Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 25, 2009
5:15:14 PM
View profile
DVR doesn't respond to remote control - my husband figures out a crazy fix!

We just switched from Comcast to U-verse.  Everything was surprisingly smooth and easy until about 6 hours after the installer left and I decided to schedule some recordings. 

THE PROBLEM:  The DVR appeared to ignore the remote.  Installed fresh batteries but it didn't fix it.  The DVR responded perfectly when I programmed it from the internet and it responded to requests from the non-DVR TV's and it worked if you pressed the buttons on the front of the box.  Tried another remote, no change.  Occassionally the DVR responded to the remote for 20 minutes or so but then would stop or would only respond to every 5th or 6th button press.  Extremely frustrating!  We decided it must be the sensor in the unit, called AT&T tech support, they agreed and sent a technician with a new box the next day.  The new box worked briefly but, once again, a few hours later it stopped responding to the remote.  My son noticed that if he held the remote 12 inches from the DVR face, it worked fine all the time.  Well, that's not a solution!

I called AT&T tech support again and the guy I spoke to was certain that I was an idiot that kept forgetting to press the AT&T button on the remote before I tried to control the DVR.  Since this was NOT the case, I hung up feeling extremely frustrated and was on the verg of deciding that we would have to keep our Comcast service which had not been disconnected yet.

THE FIX:  My husband has an electrical engineering degree and he was trying to understand whether the remote was Infrared, LED or radio in an effort to get to the root of the problem since we were now abandoned by AT&T tech support.  We never really answered that question but he did fix the problem by turning the DVR sideways to the room!!!!  Why does this work? We don't know.  My husband is speculating that the signal from the remote may be too loud, instead of too weak, and is bouncing off nearby components and confusing the sensor.  This might explain why holding it 12 inches away worked perfectly, no bouncing.  Of course, my husband the engineer is not satisfied because he wants to understand exactly what is going on but the rest of the family is very happy.  For now, the AT&T DVR box is happily sitting on the shelf with it's side turned toward the room.  I think I'll disconnect the Comcast tomorrow.

There must be something unusual about our component setup because I can't find that other people are having this problem.  So why would we have it with too different DVR's?  Very strange!  I'm posting this in case someone is frustrated by the same problem and looking for a solution.

We just switched from Comcast to U-verse.  Everything was surprisingly smooth and easy until about 6 hours after the installer left and I decided to schedule some recordings. 

THE PROBLEM:  The DVR appeared to ignore the remote.  Installed fresh batteries but it didn't fix it.  The DVR responded perfectly when I programmed it from the internet and it responded to requests from the non-DVR TV's and it worked if you pressed the buttons on the front of the box.  Tried another remote, no change.  Occassionally the DVR responded to the remote for 20 minutes or so but then would stop or would only respond to every 5th or 6th button press.  Extremely frustrating!  We decided it must be the sensor in the unit, called AT&T tech support, they agreed and sent a technician with a new box the next day.  The new box worked briefly but, once again, a few hours later it stopped responding to the remote.  My son noticed that if he held the remote 12 inches from the DVR face, it worked fine all the time.  Well, that's not a solution!

I called AT&T tech support again and the guy I spoke to was certain that I was an idiot that kept forgetting to press the AT&T button on the remote before I tried to control the DVR.  Since this was NOT the case, I hung up feeling extremely frustrated and was on the verg of deciding that we would have to keep our Comcast service which had not been disconnected yet.

THE FIX:  My husband has an electrical engineering degree and he was trying to understand whether the remote was Infrared, LED or radio in an effort to get to the root of the problem since we were now abandoned by AT&T tech support.  We never really answered that question but he did fix the problem by turning the DVR sideways to the room!!!!  Why does this work? We don't know.  My husband is speculating that the signal from the remote may be too loud, instead of too weak, and is bouncing off nearby components and confusing the sensor.  This might explain why holding it 12 inches away worked perfectly, no bouncing.  Of course, my husband the engineer is not satisfied because he wants to understand exactly what is going on but the rest of the family is very happy.  For now, the AT&T DVR box is happily sitting on the shelf with it's side turned toward the room.  I think I'll disconnect the Comcast tomorrow.

There must be something unusual about our component setup because I can't find that other people are having this problem.  So why would we have it with too different DVR's?  Very strange!  I'm posting this in case someone is frustrated by the same problem and looking for a solution.

DVR doesn't respond to remote control - my husband figures out a crazy fix!

33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(33)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 5:42:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your husband did a good job coming up with that solution.  Read the first post in this thread.  This was another fix for that issue as well.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&thread.id=11961&view=by_date_a...

Your husband did a good job coming up with that solution.  Read the first post in this thread.  This was another fix for that issue as well.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&thread.id=11961&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR doesn't respond to remote control - my husband figures out a crazy fix!

2 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2009 10:52:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Have a hunch you have an LCD, check for these settings on your advanced settings on the menu: Dynamic Contrast, Auto or Ambient Brightness, Energy Saver or Auto Iris. If you have any of them or similar ones try turning them 'off'. All of these can cause Uverse remote problems w/an LCD.  It's Infrared interference, if it's a plasma, getting the front of the DVR away from the front of the TV emitting Infrared soved the problem (possibly if an LCD too).  :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Have a hunch you have an LCD, check for these settings on your advanced settings on the menu: Dynamic Contrast, Auto or Ambient Brightness, Energy Saver or Auto Iris. If you have any of them or similar ones try turning them 'off'. All of these can cause Uverse remote problems w/an LCD.  It's Infrared interference, if it's a plasma, getting the front of the DVR away from the front of the TV emitting Infrared soved the problem (possibly if an LCD too).  :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2009 5:51:46 AM
(0)
Master
Do you have fluorescent lighting in the room another source of interference.
Do you have fluorescent lighting in the room another source of interference.

4 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 2:00:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

It's a 47" Phillip's LCD with AmbiLight - lights on the back edges of the TV to light up the wall behind the TV to make it easier on the eyes in a dark room.  We leave them on all the time (if the TV is on) but, now that I think of it, we should probably turn them off during the day.  Strangely, turning the DVR sideways with the front towards the TV works better than turning it away from the TV.  Also, putting a large piece of cardboard between the TV and the DVR to block any IR coming from the TV but didn't affect the remote reception.  I turned off the ambilights and I see no difference in response.  So, for now, we're leaving the box sideways and it works.  But, as I mentioned before, it's still unsatisfying because we're not sure what's going on.  My husband is still working with the theory that the signal is too strong and bouncy so we're somehow finding a magic spot by turning the box sideways.

Unfortunately, turning the box sideways torqued the HDMI cable and, even though the cable looked like it was still plugged in, we started getting that H1001 message about our TV not being able to display HD.  After squarely reseating the plug and making sure there was no tension on the cable, we seem to be able to have HD again.

WOW, this AT&T system has some nice things about it but it seems much more delicate and glitchy than Comcast was!  Though, come to think of it, the satellite boxes (non-DVR's) work flawlessly - they play On-Demand and pre-recorded shows great.  All the glitches are related to the DVR box.  Thanks for your thoughts!

It's a 47" Phillip's LCD with AmbiLight - lights on the back edges of the TV to light up the wall behind the TV to make it easier on the eyes in a dark room.  We leave them on all the time (if the TV is on) but, now that I think of it, we should probably turn them off during the day.  Strangely, turning the DVR sideways with the front towards the TV works better than turning it away from the TV.  Also, putting a large piece of cardboard between the TV and the DVR to block any IR coming from the TV but didn't affect the remote reception.  I turned off the ambilights and I see no difference in response.  So, for now, we're leaving the box sideways and it works.  But, as I mentioned before, it's still unsatisfying because we're not sure what's going on.  My husband is still working with the theory that the signal is too strong and bouncy so we're somehow finding a magic spot by turning the box sideways.

Unfortunately, turning the box sideways torqued the HDMI cable and, even though the cable looked like it was still plugged in, we started getting that H1001 message about our TV not being able to display HD.  After squarely reseating the plug and making sure there was no tension on the cable, we seem to be able to have HD again.

WOW, this AT&T system has some nice things about it but it seems much more delicate and glitchy than Comcast was!  Though, come to think of it, the satellite boxes (non-DVR's) work flawlessly - they play On-Demand and pre-recorded shows great.  All the glitches are related to the DVR box.  Thanks for your thoughts!

5 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 2:23:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

DVR.jpg

In case it sheds any light on the subject since our equipment and set up seems to be a possible factor here, I'm inserting this photo because the proverbial picture is worth 1,000 words.  That's a large sliding glass door to the right of the equipment.  The DVR was originally on the left, under the xBox but we moved it to the right experimentally.  We did get it to work when it was sideways on the left also, we were just hoping it could face forwards on the right but it couldn't so there it sits - sideways.

DVR.jpg

In case it sheds any light on the subject since our equipment and set up seems to be a possible factor here, I'm inserting this photo because the proverbial picture is worth 1,000 words.  That's a large sliding glass door to the right of the equipment.  The DVR was originally on the left, under the xBox but we moved it to the right experimentally.  We did get it to work when it was sideways on the left also, we were just hoping it could face forwards on the right but it couldn't so there it sits - sideways.

6 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2009 1:22:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

I thought you might be interested in my husband's latest theories.

It's all about COPY PROTECTION!!

Okay, so almost as soon as we found a work-around for the remote control problem we began noticing error messages on the screen with the error code H1001 and a giant padlock.  I had seen other posts on this forum that mentioned changing the HDMI cable to a component cable to fix this problem.  We decided to give that a try and it worked!  However, if you have read my other posts you won't be surprised to hear that this did not satisfy my husband.  He wanted to know WHY it worked!!  (Not to mention the fact that he will not quickly give up on a crystal clear 1080i picture!)  Very quickly his web research revealed that it's all about COPY PROTECTION aka DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT!  Switching from a digital cable (HDMI) to a component cable works because when you don't have a digital cable you don't have digital rights management!!

Apparently there is a handshake process, a negotiation between the AT&T STB and the TV about how they will communicate with each other, they want to find their common ground.  We were amazed to find out that this handshake process doesn't just happen at the beginning of the interaction it happens every 2 seconds continuously!  Also, this process is rather delicate and lots of information is being blasted back and forth quickly so if the cable is inadequate and fails to protect against interference and/or fails to flawlessly transmit the information, this can be misinterpreted by the DRM police as an attempt to circumvent and create illegal copies of the content.  That's why sometimes a new HDMI cable can fix the problem because it might provide a cleaner transmission of the handshake data.

My husband theorizes that the processor has a lot of work to do negotiating every 2 seconds and every 2 seconds presents a new opportunity for something to go wrong.  (Actually when you think about it, things must be going right a lot of the time because there are approximately 1800 re-negotiations during a single hour of HD TV viewing.)  So, we were also surprised to find out that our remote control problems disappear when we use a component cable instead of the HDMI cable.  How's that possible?  Sounds ridiculous because you would think that the remote control talking to the box has nothing do to with the cable running to the TV, or does it?  Husband's theory is that the STB's processor is so overloaded when it's communicating with a boarderline functioning TV over a noisy HDMI cable, trying to check and double check so much data every 2 seconds, that it just doesn't have much left over for a 2nd tier issue, resolving the remote control's noise problem.  His theory is that the AT&T (or I guess Motorola or Cisco) engineers planned for the remote to be required to operate in an environment that is sometimes noisy and that it is designed to overcome some of the common environmental problems it was likely to encounter but that still takes processing time.  If the processor is already overwhelmed by the demands of difficult negotiations with the TV, the processor just doesn't have time to address the remote control issues.

I also saw posts about TV's and STB's having growing problems the longer they spend time working together.  Husband's theory is that the engineers built a little forgiveness into the system.  However, as the STB and TV spend more time together and log more problems, the system becomes increasingly suspicious that there is an attempt to make an illegal copy and therefore begins to be more aggressive about interfering and might block SOUND and/or picture until it becomes convinced by a subsequent successful handshake that it can relax, everything's okay.

In SUMMARY:  

1 - Using a component cable instead of an HDMI cable resolved all the problems we were experiencing and I believe we were experiencing nearly every problem addressed in this forum (but we don't want to use a component cable).

2 - Even the remote control issues were resolved by the component cable. STB is now facing towards the room and working flawlessly.

4 - Some lucky users may be able to resolve their problems with a new high quality HDMI cable instead of having to resort to a component cable.

Okay, so almost as soon as we found a work-around for the remote control problem we began noticing error messages on the screen with the error code H1001 and a giant padlock.  I had seen other posts on this forum that mentioned changing the HDMI cable to a component cable to fix this problem.  We decided to give that a try and it worked!  However, if you have read my other posts you won't be surprised to hear that this did not satisfy my husband.  He wanted to know WHY it worked!!  (Not to mention the fact that he will not quickly give up on a crystal clear 1080i picture!)  Very quickly his web research revealed that it's all about COPY PROTECTION aka DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT!  Switching from a digital cable (HDMI) to a component cable works because when you don't have a digital cable you don't have digital rights management!!

Apparently there is a handshake process, a negotiation between the AT&T STB and the TV about how they will communicate with each other, they want to find their common ground.  We were amazed to find out that this handshake process doesn't just happen at the beginning of the interaction it happens every 2 seconds continuously!  Also, this process is rather delicate and lots of information is being blasted back and forth quickly so if the cable is inadequate and fails to protect against interference and/or fails to flawlessly transmit the information, this can be misinterpreted by the DRM police as an attempt to circumvent and create illegal copies of the content.  That's why sometimes a new HDMI cable can fix the problem because it might provide a cleaner transmission of the handshake data.

My husband theorizes that the processor has a lot of work to do negotiating every 2 seconds and every 2 seconds presents a new opportunity for something to go wrong.  (Actually when you think about it, things must be going right a lot of the time because there are approximately 1800 re-negotiations during a single hour of HD TV viewing.)  So, we were also surprised to find out that our remote control problems disappear when we use a component cable instead of the HDMI cable.  How's that possible?  Sounds ridiculous because you would think that the remote control talking to the box has nothing do to with the cable running to the TV, or does it?  Husband's theory is that the STB's processor is so overloaded when it's communicating with a boarderline functioning TV over a noisy HDMI cable, trying to check and double check so much data every 2 seconds, that it just doesn't have much left over for a 2nd tier issue, resolving the remote control's noise problem.  His theory is that the AT&T (or I guess Motorola or Cisco) engineers planned for the remote to be required to operate in an environment that is sometimes noisy and that it is designed to overcome some of the common environmental problems it was likely to encounter but that still takes processing time.  If the processor is already overwhelmed by the demands of difficult negotiations with the TV, the processor just doesn't have time to address the remote control issues.

I also saw posts about TV's and STB's having growing problems the longer they spend time working together.  Husband's theory is that the engineers built a little forgiveness into the system.  However, as the STB and TV spend more time together and log more problems, the system becomes increasingly suspicious that there is an attempt to make an illegal copy and therefore begins to be more aggressive about interfering and might block SOUND and/or picture until it becomes convinced by a subsequent successful handshake that it can relax, everything's okay.

In SUMMARY:  

1 - Using a component cable instead of an HDMI cable resolved all the problems we were experiencing and I believe we were experiencing nearly every problem addressed in this forum (but we don't want to use a component cable).

2 - Even the remote control issues were resolved by the component cable. STB is now facing towards the room and working flawlessly.

4 - Some lucky users may be able to resolve their problems with a new high quality HDMI cable instead of having to resort to a component cable.

7 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2009 1:34:38 PM
(0)
Master

fwiw

randy

fwiw

randy

8 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2009 2:58:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you weren't having the padlock show up before you turned the DVR sideways, I'd say the HDMI cable got slightly loose at one end or the other after turning it sideways.  That can cause the padlock to show up as it's not getting a snug connection and HDMI cables are notorious for loosening up when they are moved the least little bit.  HDMI cables generally don't go bad unless they are flexed repeatedly and break wires inside, so your suggestion that a 'new high quality' HDMI cable will solve problems is unnecessary. :smileywink:

Chris

If you weren't having the padlock show up before you turned the DVR sideways, I'd say the HDMI cable got slightly loose at one end or the other after turning it sideways.  That can cause the padlock to show up as it's not getting a snug connection and HDMI cables are notorious for loosening up when they are moved the least little bit.  HDMI cables generally don't go bad unless they are flexed repeatedly and break wires inside, so your suggestion that a 'new high quality' HDMI cable will solve problems is unnecessary. :smileywink:

Chris

9 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2009 4:48:07 PM
(0)
Guru

BayArea wrote:

In SUMMARY:  

Useful info... Not all people do their own research and not all have an Engineer for a husband. So it will be helpful for users looking for an answer to the same issues you are having.

BayArea wrote:

In SUMMARY:  

Useful info... Not all people do their own research and not all have an Engineer for a husband. So it will be helpful for users looking for an answer to the same issues you are having.

10 of 34 (2,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2009 4:52:11 PM
(0)
Guru

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

BayArea wrote:

In SUMMARY:  

Or we could put it that way too... To simplify the above explaination.

Message Edited by PowerCycle on 07-05-2009 04:53 PM

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

BayArea wrote:

In SUMMARY:  

Or we could put it that way too... To simplify the above explaination.

Message Edited by PowerCycle on 07-05-2009 04:53 PM

11 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2009 11:32:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
I had seen the padlock once before we turned the STB sideways but remember, we've only had it installed about 10 days now and that was on or about day 2.  It was our initial thought also that the cable got stressed so we made sure the cable was snug on each end.  We even swapped it with the DVD player's HDMI cable to see if that helped but there was no change.  We believe it's the build up of errors in the log that was creating the increased frequency of H1001 messages.  The more time the TV and STB spend together, the longer the error log can get.  There are lots of discussions on this forum and on other sites about replacing HDMI cables with shorter cables and/or higher quality, particularly HDMI 1.3 cables, seems to help lots of people.
I had seen the padlock once before we turned the STB sideways but remember, we've only had it installed about 10 days now and that was on or about day 2.  It was our initial thought also that the cable got stressed so we made sure the cable was snug on each end.  We even swapped it with the DVD player's HDMI cable to see if that helped but there was no change.  We believe it's the build up of errors in the log that was creating the increased frequency of H1001 messages.  The more time the TV and STB spend together, the longer the error log can get.  There are lots of discussions on this forum and on other sites about replacing HDMI cables with shorter cables and/or higher quality, particularly HDMI 1.3 cables, seems to help lots of people.

12 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2009 7:22:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's true, most users here will point anyone looking for cables to http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

for HDMI 1.3a cables, high quality, but low in price and the shorter the better (but not too tight).  Here's the reason 

you're getting the padlock:

It usually is a TV problem if the original model age (when it was originally introduced-not when you bought it) is

more than 2 years old (Samsungs of any age). Some manufacturers did not incorporate all the HDMI and/or

HDCP specs into their TVs for whatever reason (cost?) and this is causing handshaking/security problems

between the TV and DVR/STB making the connection problematic. Generally Hitachi, Panasonic, Phillips,

Sony, Thompson and Toshibi TVs should not have problems as they are founding adoptors in the HDMI Org.

The ATT boxes are completely up to specs, but the HDCP regulations cause the DVR/STB to stop the HDMI

signal if it failed one of the many handshake/security signals (and there are many, if you looked into-actually

constantly during connection). :smileywink:

Chris

That's true, most users here will point anyone looking for cables to http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

for HDMI 1.3a cables, high quality, but low in price and the shorter the better (but not too tight).  Here's the reason 

you're getting the padlock:

It usually is a TV problem if the original model age (when it was originally introduced-not when you bought it) is

more than 2 years old (Samsungs of any age). Some manufacturers did not incorporate all the HDMI and/or

HDCP specs into their TVs for whatever reason (cost?) and this is causing handshaking/security problems

between the TV and DVR/STB making the connection problematic. Generally Hitachi, Panasonic, Phillips,

Sony, Thompson and Toshibi TVs should not have problems as they are founding adoptors in the HDMI Org.

The ATT boxes are completely up to specs, but the HDCP regulations cause the DVR/STB to stop the HDMI

signal if it failed one of the many handshake/security signals (and there are many, if you looked into-actually

constantly during connection). :smileywink:

Chris

13 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2009 4:25:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

Our television was built April 2007 according to the sticker on the back so it's slightly more than 2 years old but it is a Philips (model # 47PFL7432D/37).  I'm going to contact Philips to see what they have to say.  Also, we just ordered a 6 ft HDMI 1.3 cable from Blue Jeans Cable.  It appears our existing cable came from Big Lots!  That may solve the problem!

If the new cable doesn't work I guess we just can't use AT&T U-Verse and we'll go back to Comcast, hat in hands.  We're not willing to give up that beautiful crisp HD picture that we did get accustomed to with our Comcast service.  We thought that U-V was newer technology and maybe it is but, since we already invested $2,000 in the TV, we're stuck using a provider that works with this TV.  I do feel that if AT&T is not compatible with certain TV's more than 2 years old they certainly should make that very clear when they are signing up new customers.  It creates headaches for everyone, a bad reputation for AT&T and it costs them money in tech support time.  I really don't understand why they haven't sorted this out.  No one is going to just gracefully accept "It's not our fault it's your TV's fault"  - especially if they spent $2,000 or more on that TV and it's a reputable brand.

Also, according to my husband who has been reading up on this even more, the HDCP technology itself is fragile and should never have been accepted as the standard.  They should have waited until they had something more robust because its destined to make life difficult for everyone the way it is right now.  It may not be AT&T's fault if I can't use an HDMI cable but it certainly is their fault that they failed to warn me of that possibility.  I'll post again when we get the new cable installed.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Anne

Our television was built April 2007 according to the sticker on the back so it's slightly more than 2 years old but it is a Philips (model # 47PFL7432D/37).  I'm going to contact Philips to see what they have to say.  Also, we just ordered a 6 ft HDMI 1.3 cable from Blue Jeans Cable.  It appears our existing cable came from Big Lots!  That may solve the problem!

If the new cable doesn't work I guess we just can't use AT&T U-Verse and we'll go back to Comcast, hat in hands.  We're not willing to give up that beautiful crisp HD picture that we did get accustomed to with our Comcast service.  We thought that U-V was newer technology and maybe it is but, since we already invested $2,000 in the TV, we're stuck using a provider that works with this TV.  I do feel that if AT&T is not compatible with certain TV's more than 2 years old they certainly should make that very clear when they are signing up new customers.  It creates headaches for everyone, a bad reputation for AT&T and it costs them money in tech support time.  I really don't understand why they haven't sorted this out.  No one is going to just gracefully accept "It's not our fault it's your TV's fault"  - especially if they spent $2,000 or more on that TV and it's a reputable brand.

Also, according to my husband who has been reading up on this even more, the HDCP technology itself is fragile and should never have been accepted as the standard.  They should have waited until they had something more robust because its destined to make life difficult for everyone the way it is right now.  It may not be AT&T's fault if I can't use an HDMI cable but it certainly is their fault that they failed to warn me of that possibility.  I'll post again when we get the new cable installed.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Anne

14 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 7:12:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Unluckily, there really is no hard and fast rule about which TVs will work w/HDMI on Uverse.  Age is the main

determining factor, but brand is as well.   Literally many installers use component cables to forestall HDMI

problems cropping up, so ATT is aware of the problems.  It's impossible to make TVs that don't have the 

electronic capability for HDCP 1.3 work w/the HDCP 1.3 compliant DVR/STBs.  Possibly Phillips has a download

for your TV that could help w/this online.

HDCP itself is not 'fragile', works fine in compliant TVs (in my case a 3/08 Panasonic plasma flawless w/HDMI for a year),

just that you can't get it to work flawlessly in non-compliant TVs on Uverse.  Digital Rights Management forced

the use of HDCP, it wasn't voluntary.  Hope the Blue Jeans cable can help. :smileywink:

Chris

Unluckily, there really is no hard and fast rule about which TVs will work w/HDMI on Uverse.  Age is the main

determining factor, but brand is as well.   Literally many installers use component cables to forestall HDMI

problems cropping up, so ATT is aware of the problems.  It's impossible to make TVs that don't have the 

electronic capability for HDCP 1.3 work w/the HDCP 1.3 compliant DVR/STBs.  Possibly Phillips has a download

for your TV that could help w/this online.

HDCP itself is not 'fragile', works fine in compliant TVs (in my case a 3/08 Panasonic plasma flawless w/HDMI for a year),

just that you can't get it to work flawlessly in non-compliant TVs on Uverse.  Digital Rights Management forced

the use of HDCP, it wasn't voluntary.  Hope the Blue Jeans cable can help. :smileywink:

Chris

15 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 12:03:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

My HDMI connections on 3 Sony HDTV's have been working flawlessly for 2 months.

My HDMI connections on 3 Sony HDTV's have been working flawlessly for 2 months.

16 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2009 9:41:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

FINAL SOLUTION:  Okay, so all the discussion about how to fix our problems boils down to this – with a new HDMI cable from Blue Jeans Cable ($19 plus shipping) EVERYTHING works as it should.  None of the other klugy fixes are needed, just a new HDMI cable.  What’s the take-away here?  A good quality HDMI cable matters, alot!  We had 2 HDMI cables, one came bundled with our SONY DVD player and the other was purchased at Big Lots so we clearly did not have a high quality cable when we started this process.  The odd thing is that the cable appeared to be working fine for a couple of days.  Our first symptom, which we did experience immediately (well, as soon as the installer was gone, why did it work while he was in the house?) was that the STB wouldn’t listen to the remote control.  Our crazy work-around for that was to turn the box sideways to the room but even that didn’t seem to work if the box had been idle for several hours, we had to “wake it up” and be patient until it started working.

Next fix was going to component cables – that fixed all our symptoms all the time so we decided to order a high quality HDMI cable.

Now, with the high quality cable installed, all of our symptoms are gone completely.  My husband has a new found respect for high quality cables vs cheap cables. 

Thanks Randy (man of few words) for the link to Blue Jeans Cable.  My husband loved their thorough explanations with the technical details about the cables and wanted to support the company because he liked the way they think. 

FINAL SOLUTION:  Okay, so all the discussion about how to fix our problems boils down to this – with a new HDMI cable from Blue Jeans Cable ($19 plus shipping) EVERYTHING works as it should.  None of the other klugy fixes are needed, just a new HDMI cable.  What’s the take-away here?  A good quality HDMI cable matters, alot!  We had 2 HDMI cables, one came bundled with our SONY DVD player and the other was purchased at Big Lots so we clearly did not have a high quality cable when we started this process.  The odd thing is that the cable appeared to be working fine for a couple of days.  Our first symptom, which we did experience immediately (well, as soon as the installer was gone, why did it work while he was in the house?) was that the STB wouldn’t listen to the remote control.  Our crazy work-around for that was to turn the box sideways to the room but even that didn’t seem to work if the box had been idle for several hours, we had to “wake it up” and be patient until it started working.

Next fix was going to component cables – that fixed all our symptoms all the time so we decided to order a high quality HDMI cable.

Now, with the high quality cable installed, all of our symptoms are gone completely.  My husband has a new found respect for high quality cables vs cheap cables. 

Thanks Randy (man of few words) for the link to Blue Jeans Cable.  My husband loved their thorough explanations with the technical details about the cables and wanted to support the company because he liked the way they think. 

17 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2009 12:18:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

I had a similar, intermittent problem when using HDMI cable that was not easily explained.  My sound lasted until about 2 hours after the install tech left.  It would then come and go.  The next tech replaced the HDMI cable with component cables which solved the problem.  I still wanted to use HDMI.  I checked and found out that my HDTV (Philips) was two software revs behind (and it was manufacturered in May 2009!). 

I was about to attempt a TV software update to see if that would correct the problem when the AT&T software update occurred on 7/9.  Lo and behold, my TV now works with HDMI with the original cable that AT&T installed!

I had a similar, intermittent problem when using HDMI cable that was not easily explained.  My sound lasted until about 2 hours after the install tech left.  It would then come and go.  The next tech replaced the HDMI cable with component cables which solved the problem.  I still wanted to use HDMI.  I checked and found out that my HDTV (Philips) was two software revs behind (and it was manufacturered in May 2009!). 

I was about to attempt a TV software update to see if that would correct the problem when the AT&T software update occurred on 7/9.  Lo and behold, my TV now works with HDMI with the original cable that AT&T installed!

18 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2009 8:28:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you so much for this posting!!! I, too was having the same problems. I had been calling the tech support every day and had 2 separate techs out here. They all made me feel like an idiot. Yes I pointed the remote to the box and not my TV.  Yes, I made sure the ATT button was pressed on the remote. They switched out my remote,  my DVR box, and my gateway.  It all worked great until they left.  I was on the brink of calling Dish network back and resigning my contract when I found your post.  I turned my box to the side and it is working wonderfully, now.  If only someone would tell the kids at the call center to do this trick, it would save people a whole lot of frustration!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Thank you so much for this posting!!! I, too was having the same problems. I had been calling the tech support every day and had 2 separate techs out here. They all made me feel like an idiot. Yes I pointed the remote to the box and not my TV.  Yes, I made sure the ATT button was pressed on the remote. They switched out my remote,  my DVR box, and my gateway.  It all worked great until they left.  I was on the brink of calling Dish network back and resigning my contract when I found your post.  I turned my box to the side and it is working wonderfully, now.  If only someone would tell the kids at the call center to do this trick, it would save people a whole lot of frustration!!!

Thanks again!!!!

19 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2009 6:20:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

mibrnsurg , thank you SO much for this information.

I was recently given a 47" LG LCD TV (brand new :smileyhappy: ) and all of a sudden, my STB remote wouldn't control the STB...unless I was RIGHT on top of it, then it MIGHT work

Changed the settings to "Vivid" from "Intellissensor" and it works again...

Vivid is a bit bright for us...so I'm going to experiment...but THANK YOU

mibrnsurg , thank you SO much for this information.

I was recently given a 47" LG LCD TV (brand new :smileyhappy: ) and all of a sudden, my STB remote wouldn't control the STB...unless I was RIGHT on top of it, then it MIGHT work

Changed the settings to "Vivid" from "Intellissensor" and it works again...

Vivid is a bit bright for us...so I'm going to experiment...but THANK YOU

20 of 34 (2,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2009 8:59:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sure glad I found this thread!

We had UV installed yesterday... while the tech was here, the STB wasn't working with the remote, so he went to the truck and got another. Of course, after he left, the remote quit working again. Frustrated for hours and I even tried the second remote with the second STB... neither one worked.

After reading this thread, I moved the STB and joy - things are working again... seems to be the TV interfering with the signals. I turned off the TV's detection of the room lighting, and that didn't fix things either but moving the STB did seem to fix things.

So, thanks for the thread! 

Sure glad I found this thread!

We had UV installed yesterday... while the tech was here, the STB wasn't working with the remote, so he went to the truck and got another. Of course, after he left, the remote quit working again. Frustrated for hours and I even tried the second remote with the second STB... neither one worked.

After reading this thread, I moved the STB and joy - things are working again... seems to be the TV interfering with the signals. I turned off the TV's detection of the room lighting, and that didn't fix things either but moving the STB did seem to fix things.

So, thanks for the thread! 

21 of 34 (2,846 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2009 8:46:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I appreciate all the researh and testing people have done on this issue. When I first experienced it (after switching to HDMI from component), I figured it was the HDMI cable or port on my TV. Long story short, I swapped ports and it worked for a while, went bad again, tried going back to component. While using component, I never had a single problem, which made me think there was no way it could be related to the settings on my LCD as so many have mentioned. So, I ordered a better cable and that seemed to fix it...again, only for a while (weird how that happens).

Anyway, I finally tried turning off the mentioned options and I'm back up...for now. We'll give it a couple days to see if that fixes it for good. Turning to the side didn't do much for me and I haven't tried the masking tape idea yet. 

My question is, has anyone tried resolving this for the $50 RF remote? I don't want to spend that money, but if that will resolve it for sure, it might be interesting to see if a deal could be worked out for one of those remotes as the frustration of something like this could be a deal breaker down the road.

I appreciate all the researh and testing people have done on this issue. When I first experienced it (after switching to HDMI from component), I figured it was the HDMI cable or port on my TV. Long story short, I swapped ports and it worked for a while, went bad again, tried going back to component. While using component, I never had a single problem, which made me think there was no way it could be related to the settings on my LCD as so many have mentioned. So, I ordered a better cable and that seemed to fix it...again, only for a while (weird how that happens).

Anyway, I finally tried turning off the mentioned options and I'm back up...for now. We'll give it a couple days to see if that fixes it for good. Turning to the side didn't do much for me and I haven't tried the masking tape idea yet. 

My question is, has anyone tried resolving this for the $50 RF remote? I don't want to spend that money, but if that will resolve it for sure, it might be interesting to see if a deal could be worked out for one of those remotes as the frustration of something like this could be a deal breaker down the road.

22 of 34 (2,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2009 7:03:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just recently had UVerse installed, and found the same issue with the DVR box not receiving signals from the remote. I have a Sony KDL-42V4100, and turning off the light auto-sensor fixed 99% of the issue. The remaining 1% is caused by sitting too far away, or near a lamp with a CFL bulb. The strange part is that the IR remote for the TV always worked perfectly.

I also notice that if the DVR is positioned lower than my seating position, the remote works better...

I must mention that I had this same problem, albeit not as bad, with my previous Comcast DVR, which was also a Motorola box. I think this should be addressed by Motorola, perhaps they're using an IR range that is too close to that emitted by the TV's light sensor

Anyone encounteer this with the Cisco boxes?

I just recently had UVerse installed, and found the same issue with the DVR box not receiving signals from the remote. I have a Sony KDL-42V4100, and turning off the light auto-sensor fixed 99% of the issue. The remaining 1% is caused by sitting too far away, or near a lamp with a CFL bulb. The strange part is that the IR remote for the TV always worked perfectly.

I also notice that if the DVR is positioned lower than my seating position, the remote works better...

I must mention that I had this same problem, albeit not as bad, with my previous Comcast DVR, which was also a Motorola box. I think this should be addressed by Motorola, perhaps they're using an IR range that is too close to that emitted by the TV's light sensor

Anyone encounteer this with the Cisco boxes?

23 of 34 (2,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2009 5:31:28 PM
(0)
Mentor
I have Uverse installed today.  Got the Cisco IPN4320 and I can confirm that this is still an issue with these boxes.  Turning the box 45 degrees away from the TV fixes the issue.  It happens with both the stock remote and Logitech 700 remote.  We have never had issues with any of the multiple tv's, dvd players, or A/V receivers we have had over the years and used with our Logitech remote.
I have Uverse installed today.  Got the Cisco IPN4320 and I can confirm that this is still an issue with these boxes.  Turning the box 45 degrees away from the TV fixes the issue.  It happens with both the stock remote and Logitech 700 remote.  We have never had issues with any of the multiple tv's, dvd players, or A/V receivers we have had over the years and used with our Logitech remote.

24 of 34 (2,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2009 12:03:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have had the same problem and it seems to be getting worse.  In the evenings, between 7 and 8 I have to hold the remote right up to the DVR to get it to work.  Lately, it is happening around 6 to 8.  During all other times the remote works well.  I have changed batteries and used different remotes but that did not work.  Now I just suffer through of 2 hours of getting up and down to fast forward through the commercials.  I will try turning the DVR and the plastic wrap/masking tape solutions. 
I have had the same problem and it seems to be getting worse.  In the evenings, between 7 and 8 I have to hold the remote right up to the DVR to get it to work.  Lately, it is happening around 6 to 8.  During all other times the remote works well.  I have changed batteries and used different remotes but that did not work.  Now I just suffer through of 2 hours of getting up and down to fast forward through the commercials.  I will try turning the DVR and the plastic wrap/masking tape solutions. 

25 of 34 (2,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2009 12:46:33 PM
(0)
Expert

sjhbruin wrote:

If you have an "Auto Brightness" or "Dynamic Brightness" setting or something similar on your TV, turn it off.  These settings modulate the backlight of LCD TVs and will cause a large amount of IR interference.

sjhbruin wrote:

If you have an "Auto Brightness" or "Dynamic Brightness" setting or something similar on your TV, turn it off.  These settings modulate the backlight of LCD TVs and will cause a large amount of IR interference.

26 of 34 (2,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2009 8:28:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

I love this response.  Don't get me wrong, this might be a valid solution, but it's extremely disappointing that of all the AV equipment I own, the Uverse DVR box is the only thing that has ever had this issue.

It became too much of a problem.  Two replacement remotes + no solution = wife wants the Uverse TV gone.  I'll be cancelling tomorrow.

Message Edited by loki_racer on 12-16-2009 11:28 PM

I love this response.  Don't get me wrong, this might be a valid solution, but it's extremely disappointing that of all the AV equipment I own, the Uverse DVR box is the only thing that has ever had this issue.

It became too much of a problem.  Two replacement remotes + no solution = wife wants the Uverse TV gone.  I'll be cancelling tomorrow.

Message Edited by loki_racer on 12-16-2009 11:28 PM

27 of 34 (2,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2009 10:03:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Careful with that door...You know what happens!!  Don't let it hit you......oh, never mind:smileyvery-happy:

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Careful with that door...You know what happens!!  Don't let it hit you......oh, never mind:smileyvery-happy:

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

28 of 34 (2,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2009 10:21:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

BeeBee wrote:

I can only hope your sentiment isn't shared by ATT.  I would think they would value my $65/mo for TV service a little more than it costs them to use IR receivers that work with common name brand tv's and remotes.

BeeBee wrote:

I can only hope your sentiment isn't shared by ATT.  I would think they would value my $65/mo for TV service a little more than it costs them to use IR receivers that work with common name brand tv's and remotes.

29 of 34 (2,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 7:17:02 AM
(0)
Expert

loki_racer wrote:

You asked the question, you received a valid response that is a possible solution.  Did you even try it?  What were the results?

I didn't build the U-Verse box, I just know what's wrong with it. :smileyhappy:

If you feel you need to move to another provider or otherwise cancel U-Verse for whatever reason, that is certainly your right and you should do what's best for you.  But don't chastize my response because it's not what you wanted to hear.

loki_racer wrote:

You asked the question, you received a valid response that is a possible solution.  Did you even try it?  What were the results?

I didn't build the U-Verse box, I just know what's wrong with it. :smileyhappy:

If you feel you need to move to another provider or otherwise cancel U-Verse for whatever reason, that is certainly your right and you should do what's best for you.  But don't chastize my response because it's not what you wanted to hear.

30 of 34 (2,849 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments