Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 30, 2010
2:00:59 PM
View profile
DVR Ethernet port
Reviewing posts here on U-talk, it appears that I can use the Ethernet port on my DVR to connect a Blu Ray player.  I would like to attach the player in order to stream Netflix movies.  I prefer the wired connection over wireless if possible.  I have coax into the DVR thus leaving the port available.  A few questions: 1: Must the DVR be on while using the player for streaming? 2: Can a switch be plugged into the DVR port to allow usage by other devices such as a laptop?  3: This function is not supported by Uverse per some posts.  Does this mean that if it works, fine, if it doesn't Uverse will help correct the problem?  
Reviewing posts here on U-talk, it appears that I can use the Ethernet port on my DVR to connect a Blu Ray player.  I would like to attach the player in order to stream Netflix movies.  I prefer the wired connection over wireless if possible.  I have coax into the DVR thus leaving the port available.  A few questions: 1: Must the DVR be on while using the player for streaming? 2: Can a switch be plugged into the DVR port to allow usage by other devices such as a laptop?  3: This function is not supported by Uverse per some posts.  Does this mean that if it works, fine, if it doesn't Uverse will help correct the problem?  

DVR Ethernet port

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2010 2:28:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Ncal wrote:

No, they will tell you to disconnect anything connnected to that ethernet port on the DVR/STBs. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Ncal wrote:

No, they will tell you to disconnect anything connnected to that ethernet port on the DVR/STBs. :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DVR Ethernet port

2 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2010 2:37:28 PM
(0)
Scholar
Neal:  connecting your blu-ray DVD to an open Ethernet port on your Residential Gateway will work fine:  that is how I have my blu-ray  set up.   
Neal:  connecting your blu-ray DVD to an open Ethernet port on your Residential Gateway will work fine:  that is how I have my blu-ray  set up.   

3 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2010 3:31:37 PM
(0)
Guru

Connecting it that way may eat up the bandwidth allocated to the HPNA connection. You may experience picture freezing issues if you have the Blu-ray running while at the same time other TVs on coax are on.

The DVR can be put on stand-by mode (power button by the remote) while your Blu-ray is plugged in. Just dont unplug the power cord of the DVR as it acts like a switch if I am not mistaken.

Its better to just have it at the back of the RG.

Connecting it that way may eat up the bandwidth allocated to the HPNA connection. You may experience picture freezing issues if you have the Blu-ray running while at the same time other TVs on coax are on.

The DVR can be put on stand-by mode (power button by the remote) while your Blu-ray is plugged in. Just dont unplug the power cord of the DVR as it acts like a switch if I am not mistaken.

Its better to just have it at the back of the RG.

4 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2010 4:39:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
In the last sentence of my original post I meant to say "Uverse will NOT help.."  Sorry about that, but it seems most people got the idea anyway. Yes, I believe plugging directly to the RG would be better but is not an easy solution in my case.  It would require running 75 feet of cat 5 or 6 through or over a couple of interior walls where fishing through the attic would not be easy. Has anyone been successful using the DVR for streaming?  Some posts I read seemed to suggest it worked,
In the last sentence of my original post I meant to say "Uverse will NOT help.."  Sorry about that, but it seems most people got the idea anyway. Yes, I believe plugging directly to the RG would be better but is not an easy solution in my case.  It would require running 75 feet of cat 5 or 6 through or over a couple of interior walls where fishing through the attic would not be easy. Has anyone been successful using the DVR for streaming?  Some posts I read seemed to suggest it worked,

5 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2010 5:00:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I figured that was what you meant and my answer covered it both ways. :smileyvery-happy:

Will say users have posted they use it for many things and works, but if you see any service degradation

would stop.  You can always try and see, if it does, great, if not you'll have to figure another way. :smileywink:

Chris

I figured that was what you meant and my answer covered it both ways. :smileyvery-happy:

Will say users have posted they use it for many things and works, but if you see any service degradation

would stop.  You can always try and see, if it does, great, if not you'll have to figure another way. :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2010 9:51:57 PM
(0)
Professor

IIRC, HPNA is rated at 125 megabits and the switch in the RG is just fast ethernet (100 megabits) so that should not be a bottleneck.

If you're streaming netflix over the internet to the blu-ray player, you should be fine piggybacking it on the coax connected STB or DVR.

As long as the DVR and STB's are plugged in, they are "on" so you don't need to leave them powered up like if you were watching TV.

Message Edited by callmeox on 01-31-2010 12:54 AM

IIRC, HPNA is rated at 125 megabits and the switch in the RG is just fast ethernet (100 megabits) so that should not be a bottleneck.

If you're streaming netflix over the internet to the blu-ray player, you should be fine piggybacking it on the coax connected STB or DVR.

As long as the DVR and STB's are plugged in, they are "on" so you don't need to leave them powered up like if you were watching TV.

Message Edited by callmeox on 01-31-2010 12:54 AM

7 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2010 10:13:02 PM
(0)
Scholar
Thanks for all the input.  I bought an LG BD 390 and plugged it into the DVR.  Works great!
Thanks for all the input.  I bought an LG BD 390 and plugged it into the DVR.  Works great!

8 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2010 11:06:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ncal wrote:

If you have the bd390, which is wireless, is it just a preferrence to run it wired??  I have the same one and use it wirelessly w/no problems.  I have used it wired too, but didn't notice any benefits...Either way, it's a great player, streamer.  Make sure you go to menu, others, software update, I've had 2 or 3 FW updates, and really like VUDU service for streaming newer HD movies.  I don't have netflix though, **bleep** luck.

Ncal wrote:

If you have the bd390, which is wireless, is it just a preferrence to run it wired??  I have the same one and use it wirelessly w/no problems.  I have used it wired too, but didn't notice any benefits...Either way, it's a great player, streamer.  Make sure you go to menu, others, software update, I've had 2 or 3 FW updates, and really like VUDU service for streaming newer HD movies.  I don't have netflix though, **bleep** luck.

9 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2010 6:23:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yes, it is wireless.  I believe wired is always better if available.  The manual even states wired is the first preference. 
Yes, it is wireless.  I believe wired is always better if available.  The manual even states wired is the first preference. 

10 of 18 (4,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2010 1:49:56 PM
(0)
Mentor
You may have to change the firewall setting for your Gateway in case you have problems connecting  reliably to the netflix listings (make the BlueRay player a DMZ). Frank
You may have to change the firewall setting for your Gateway in case you have problems connecting  reliably to the netflix listings (make the BlueRay player a DMZ). Frank

11 of 18 (3,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2010 7:09:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
Netflix is working fine, as is Youtube.  Still working on viewing my .avi clips, getting the message that the file cannot be read.  Haven't been near the DMZ since I left Quang Tri Province in 1968.
Netflix is working fine, as is Youtube.  Still working on viewing my .avi clips, getting the message that the file cannot be read.  Haven't been near the DMZ since I left Quang Tri Province in 1968.

12 of 18 (3,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2010 7:16:39 AM
(0)
Mentor
T'is what it's called  ... maybe in honor of all the stuff being made in China :smileyhappy:
T'is what it's called  ... maybe in honor of all the stuff being made in China :smileyhappy:

13 of 18 (3,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2010 9:02:06 AM
(0)
Guru
God created mankind. Everything else is China.
God created mankind. Everything else is China.

14 of 18 (3,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2010 3:07:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

I had a U-Verse tech out to correct a couple small problems and he is the one who told me that you can hook up this way. I was using a wireless bridge for my blue ray player. I now have 2 blue ray players set up this way and both can stream netflix with no problem.

I had a U-Verse tech out to correct a couple small problems and he is the one who told me that you can hook up this way. I was using a wireless bridge for my blue ray player. I now have 2 blue ray players set up this way and both can stream netflix with no problem.

15 of 18 (3,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 12:24:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

how did you fix your problem?  I am in the same boat..... I have a DVR, but want to use the ethernet jack for my xbox to stream netflix...i dont want wifi, i prefer wired. curiuos to what you did.

how did you fix your problem?  I am in the same boat..... I have a DVR, but want to use the ethernet jack for my xbox to stream netflix...i dont want wifi, i prefer wired. curiuos to what you did.

16 of 18 (3,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 1:11:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

eeps24 wrote:

Your DVR has to be connected via coax.  If it is connected via Ethernet, that of course, ties up the port.  You would then need a switch to split the run (from the RG) between the DVR and XBox.

eeps24 wrote:

Your DVR has to be connected via coax.  If it is connected via Ethernet, that of course, ties up the port.  You would then need a switch to split the run (from the RG) between the DVR and XBox.

17 of 18 (3,269 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 1:22:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

ok just so were on the same page.... If I have my uverse box thats already connected with a coax cable. If I plug in a switch into the ethernet jack, can I run my xbox and blue ray plyaer off of it?

ok just so were on the same page.... If I have my uverse box thats already connected with a coax cable. If I plug in a switch into the ethernet jack, can I run my xbox and blue ray plyaer off of it?

18 of 18 (3,258 Views)