DVR Reboot

ACE - Expert

DVR Reboot

How often would you, the experienced and knowledgeable level U-verse tech support group, suggest rebooting your u-verse DVR?  What would you think of putting it on a timer that could automate that "reboot?"

--- long background story... ignore this part if you want ---

Sunday night my wife yells at me in a panic because the season finale episodes of Desperate Housewives and whatever follows it were no longer showing on the DVR with the "red dot" and it was 30 minutes into D.H.  She tried to hit the record button and it said it was already being recorded.  Both shows were on series record, had been recording successfully for weeks and both episodes had previously shown up as going to record. 

Looking from the Yahoo page, it showed them as recording.  Looking at the bandwidth consumption for the RG it was clear that it was not actually being recorded. 

I got on chat to see if there was anything to do other than reboot.  He asked if all the boxes were on so he could check them.  By "check" them he meant remotely order them to reboot themselves.  Now... given that my wife was already pissed off that she had missed 30 minutes of a show she thought was being recorded (and had not, incidently watched last week's episode yet), you can imagine how she would react to the message that the box was about to reboot in the middle of the show. :smileymad:  So I cancelled the reboot.  I ended up rebooting it at 10:00 (between shows).  Of course all was "okay" after the reboot: the 10:00 show suddenly now has its red dot and is recording.  I was told yesterday that the point I picked for the reboot caused her to miss an important part of Survivor which was successfully recording on another channel.

So, I ask the guy on chat how often should I reboot the DVR as preventative maintenance.  He says I should just leave it off when we're not watching it.  I said we do leave it "off," but it's obviously really in stand-by doing stuff in the background.  Eventually he says we should leave it unplugged when not using it.  :smileysurprised:  As if. 

--- end of long background story ---

Anyway, I'm not going to leave it unplugged all the time (you gotta be kidding me).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 4
ACE - Master

Re: DVR Reboot

JefferMC wrote:

How often would you, the experienced and knowledgeable level U-verse tech support group, suggest rebooting your u-verse DVR?  What would you think of putting it on a timer that could automate that "reboot?"

--- long background story... ignore this part if you want ---

Sunday night my wife yells at me in a panic because the season finale episodes of Desperate Housewives and whatever follows it were no longer showing on the DVR with the "red dot" and it was 30 minutes into D.H.  She tried to hit the record button and it said it was already being recorded.  Both shows were on series record, had been recording successfully for weeks and both episodes had previously shown up as going to record. 

Looking from the Yahoo page, it showed them as recording.  Looking at the bandwidth consumption for the RG it was clear that it was not actually being recorded. 

I got on chat to see if there was anything to do other than reboot.  He asked if all the boxes were on so he could check them.  By "check" them he meant remotely order them to reboot themselves.  Now... given that my wife was already pissed off that she had missed 30 minutes of a show she thought was being recorded (and had not, incidently watched last week's episode yet), you can imagine how she would react to the message that the box was about to reboot in the middle of the show. :smileymad:  So I cancelled the reboot.  I ended up rebooting it at 10:00 (between shows).  Of course all was "okay" after the reboot: the 10:00 show suddenly now has its red dot and is recording.  I was told yesterday that the point I picked for the reboot caused her to miss an important part of Survivor which was successfully recording on another channel.

So, I ask the guy on chat how often should I reboot the DVR as preventative maintenance.  He says I should just leave it off when we're not watching it.  I said we do leave it "off," but it's obviously really in stand-by doing stuff in the background.  Eventually he says we should leave it unplugged when not using it.  :smileysurprised:  As if. 

--- end of long background story ---

Anyway, I'm not going to leave it unplugged all the time (you gotta be kidding me).

This has happened to me and may still be happening.  I have had discussion with Texasguy37 and others about the same issue and I have also asked, "(yes I know that rebooting fixes the issue (temporarily)) but how often should I reboot it?"  I never got an answer to that.  I'm almost certain that you could reboot it daily and still have this issue.  Likewise, I am convinced that it is not an issue in our own homes - I'm convinced that there is a software glitch that will stop a recording midstream.  Rebooting it resets the software and gets the software bug temporarily resolved and then you are good to go, until the next time.  I have noticed this behavior during prime time (not after 10, so not part of the TV Service Unavailable bug) but more importantly it seems to happen during popular show.  Maybe so many folks are recording Survivor, DWTS, DH and so on?  I know that I'm grasping at straws.  I think that it also happened once during Madhouse, so maybe that's not it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

I've had the no red dot on the show and says it is already scheduled, 2 days before air date and still no red dot.  I deleted the series record and set up a new series record on that episode 2 days away and has worked since then w/o this problem. 

Know we shouldn't have to do BS like this, but if the DVR is gonna be buggy (and it is MS Windows CE, so should be no surprise) I gotta do what I have to for the ability to see what I want. :smileymad:

Edit: Usually posted to reboot the DVR once a month, some are even saying reboot the RG every month too as it's vital in many of the DVR/STB problems.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 3 of 4
Expert

I don't reboot my dvr monthly as a rule.  When issues arise I use serveral methods depending on the problem.  When I don't see the red dot for one of my scheduled recordings and I know it is a new episode.  I delete the series recording and setup a new one.  That resolves the problem.  The equipment gets twitchy and we have to do workarounds to resolve issues.  At least we don't have to use some of the ones that were needed to resolve issues from a few years ago.  The service is getting better, but sometimes in baby steps.  IMO

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support