Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 29, 2009
7:30:49 AM
DVR frozen @ startup everyday

I've had U-Verse phone, internet and TV for 3 weeks now. Every morning (or if off more than 6 hours) our DVR has to be reset/unplugged/rebooted. It was plugged into an APC 550va ups (my existing unit) on installation. Two other non-DVR stb's in other rooms work fine. Tech eventually replaced the DVR, but same problem everyday. T1 support said try plugging it in to a different power outlet, but by itself. Tried that with same result. Tech was dispatched - he moved power cord to a seperate cheap surge protector and yet another outlet. This worked for 3 days but DVR locked up 3 times yesterday each time on startup. T2 support sent another tech this morning. He replaced the DVR power supply and cord wants to wait - you guessed it - 3 days - to see if that solves the problem. TV is a Sony DLP, have tried HDMI and composite connections with same result. Always have to reboot in the morning. Spent many hours reading this forum and found others with DLP tv's experience similar issues. Tried discussing (and referring this forum) with T1, T2 and home support techs, but none will discuss or acknowledge any issue with DVR and DLP tv's. Right now I feel as if AT&T is just stringing me along.

Now I am at the end of my rope. My Directv DVR has worked flawlessly for 4 years connected to the same Sony set. I am about to drop U-verse and return to Directv since AT&T can't seem to solve the problem with the DVR. I really want to like the service and believe it MAY be the way to go in the future. But for me at this time it just doesn't seem to work like it's supposed to.  

I've had U-Verse phone, internet and TV for 3 weeks now. Every morning (or if off more than 6 hours) our DVR has to be reset/unplugged/rebooted. It was plugged into an APC 550va ups (my existing unit) on installation. Two other non-DVR stb's in other rooms work fine. Tech eventually replaced the DVR, but same problem everyday. T1 support said try plugging it in to a different power outlet, but by itself. Tried that with same result. Tech was dispatched - he moved power cord to a seperate cheap surge protector and yet another outlet. This worked for 3 days but DVR locked up 3 times yesterday each time on startup. T2 support sent another tech this morning. He replaced the DVR power supply and cord wants to wait - you guessed it - 3 days - to see if that solves the problem. TV is a Sony DLP, have tried HDMI and composite connections with same result. Always have to reboot in the morning. Spent many hours reading this forum and found others with DLP tv's experience similar issues. Tried discussing (and referring this forum) with T1, T2 and home support techs, but none will discuss or acknowledge any issue with DVR and DLP tv's. Right now I feel as if AT&T is just stringing me along.

Now I am at the end of my rope. My Directv DVR has worked flawlessly for 4 years connected to the same Sony set. I am about to drop U-verse and return to Directv since AT&T can't seem to solve the problem with the DVR. I really want to like the service and believe it MAY be the way to go in the future. But for me at this time it just doesn't seem to work like it's supposed to.  

DVR frozen @ startup everyday

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2009 8:12:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Contact David and his tier 2 team here:
http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

Provide all info required and it might take a short bit of time before they contact you. Give a good
time to call. They will solve your DLP problems. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Provide all info required and it might take a short bit of time before they contact you. Give a good
time to call. They will solve your DLP problems. :smileywink:

Chris

1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR frozen @ startup everyday

2 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2009 10:28:55 AM
(0)
Guru
Simply moving power cords from one outlet to another accomplishes nothing if the outlets are on the same circuit. Even on separate circuits, electrical noise can get through, which surge protectors can't filter. Does your UPS have a power conditioner or isolation transformer? You could also have an electrician check for ground faults on the circuits.
Simply moving power cords from one outlet to another accomplishes nothing if the outlets are on the same circuit. Even on separate circuits, electrical noise can get through, which surge protectors can't filter. Does your UPS have a power conditioner or isolation transformer? You could also have an electrician check for ground faults on the circuits.

3 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2009 2:15:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

No ground faults have been detected. And jeez, if I need 'pure' power just to watch TV then forget it!

It'll go back to Directv!

No ground faults have been detected. And jeez, if I need 'pure' power just to watch TV then forget it!

It'll go back to Directv!

4 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2009 5:34:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

If it was a power issue, I suspect you'd have the same issues with the DirecTV DVR.  I used to be a DirecTV subscriber as well and I spent a lot of time on a forum dedicated to satellite tv and equipment.  The DirecTV DVRs also seem to be affected fairly easily by power fluctuations/surges/etc.  I doubt this is your issue.  

Has anyone checked the run to that particular STB?  Is it coax (rg59, rg6, etc) or Cat5?  Seems like that if the box has been replaced and power outlets changed, that the run from the gateway to that particular STB would be the likely culprit. 

If it was a power issue, I suspect you'd have the same issues with the DirecTV DVR.  I used to be a DirecTV subscriber as well and I spent a lot of time on a forum dedicated to satellite tv and equipment.  The DirecTV DVRs also seem to be affected fairly easily by power fluctuations/surges/etc.  I doubt this is your issue.  

Has anyone checked the run to that particular STB?  Is it coax (rg59, rg6, etc) or Cat5?  Seems like that if the box has been replaced and power outlets changed, that the run from the gateway to that particular STB would be the likely culprit. 

5 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2009 8:49:11 AM
(0)
Tutor
I agree it's not a power problem. It's all new coax from the RG to the DVR and one other stb. Cat5 from RG to one stb sitting right next to RG. I'm going to change all to Cat5. Why installers didn't do this from the start I don't know (I DID request it). Last night I swapped the DVR with another stb to see what happens.
I agree it's not a power problem. It's all new coax from the RG to the DVR and one other stb. Cat5 from RG to one stb sitting right next to RG. I'm going to change all to Cat5. Why installers didn't do this from the start I don't know (I DID request it). Last night I swapped the DVR with another stb to see what happens.

6 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2009 8:19:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am having the same problem, although I have a different Sony TV than you have. I have a 50 inch rear projection Sony LCD. I've had the technicians out to replace 2 DVR's and re-wired everything to CAT5. The technician suggested moving the DVR to a different TV to see if we could replicate the problem, so I moved the DVR to a 32 inch Emerson flat screen and it never freezes on me, only on the Sony TV in the family room. As soon as I bring the DVR back to the Sony, it freezes again. I've tested this for well over a month.

I've given up on finding a solution, I've had technicians at my house for over 4 hours, 3 different times not including the installation. It seems like there is a problem with the Sony TV communicating with the DVR at startup. I will be interested to hear if you or anyone else finds a solution.

I am having the same problem, although I have a different Sony TV than you have. I have a 50 inch rear projection Sony LCD. I've had the technicians out to replace 2 DVR's and re-wired everything to CAT5. The technician suggested moving the DVR to a different TV to see if we could replicate the problem, so I moved the DVR to a 32 inch Emerson flat screen and it never freezes on me, only on the Sony TV in the family room. As soon as I bring the DVR back to the Sony, it freezes again. I've tested this for well over a month.

I've given up on finding a solution, I've had technicians at my house for over 4 hours, 3 different times not including the installation. It seems like there is a problem with the Sony TV communicating with the DVR at startup. I will be interested to hear if you or anyone else finds a solution.

7 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 6:29:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

maybe you could try this:

move the dvr to another room annd swap with a reg set top box to see if this follows the dvr

then see if you have the same problem with the set top box

i realize you will lose the pause, rewind live tv funtions in this room, but this will be along after phase 3 rolls out

maybe you could try this:

move the dvr to another room annd swap with a reg set top box to see if this follows the dvr

then see if you have the same problem with the set top box

i realize you will lose the pause, rewind live tv funtions in this room, but this will be along after phase 3 rolls out

8 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 7:26:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes same problem as brshannon. Moving DVR to another room works fine. Move it back to the SONY and it's frozen the next morning or after going to standby mode. Definitely a problem with Sony rear projection DLP tv's! Of course AT&T has never heard of such a problem so they won't 'officially' acknowledge it. Problem is (as wizkid points out) you lose pause/rewind/ffwd of live tv in the room where I would use it the most. 

T2 support also makes no mention of a phase 3 roll-out to include pause/rewind/ffwd functions to the stb's. Only, "Hey let us know what you find out!". Just roll out the service and use the customers as guinea pigs!

Yes same problem as brshannon. Moving DVR to another room works fine. Move it back to the SONY and it's frozen the next morning or after going to standby mode. Definitely a problem with Sony rear projection DLP tv's! Of course AT&T has never heard of such a problem so they won't 'officially' acknowledge it. Problem is (as wizkid points out) you lose pause/rewind/ffwd of live tv in the room where I would use it the most. 

T2 support also makes no mention of a phase 3 roll-out to include pause/rewind/ffwd functions to the stb's. Only, "Hey let us know what you find out!". Just roll out the service and use the customers as guinea pigs!

9 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 9:51:33 AM
(0)
Expert

Try putting a power filter/surge suppressor on the power line, and plugging both the TV and the STB into that.  Try a Tripp-Lite IsoBar.

By the way, there's no such thing as a rear-projection LCD.  And to my knowledge, Sony made very few DLP sets.  Most likely you have a rear-projection LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) TV.  That's one of the finest televisions ever made, I would hang onto it.  Have it ISF calibrated too, the picture is stunning. :smileyhappy:

Try putting a power filter/surge suppressor on the power line, and plugging both the TV and the STB into that.  Try a Tripp-Lite IsoBar.

By the way, there's no such thing as a rear-projection LCD.  And to my knowledge, Sony made very few DLP sets.  Most likely you have a rear-projection LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) TV.  That's one of the finest televisions ever made, I would hang onto it.  Have it ISF calibrated too, the picture is stunning. :smileyhappy:

10 of 24 (559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 10:23:06 AM
(0)
Guru

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

By the way, there's no such thing as a rear-projection LCD. 

Huh?

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Huh?

11 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 10:29:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

TV and DVR both were originally plugged into an APC 550va UPS battery backup. Look up the specs if you want, Google is your friend.

DVR still locked every morning until moved to another room.

TV is a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand WEGA™ Integrated LCD Rear Projection Television get more info here if you need that also -

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=KDF42WE655

Uverse is really sucking now. Got my first bill - discounts and rewards ARE NOT what was promised. More time fighting with AT&T about that also.

TV and DVR both were originally plugged into an APC 550va UPS battery backup. Look up the specs if you want, Google is your friend.

TV is a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand WEGA™ Integrated LCD Rear Projection Television get more info here if you need that also -

Uverse is really sucking now. Got my first bill - discounts and rewards ARE NOT what was promised. More time fighting with AT&T about that also.

12 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 10:57:02 AM
(0)
Master

hdmi in use ?   try components..........

hdmi in use ?   try components..........

13 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 11:10:43 AM
(0)
Guru

Randy, he said he tried both component (though he said composite) and HDMI. But since the DVR works normally in another room for both Sony owners who posted, there definitely seems to be an EMI issue between Sony rear-projection TVs and the U-verse DVR. Whether it's RF or power related is yet to be determined.

Randy, he said he tried both component (though he said composite) and HDMI. But since the DVR works normally in another room for both Sony owners who posted, there definitely seems to be an EMI issue between Sony rear-projection TVs and the U-verse DVR. Whether it's RF or power related is yet to be determined.

14 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 11:19:00 AM
(0)
Expert

Jmarkey wrote:

The battery backup does not provide isolation between two devices that are plugged into it.  If the TV is putting out interference, the battery backup will not help isolate that electrical noise from the STB.  That's why I suggested the Tripp-Lite IsoBar, becuase it's designed to to exactly that.

I stand corrected on the rear-projection LCD.  Sony must be one of the few who made those.  Very similar to LCoS, but not exactly the same, as LCoS is a reflective technology, while LCD is transmissive.  Still a very fine television, however.

I'm Director of IT at my company and have been working with the Internet for 15 years and computers for over 25.  I don't think I need to be told how to look up things in Google.

Jmarkey wrote:

The battery backup does not provide isolation between two devices that are plugged into it.  If the TV is putting out interference, the battery backup will not help isolate that electrical noise from the STB.  That's why I suggested the Tripp-Lite IsoBar, becuase it's designed to to exactly that.

I stand corrected on the rear-projection LCD.  Sony must be one of the few who made those.  Very similar to LCoS, but not exactly the same, as LCoS is a reflective technology, while LCD is transmissive.  Still a very fine television, however.

I'm Director of IT at my company and have been working with the Internet for 15 years and computers for over 25.  I don't think I need to be told how to look up things in Google.

15 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2009 11:20:23 AM
(0)
Expert

erazoner wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Huh?

Both Jmarkey and brshannon mentioned this in their post.  I had never heard of one, but apparently Sony did make some.  They're very similar to LCoS, but not exactly the same.

erazoner wrote:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Huh?

Both Jmarkey and brshannon mentioned this in their post.  I had never heard of one, but apparently Sony did make some.  They're very similar to LCoS, but not exactly the same.

16 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2010 3:52:32 PM
(0)
Tutor
To confirm that Sony did make rear projection LCD Tv's, my TV is a Sony Model KDF-E50A10, Grand Wega, Rear Projection 50 inch LCD. Also, I have tried HDMI and components, same problem either way. AT&T has no answers for me either, I sure hope phase 3 will add pause and rewind options to all boxes in the home. 
To confirm that Sony did make rear projection LCD Tv's, my TV is a Sony Model KDF-E50A10, Grand Wega, Rear Projection 50 inch LCD. Also, I have tried HDMI and components, same problem either way. AT&T has no answers for me either, I sure hope phase 3 will add pause and rewind options to all boxes in the home. 

17 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2010 2:38:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Jmarkey wrote:

Hmmm.  Well, The Sony SXRD's are not DLP sets.  I have one....55" model.  Back, two years ago, when we first subscribed to U-verse we had the DVR lock up problem. Initially we worked around it by just leaving the DVR turned on all the time.  But after a few months AT&T must have sent an update down the line because we noticed that there was a new delay in the turn-on of the DVR.  ANYWHO....as my mom used to say.....the miscue between the DVR and our Sony went away and we've never had it occur again.

One of the other regulars here on the forum has suggested this procedure which has worked for many:

If you are using HDMI interconnection:

Unplug the HDMI cable from the DVR.  Then reboot the DVR (without the TV connected) by holding in the power button for 5 seconds.  Give it about 5 minutes to completely boot up and plug the HDMI cable back in.  Quite a few folks with Samsung sets had experienced problems and many reported back that this procedure helped them.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher

Jmarkey wrote:

Hmmm.  Well, The Sony SXRD's are not DLP sets.  I have one....55" model.  Back, two years ago, when we first subscribed to U-verse we had the DVR lock up problem. Initially we worked around it by just leaving the DVR turned on all the time.  But after a few months AT&T must have sent an update down the line because we noticed that there was a new delay in the turn-on of the DVR.  ANYWHO....as my mom used to say.....the miscue between the DVR and our Sony went away and we've never had it occur again.

One of the other regulars here on the forum has suggested this procedure which has worked for many:

If you are using HDMI interconnection:

Unplug the HDMI cable from the DVR.  Then reboot the DVR (without the TV connected) by holding in the power button for 5 seconds.  Give it about 5 minutes to completely boot up and plug the HDMI cable back in.  Quite a few folks with Samsung sets had experienced problems and many reported back that this procedure helped them.

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other peoples' money. .......Margaret Thatcher
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2010 6:25:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

UPDATE: Still trying everything possible with no luck. THe only way it doesn't lockup is to relocate the DVR to another room. And that sucks - have to do without pause/rewind/ffwd live tv.

T2 support emailed me two days ago said they would contact me soon.  We'll see what they suggest.

UPDATE: Still trying everything possible with no luck. THe only way it doesn't lockup is to relocate the DVR to another room. And that sucks - have to do without pause/rewind/ffwd live tv.

T2 support emailed me two days ago said they would contact me soon.  We'll see what they suggest.

19 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2010 6:57:59 AM
(0)
Guru

Jmarkey wrote:

UPDATE: Still trying everything possible with no luck.

You even tried a power conditioner? You could go get one (such as the Tripp-Lite recommended by SomeJoe), and keep the receipt. If it doesn't solve the issue, return it.

Jmarkey wrote:

UPDATE: Still trying everything possible with no luck.

You even tried a power conditioner? You could go get one (such as the Tripp-Lite recommended by SomeJoe), and keep the receipt. If it doesn't solve the issue, return it.

20 of 24 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2010 7:12:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Two months later - same problem cannot be resolved. AT&T support is totally useless. TrippLite ISOBAR didn't work. I'M DONE!

Two months later - same problem cannot be resolved. AT&T support is totally useless. TrippLite ISOBAR didn't work. I'M DONE!

21 of 24 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2010 7:38:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

im sorry that your having these problems but the solution is too move the dvr box at least 3-5 ft away from the dlp tv, cause what is happening is the tv is giving off little emps to the dvr and freezing the box.  when the dvr box is far enough away from that tv then the box will work fine.  as the comparision to our equipment and direct tvs your have to remeber that they are two different companies and they dont make the same equipment

im sorry that your having these problems but the solution is too move the dvr box at least 3-5 ft away from the dlp tv, cause what is happening is the tv is giving off little emps to the dvr and freezing the box.  when the dvr box is far enough away from that tv then the box will work fine.  as the comparision to our equipment and direct tvs your have to remeber that they are two different companies and they dont make the same equipment

22 of 24 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2010 8:16:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. I know what a royal pain it is because we too are having the same problem.  I just wanted to let you know that it is not just a Sony tv issue  because we are having the same issues and we have an LG.tv.  We moved from cable tv  to ATT and hate the thought of going back.  We had our problems with cable,  but at least  we didnt have to do this.  Ours gets so bad that sometimes we have to reboot 2 or 3 times a day.  We were  told by one tech that the box may be overheating because we have it inside a cubby in a cabinet.  This however doesn't seem logical.  You would think that these are made with entertainment cabinets in mind.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems. I know what a royal pain it is because we too are having the same problem.  I just wanted to let you know that it is not just a Sony tv issue  because we are having the same issues and we have an LG.tv.  We moved from cable tv  to ATT and hate the thought of going back.  We had our problems with cable,  but at least  we didnt have to do this.  Ours gets so bad that sometimes we have to reboot 2 or 3 times a day.  We were  told by one tech that the box may be overheating because we have it inside a cubby in a cabinet.  This however doesn't seem logical.  You would think that these are made with entertainment cabinets in mind.

23 of 24 (474 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2010 12:22:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Kamakazi wrote:

Provide all info required and it might take a short bit of time before they contact you. Give a good phone # and time to call. They will solve your problems, good luck. :smileywink:

Chris

1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Kamakazi wrote:

Provide all info required and it might take a short bit of time before they contact you. Give a good phone # and time to call. They will solve your problems, good luck. :smileywink:

Chris

1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

24 of 24 (474 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments