Helpful Links

DVR not Recording Many Shows

Tutor

DVR not Recording Many Shows

My DVR is not recording many of the shows that I have set to record every new show in the series.

Sat Night Live was not recorded past two weeks

Chuck was not recorded last week but WAS recorded this week

Simpsons/Fam Guy/American Dad/etc was not recorded Sun night

Sportscenter only seems to record 3 times a week when I want it to record every night at the 3 AM showing.

This DVR is starting to tick me off.

I only have 20 shows recorded onto the DVR, 15 of those are in SD mode, so space should not be an issue seeing as I once had 50 HD shows on there.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 88
ACE - Master

Re: DVR not Recording Many Shows

Have you rebooted the DVR?  Sometimes that'll fix any minor problems with out doing a disaster recovery.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 88
Expert

Sometimes recordings may not happen because of errors in the guide info, other times it is because if it is a series recording set to "First Run Only" the show may be a repeat.  Other times a recording may be scheduled and not record, and when you try to start a recording the message "Program already recording" or something to that effect will pop up.  If the program is part of a series recording you will have to go in and delete the series recording and set up a new one.  This is the only workaround that I have seen work when this occurs.

Sometimes recordings may not happen because of errors in the guide info, other times it is because if it is a series recording set to "First Run Only" the show may be a repeat.  Other times a recording may be scheduled and not record, and when you try to start a recording the message "Program already recording" or something to that effect will pop up.  If the program is part of a series recording you will have to go in and delete the series recording and set up a new one.  This is the only workaround that I have seen work when this occurs.

What I do is every day I go into the scheduled recording menu and make sure all of my recordings are listed.  After I read your post I checked to see if all of my recordings were set.  And WWE MNR was not scheduled.  I went to check my series recording settings and the series recording was gone.  I setup a new one and the program is scheduled.

What I do is every day I go into the scheduled recording menu and make sure all of my recordings are listed.  After I read your post I checked to see if all of my recordings were set.  And WWE MNR was not scheduled.  I went to check my series recording settings and the series recording was gone.  I setup a new one and the program is scheduled.

Ths is unacceptable for some UV subs, but I have resigned myself to just check my recordings regularly just to make sure they happen when they are supposed to.

Message 3 of 88
ACE - Master

RCSMG wrote:

What I do is every day I go into the scheduled recording menu and make sure all of my recordings are listed.  

Ths is unacceptable for some UV subs, but I have resigned myself to just check my recordings regularly just to make sure they happen when they are supposed to.

Excellent post RC.  Some of it duplicated and that has happened a few times with your post of late.  PC issue?  At any rate, I truncated it to just highlight the need to "babysit" the DVR.  I will caution that even checking it every day, may not be enough, especially if you have not rebooted it recently.  I have seen an 8 PM scheduled recording show up in the list of scheduled shows at 6 PM but then disappear at 7:45 PM.  OR in the middle of a show.

Rebooting the DVR works most of the time and you have had great success with cancelling a series and re-establishing it.  Sucks that we have to do that but it helps.  A tier 2 and a half told me that some DVR issues get resolved if you delete EVERY scheduled recording and start anew.  That is too hard, especially if a series is not currently on.  Too bad that they do not have an automated process to back up your scheduled recordings, so you can delete them and re-fire them with just one click.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 88
Tutor

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Seriously though, babysitting my DVR sounds ridiculous.  I wish there was a logical reason this was happening, so ATT or Microshaft or whomever could fix it.  This never happened with my Dish DVR or Replay TV.  So far, the only thing UVerse has going for it is the fact that I can watch my DVR from multiple TVs. 

I have most of my shows set to record only the new episodes.  I happen to know for sure the shows it skipped were brand new episodes, and they were all at their regularly scheduled time.  So this is not user error by any means.

I will try a reset on the DVR, but that is the one solution that bugs the crap out of me.  When I reset, I won't know right away if it fixed the problem (or if it doesn't solve the problem).  Then, the problem could show up again a week later!  I could also lose my shows and settings.  Why does any Microsoft attached product always have a solution revolving around resetting?  It's just poor programming IMO.

Going back to Dish is looking better all the time.

Message 5 of 88
ACE - Master

tbanucci wrote:

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Seriously though, babysitting my DVR sounds ridiculous.  I wish there was a logical reason this was happening, so ATT or Microshaft or whomever could fix it.  This never happened with my Dish DVR or Replay TV.  So far, the only thing UVerse has going for it is the fact that I can watch my DVR from multiple TVs. 

I have most of my shows set to record only the new episodes.  I happen to know for sure the shows it skipped were brand new episodes, and they were all at their regularly scheduled time.  So this is not user error by any means.

I will try a reset on the DVR, but that is the one solution that bugs the crap out of me.  When I reset, I won't know right away if it fixed the problem (or if it doesn't solve the problem).  Then, the problem could show up again a week later!  I could also lose my shows and settings.  Why does any Microsoft attached product always have a solution revolving around resetting?  It's just poor programming IMO.

Going back to Dish is looking better all the time.

Not too ridiculous - do you want your shows recorded or do you not? Smiley Tongue  I had to babysit every VCR that I had and my Comcast DVR as well.

Reboot your DVR box every two weeks or so and you should be golden.  That has solved almost all of my issues and I have not had a "missed recording" in two months or so.  It takes all of 3 minutes.

New episode issues are prevalent on any DVR.  Often the network or third party guide producer fat fingers the date and guess what?  Your show doesn't record. 

Did I tell you that with my Comcast DVR, I scheduled a recording for the "Big Break" on Golf Network.  It was from 8-9 PM on Wednesday.  Early Friday morning, getting ready for work, I noticed that the recording light was on.  i didn't think that anything was scheduled.  I opened up the DVR menu and it was almost full - and had already deleted some key programs.  What happened?   The Big Break never stopped at 9 PM.  It recorded for 40 straight hours!  I had all kinds of similar issues with the CC DVR.  Dish may sound better and maybe they will give you 100% perfect service - but I would not hold my breath.

Message 6 of 88
Expert

Babysitting the dvr is ridiculous but I haven't had a recording not happen since I have begun babysitting.  Do the reboot every two weeks.  YRMV.

Message 7 of 88
Tutor

Mine doesn't seem to record anything on Wednesday nights.  Even if it shows it scheduled to record, and says it is alrwady recording when I go to the channel and hit "record".

Message 8 of 88
Expert

I'd erase those Wed nite series and reset them up and see if that'll work. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, Press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 9 of 88
Expert

mibrnsurg wrote:

I'd erase those Wed nite series and reset them up and see if that'll work. Smiley Wink

Chris

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

This solutions woks 100% of the time for me.

Message 10 of 88
Contributor

The same thing happened to me!  I missed Chuck a few weeks ago.  I'll bet it was the same episode you missed.  If so, then there might be a more global problem that is not unique to our own DVR's.  Yesterday, Survivor did not record.  Now I have to watch it on my computer!  I just switched over from Dish about 4 months ago.  In my 6 years with a Dish DVR, I never had this problem.

Message 11 of 88
Expert

This is not meant as a solution but more as a workaround for not missing recordings.  I have had several occasions when recordings were setup as a series recording, but the recordings weren't scheduled.  What I do now is check my scheduled recordings on a daily basis to make sure they are set.  Again, this is not a solution but a workaround.

Message 12 of 88
Scholar

dhascall wrote:
Not too ridiculous - do you want your shows recorded or do you not? Smiley Tongue  I had to babysit every VCR that I had and my Comcast DVR as well.

Reboot your DVR box every two weeks or so and you should be golden.  That has solved almost all of my issues and I have not had a "missed recording" in two months or so.  It takes all of 3 minutes

It most certainly is ridiculous. The whole idea of a DVR is that you program it and forget about having to monitor your recordings. And the recommendation to reboot is stupid too. I had DirecTV Tivos for seven years and I *never* had to babysit it. I never missed a season pass episode and I never had to reset them.

The bottom line is that the guide for U-verse is of such poor quality that it undermines the very concept of a DVR. The computer types in this forum who insist that it's the user's responsibility to ensure that the box is working correctly are on the wrong path. AT&T is marketing a consumer box and as such, it should work as advertised for every type of user. You may be happy with having to play technical guru but it is indeed ridiculous to claim that every other user should be prepared to do likewise.

Message 13 of 88
ACE - Master

Then we agree to disagree (once again)- and I am through...  

Again, you are more than welcome to leave U-Verse whenever you wish.  Even if a user is supposedly locked into a contract (and only 5% of U-Verser's are), if you complain long / hard enough to a CSR they will most likely let you leave with no penalty.  You just need to have them send you the pre-paid shipping label for the return of the UV equipment.  I'm sure that your next provider will be 100% flawless.  DirectTV sounds like a winner!  1-888-359-0215.

Not being rude or snide, just honest.  I hate to be blunt but there are some folks who clearly can not be pleased / reasoned with.

Message 14 of 88
Expert

athenian wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Reboot your DVR box every two weeks or so and you should be golden.  That has solved almost all of my issues and I have not had a "missed recording" in two months or so.  It takes all of 3 minutes

It most certainly is ridiculous. The whole idea of a DVR is that you program it and forget about having to monitor your recordings. And the recommendation to reboot is stupid too. I had DirecTV Tivos for seven years and I *never* had to babysit it. I never missed a season pass episode and I never had to reset them.

The bottom line is that the guide for U-verse is of such poor quality that it undermines the very concept of a DVR. The computer types in this forum who insist that it's the user's responsibility to ensure that the box is working correctly are on the wrong path. AT&T is marketing a consumer box and as such, it should work as advertised for every type of user. You may be happy with having to play technical guru but it is indeed ridiculous to claim that every other user should be prepared to do likewise.

I offered the suggestion so that you could get the shows you want to watch recorded.  By no means do you have to or should you follow it.  I am ssure ATT is working on resolving this problem, but who knows how long it will take.  If offering this suggestion insulted you in any way, please disregard it.
But I won't take it back because there are many subs out there who are looking for a permanent solution.  Since I don't work for ATT nor am I a techinician who can provide a fix for this proble.  I will continue to offer this workaround.  As many other things in life people can take this solution or leave it.

Message 15 of 88
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support