DVR app for BlackBerry

Teacher

DVR app for BlackBerry

So, you made one for iPhones... when are you going to make one for us BlackBerry folk!?  We want one!

----

Yes, I know ATT pushes iPhone and yes I know there is a mobile shortcut url which you can use on the phone... I just would like to see a full fledge app pushed out...

Message 1 of 9 (825 Views)
Expert

Re: DVR app for BlackBerry

If you can pull up mobile web sites on the Blackberry, you can use the U-Verse Mobile Web Remote:

http://us.m1.yahoo.com/p/wra

Message 2 of 9 (825 Views)
Teacher

haha... sometimes I guess it doesn't matter what you include in the op you are still going to get the answer you knew you would :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I know there is... that's why I said that in the op.  I would like to see a standalone app though.  Certainly a standalone could bring with it more options that the mobile site... for the record I have the mobile site bookmarked... I guess I should have included that as well just so there was no confusion.

Message 3 of 9 (825 Views)
Expert

Can the public write Apps for BBs like they can for iPhone?

Message 4 of 9 (825 Views)
Expert

morrow95 wrote:

haha... sometimes I guess it doesn't matter what you include in the op you are still going to get the answer you knew you would :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I know there is... that's why I said that in the op.  I would like to see a standalone app though.  Certainly a standalone could bring with it more options that the mobile site... for the record I have the mobile site bookmarked... I guess I should have included that as well just so there was no confusion.

Excuse me, but just exactly who do you think I am?  Do you think I'm the AT&T mobile application developer?

I'm an end-user of U-Verse, just like you.  I don't work for AT&T.  If you want a Blackberry application to the exclusion of anything else, I cannot help you with that.  I'm simply trying to help you solve your problem (manage DVR recordings from a Blackberry).

It really irritates me when people go out of their way to help others on this forum and then get laughed at because it's not the answer they want to hear.

Message 5 of 9 (825 Views)
Teacher

LOL.. I wasn't not trying to be mean so please do not take it as so.  I was just pointing out I'm fully aware there is the mobile site and was not looking for someone to say 'oh, have you checked out the mobile site - that solves your problem'.

That is why I included those comments in my original post - so nobody would waste their time replying with that and to keep the post on topic... a lot of us want a standalone app for the BB... rather than using the mobile site.

Message 6 of 9 (825 Views)
Expert

morrow95 wrote:

LOL.. I wasn't not trying to be mean so please do not take it as so.  I was just pointing out I'm fully aware there is the mobile site and was not looking for someone to say 'oh, have you checked out the mobile site - that solves your problem'.

That is why I included those comments in my original post - so nobody would waste their time replying with that and to keep the post on topic... a lot of us want a standalone app for the BB... rather than using the mobile site.

Again with the "laughter".  Wow, we must really be beneath you, I guess.

Your comment regarding the mobile site was placed as the bottom line of your post after a "------" divider line, which makes it look like part of a signature.  Signatures usually don't have anything to do with a post, so people don't read them when they're trying to determine your issue.

On top of that, you're speaking to AT&T directly in the first line of your post, which doesn't make any sense on a peer-to-peer forum.

I'll make sure and remember you when I'm browsing the forum looking for people to help.  I'll defer to someone else to assist you since my responses apparently are just comedic folly.

Message 7 of 9 (825 Views)
Professor

My opinion? You won't see AT&T spend resources on a BlackBerry app for Uverse.

The tie-in for the iPhone and AT&T is obvious as is the simple fact that iPhone is one platform with one code base. There are scads of BlackBerry models and operating system versions to consider. Developing and supporting it would be a chore for something that they would be expected to give away for free.

It's a non-starter, IMO.

Message 8 of 9 (825 Views)
Highlighted

callmeox wrote:

My opinion? You won't see AT&T spend resources on a BlackBerry app for Uverse.

The tie-in for the iPhone and AT&T is obvious as is the simple fact that iPhone is one platform with one code base. There are scads of BlackBerry models and operating system versions to consider. Developing and supporting it would be a chore for something that they would be expected to give away for free.

It's a non-starter, IMO.

I have to agree with callmeox, the iPhone is one of AT&T's biggest smartphones out right now, and with the complexity and wide variety of Blackberry phones (which happens to be the worst smartphones on the market IMO), it's a lot easier to make an app for an iPhone than it is a Blackberry

When you make an app for the iPhone or iPod Touch, you use a program developed by apple to make the app, then you send it into Apple for it to be approved and added to the App Store, and being that every iPhone basically works the same way, most Apps will work the same on every iPhone or iPod touch

With the Blackberry, it's usually up to the provider (or lone programer) to offer the Apps, and Apps are downloaded differently on the Blackberry, instead of putting all the downloads in a central location like Apple (App Store), you download Apps on the Blackberry a lot like you download a program on your computer, you go to a website that offers the Blackberry App you want that is compatible with yor Blackberry using the Blackberry's web browser, you agree to an online HTML based EULA, then eventually download your App, being that there is no central place to download commercial apps for the Blackberry (except for maybe App World), there is no place for AT&T to just add their App and have RIM deal with it (like how Apple deals with all their Apps), making it that much harder for AT&T to make an App for the Blackberry, not tom mention they have to make one tailored for each and every specific Blackberry

Also, the iPhone is nothing more than an iPod Touch with a cell phone feature, the majority of the apps for the iPhone are actually iPod Touch Apps (of course there are some iPhone only Apps, but very few), and the U-verse DVR App is no exception, the U-verse DVR App is an iPod Touch app (not exactly an iPhone App), that also works on the iPhone (being the iPhone uses the same OS as the iPod Touch), so the U-verse DVR App wasn't designed to be a smartphone App, but more of a portable remote access App to access your DVR away from home

The best advice I can give is to buy an iPod touch, and assuming your Blackberry has WiFi out/MiFi, connect the iPod Touch to the Blackberry using WiFi

Message 9 of 9 (825 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.