Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 17, 2009
6:56:41 AM
DVR Freezing when I turn on my TV
So I just got my u-verse service installed on saturday.  Today is tuesday and I've had to reset my dvr (holding the power button for 5 seconds) probably 4 or 5 times already.  When I turn on my tv and receiver i usually briefly hear the audio come through my speakers but when my tv warms up the whole thing freezes and i have to reset my dvr to get it to work.  This is really annoying if there is a recording going on because it interrupts it and it also takes a good 5 minutes.  My DVR is hooked up to my tv with component cables and i'm using optical for my audio.  What is going on here?
So I just got my u-verse service installed on saturday.  Today is tuesday and I've had to reset my dvr (holding the power button for 5 seconds) probably 4 or 5 times already.  When I turn on my tv and receiver i usually briefly hear the audio come through my speakers but when my tv warms up the whole thing freezes and i have to reset my dvr to get it to work.  This is really annoying if there is a recording going on because it interrupts it and it also takes a good 5 minutes.  My DVR is hooked up to my tv with component cables and i'm using optical for my audio.  What is going on here?

DVR Freezing when I turn on my TV

78 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(78)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2009 9:44:55 AM
(0)
Teacher
Unfortunately, I too am having freezing issues. Approximately 40-50% of the time I turn my TV/DVR on its got a frozen screen. Its pretty frustrating to have to wait at least once per day for the system to reset after holding the power buttun down. It only does it with my DVR, and not the regular reciever. Its obviously a bug with the DVR, and I hope it gets fixed with the new update.
Unfortunately, I too am having freezing issues. Approximately 40-50% of the time I turn my TV/DVR on its got a frozen screen. Its pretty frustrating to have to wait at least once per day for the system to reset after holding the power buttun down. It only does it with my DVR, and not the regular reciever. Its obviously a bug with the DVR, and I hope it gets fixed with the new update.

Re: DVR Freezing when I turn on my TV

61 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2009 11:33:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

stevessvt wrote:

If your tv is connected to the dvr using hdmi do this.  While the tv and dvr are turned on, disonnect the hdmi cable from the dvr and then do a soft boot by pressing and holding the power button until the lights flash.  After about 5 minutes reconnect the hdmi cable to the dvr, and that should solve that issue.

stevessvt wrote:

If your tv is connected to the dvr using hdmi do this.  While the tv and dvr are turned on, disonnect the hdmi cable from the dvr and then do a soft boot by pressing and holding the power button until the lights flash.  After about 5 minutes reconnect the hdmi cable to the dvr, and that should solve that issue.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

62 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2009 10:40:09 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thank you for the tip,....I am using HDMI. I tried it last night,.....so far so good. I will report back in a few days with my results.
Thank you for the tip,....I am using HDMI. I tried it last night,.....so far so good. I will report back in a few days with my results.

63 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2009 3:57:17 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well that didnt last very long. Got home tonight. Frozen.
Well that didnt last very long. Got home tonight. Frozen.

64 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2009 8:50:45 PM
(0)
Contributor
Just found this U-talk.  They say misery loves company.  I have been having a similar problem for some time.  Mine freezes up for four-five seconds--both audio and video.  Sometimes it does it maybe three or four times during and hour show.  I have called and I have unplugged, re set and all that. Still happening. Hopefully it will go away on its own sometime.
Just found this U-talk.  They say misery loves company.  I have been having a similar problem for some time.  Mine freezes up for four-five seconds--both audio and video.  Sometimes it does it maybe three or four times during and hour show.  I have called and I have unplugged, re set and all that. Still happening. Hopefully it will go away on its own sometime.

65 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2009 2:25:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

So thanks to David!!  Tech support called me and set up some people to come out.  They did a lot of poking around and found that the transformer on the power pole behind my house had messed up and something from it had melted down onto the connection for my U-verse!!  Don't know why it took them 2 months to figure that out!!!  Anyway all seems to be well today but they said I might also be experiencing some "electrical noise."  They gave me the model number of a surge protector (Tripplite ISOBAR4ULTRA)  that they said would elminate that and said they would try to get one delivered here if necessary.  Haven't had any freezing issues today or yesterday since they fixed it.  They are also coming out later to bury the line in my yard.  This guy from tech support has really been on top of things for me.  I think this will all work out, I've got my fingers crossed!!

Thanks David!!! 

So thanks to David!!  Tech support called me and set up some people to come out.  They did a lot of poking around and found that the transformer on the power pole behind my house had messed up and something from it had melted down onto the connection for my U-verse!!  Don't know why it took them 2 months to figure that out!!!  Anyway all seems to be well today but they said I might also be experiencing some "electrical noise."  They gave me the model number of a surge protector (Tripplite ISOBAR4ULTRA)  that they said would elminate that and said they would try to get one delivered here if necessary.  Haven't had any freezing issues today or yesterday since they fixed it.  They are also coming out later to bury the line in my yard.  This guy from tech support has really been on top of things for me.  I think this will all work out, I've got my fingers crossed!!

Thanks David!!! 

66 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2009 12:00:34 PM
(0)
Mentor
So it's looking like it was a combination of issues here. It froze on me again this morning after I had plugged my tv back into my surge protector. Tech support thinks my surge protector might not be eliminating surges completely. While I never had any problems like this with Cox I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility. He's going to follow up with me on saturday to see if using a different surge protector works.
So it's looking like it was a combination of issues here. It froze on me again this morning after I had plugged my tv back into my surge protector. Tech support thinks my surge protector might not be eliminating surges completely. While I never had any problems like this with Cox I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility. He's going to follow up with me on saturday to see if using a different surge protector works.

67 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2009 12:51:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mthomas45 wrote:

There is no telling how many variables and to what degree can outside sources affect these stbs.  IPTV is still so new that for the most part ATT is learning most of their info about these boxes performance from their subscribers. 

mthomas45 wrote:

There is no telling how many variables and to what degree can outside sources affect these stbs.  IPTV is still so new that for the most part ATT is learning most of their info about these boxes performance from their subscribers. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

68 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 12:29:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah, I understand it's a new technology but I really don't get how they didn't take these types of issues into consideration when developing the STBs.  I mean, it should be able to handle whatever negligible interference the tv is causing, after all it's only function is to interface with a TV.

ETA: Also I plugged the tv back into the other outlet and no freezing this morning.  I'd be ok with that except I really need a surge protector on my Tv so I'm gonna see about getting this tripp lite  i guess.  

Message Edited by mthomas45 on 05-06-2009 01:21 PM

Yeah, I understand it's a new technology but I really don't get how they didn't take these types of issues into consideration when developing the STBs.  I mean, it should be able to handle whatever negligible interference the tv is causing, after all it's only function is to interface with a TV.

ETA: Also I plugged the tv back into the other outlet and no freezing this morning.  I'd be ok with that except I really need a surge protector on my Tv so I'm gonna see about getting this tripp lite  i guess.  

Message Edited by mthomas45 on 05-06-2009 01:21 PM

69 of 79 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2009 8:48:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just wanted to jump back on here with some updates...

I seem to be having the exact same problem that several of you seem to also be having.  I've spoken with tier 1 and tier 2 support multiple times, and have had 3 different techs come out and take a look at it.  We've run all sorts of different cables to the TV -- component, HDMI, coaxial -- and also have run different cables directly from the RG.  

Long story short, it is the TV.  The last local tech that came out said that he's seen several other people in the area with LCD Projection TVs that have the same issue.  When the TV starts itself up, it sends some kind of electromagnetic pulse that the set top box just doesn't seem to like.

To his knowledge, there is currently no fix for the issue.  

He said to "call the TV repair man" but had no guidance for which direction to point the TV repair man.

I've got the same Sony Grand WEGA TV (only the 42"). My coworker has the exact same model as mthomas45 and after installing Uverse, he's now having the same problem.

Anyone know if people have better luck with a different box/DVR?  I've got the Cisco IPN 4320.  

Just wanted to jump back on here with some updates...

I seem to be having the exact same problem that several of you seem to also be having.  I've spoken with tier 1 and tier 2 support multiple times, and have had 3 different techs come out and take a look at it.  We've run all sorts of different cables to the TV -- component, HDMI, coaxial -- and also have run different cables directly from the RG.  

Long story short, it is the TV.  The last local tech that came out said that he's seen several other people in the area with LCD Projection TVs that have the same issue.  When the TV starts itself up, it sends some kind of electromagnetic pulse that the set top box just doesn't seem to like.

To his knowledge, there is currently no fix for the issue.  

He said to "call the TV repair man" but had no guidance for which direction to point the TV repair man.

I've got the same Sony Grand WEGA TV (only the 42"). My coworker has the exact same model as mthomas45 and after installing Uverse, he's now having the same problem.

Anyone know if people have better luck with a different box/DVR?  I've got the Cisco IPN 4320.  

70 of 79 (163 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2009 10:32:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is Your Nid grounded to a stand alone ground rod? Have you removed any grounds installed on the power box and mast. 99% of all U-Verse problems are grounding errors. Incorrect grounds, improvised grounds.cause uverse to drop out!

Check time zone on reboot

Broadband settings/Advanced settings/ Take off automatic and select DSL and Coax or RJ11. Save and update. Update reboots,,,check time and date settings.

I'd bet a C-Note you have ground errors!

Is Your Nid grounded to a stand alone ground rod? Have you removed any grounds installed on the power box and mast. 99% of all U-Verse problems are grounding errors. Incorrect grounds, improvised grounds.cause uverse to drop out!

Check time zone on reboot

Broadband settings/Advanced settings/ Take off automatic and select DSL and Coax or RJ11. Save and update. Update reboots,,,check time and date settings.

I'd bet a C-Note you have ground errors!

71 of 79 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2009 1:06:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

What is an NID?  I'm starting to wonder if it is just my TV.  Is there any way to clean a video signal?  I have my video cables run thru a separate receiver right now but that doesn't seem to help.

Talked to tech support again yesterday.  They're sending someone out with one of these Tripplite surge protectors.  He said that would be the last  thing that they could do for me.  This is so frustrating.  How can they sell a service that is so unreliable?!?!?

Message Edited by mthomas45 on 05-13-2009 01:09 PM

What is an NID?  I'm starting to wonder if it is just my TV.  Is there any way to clean a video signal?  I have my video cables run thru a separate receiver right now but that doesn't seem to help.

Talked to tech support again yesterday.  They're sending someone out with one of these Tripplite surge protectors.  He said that would be the last  thing that they could do for me.  This is so frustrating.  How can they sell a service that is so unreliable?!?!?

Message Edited by mthomas45 on 05-13-2009 01:09 PM

72 of 79 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2009 5:59:35 AM
(0)
Mentor
So finally the issue is resolved!!!  The tech came over with a Tripplite ISOBAR surge protector and everything has been going great for over a week now!!  Thanks to David for all your help!!  I can finally enjoy U-verse.
So finally the issue is resolved!!!  The tech came over with a Tripplite ISOBAR surge protector and everything has been going great for over a week now!!  Thanks to David for all your help!!  I can finally enjoy U-verse.

73 of 79 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2009 10:02:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Enjoy.
Enjoy.

74 of 79 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2009 2:19:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I got my  U-verse system a month ago.  I had so much troube I stayed on the chat lines so much with the techs I was sick.  But Eventually I got most of the bugs worked out.  It started with a virus from day one.  When the techs showed up to install the service I was using my computer.  But when the tech connected the set up a virus popped up.  I lost everything on my main computer.  Spent several $100 getting it straight then spent so much time on pc withnthe techs doing one pc at a time. It was crazy.  I still think my Gateway to the internet is exposed to everybody.  They were supposed to be on separate lines but two are on the same line.  Thats the main PC and my laptop. I wanted the gateway in my bedroom but because of the virus they put  it in another room. But they never sent a tech back out here no matter how I pleaded.  And believe me I talked to a lot of people at AT&T//  Im no computer person so that makes things difficult. 

I have 2  desktop computers, a laptop and 4 TV sets.  One PC is used for our small business. 

Now the TVs  are on the blink.  The TVs are freezing about every hour or so. I have to reset them  from the box attached to the sets accross the rooms.  Missing programs is bad enough but Im handicapped and this is not good.  Im a night person so its always late night when the problems occur.

Any suggestionss without trying to get these people out here wil be appreciated.  I cannot stand chatting with those guys again.

I got my  U-verse system a month ago.  I had so much troube I stayed on the chat lines so much with the techs I was sick.  But Eventually I got most of the bugs worked out.  It started with a virus from day one.  When the techs showed up to install the service I was using my computer.  But when the tech connected the set up a virus popped up.  I lost everything on my main computer.  Spent several $100 getting it straight then spent so much time on pc withnthe techs doing one pc at a time. It was crazy.  I still think my Gateway to the internet is exposed to everybody.  They were supposed to be on separate lines but two are on the same line.  Thats the main PC and my laptop. I wanted the gateway in my bedroom but because of the virus they put  it in another room. But they never sent a tech back out here no matter how I pleaded.  And believe me I talked to a lot of people at AT&T//  Im no computer person so that makes things difficult. 

I have 2  desktop computers, a laptop and 4 TV sets.  One PC is used for our small business. 

Now the TVs  are on the blink.  The TVs are freezing about every hour or so. I have to reset them  from the box attached to the sets accross the rooms.  Missing programs is bad enough but Im handicapped and this is not good.  Im a night person so its always late night when the problems occur.

Any suggestionss without trying to get these people out here wil be appreciated.  I cannot stand chatting with those guys again.

75 of 79 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2009 3:55:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am NO geek at this stuff, HOWEVER we have had the TV's freeze for months. Till just for the h3!! Of it, I unplugged (rebooted?) a little mini router (what ever its called) that was behind the TV's/video game box, this thingy also runs to another part of the houses TV. It has been fine now for about a year. Till today anyhow.  Note prior to unplugging the little router the techs have been out three times. Any they were on their way again, I tried to cancel their trip but they didn't get the message in time. This last tech said that after quick power failures or brown outs that this little router may have to be rebooted.  DUH!!!!
I am NO geek at this stuff, HOWEVER we have had the TV's freeze for months. Till just for the h3!! Of it, I unplugged (rebooted?) a little mini router (what ever its called) that was behind the TV's/video game box, this thingy also runs to another part of the houses TV. It has been fine now for about a year. Till today anyhow.  Note prior to unplugging the little router the techs have been out three times. Any they were on their way again, I tried to cancel their trip but they didn't get the message in time. This last tech said that after quick power failures or brown outs that this little router may have to be rebooted.  DUH!!!!

76 of 79 (711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2010 8:10:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had a problem with my STB constantly freezing up. I had techs out 4 times as well. Fortunately the last guy, William, and his buddy Chris figured it out.  Looks like my Sont Wega was the culprit.

See this thread.

http://utalk.att.com/t5/Equipment/STB-freezing-coming-out-of-standby/td-p/207974

I had a problem with my STB constantly freezing up. I had techs out 4 times as well. Fortunately the last guy, William, and his buddy Chris figured it out.  Looks like my Sont Wega was the culprit.

See this thread.

http://utalk.att.com/t5/Equipment/STB-freezing-coming-out-of-standby/td-p/207974

77 of 79 (711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 6:16:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've been having the same issue I have a KDF-55E2000. No tech has been able to fix my issues with the DVR box freezes and only way to get it working is by unplugging the power and rebooting the DVR.

1st-tech claimed it was a box and swapped box and Ethernet cable. (no-luck) 2nd-tech changed power brick to dvr and gateway (no luck) 3rd-tech changes from HDMI to components and no luck either. let's see what tech # 4 will say.

Don't wait the 14 days that is just a line the tech will use just so that if you call back it the ticket will not reflect negatively on them.

I've been having the same issue I have a KDF-55E2000. No tech has been able to fix my issues with the DVR box freezes and only way to get it working is by unplugging the power and rebooting the DVR.

1st-tech claimed it was a box and swapped box and Ethernet cable. (no-luck) 2nd-tech changed power brick to dvr and gateway (no luck) 3rd-tech changes from HDMI to components and no luck either. let's see what tech # 4 will say.

Don't wait the 14 days that is just a line the tech will use just so that if you call back it the ticket will not reflect negatively on them.

78 of 79 (230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 5:46:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Is your tv connected to the stb by an hdmi cable?  If so follow these instructions.  While the tv and the stb and television are turned on, disconnect the hdmi cable from the stb.  Press and hold the power button on the stb until the lights blink.  After 5 minutes reconnect the hdmi cable.  Then try turning on the tv and stb using the remote.

Is your tv connected to the stb by an hdmi cable?  If so follow these instructions.  While the tv and the stb and television are turned on, disconnect the hdmi cable from the stb.  Press and hold the power button on the stb until the lights blink.  After 5 minutes reconnect the hdmi cable.  Then try turning on the tv and stb using the remote.

79 of 79 (210 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments