DVR Ethernet port

Scholar

DVR Ethernet port

Reviewing posts here on U-talk, it appears that I can use the Ethernet port on my DVR to connect a Blu Ray player.  I would like to attach the player in order to stream Netflix movies.  I prefer the wired connection over wireless if possible.  I have coax into the DVR thus leaving the port available.  A few questions: 1: Must the DVR be on while using the player for streaming? 2: Can a switch be plugged into the DVR port to allow usage by other devices such as a laptop?  3: This function is not supported by Uverse per some posts.  Does this mean that if it works, fine, if it doesn't Uverse will help correct the problem?  
Message 1 of 18 (4,314 Views)
Tutor

Re: DVR Ethernet port

how did you fix your problem?  I am in the same boat..... I have a DVR, but want to use the ethernet jack for my xbox to stream netflix...i dont want wifi, i prefer wired. curiuos to what you did.

Message 16 of 18 (3,537 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

eeps24 wrote:

how did you fix your problem?  I am in the same boat..... I have a DVR, but want to use the ethernet jack for my xbox to stream netflix...i dont want wifi, i prefer wired. curiuos to what you did.

Your DVR has to be connected via coax.  If it is connected via Ethernet, that of course, ties up the port.  You would then need a switch to split the run (from the RG) between the DVR and XBox.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 18 (3,520 Views)
Tutor

ok just so were on the same page.... If I have my uverse box thats already connected with a coax cable. If I plug in a switch into the ethernet jack, can I run my xbox and blue ray plyaer off of it?

Message 18 of 18 (3,509 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.