Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 13, 2010
12:04:21 PM
View profile
DVR only records a few minutes of scheduled program...

Hello,

There have been several occasions where my DVR has only recorded a few minutes of a scheduled program.  It is extremely frustrating to sit down to watch a show and see only 7 minutes recorded.  I've checked to see if there were too many shows being recorded but a lot of the time, it may be the only show recording.  It also happens while I'm watching another show.

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

There have been several occasions where my DVR has only recorded a few minutes of a scheduled program.  It is extremely frustrating to sit down to watch a show and see only 7 minutes recorded.  I've checked to see if there were too many shows being recorded but a lot of the time, it may be the only show recording.  It also happens while I'm watching another show.

Thanks for any help.

DVR only records a few minutes of scheduled program...

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 12:08:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Try a hard reboot of your DVR by unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.  If you continue to have problems with recorded programs, call Technical Support at 1-800-983-2811 and request a new DVR.

Try a hard reboot of your DVR by unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.  If you continue to have problems with recorded programs, call Technical Support at 1-800-983-2811 and request a new DVR.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR only records a few minutes of scheduled program...

2 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 12:23:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same problem where the DVR would only show a few minutes, but it actually did record the entire program - the only bad thing is I could not fast forward through the commercials because it would give me the erase/keep until/start over message.

I had the same problem where the DVR would only show a few minutes, but it actually did record the entire program - the only bad thing is I could not fast forward through the commercials because it would give me the erase/keep until/start over message.

3 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 9:14:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

I just recently had the same problem.  AT&T came out and replaced my bad DVR, with a model ending in "16" (?), which he said was a bad unit that the company has started to redistribute after refurbishing.  He installed a DVR with a model # ending in I think "25". 

Well, 2 days later, I am still experiencing the same problem with the new "better" DVR.  I scheduled to record a soccer game, but the DVR only recorded one minute.  I kept the program as evidence.  But the next day, I looked at the DVR via the TV, and the program was still listed, but it had changed in that it was now entitled "Title", and it had lost all cast information.  However, on the web interface, it still had the correct program and cast info.

I called AT&T, and they told me to reset the DVR.  When it rebooted, the 1-minute recording had disappeared from the browse-recording list! 

In my previous DVR, this problem had happened twice.  The first occurrence, I could only play 1 minute of a 2-hour recording.  It just froze at 1 min.  The second ccurrence, the dvr only recorded 1 minute.

The online people say my phone line is ok.  I think it is meaningful that my dvr stops recording at 1 minute.  It sounds like a software problem related to recording at the scheduled time, since AT&T recordings seem to start one minute early.

ANyone else having this problem?

-mj

I just recently had the same problem.  AT&T came out and replaced my bad DVR, with a model ending in "16" (?), which he said was a bad unit that the company has started to redistribute after refurbishing.  He installed a DVR with a model # ending in I think "25". 

Well, 2 days later, I am still experiencing the same problem with the new "better" DVR.  I scheduled to record a soccer game, but the DVR only recorded one minute.  I kept the program as evidence.  But the next day, I looked at the DVR via the TV, and the program was still listed, but it had changed in that it was now entitled "Title", and it had lost all cast information.  However, on the web interface, it still had the correct program and cast info.

I called AT&T, and they told me to reset the DVR.  When it rebooted, the 1-minute recording had disappeared from the browse-recording list! 

In my previous DVR, this problem had happened twice.  The first occurrence, I could only play 1 minute of a 2-hour recording.  It just froze at 1 min.  The second ccurrence, the dvr only recorded 1 minute.

The online people say my phone line is ok.  I think it is meaningful that my dvr stops recording at 1 minute.  It sounds like a software problem related to recording at the scheduled time, since AT&T recordings seem to start one minute early.

ANyone else having this problem?

-mj

4 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2010 12:25:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Go to this link, contact David and give him all of your info.

http://utalk.att.com/t5/The-Lounge/my-contact-thread/m-p/142490#M26475

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 11:33:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The OP's issue is exactly one that I'm familar with.  When in doubt (and if at all possible), baby sit your DVR to see if the red light is on.  Last night, neither  Dancing with the Stars or American Idol recorded.  The red light was not on, on either the box nor the Guide.  Rebooted the POS box and voila, it started recoding but it was too late.

Yes TXGuy rebooting the box works but there is no rhyme or reason to it, so unless you reboot it daily or maybe even hourly, you may get bit by this bug.  Oh and as most of you know, I'm on DVR #3, new splitters new diplexors, new wall plate, the DVR/RG interaction is just plain buggy.  Maybe they should have scheduled maintainence to automatically reboot each DVR at 3 AM local time, unless the system is on / in use.

The OP's issue is exactly one that I'm familar with.  When in doubt (and if at all possible), baby sit your DVR to see if the red light is on.  Last night, neither  Dancing with the Stars or American Idol recorded.  The red light was not on, on either the box nor the Guide.  Rebooted the POS box and voila, it started recoding but it was too late.

Yes TXGuy rebooting the box works but there is no rhyme or reason to it, so unless you reboot it daily or maybe even hourly, you may get bit by this bug.  Oh and as most of you know, I'm on DVR #3, new splitters new diplexors, new wall plate, the DVR/RG interaction is just plain buggy.  Maybe they should have scheduled maintainence to automatically reboot each DVR at 3 AM local time, unless the system is on / in use.

6 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 12:26:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

I spoke to 2nd tier support, and a guy named Jeff told me that the problem is because there contractual issues where a team/league may allow a game to be viewed live but not be recorded for later playback.  It is not technically a blackout of the game.  Jeff said that if I only experience the 1-minute-recording problem on live events, then it is probably a copyright issue.

Again, my dvr deleted the 1-minute recording when I rebooted it, so I have no evidence to show an on-site technician.  But Jeff's explanation makes unfortunate sense.

BTW, I looked at the link below, but it is closed since june-2009.  Can you explain who this guy is and why I should send him an email?

RCSMG wrote:

I spoke to 2nd tier support, and a guy named Jeff told me that the problem is because there contractual issues where a team/league may allow a game to be viewed live but not be recorded for later playback.  It is not technically a blackout of the game.  Jeff said that if I only experience the 1-minute-recording problem on live events, then it is probably a copyright issue.

Again, my dvr deleted the 1-minute recording when I rebooted it, so I have no evidence to show an on-site technician.  But Jeff's explanation makes unfortunate sense.

BTW, I looked at the link below, but it is closed since june-2009.  Can you explain who this guy is and why I should send him an email?

RCSMG wrote:

7 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 4:33:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

When I just clicked on the link you quoted in your post I was taken to Davids information.  David is an ATT tier 2 tech who can has gone beyond what most techs, and csrs have done for people with seemingly unsolvable issues.  And he and his staff have gotten them resolved.  I offered you the link so that you could contact him and more than likely get yours resolved as well. 

Since the link isn't working for you (and I don't know why it singled you out) I don't have anymore suggestions for you.  Maybe someone can offer you another suggestion that will work for you.  My only intention was trying to offer you help.

When I just clicked on the link you quoted in your post I was taken to Davids information.  David is an ATT tier 2 tech who can has gone beyond what most techs, and csrs have done for people with seemingly unsolvable issues.  And he and his staff have gotten them resolved.  I offered you the link so that you could contact him and more than likely get yours resolved as well. 

Since the link isn't working for you (and I don't know why it singled you out) I don't have anymore suggestions for you.  Maybe someone can offer you another suggestion that will work for you.  My only intention was trying to offer you help.

8 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 1:19:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you for explaining who David is.  The link does work for me, I just didn't understand why I should follow the instructions.  Unfortunately, none of the techs I've talked to have given me a case number.  So i think they aren't doing that anymore. 

But, I think my question is answered.  I tried to record 3 MLS games yesterday, and two of them recorded just one minute.  So it seems like the pattern is definitely associated with MLS and Fox Sports Net programming.   I have no way of knowing/guessing which games I can't record, as it has occurred for various teams, zones, and stadiums.

The way two of the techs talked, it seemed like a number of people have called in with this problem.  But still, a lot of techs don't know about it, because they just order up a new box  But since I was on my third box, their process did not allow them to order a 4th box, and the 1st tier tech was required to forward me to the 2nd tier tech, who gave me the bad news. 

It is really unfortunate that AT&T thinks this one-minute recording is an acceptable user interface for customers.

Thank you for explaining who David is.  The link does work for me, I just didn't understand why I should follow the instructions.  Unfortunately, none of the techs I've talked to have given me a case number.  So i think they aren't doing that anymore. 

But, I think my question is answered.  I tried to record 3 MLS games yesterday, and two of them recorded just one minute.  So it seems like the pattern is definitely associated with MLS and Fox Sports Net programming.   I have no way of knowing/guessing which games I can't record, as it has occurred for various teams, zones, and stadiums.

The way two of the techs talked, it seemed like a number of people have called in with this problem.  But still, a lot of techs don't know about it, because they just order up a new box  But since I was on my third box, their process did not allow them to order a 4th box, and the 1st tier tech was required to forward me to the 2nd tier tech, who gave me the bad news. 

It is really unfortunate that AT&T thinks this one-minute recording is an acceptable user interface for customers.

9 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 10:58:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There have been rumors that some sports programming will only record 1 minute due to the fact it can not be recorded and gets that signal during the first minute of recording and shuts down. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

There have been rumors that some sports programming will only record 1 minute due to the fact it can not be recorded and gets that signal during the first minute of recording and shuts down. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

10 of 13 (2,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2010 11:01:57 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have this problem often, I just go to the Menu Options and restart and the recording plays as it should even fast forwarding the commercials.

So far this has worked for me every time.

I have this problem often, I just go to the Menu Options and restart and the recording plays as it should even fast forwarding the commercials.

So far this has worked for me every time.

11 of 13 (1,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 10:00:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

mibrnsurg wrote:

Right, it's not a rumor.  It's a fact, which the 2nd tier tech explained to me.  However, I figured out a workaround.  It turns out that I cannot watch the games live, but Fox Sports Network usually rebroadcasts the games 2-3 more times during the week.  So I am able to record the games when they are re-broadcast (i.e., they become pre-recorded shows). 

It's kind of weird, but on the other hand, I am effectively able to watch almost all the MLS games being played each week.  So it's like subscribing to MLS Direct Kick. 

mibrnsurg wrote:

Right, it's not a rumor.  It's a fact, which the 2nd tier tech explained to me.  However, I figured out a workaround.  It turns out that I cannot watch the games live, but Fox Sports Network usually rebroadcasts the games 2-3 more times during the week.  So I am able to record the games when they are re-broadcast (i.e., they become pre-recorded shows). 

It's kind of weird, but on the other hand, I am effectively able to watch almost all the MLS games being played each week.  So it's like subscribing to MLS Direct Kick. 

12 of 13 (1,866 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 7:05:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Glad that workaround works for you.  All you have to do is avoid hearing the final scores of the games you are recording.

Glad that workaround works for you.  All you have to do is avoid hearing the final scores of the games you are recording.

13 of 13 (1,866 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments