Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 22, 2010
2:19:27 PM
DVR not Recording Many Shows

My DVR is not recording many of the shows that I have set to record every new show in the series.

Sat Night Live was not recorded past two weeks

Chuck was not recorded last week but WAS recorded this week

Simpsons/Fam Guy/American Dad/etc was not recorded Sun night

Sportscenter only seems to record 3 times a week when I want it to record every night at the 3 AM showing.

This DVR is starting to tick me off.

I only have 20 shows recorded onto the DVR, 15 of those are in SD mode, so space should not be an issue seeing as I once had 50 HD shows on there.

Any ideas?

My DVR is not recording many of the shows that I have set to record every new show in the series.

Sat Night Live was not recorded past two weeks

Chuck was not recorded last week but WAS recorded this week

Simpsons/Fam Guy/American Dad/etc was not recorded Sun night

Sportscenter only seems to record 3 times a week when I want it to record every night at the 3 AM showing.

This DVR is starting to tick me off.

I only have 20 shows recorded onto the DVR, 15 of those are in SD mode, so space should not be an issue seeing as I once had 50 HD shows on there.

Any ideas?

DVR not Recording Many Shows

87 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(87)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2010 2:46:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Have you rebooted the DVR?  Sometimes that'll fix any minor problems with out doing a disaster recovery.

Have you rebooted the DVR?  Sometimes that'll fix any minor problems with out doing a disaster recovery.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR not Recording Many Shows

2 of 88 (6,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2010 5:13:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sometimes recordings may not happen because of errors in the guide info, other times it is because if it is a series recording set to "First Run Only" the show may be a repeat.  Other times a recording may be scheduled and not record, and when you try to start a recording the message "Program already recording" or something to that effect will pop up.  If the program is part of a series recording you will have to go in and delete the series recording and set up a new one.  This is the only workaround that I have seen work when this occurs.

Sometimes recordings may not happen because of errors in the guide info, other times it is because if it is a series recording set to "First Run Only" the show may be a repeat.  Other times a recording may be scheduled and not record, and when you try to start a recording the message "Program already recording" or something to that effect will pop up.  If the program is part of a series recording you will have to go in and delete the series recording and set up a new one.  This is the only workaround that I have seen work when this occurs.

What I do is every day I go into the scheduled recording menu and make sure all of my recordings are listed.  After I read your post I checked to see if all of my recordings were set.  And WWE MNR was not scheduled.  I went to check my series recording settings and the series recording was gone.  I setup a new one and the program is scheduled.

What I do is every day I go into the scheduled recording menu and make sure all of my recordings are listed.  After I read your post I checked to see if all of my recordings were set.  And WWE MNR was not scheduled.  I went to check my series recording settings and the series recording was gone.  I setup a new one and the program is scheduled.

Ths is unacceptable for some UV subs, but I have resigned myself to just check my recordings regularly just to make sure they happen when they are supposed to.

Ths is unacceptable for some UV subs, but I have resigned myself to just check my recordings regularly just to make sure they happen when they are supposed to.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 88 (6,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 10:16:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

RCSMG wrote:

What I do is every day I go into the scheduled recording menu and make sure all of my recordings are listed.  

Excellent post RC.  Some of it duplicated and that has happened a few times with your post of late.  PC issue?  At any rate, I truncated it to just highlight the need to "babysit" the DVR.  I will caution that even checking it every day, may not be enough, especially if you have not rebooted it recently.  I have seen an 8 PM scheduled recording show up in the list of scheduled shows at 6 PM but then disappear at 7:45 PM.  OR in the middle of a show.

Rebooting the DVR works most of the time and you have had great success with cancelling a series and re-establishing it.  Sucks that we have to do that but it helps.  A tier 2 and a half told me that some DVR issues get resolved if you delete EVERY scheduled recording and start anew.  That is too hard, especially if a series is not currently on.  Too bad that they do not have an automated process to back up your scheduled recordings, so you can delete them and re-fire them with just one click.

RCSMG wrote:

What I do is every day I go into the scheduled recording menu and make sure all of my recordings are listed.  

Excellent post RC.  Some of it duplicated and that has happened a few times with your post of late.  PC issue?  At any rate, I truncated it to just highlight the need to "babysit" the DVR.  I will caution that even checking it every day, may not be enough, especially if you have not rebooted it recently.  I have seen an 8 PM scheduled recording show up in the list of scheduled shows at 6 PM but then disappear at 7:45 PM.  OR in the middle of a show.

Rebooting the DVR works most of the time and you have had great success with cancelling a series and re-establishing it.  Sucks that we have to do that but it helps.  A tier 2 and a half told me that some DVR issues get resolved if you delete EVERY scheduled recording and start anew.  That is too hard, especially if a series is not currently on.  Too bad that they do not have an automated process to back up your scheduled recordings, so you can delete them and re-fire them with just one click.

4 of 88 (6,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 10:26:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Seriously though, babysitting my DVR sounds ridiculous.  I wish there was a logical reason this was happening, so ATT or Microshaft or whomever could fix it.  This never happened with my Dish DVR or Replay TV.  So far, the only thing UVerse has going for it is the fact that I can watch my DVR from multiple TVs. 

I have most of my shows set to record only the new episodes.  I happen to know for sure the shows it skipped were brand new episodes, and they were all at their regularly scheduled time.  So this is not user error by any means.

I will try a reset on the DVR, but that is the one solution that bugs the crap out of me.  When I reset, I won't know right away if it fixed the problem (or if it doesn't solve the problem).  Then, the problem could show up again a week later!  I could also lose my shows and settings.  Why does any Microsoft attached product always have a solution revolving around resetting?  It's just poor programming IMO.

Going back to Dish is looking better all the time.

Seriously though, babysitting my DVR sounds ridiculous.  I wish there was a logical reason this was happening, so ATT or Microshaft or whomever could fix it.  This never happened with my Dish DVR or Replay TV.  So far, the only thing UVerse has going for it is the fact that I can watch my DVR from multiple TVs. 

I have most of my shows set to record only the new episodes.  I happen to know for sure the shows it skipped were brand new episodes, and they were all at their regularly scheduled time.  So this is not user error by any means.

I will try a reset on the DVR, but that is the one solution that bugs the crap out of me.  When I reset, I won't know right away if it fixed the problem (or if it doesn't solve the problem).  Then, the problem could show up again a week later!  I could also lose my shows and settings.  Why does any Microsoft attached product always have a solution revolving around resetting?  It's just poor programming IMO.

5 of 88 (6,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 5:40:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:42:32 AM

tbanucci wrote:

Not too ridiculous - do you want your shows recorded or do you not? Smiley Tongue  I had to babysit every VCR that I had and my Comcast DVR as well.

Reboot your DVR box every two weeks or so and you should be golden.  That has solved almost all of my issues and I have not had a "missed recording" in two months or so.  It takes all of 3 minutes.

New episode issues are prevalent on any DVR.  Often the network or third party guide producer fat fingers the date and guess what?  Your show doesn't record. 

Did I tell you that with my Comcast DVR, I scheduled a recording for the "Big Break" on Golf Network.  It was from 8-9 PM on Wednesday.  Early Friday morning, getting ready for work, I noticed that the recording light was on.  i didn't think that anything was scheduled.  I opened up the DVR menu and it was almost full - and had already deleted some key programs.  What happened?   The Big Break never stopped at 9 PM.  It recorded for 40 straight hours!  I had all kinds of similar issues with the CC DVR.  Dish may sound better and maybe they will give you 100% perfect service - but I would not hold my breath.

tbanucci wrote:

Not too ridiculous - do you want your shows recorded or do you not? Smiley Tongue  I had to babysit every VCR that I had and my Comcast DVR as well.

Reboot your DVR box every two weeks or so and you should be golden.  That has solved almost all of my issues and I have not had a "missed recording" in two months or so.  It takes all of 3 minutes.

New episode issues are prevalent on any DVR.  Often the network or third party guide producer fat fingers the date and guess what?  Your show doesn't record. 

Did I tell you that with my Comcast DVR, I scheduled a recording for the "Big Break" on Golf Network.  It was from 8-9 PM on Wednesday.  Early Friday morning, getting ready for work, I noticed that the recording light was on.  i didn't think that anything was scheduled.  I opened up the DVR menu and it was almost full - and had already deleted some key programs.  What happened?   The Big Break never stopped at 9 PM.  It recorded for 40 straight hours!  I had all kinds of similar issues with the CC DVR.  Dish may sound better and maybe they will give you 100% perfect service - but I would not hold my breath.

[ Edited ]
6 of 88 (6,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 4:35:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Babysitting the dvr is ridiculous but I haven't had a recording not happen since I have begun babysitting.  Do the reboot every two weeks.  YRMV.

Babysitting the dvr is ridiculous but I haven't had a recording not happen since I have begun babysitting.  Do the reboot every two weeks.  YRMV.

7 of 88 (6,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 11:01:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

Mine doesn't seem to record anything on Wednesday nights.  Even if it shows it scheduled to record, and says it is alrwady recording when I go to the channel and hit "record".

Mine doesn't seem to record anything on Wednesday nights.  Even if it shows it scheduled to record, and says it is alrwady recording when I go to the channel and hit "record".

8 of 88 (5,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2010 1:59:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'd erase those Wed nite series and reset them up and see if that'll work. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, Press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

I'd erase those Wed nite series and reset them up and see if that'll work. Smiley Wink

Chris

9 of 88 (5,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2010 4:50:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

This solutions woks 100% of the time for me.

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

This solutions woks 100% of the time for me.

10 of 88 (5,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 2:55:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

The same thing happened to me!  I missed Chuck a few weeks ago.  I'll bet it was the same episode you missed.  If so, then there might be a more global problem that is not unique to our own DVR's.  Yesterday, Survivor did not record.  Now I have to watch it on my computer!  I just switched over from Dish about 4 months ago.  In my 6 years with a Dish DVR, I never had this problem.

The same thing happened to me!  I missed Chuck a few weeks ago.  I'll bet it was the same episode you missed.  If so, then there might be a more global problem that is not unique to our own DVR's.  Yesterday, Survivor did not record.  Now I have to watch it on my computer!  I just switched over from Dish about 4 months ago.  In my 6 years with a Dish DVR, I never had this problem.

11 of 88 (4,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 4:50:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

This is not meant as a solution but more as a workaround for not missing recordings.  I have had several occasions when recordings were setup as a series recording, but the recordings weren't scheduled.  What I do now is check my scheduled recordings on a daily basis to make sure they are set.  Again, this is not a solution but a workaround.

This is not meant as a solution but more as a workaround for not missing recordings.  I have had several occasions when recordings were setup as a series recording, but the recordings weren't scheduled.  What I do now is check my scheduled recordings on a daily basis to make sure they are set.  Again, this is not a solution but a workaround.

12 of 88 (4,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 7:46:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

dhascall wrote:

Reboot your DVR box every two weeks or so and you should be golden.  That has solved almost all of my issues and I have not had a "missed recording" in two months or so.  It takes all of 3 minutes

It most certainly is ridiculous. The whole idea of a DVR is that you program it and forget about having to monitor your recordings. And the recommendation to reboot is stupid too. I had DirecTV Tivos for seven years and I *never* had to babysit it. I never missed a season pass episode and I never had to reset them.

The bottom line is that the guide for U-verse is of such poor quality that it undermines the very concept of a DVR. The computer types in this forum who insist that it's the user's responsibility to ensure that the box is working correctly are on the wrong path. AT&T is marketing a consumer box and as such, it should work as advertised for every type of user. You may be happy with having to play technical guru but it is indeed ridiculous to claim that every other user should be prepared to do likewise.

dhascall wrote:

Reboot your DVR box every two weeks or so and you should be golden.  That has solved almost all of my issues and I have not had a "missed recording" in two months or so.  It takes all of 3 minutes

It most certainly is ridiculous. The whole idea of a DVR is that you program it and forget about having to monitor your recordings. And the recommendation to reboot is stupid too. I had DirecTV Tivos for seven years and I *never* had to babysit it. I never missed a season pass episode and I never had to reset them.

The bottom line is that the guide for U-verse is of such poor quality that it undermines the very concept of a DVR. The computer types in this forum who insist that it's the user's responsibility to ensure that the box is working correctly are on the wrong path. AT&T is marketing a consumer box and as such, it should work as advertised for every type of user. You may be happy with having to play technical guru but it is indeed ridiculous to claim that every other user should be prepared to do likewise.

13 of 88 (3,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 3:21:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Then we agree to disagree (once again)- and I am through...  

Again, you are more than welcome to leave U-Verse whenever you wish.  Even if a user is supposedly locked into a contract (and only 5% of U-Verser's are), if you complain long / hard enough to a CSR they will most likely let you leave with no penalty.  You just need to have them send you the pre-paid shipping label for the return of the UV equipment.  I'm sure that your next provider will be 100% flawless.  DirectTV sounds like a winner!  1-888-359-0215.

Not being rude or snide, just honest.  I hate to be blunt but there are some folks who clearly can not be pleased / reasoned with.

Then we agree to disagree (once again)- and I am through...  

Again, you are more than welcome to leave U-Verse whenever you wish.  Even if a user is supposedly locked into a contract (and only 5% of U-Verser's are), if you complain long / hard enough to a CSR they will most likely let you leave with no penalty.  You just need to have them send you the pre-paid shipping label for the return of the UV equipment.  I'm sure that your next provider will be 100% flawless.  DirectTV sounds like a winner!  1-888-359-0215.

Not being rude or snide, just honest.  I hate to be blunt but there are some folks who clearly can not be pleased / reasoned with.

14 of 88 (3,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 3:23:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

athenian wrote:

dhascall wrote:

I offered the suggestion so that you could get the shows you want to watch recorded.  By no means do you have to or should you follow it.  I am ssure ATT is working on resolving this problem, but who knows how long it will take.  If offering this suggestion insulted you in any way, please disregard it.
But I won't take it back because there are many subs out there who are looking for a permanent solution.  Since I don't work for ATT nor am I a techinician who can provide a fix for this proble.  I will continue to offer this workaround.  As many other things in life people can take this solution or leave it.

athenian wrote:

dhascall wrote:

I offered the suggestion so that you could get the shows you want to watch recorded.  By no means do you have to or should you follow it.  I am ssure ATT is working on resolving this problem, but who knows how long it will take.  If offering this suggestion insulted you in any way, please disregard it.
But I won't take it back because there are many subs out there who are looking for a permanent solution.  Since I don't work for ATT nor am I a techinician who can provide a fix for this proble.  I will continue to offer this workaround.  As many other things in life people can take this solution or leave it.

15 of 88 (3,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 6:11:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

Only record ONE HD show during any time period.  I had the same problem and have the 1 SD / 3 HD setup.  However, Tech Support told me that with my 25 Meg profile, I can watch 3 HD programs during any time frame but only record ONE.

When I switched competing recordings to SD, the missing episode problem disappeared.

Only record ONE HD show during any time period.  I had the same problem and have the 1 SD / 3 HD setup.  However, Tech Support told me that with my 25 Meg profile, I can watch 3 HD programs during any time frame but only record ONE.

When I switched competing recordings to SD, the missing episode problem disappeared.

16 of 88 (3,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 12:07:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

We have the same problem.  Two weeks ago I called u-verse support and they told me not to reboot, just call back if it happened again.  Well, today it did. We found that Undercovers was not set up to record this week, and sometime, Hawaii Five O dropped completely off the list! Strangely enough it tends to happen on Wednesdays for us too.  Maybe there are just a lot of good shows on Wednesday?  Anyway,I called support today, and  the support person reviewed the "known problems" and this is NOT on the list.  Probably because it is too hard to judge between a person not setting it up correctly, conflicts, and True errors.  MY thoughts are these

1) I am going to reboot the DVR at least once a week

2) I would like to find some good way to check my series planned list against what should be recording each day.  I am a programmer, and if I could find a source for program listings, I think I could do it.  The manual check is just too time consuming.  If I can work it out, I can probably share it.  My first problem is that the web site gives a great report, but it doesn't seem to be possible to read it anyway other than on the screen.  It does not seem to be in the underlying HTML.

3) I would like to get this on the list of known U-verse DVR  problems.  Any idea how to do that?  If we all sent emails to support would that help?

Tivo had a wonderful feature...it lists things in your series not scheduled and why.  That would be so nice here!  But "just working" would be a lot better.

We have the same problem.  Two weeks ago I called u-verse support and they told me not to reboot, just call back if it happened again.  Well, today it did. We found that Undercovers was not set up to record this week, and sometime, Hawaii Five O dropped completely off the list! Strangely enough it tends to happen on Wednesdays for us too.  Maybe there are just a lot of good shows on Wednesday?  Anyway,I called support today, and  the support person reviewed the "known problems" and this is NOT on the list.  Probably because it is too hard to judge between a person not setting it up correctly, conflicts, and True errors.  MY thoughts are these

2) I would like to find some good way to check my series planned list against what should be recording each day.  I am a programmer, and if I could find a source for program listings, I think I could do it.  The manual check is just too time consuming.  If I can work it out, I can probably share it.  My first problem is that the web site gives a great report, but it doesn't seem to be possible to read it anyway other than on the screen.  It does not seem to be in the underlying HTML.

3) I would like to get this on the list of known U-verse DVR  problems.  Any idea how to do that?  If we all sent emails to support would that help?

Tivo had a wonderful feature...it lists things in your series not scheduled and why.  That would be so nice here!  But "just working" would be a lot better.

17 of 88 (3,869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 3:00:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:01:55 PM

nlw wrote:

I was told by a "Tier 2 Plus" Tech (Above Tier 2, I guess) that this is a known issue, along with the Black Screen of Death issue.  It apparently relates to a database server (or servers) on AT&T's end.  The DVR and RG "phone home" to get permission to record (or play back) a show.  If it times out, it does not record or play. http://forums.att.com/t5/Total-Home-DVR/Interesting-quot-Tier-3-quot-Discussion-on-BSOD-issue/m-p/22...

A darned good idea.  Takes all of 2-3 minutes.  Comcast's DVR had to be rebooted too, or it would not always work right.

Lots of folks love Tivo and I would too if it integrated well with U-Verse.  Unfortunately Tivo is not going to easily allow most providers access to the trademarked / patented Tivo processes.   They have sued DVR manufacturers / providers in the past.

Another thing about Tivo and reliability.  I googled Tivo and not recording and found many instances and solutions including rebooting the Tivo box. Smiley Surprised

nlw wrote:

I was told by a "Tier 2 Plus" Tech (Above Tier 2, I guess) that this is a known issue, along with the Black Screen of Death issue.  It apparently relates to a database server (or servers) on AT&T's end.  The DVR and RG "phone home" to get permission to record (or play back) a show.  If it times out, it does not record or play. http://forums.att.com/t5/Total-Home-DVR/Interesting-quot-Tier-3-quot-Discussion-on-BSOD-issue/m-p/2269629/highlight/true#M1041

A darned good idea.  Takes all of 2-3 minutes.  Comcast's DVR had to be rebooted too, or it would not always work right.

Lots of folks love Tivo and I would too if it integrated well with U-Verse.  Unfortunately Tivo is not going to easily allow most providers access to the trademarked / patented Tivo processes.   They have sued DVR manufacturers / providers in the past.

Another thing about Tivo and reliability.  I googled Tivo and not recording and found many instances and solutions including rebooting the Tivo box. Smiley Surprised

[ Edited ]
18 of 88 (3,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 6:41:15 PM
(0)
Teacher
The link referenced does not seem the same to me. That seems to be a scheduled program does not record (phones home and home doesn't answer). This seems to be the scheduled series just quit being listed. Unless every night it phones home! I went to Titan tv and entered all my series in. Now it will show me what should record over the next two days. I can compare this with u-verse any time. Now it will only take a few minutes and be much easier to do. But, of course, this should not be necessary.
The link referenced does not seem the same to me. That seems to be a scheduled program does not record (phones home and home doesn't answer). This seems to be the scheduled series just quit being listed. Unless every night it phones home! I went to Titan tv and entered all my series in. Now it will show me what should record over the next two days. I can compare this with u-verse any time. Now it will only take a few minutes and be much easier to do. But, of course, this should not be necessary.

19 of 88 (3,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 1:25:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The "Black Screen of Death," were a recorded program only shows a black screen, and scheduled shows not recording or not having the red dot on the box or Guide, relates to a server time out issue, per an AT&T tech. Same error / principle.   Reboot the box and that should rectify both - as you are supposedly getting a "fresher connection to the server."

As for phoning home, it is my understanding that the RG and DVR "phones home" many times per minute and maybe many times per second.  That is why some scheduled shows will stop recording part way through.  I had a nasty experience last year with Survivor - at 8:30 PM the red light was on and 8:42 I glance up and look at the DVR and the red light is off.  The list of recorded programs showed Survivor starting at 7:59 and stopping at 8:38.  I pressed the record button and it said "This program is already scheduled to record."  I rebooted at 8:46 and by 8:49 (after it fully came back on, Survivor started recording on its own.  

Tivo uses a phone line in some cases and probably only phones home a few times a day.  Apples and Oranges.

I also heard that you can rebuild your list of recorded shows once in a while - that sounds like lots of work, especially if a series is in hiatus.

The "Black Screen of Death," were a recorded program only shows a black screen, and scheduled shows not recording or not having the red dot on the box or Guide, relates to a server time out issue, per an AT&T tech. Same error / principle.   Reboot the box and that should rectify both - as you are supposedly getting a "fresher connection to the server."

As for phoning home, it is my understanding that the RG and DVR "phones home" many times per minute and maybe many times per second.  That is why some scheduled shows will stop recording part way through.  I had a nasty experience last year with Survivor - at 8:30 PM the red light was on and 8:42 I glance up and look at the DVR and the red light is off.  The list of recorded programs showed Survivor starting at 7:59 and stopping at 8:38.  I pressed the record button and it said "This program is already scheduled to record."  I rebooted at 8:46 and by 8:49 (after it fully came back on, Survivor started recording on its own.  

Tivo uses a phone line in some cases and probably only phones home a few times a day.  Apples and Oranges.

I also heard that you can rebuild your list of recorded shows once in a while - that sounds like lots of work, especially if a series is in hiatus.

20 of 88 (3,778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 1:38:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have had some tv programs setup in in several series recordings so that I would not miss any new episodes.  It has been about 1 1/2 years since I have had to do that.  But I am prepared to do it at any time because that beats the recording not happening at all.  Tivo, DTV, Dish, or Comcast dvrs may not have that problem, but since I don't subscripbe to any of those providers, I don't mind doing this workaround.  As I stated it has been well over a year since I have had to resort to it, but that is how long it has been since I had a scheduled recording not happen.

I have had some tv programs setup in in several series recordings so that I would not miss any new episodes.  It has been about 1 1/2 years since I have had to do that.  But I am prepared to do it at any time because that beats the recording not happening at all.  Tivo, DTV, Dish, or Comcast dvrs may not have that problem, but since I don't subscripbe to any of those providers, I don't mind doing this workaround.  As I stated it has been well over a year since I have had to resort to it, but that is how long it has been since I had a scheduled recording not happen.

21 of 88 (3,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 2:00:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

Can anyone explain why rebooting solves the phone home/server busy problem?  It is hard to see a relationship unless rebooting re-certifies you for a period of time.  

Is u-verse paranoid that we might steal their programming?  The flip side is that we might leave their service because it is so flakey.  And why does this happen to some people and not others?  The friends who recommended it to me never mentioned this.  

I know U-verse can do better. 

Can anyone explain why rebooting solves the phone home/server busy problem?  It is hard to see a relationship unless rebooting re-certifies you for a period of time.  

Is u-verse paranoid that we might steal their programming?  The flip side is that we might leave their service because it is so flakey.  And why does this happen to some people and not others?  The friends who recommended it to me never mentioned this.  

I know U-verse can do better. 

22 of 88 (3,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 2:07:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Rebooting usually causes the software to be redownloaded into the device.  That eliminates any errors/corrupted files.

Rebooting usually causes the software to be redownloaded into the device.  That eliminates any errors/corrupted files.

23 of 88 (3,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 2:08:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

From what I was told, it forces the DVR/RG to contact another server or forces a new connection with the same server.  Don't know why it works but it works well.  I have not had a BSoD or a recording failure (other than a sports event that went long) in 6+ weeks.  I reboot every 2 weeks (but also power outages count as a reboot (if the DVR was on)).

From what I was told, it forces the DVR/RG to contact another server or forces a new connection with the same server.  Don't know why it works but it works well.  I have not had a BSoD or a recording failure (other than a sports event that went long) in 6+ weeks.  I reboot every 2 weeks (but also power outages count as a reboot (if the DVR was on)).

24 of 88 (3,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 2:27:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Hard reboot downloads the software.

Hard reboot downloads the software.

25 of 88 (3,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 2:38:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am not hard booting because I understand I lose everything if I do that.  

I am not hard booting because I understand I lose everything if I do that.  

26 of 88 (3,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 3:01:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by RCSMG on Dec 15, 2010 at 3:01:32 PM

You lose recordings when you do a disaster recovery reboot.  That entails pressing and holding the power, ok, and down cursor buttons until the lights blink.  The hard reboot is unplugging the ac cable for 30 seconds and then reconnecting it.  But if you are concerned I don't blame you.

I hope the soft reboot works for you.

You lose recordings when you do a disaster recovery reboot.  That entails pressing and holding the power, ok, and down cursor buttons until the lights blink.  The hard reboot is unplugging the ac cable for 30 seconds and then reconnecting it.  But if you are concerned I don't blame you.

I hope the soft reboot works for you.

[ Edited ]
27 of 88 (3,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 3:16:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am holding down the power on key for about 10 seconds until it blinks.  Is this the same as unplugging?  This is what a label on the front says to do.

I am holding down the power on key for about 10 seconds until it blinks.  Is this the same as unplugging?  This is what a label on the front says to do.

28 of 88 (3,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 3:21:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No.  Just press and hold the power button on the dvr until the lights blink.  That is a soft reboot.

No.  Just press and hold the power button on the dvr until the lights blink.  That is a soft reboot.

29 of 88 (3,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 5:08:45 PM
(0)
Expert

Or do it the lazy way (my preference)--use your Remote--Menu > Options > Restart.

Make sure you have nothing recording now or scheduled to start soon.

Or do it the lazy way (my preference)--use your Remote--Menu > Options > Restart.

Make sure you have nothing recording now or scheduled to start soon.

30 of 88 (3,550 Views)