DVR functions have stopped working completely

Teacher

DVR functions have stopped working completely

I had a tech come to my house today to replace a defective RG. He didn't do anything to anything else in the setup. However, while he was working on replacing the unit, he did accidentally disconnect the DVR's power supply.

Everything seemed fine after the RG replacement, until I tried to rewind TV a few moments ago... nothing. Tried to pause... nothing. Checked my recordings for the night -- just one episode of Seinfeld, containing 30 minutes of black screen & no audio.

When I try to set up a recording now, the record light will flash on and off several times for the duration of the program.

I have already rebooted the DVR several times. No effect...

I've got the Cisco DVR, not the Motorola unit.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Message 1 of 7 (1,084 Views)
Expert

Re: DVR functions have stopped working completely

Try a hard reboot of the DVR by unplugging it for 30 seconds, and then reconnecting the unit.  Let us know if that fixes the problem.

Message 2 of 7 (1,082 Views)
Teacher

Nope. No effect whatsoever.

Message 3 of 7 (1,029 Views)
Expert

Ok. Try rebooting the RG and then reboot the DVR.
Message 4 of 7 (1,018 Views)
Teacher

Already did that -- no effect.

However, I did managed to fix it. When I went into the DVR's system information, it was reporting that there was only one receiver in the house (the DVR). I have two. Went into the RG and ran the extended HPNA test -- there were some errors, but it still showed the other receiver as being connected.

I went to that other receiver and it wasn't able to stream anything from the DVR. I rebooted the receiver, and low and behold - the DVR now works perfectly. System information now shows 2 receivers and the receiver has no problem streaming from the DVR.

I certainly wouldn't have thought the receiver would have an effect on the DVR like that...

Message 5 of 7 (1,011 Views)
ACE - Master

mrbrown1602 wrote:

Already did that -- no effect.

However, I did managed to fix it. When I went into the DVR's system information, it was reporting that there was only one receiver in the house (the DVR). I have two. Went into the RG and ran the extended HPNA test -- there were some errors, but it still showed the other receiver as being connected.

I went to that other receiver and it wasn't able to stream anything from the DVR. I rebooted the receiver, and low and behold - the DVR now works perfectly. System information now shows 2 receivers and the receiver has no problem streaming from the DVR.

I certainly wouldn't have thought the receiver would have an effect on the DVR like that...

I'm no tech but I bet that other box was stealing the IP address from other parts of the system and once you rebooted it, it allowed the system to return to normal.

As a point of reference, I had a secondary STB that I was having issues with (bad coax fittings and an iffy power supply).  I had both items fixed (and the STB itself) and now my DVR and entire system is much more stable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 7 (928 Views)
Expert

Mrbrown congrats on figuring out and resolving that issue.  Seems like a ts csr or the tech who brought the new RG would have run tests to discover that problem.  I hope everything works the way it should from now on for you.  Enjoy.

Message 7 of 7 (895 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.