was watching a show recorded on a previous night when the transition to 9:00 PM occurred. No warnings were provided, the shows on channel 4 at 9:00 PM simply failed to record. Note that my viewing was done using a non-DVR box while the DVR was recording in a different room.

Tonight (Thursday 11/19), I decided to experiment. I was considering that maybe the fact I was watching a  distinct recorded program on top of having 4 streams recorded was somehow overloading the system. So, tonight, I watched Survivor time-shifted by about 30 minutes under the rationale that watching a channel that was being recorded might be slightly better than watching an entirely different program. Near the 9:00 PM transition, the Survivor recording froze for a few seconds and resumed.

I pressed the "Recorded TV" button to get to the <By date> screen and only 3 programs were marked by red recording dots. The surprise was that this time, rather than the NBC programs failing to record, it was ABC that wasn't recording. I then decided to hit the "Guide" button. The next surprise was that the ABC program (Grey's Anatomy) was being marked as recording with a red dot in the Guide View, but it was still absent in the "Recorded TV" list. I tried to select the program in the guide, but I got a message that all the streams were in use and I had to watch a recorded program. I checked to see if any of my other receiver boxes were actually in fully powered on mode (with the power button glowing green) and none of them were (I have a total of 2 non-DVR boxes and 1 DVR box).

I turned off the box I was using to view Survivor, and went upstairs to the DVR box and turned on that TV for viewing. The "Recorded TV" list and the Guide were still out of synch. It was a struggle to get things into a situation where I could view the ABC station and manually press the record button on the remote to get a recording of "Grey's Anatomy" to start that would register on the the "Recorded TV" list. I can't quite remember the steps I used, but it wasn't straight-forward to regain control before I could finally press record. I know I used the "Try again" on screen prompt a few times and switched back and forth between the Guide and the Recorded TV list a few times.

In summary, it appears that when I am watching a recording when 4 others are recording and I am still watching the recording when the 4 shows transition to recording 4 new shows, some channel appears to be impacted so that the recording doesn't register properly in the system (it appears to be recording via the guide but doesn't appear on the recorded TV list). I don't remember enough about the recorded shows I was viewing in prior weeks to know if there is a pattern, but channel 4 was consistently a problem until I decided to watch one of the channels being recorded on time delay and the problem channel switched to 8. If left alone, the program that shows up only on the guide does not end up on the Recorded TV list at the end of the night and disappears (never to have been viewable).

I have rebooted my gateway, and all my receivers fairly recently. The reboots occurred after the problem started and the problem has still happened after the reboots. My line has been checked recently and has been found to be OK. I am not going to hard reboot the DVR and lose my backlog of programming, and the DVR seems to work fine otherwise.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar? Have you set some programs to record and had them just not show up? If so, consider what was being recorded just prior to the time slot of the failed recording along with what was being recorded at the same time and see if it is remotely similar to my situation.

Maybe recording 4 programs while watching another recording is a rare enough event, that maybe this slipped through as a design flaw (the tails of 4 shows overlapping with the beginning of 4 new shows in the next hour, plus the viewing of a recording may just max something out and one of the program transitions fails or is incomplete). Or maybe it is a software bug.

Anyhow, I am hoping someone else has had a similar experience with this, not because I  want to wish problems on others, but because I am hoping there can be confirmation on this, so that there is a hope this will be magically fixed some day and I won't require a service call or hardware swap because of a fluke in my system (I have had my fill of support calls already through the course of my U-verse service).

Thanks,

Greg

I apologize for this post being long and detailed, but the U-verse support page wouldn't offer me the email option and I wasn't about to try and describe this over the phone or via chat.

Thursday night gives my DVR a workout. Between 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM, I record the following:

8:00 PM           8:30 PM                   9:00 PM             9:30 PM

(3) Survivor                                (3) CSI

(4) Community     (4) Parks and Recreation  (4) The Office      (4) 30 Rock

(6) Bones                                   (6) Fringe

(8) Flash Forward                           (8) Grey's Anatomy

These are recordings that I manually set up weekly via the Guide (by clicking on a program, selecting "Record episode", and then confirming "Record"), they aren't series recordings.

For the past few weeks, The NBC shows at 9:00 PM have failed to record. During those earlier instances I was watching a show recorded on a previous night when the transition to 9:00 PM occurred. No warnings were provided, the shows on channel 4 at 9:00 PM simply failed to record. Note that my viewing was done using a non-DVR box while the DVR was recording in a different room.

Tonight (Thursday 11/19), I decided to experiment. I was considering that maybe the fact I was watching a  distinct recorded program on top of having 4 streams recorded was somehow overloading the system. So, tonight, I watched Survivor time-shifted by about 30 minutes under the rationale that watching a channel that was being recorded might be slightly better than watching an entirely different program. Near the 9:00 PM transition, the Survivor recording froze for a few seconds and resumed.

I pressed the "Recorded TV" button to get to the <By date> screen and only 3 programs were marked by red recording dots. The surprise was that this time, rather than the NBC programs failing to record, it was ABC that wasn't recording. I then decided to hit the "Guide" button. The next surprise was that the ABC program (Grey's Anatomy) was being marked as recording with a red dot in the Guide View, but it was still absent in the "Recorded TV" list. I tried to select the program in the guide, but I got a message that all the streams were in use and I had to watch a recorded program. I checked to see if any of my other receiver boxes were actually in fully powered on mode (with the power button glowing green) and none of them were (I have a total of 2 non-DVR boxes and 1 DVR box).

I turned off the box I was using to view Survivor, and went upstairs to the DVR box and turned on that TV for viewing. The "Recorded TV" list and the Guide were still out of synch. It was a struggle to get things into a situation where I could view the ABC station and manually press the record button on the remote to get a recording of "Grey's Anatomy" to start that would register on the the "Recorded TV" list. I can't quite remember the steps I used, but it wasn't straight-forward to regain control before I could finally press record. I know I used the "Try again" on screen prompt a few times and switched back and forth between the Guide and the Recorded TV list a few times.

In summary, it appears that when I am watching a recording when 4 others are recording and I am still watching the recording when the 4 shows transition to recording 4 new shows, some channel appears to be impacted so that the recording doesn't register properly in the system (it appears to be recording via the guide but doesn't appear on the recorded TV list). I don't remember enough about the recorded shows I was viewing in prior weeks to know if there is a pattern, but channel 4 was consistently a problem until I decided to watch one of the channels being recorded on time delay and the problem channel switched to 8. If left alone, the program that shows up only on the guide does not end up on the Recorded TV list at the end of the night and disappears (never to have been viewable).

I have rebooted my gateway, and all my receivers fairly recently. The reboots occurred after the problem started and the problem has still happened after the reboots. My line has been checked recently and has been found to be OK. I am not going to hard reboot the DVR and lose my backlog of programming, and the DVR seems to work fine otherwise.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar? Have you set some programs to record and had them just not show up? If so, consider what was being recorded just prior to the time slot of the failed recording along with what was being recorded at the same time and see if it is remotely similar to my situation.

Maybe recording 4 programs while watching another recording is a rare enough event, that maybe this slipped through as a design flaw (the tails of 4 shows overlapping with the beginning of 4 new shows in the next hour, plus the viewing of a recording may just max something out and one of the program transitions fails or is incomplete). Or maybe it is a software bug.

Anyhow, I am hoping someone else has had a similar experience with this, not because I  want to wish problems on others, but because I am hoping there can be confirmation on this, so that there is a hope this will be magically fixed some day and I won't require a service call or hardware swap because of a fluke in my system (I have had my fill of support calls already through the course of my U-verse service).

Thanks,

Greg

DVR recording bug when watching recorded show with 4 shows recording?

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2009 7:37:49 PM
(0)
Expert

My recommended course of action to you is:

1. See if someone else here on the forum would be willing to try to do something similar (preferably with the exact same shows), and attempt to duplicate the problem.
  2. If no one can duplicate the problem, I would say you have a bad DVR.  I would attempt a disaster recovery first (this would erase all your recordings), and if that doesn't work, then have a tech come and replace the DVR.
  3. If the problem is repeatable by other people, I would bypass technical support completely and contact David.  This problem would need to go directly to engineering to be confirmed in the lab.

My recommended course of action to you is:

1. See if someone else here on the forum would be willing to try to do something similar (preferably with the exact same shows), and attempt to duplicate the problem.
  2. If no one can duplicate the problem, I would say you have a bad DVR.  I would attempt a disaster recovery first (this would erase all your recordings), and if that doesn't work, then have a tech come and replace the DVR.
  3. If the problem is repeatable by other people, I would bypass technical support completely and contact David.  This problem would need to go directly to engineering to be confirmed in the lab.

Re: DVR recording bug when watching recorded show with 4 shows recording?

2 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2009 10:34:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the tip, Joe.

I'll have to wait a while and see if anyone else recognizes the issue or is willing to try an experiment. My DVR is too full right now to stomach a disaster recovery on it, since it is mainly functioning correctly. Luckily I just started a week long vacation, so I may be able to catch up  on my viewing and attempt one as a safety check, but I have a feeling it wouldn't fix anything anyhow.

I did discover that this problem occurred to me one other time this week, and it fit the same profile.

recordSchedule.png

The programs I manually selected via the guide for recording are marked in pink. I watched the 8:00 America's Next Top Model on time delay, and was still watching it when 9:00 PM rolled around. Today I realized that "Glee" at 9:00 PM failed to record (I went an watched the episode online).

This seems to be another instance of 4 shows recording, switching over to 4 new shows recording, while watching a recorded show at the time of the transition, causing one of the new recordings to fail.

If someone is adventurous, patient, and is willing to experiment, here is the protocol:

(1) Pick a future 2 hour block where you will be awake, and where you weren't planning on recording anything for yourself.

(2) Use the "Guide" button on the remote and navigate to that 2 hour block.

(3) Select 4 different programs from the first hour that you are willing to record. All of them should end at the end of the first hour, and one of them should be an hour long show that you are willing to watch. Use the "OK" button on the remote, select "Record episode" from the on-screen menu, and then select "Record" on the next screen. Do this for each of the 4 programs.

(4) In a similar manner select 4 other programs for recording that begin at the beginning of hour 2 of the 2 hour block.

(5) At the beginning of the 2 hour block, all of your TV's and set top boxes should be off (the oval power button on the left of the box should be unlit (rather than outlined in green).

(6) Around 30 minutes into the 2 hour block, turn on a TV that is connected to a non-DVR set top box.

(7) Select one of the hour long show recordings that is in progress and start watching it from the beginning, and watch the show to completion (this will take you through the 2nd hour transition to the other side).

(8) After the 2 hour block is complete, press the "Recorded TV" button on the remote to view your list of recorded programs. Did all of your four programs scheduled for the 2nd hour successfully record? In my case, one of the programs fails to record (thus far it has always been from a station other than the one from which I was watching the time delayed recording). I don't think it is important that the recorded program actually be one that is live but time delayed. I'm fairly certain that this has happened to me when I was watching a recording from an entirely different day at the transition, but the last two times it happened, I was watching a time delayed live recording.

If anyone else can replicate this issue, I would appreciate it. This is too complicated and esoteric of an issue for me to try and explain to first level support unless I know it is an issue that isn't a quirk of my particular DVR. They'll tell me to disaster recover, and I'm not doing that unless I'm caught up on viewing. The problem only seems to occur on consecutive hours of 4 program recording, and those only occur once to twice a week for me, so I can try and work around it for now until the box is at least close to empty.

Thanks for your attention.

--Greg

Thanks for the tip, Joe.

I'll have to wait a while and see if anyone else recognizes the issue or is willing to try an experiment. My DVR is too full right now to stomach a disaster recovery on it, since it is mainly functioning correctly. Luckily I just started a week long vacation, so I may be able to catch up  on my viewing and attempt one as a safety check, but I have a feeling it wouldn't fix anything anyhow.

I did discover that this problem occurred to me one other time this week, and it fit the same profile.

recordSchedule.png

The programs I manually selected via the guide for recording are marked in pink. I watched the 8:00 America's Next Top Model on time delay, and was still watching it when 9:00 PM rolled around. Today I realized that "Glee" at 9:00 PM failed to record (I went an watched the episode online).

This seems to be another instance of 4 shows recording, switching over to 4 new shows recording, while watching a recorded show at the time of the transition, causing one of the new recordings to fail.

If someone is adventurous, patient, and is willing to experiment, here is the protocol:

(1) Pick a future 2 hour block where you will be awake, and where you weren't planning on recording anything for yourself.

(2) Use the "Guide" button on the remote and navigate to that 2 hour block.

(3) Select 4 different programs from the first hour that you are willing to record. All of them should end at the end of the first hour, and one of them should be an hour long show that you are willing to watch. Use the "OK" button on the remote, select "Record episode" from the on-screen menu, and then select "Record" on the next screen. Do this for each of the 4 programs.

(4) In a similar manner select 4 other programs for recording that begin at the beginning of hour 2 of the 2 hour block.

(5) At the beginning of the 2 hour block, all of your TV's and set top boxes should be off (the oval power button on the left of the box should be unlit (rather than outlined in green).

(6) Around 30 minutes into the 2 hour block, turn on a TV that is connected to a non-DVR set top box.

(7) Select one of the hour long show recordings that is in progress and start watching it from the beginning, and watch the show to completion (this will take you through the 2nd hour transition to the other side).

(8) After the 2 hour block is complete, press the "Recorded TV" button on the remote to view your list of recorded programs. Did all of your four programs scheduled for the 2nd hour successfully record? In my case, one of the programs fails to record (thus far it has always been from a station other than the one from which I was watching the time delayed recording). I don't think it is important that the recorded program actually be one that is live but time delayed. I'm fairly certain that this has happened to me when I was watching a recording from an entirely different day at the transition, but the last two times it happened, I was watching a time delayed live recording.

If anyone else can replicate this issue, I would appreciate it. This is too complicated and esoteric of an issue for me to try and explain to first level support unless I know it is an issue that isn't a quirk of my particular DVR. They'll tell me to disaster recover, and I'm not doing that unless I'm caught up on viewing. The problem only seems to occur on consecutive hours of 4 program recording, and those only occur once to twice a week for me, so I can try and work around it for now until the box is at least close to empty.

Thanks for your attention.

--Greg

3 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 12:01:40 PM
(0)
Teacher
I believe you are lucky.  I am only able to record 3 shows at one time if I am watching TV.  We run into a problem on Thurs. nights when my husband goes to bed before 9 and turns the tv on in the bedroom.  When the second tv goes on it dumps one of the recordings; the second tv does not have a dvr.  So, here's the thing.  I can only record 4 shows at one time if no tv is on, 3 recordings if 1 tv is on, 2 recordings if 2 tvs are on.  How do I know if  this is NOT what I am supposed to have? 
I believe you are lucky.  I am only able to record 3 shows at one time if I am watching TV.  We run into a problem on Thurs. nights when my husband goes to bed before 9 and turns the tv on in the bedroom.  When the second tv goes on it dumps one of the recordings; the second tv does not have a dvr.  So, here's the thing.  I can only record 4 shows at one time if no tv is on, 3 recordings if 1 tv is on, 2 recordings if 2 tvs are on.  How do I know if  this is NOT what I am supposed to have? 

4 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 12:08:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gottago wrote:

With U-verse,  you have 4 live simultaneous TV streams which can be used to watch and/or record live TV.  So it appears that your service is working as it should be.

gottago wrote:

With U-verse,  you have 4 live simultaneous TV streams which can be used to watch and/or record live TV.  So it appears that your service is working as it should be.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 12:50:50 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks Texasguy37, that is what I thought.  Situation only bugs me 1 night a week, then I scream at hubby to resolve the problem.  :smileywink:But I have family that hates uverse because of this limitation.  I can understand that. 
Thanks Texasguy37, that is what I thought.  Situation only bugs me 1 night a week, then I scream at hubby to resolve the problem.  :smileywink:But I have family that hates uverse because of this limitation.  I can understand that. 

6 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 1:00:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

On that one night tell him to watch a recorded program and it won't interfere w/your 4 live streams at all. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

On that one night tell him to watch a recorded program and it won't interfere w/your 4 live streams at all. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 1:47:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

gottago,

I have verified that I can:

(1) Be watching a recorded program and use the "Guide" to set up 4 live recordings.

(2) Exit the recording and then switch to one of the 4 existing live recording stations to watch it live (while it is still recording).

(3) Go to the "Recorded TV" list while the 4 programs are being recorded live, and begin watching one of those 4 programs from the beginning while it is still being recorded.

None of those operations interrupt the 4 live recordings.

On Thursdays, before your husband is going to bed slightly before 9, is the TV with the DVR recording 4 programs during the 8:00 PM-9:00 PM block with 4 programs scheduled for recording in the 9:00 PM- 10:00 PM block?

In my case, if I am recording 4 programs live and I try to turn on one of the other TVs in the house, the screen on the new TV will give me one of the following messages, depending on the situation:

(A) This TV was interrupted to allow recording or viewing on another TV in your home. (this would happen if the receiver on the new TV was already on, but the TV itself was off, and I just turned on the TV).

(B) All TV services are in use. To watch TV: power-off another TV receiver, or select a recording, or stop (this would happen if the last viewed station on the new TV isn't one of the 4 recording stations).

When your husband turns on the TV in the bedroom prior to 9:00, does he see one of those messages and act upon it, or does he start viewing one of the shows that was already recording? Is the recording that gets dumped from the 8-9 block or the 9-10 block?

If the program that gets dumped is one that was scheduled from 9-10, you may be experiencing the same issue I am.

You should try starting 4 live recordings and then try starting to view one of your older recordings to see if your system has the same capability as mine. I think this functionality should be standard.

Thanks for responding.

--Greg

gottago,

I have verified that I can:

(1) Be watching a recorded program and use the "Guide" to set up 4 live recordings.

(2) Exit the recording and then switch to one of the 4 existing live recording stations to watch it live (while it is still recording).

(3) Go to the "Recorded TV" list while the 4 programs are being recorded live, and begin watching one of those 4 programs from the beginning while it is still being recorded.

None of those operations interrupt the 4 live recordings.

On Thursdays, before your husband is going to bed slightly before 9, is the TV with the DVR recording 4 programs during the 8:00 PM-9:00 PM block with 4 programs scheduled for recording in the 9:00 PM- 10:00 PM block?

In my case, if I am recording 4 programs live and I try to turn on one of the other TVs in the house, the screen on the new TV will give me one of the following messages, depending on the situation:

(A) This TV was interrupted to allow recording or viewing on another TV in your home. (this would happen if the receiver on the new TV was already on, but the TV itself was off, and I just turned on the TV).

(B) All TV services are in use. To watch TV: power-off another TV receiver, or select a recording, or stop (this would happen if the last viewed station on the new TV isn't one of the 4 recording stations).

When your husband turns on the TV in the bedroom prior to 9:00, does he see one of those messages and act upon it, or does he start viewing one of the shows that was already recording? Is the recording that gets dumped from the 8-9 block or the 9-10 block?

If the program that gets dumped is one that was scheduled from 9-10, you may be experiencing the same issue I am.

You should try starting 4 live recordings and then try starting to view one of your older recordings to see if your system has the same capability as mine. I think this functionality should be standard.

Thanks for responding.

--Greg

8 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 1:59:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Texas,

Since I can receive the message "All TV services are in use. To watch TV: power-off another TV receiver, or select a recording, or stop."  when I have 4 live streams recording and I try to turn on a second TV, it implies that you should be able to watch a recording while letting the 4 live streams continue recording.

When you are recording 4 live streams and you turn on another TV, I think the system is supposed to provide some sort of warning; I don't think it is supposed to summarily dump a recording.

--Greg

Texas,

Since I can receive the message "All TV services are in use. To watch TV: power-off another TV receiver, or select a recording, or stop."  when I have 4 live streams recording and I try to turn on a second TV, it implies that you should be able to watch a recording while letting the 4 live streams continue recording.

When you are recording 4 live streams and you turn on another TV, I think the system is supposed to provide some sort of warning; I don't think it is supposed to summarily dump a recording.

--Greg

9 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 3:25:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

curioddities wrote:

Texas,

--Greg

A recording is not automatically dumped in this situation.  The viewer can choose the option "select a recording to stop" so that live TV can be viewed.  This appears to be what is happening with the husband of one of the previous posters.

Also, a previously recorded program from the DVR can be watched if all 4 live streams are being used for recordings.

curioddities wrote:

Texas,

--Greg

A recording is not automatically dumped in this situation.  The viewer can choose the option "select a recording to stop" so that live TV can be viewed.  This appears to be what is happening with the husband of one of the previous posters.

Also, a previously recorded program from the DVR can be watched if all 4 live streams are being used for recordings.

10 of 19 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2009 6:50:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

In my situation, I was not recording 4 shows, only 3, but was watching a 4th channel.  Recordings are scheduled from 8-9.  When hubby goes to bed

before 9 and turns on a second tv he gets the message:

"All TV services are in use. To watch TV: power-off another TV receiver, or select a recording to stop." 

Hubby swears he has never stopped a recording, but I have missed the end of Grey's Anatomy a few times.  I did say it dumps a recording, what it does is stops a recording, not dump it...sorry.  Hubby says all he ever pushed was the 'try again' button.  By this time I have usually turned off the first tv so his problem is resolved by the time he 'tries again'....but yes, I have lost the end of one of my recordings.

In my situation, I was not recording 4 shows, only 3, but was watching a 4th channel.  Recordings are scheduled from 8-9.  When hubby goes to bed

before 9 and turns on a second tv he gets the message:

"All TV services are in use. To watch TV: power-off another TV receiver, or select a recording to stop." 

Hubby swears he has never stopped a recording, but I have missed the end of Grey's Anatomy a few times.  I did say it dumps a recording, what it does is stops a recording, not dump it...sorry.  Hubby says all he ever pushed was the 'try again' button.  By this time I have usually turned off the first tv so his problem is resolved by the time he 'tries again'....but yes, I have lost the end of one of my recordings.

11 of 19 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2009 9:15:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You also have to be careful, 1) when turning on a box during the "soft padding" times (say 9:01) when 4 shows are using soft padding that would have ended at 9:00 OR 2) if it's one of those shows that is scheduled from 8-9:02.  The DVR usually truncates the soft padding situation (for set recordings) but can not do so on the 8-9:02 shows.
You also have to be careful, 1) when turning on a box during the "soft padding" times (say 9:01) when 4 shows are using soft padding that would have ended at 9:00 OR 2) if it's one of those shows that is scheduled from 8-9:02.  The DVR usually truncates the soft padding situation (for set recordings) but can not do so on the 8-9:02 shows.

12 of 19 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2009 2:05:07 PM
(0)
Mentor
I really think you hit the nail on the head for the OP's problem.   Many times the recordings can be set to 8-9:05 so that if the program runs a little over you don't cut off recording early......but this affects the 900-905 recording start and can give the illusion that too many streams are in use from 900-100 PM  on Thursday nights.  FYI 
Message Edited by uvuser on 11-25-2009 02:05 PM
I really think you hit the nail on the head for the OP's problem.   Many times the recordings can be set to 8-9:05 so that if the program runs a little over you don't cut off recording early......but this affects the 900-905 recording start and can give the illusion that too many streams are in use from 900-100 PM  on Thursday nights.  FYI 
Message Edited by uvuser on 11-25-2009 02:05 PM

13 of 19 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2009 3:23:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

dhascall,

I didn't have the term "soft padding" at the tip of my tongue, but I was wondering if at the transition there was some sort of conflict that was being resolved by preventing a scheduled recording from kicking off (because a program running long right before it still had control of the stream). My failed recording on a busy night doesn't show up as a snippet, it is entirely missing, so my presumption is that it never gets a chance to start.

With this week containing a holiday, the schedules are non-standard, but when regular programming resumes, I'll take a careful look at the end and start times at the 9:00 boundary to see if any programs go beyond a minute of overage. My primary problem was on Thursdays with some instances on Wednesdays.

If this really is the source of my problem, U-verse should really flag these situations as conflicts. Already if you try to schedule any program with significant overlap with 4 others already scheduled, it warns you and offers you the opportunity to resolve the conflict. It sounds like that process could be fine-tuned to catch situations like this, while still allowing the 1-minute overlaps the slide (provided the 1 minute overlaps don't also cause a problem).

Is there any documentation on the specs of the soft padding? For instance, will the soft padding prevent only a single instance of a 9:01 end 9:00 start stransition, or could you have four programs ending at 9:01 and 4 programs stating at 9:00 and have them all work out okay? Does it operate by actually truncating the time on the recordings as necessary (the 9:01 ending program gets adjusted to 9:00 so that the 9:00 starting program can start successfully, or the 9:01 ending program is allowed to end as scheduled and the 9:00 starting program gets adjusted to 9:01 and starts late), or does the system provide buffering so that programs are allowed to momentarily escape the 4 stream limit and they record as scheduled? 

Thanks for the tip. No one else has reported the precise problem I have had so far, so this is the best candidate explanation. I'll report back when I find an opportunity to test this in real life.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

--Greg

dhascall,

I didn't have the term "soft padding" at the tip of my tongue, but I was wondering if at the transition there was some sort of conflict that was being resolved by preventing a scheduled recording from kicking off (because a program running long right before it still had control of the stream). My failed recording on a busy night doesn't show up as a snippet, it is entirely missing, so my presumption is that it never gets a chance to start.

With this week containing a holiday, the schedules are non-standard, but when regular programming resumes, I'll take a careful look at the end and start times at the 9:00 boundary to see if any programs go beyond a minute of overage. My primary problem was on Thursdays with some instances on Wednesdays.

If this really is the source of my problem, U-verse should really flag these situations as conflicts. Already if you try to schedule any program with significant overlap with 4 others already scheduled, it warns you and offers you the opportunity to resolve the conflict. It sounds like that process could be fine-tuned to catch situations like this, while still allowing the 1-minute overlaps the slide (provided the 1 minute overlaps don't also cause a problem).

Is there any documentation on the specs of the soft padding? For instance, will the soft padding prevent only a single instance of a 9:01 end 9:00 start stransition, or could you have four programs ending at 9:01 and 4 programs stating at 9:00 and have them all work out okay? Does it operate by actually truncating the time on the recordings as necessary (the 9:01 ending program gets adjusted to 9:00 so that the 9:00 starting program can start successfully, or the 9:01 ending program is allowed to end as scheduled and the 9:00 starting program gets adjusted to 9:01 and starts late), or does the system provide buffering so that programs are allowed to momentarily escape the 4 stream limit and they record as scheduled? 

Thanks for the tip. No one else has reported the precise problem I have had so far, so this is the best candidate explanation. I'll report back when I find an opportunity to test this in real life.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

--Greg

14 of 19 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2009 9:31:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Soft padding will not stop you from recording anything.  After the phase 2 download, they changed it so

that any soft adding that will prevent recording is 'lopped off' and isn't recorded. 

Many times I have 1062 recording 9-11pm and then have 1007 record from 9-10pm and 1124 recording

10-11pm.  Everything will record, but if there is a end time on 1007 of 10:01, 1124 will not record (or

allow to be scheduled) as it was scheduled to start at 10pm and 1062 is already recording then too.

A manual recording could be done on 1124 from 10:01-11pm and should record as the soft padding

will be 'lopped off'. :smileywink:

Chris

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 11-26-2009 12:33 PM

Soft padding will not stop you from recording anything.  After the phase 2 download, they changed it so

that any soft adding that will prevent recording is 'lopped off' and isn't recorded. 

Many times I have 1062 recording 9-11pm and then have 1007 record from 9-10pm and 1124 recording

10-11pm.  Everything will record, but if there is a end time on 1007 of 10:01, 1124 will not record (or

allow to be scheduled) as it was scheduled to start at 10pm and 1062 is already recording then too.

A manual recording could be done on 1124 from 10:01-11pm and should record as the soft padding

will be 'lopped off'. :smileywink:

Chris

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 11-26-2009 12:33 PM

15 of 19 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2009 2:09:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Indeed Chris, soft padding doesn't now stop the recording but those odd timed programs sure create havoc.  American Idol is one of the biggest "violaters."  Even then they sometimes stay on way past their late ending time.  What gripes me is that AI puts the important parts of say a 63 minute broadcast into the final 4 or 5 minutes and that is the area most likely "lopped off."  AI COULD do a results show in 15 minutes!

Again that's not a U-Verse problem.  I try to make a point to check my recordings a few days ahead to see if there is a red "conflict" icon.

Indeed Chris, soft padding doesn't now stop the recording but those odd timed programs sure create havoc.  American Idol is one of the biggest "violaters."  Even then they sometimes stay on way past their late ending time.  What gripes me is that AI puts the important parts of say a 63 minute broadcast into the final 4 or 5 minutes and that is the area most likely "lopped off."  AI COULD do a results show in 15 minutes!

Again that's not a U-Verse problem.  I try to make a point to check my recordings a few days ahead to see if there is a red "conflict" icon.

16 of 19 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 9:27:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

They sure could do everything quicker, the one thing I noticed is this last season they actually stuck

to the extended show times and were done before the sheduled end time, ie 8-9:05pm.  Ryan actually

made comments during the season about 'moving quicker' during the shows that they left in.  But we'll

still be tuning in to see what great singers they find and the weirdos too. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

They sure could do everything quicker, the one thing I noticed is this last season they actually stuck

to the extended show times and were done before the sheduled end time, ie 8-9:05pm.  Ryan actually

made comments during the season about 'moving quicker' during the shows that they left in.  But we'll

still be tuning in to see what great singers they find and the weirdos too. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

17 of 19 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 12:09:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

Almost.  There was one show (not sure which one) that went three to five minutes past it's scheduled ending time.  Most folks didn't see who got the boot as the DVR stopped recording, including the soft padding time.  The next week he mentioned something about adding time to your DVR.  I added 30 minutes to the series recordings!  I liked the country singing show, Nashville Star.  They had just one show a week and the bootee got the boot at the start of the next show.  FOX wouldn't stand for that, I know but it was a novel idea.

Going back a few posts about Soft padding - even though they fixed the recording problem, it still can effect you if you want to watch something.  i.e. you have four shows set to record from 8-9 PM.  The DVR will record from 7:59 to 9:02 (if I understand this all correctly).  If I turn on a TV at 9:01 and it's not tuned to a recorded channel you will got the all streams notification until 9:02 or 9:03.  That may confuse those who don't have a good grasp on it.  Is what I said accurate?

Message Edited by dhascall on 12-01-2009 12:10 PM

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

Almost.  There was one show (not sure which one) that went three to five minutes past it's scheduled ending time.  Most folks didn't see who got the boot as the DVR stopped recording, including the soft padding time.  The next week he mentioned something about adding time to your DVR.  I added 30 minutes to the series recordings!  I liked the country singing show, Nashville Star.  They had just one show a week and the bootee got the boot at the start of the next show.  FOX wouldn't stand for that, I know but it was a novel idea.

Going back a few posts about Soft padding - even though they fixed the recording problem, it still can effect you if you want to watch something.  i.e. you have four shows set to record from 8-9 PM.  The DVR will record from 7:59 to 9:02 (if I understand this all correctly).  If I turn on a TV at 9:01 and it's not tuned to a recorded channel you will got the all streams notification until 9:02 or 9:03.  That may confuse those who don't have a good grasp on it.  Is what I said accurate?

Message Edited by dhascall on 12-01-2009 12:10 PM

18 of 19 (1,198 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 12:32:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

Yes, that is correct.  Determining when the soft padding is applied only takes into consideration recorded shows and not watching live TV.  Thus, you could receive that conflict notice when watching live TV.

dhascall wrote:

Yes, that is correct.  Determining when the soft padding is applied only takes into consideration recorded shows and not watching live TV.  Thus, you could receive that conflict notice when watching live TV.

19 of 19 (1,198 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments