Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 29, 2009
9:50:48 AM
DSL + U-Veverse for the SAME Adddress -- Different Rooms

Hello,

We currently have U-Verse Internet, TV, and Phone Installed for our home.

However, we want to install DSL for a specfic room because we are renting out a room.

My family is already high-band with users, always on the phone, watchng HD TV, and download movie and playing online games.

Is this possible?

I have read on DSL Reports that there were some users that had both a U-Verse internet line and  DSL like from another providor, such a DSL Extreme.

So I don't see what the problem would be -- AT&T can supply apartments with invidvual service, so why not an extra room in a home to a different customer?

Thank you for any responce you may have!

Hello,

We currently have U-Verse Internet, TV, and Phone Installed for our home.

However, we want to install DSL for a specfic room because we are renting out a room.

My family is already high-band with users, always on the phone, watchng HD TV, and download movie and playing online games.

Is this possible?

I have read on DSL Reports that there were some users that had both a U-Verse internet line and  DSL like from another providor, such a DSL Extreme.

So I don't see what the problem would be -- AT&T can supply apartments with invidvual service, so why not an extra room in a home to a different customer?

Thank you for any responce you may have!

DSL + U-Veverse for the SAME Adddress -- Different Rooms

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 10:14:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If another pair is already coming to your house it's theorically possible, but may be subject to crosstalk problems. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

If another pair is already coming to your house it's theorically possible, but may be subject to crosstalk problems. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DSL + U-Veverse for the SAME Adddress -- Different Rooms

2 of 7 (1,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 10:17:02 AM
(0)
Employee

The problem is that DSL and VDSL (what U-Verse uses) use the same spectrum at the lower end, and depending on the quality of the line and the drop, may interfere with each other.

There are cases I've seen where it works, and cases I've seen where it didn't ...it's not even a matter of whether both are AT&T or different vendors, it's the signaling and the amount of crosstalk between the active pair.

IMO, your best bet would be to request a separate drop for the rental space, then the renter can use whatever they want, on their account and have no affect on anything that you do on your account.

Message Edited by ScottMac on 06-29-2009 12:18 PM

The problem is that DSL and VDSL (what U-Verse uses) use the same spectrum at the lower end, and depending on the quality of the line and the drop, may interfere with each other.

There are cases I've seen where it works, and cases I've seen where it didn't ...it's not even a matter of whether both are AT&T or different vendors, it's the signaling and the amount of crosstalk between the active pair.

IMO, your best bet would be to request a separate drop for the rental space, then the renter can use whatever they want, on their account and have no affect on anything that you do on your account.

Message Edited by ScottMac on 06-29-2009 12:18 PM
Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (1,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 10:19:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

Using a router is not an option.

We need a SEPERATE DSL LINE along with the current U-Verse installed at the home.

A tech at DSLExtreme said this can be done, I just need a seperate phone line.

Now, how would I go about ordering a new Phone Line, how would I have it installed?

I have a friend who can install the phone line, I just don't know how it has to be done for the seperate DSL Line.

There is a phone jack in this room, but it doesnt work, so we just need to contect it.

Using a router is not an option.

We need a SEPERATE DSL LINE along with the current U-Verse installed at the home.

A tech at DSLExtreme said this can be done, I just need a seperate phone line.

Now, how would I go about ordering a new Phone Line, how would I have it installed?

I have a friend who can install the phone line, I just don't know how it has to be done for the seperate DSL Line.

There is a phone jack in this room, but it doesnt work, so we just need to contect it.

4 of 7 (1,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 10:21:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

"IMO, your best bet would be to request a separate drop for the rental space, then the renter can use whatever they want, on their account and have no affect on anything that you do on your account."

Can you expplain this more?

"IMO, your best bet would be to request a separate drop for the rental space, then the renter can use whatever they want, on their account and have no affect on anything that you do on your account."

5 of 7 (1,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 12:06:13 PM
(0)
Employee

Hypothermic wrote:

Sure. You call the AT&T business line for your areaand tell them you'd like another phone line installed.

Explain to them that it needs to be separate, and ask them for an additional drop. The office line is in teh front cover of te phone book, the INternet, or just call 411 and ask for the business office to have a new line installed.

It shouldn't be a big deal, though they may want to charge you for it. I can't say how much (I really don't know), but it's something they can usually quote you ahead of time.

It's not that unusual. Many people run a separate drop for home offices, buisness and rental situations. 

By keeping it on a completely separate cable/drop/F2, there's little chance of inerference, and administratively, all the charges are compartmentalized (i.e., if your renter makes a lot of international calls, you / your number isn't on the hook for them (sorry no pun intended). 

Good Luck

Hypothermic wrote:

Sure. You call the AT&T business line for your areaand tell them you'd like another phone line installed.

Explain to them that it needs to be separate, and ask them for an additional drop. The office line is in teh front cover of te phone book, the INternet, or just call 411 and ask for the business office to have a new line installed.

It shouldn't be a big deal, though they may want to charge you for it. I can't say how much (I really don't know), but it's something they can usually quote you ahead of time.

It's not that unusual. Many people run a separate drop for home offices, buisness and rental situations. 

By keeping it on a completely separate cable/drop/F2, there's little chance of inerference, and administratively, all the charges are compartmentalized (i.e., if your renter makes a lot of international calls, you / your number isn't on the hook for them (sorry no pun intended). 

Good Luck

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 7 (1,037 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2009 9:24:26 AM
(0)
Employee

Think of the renters space like you would if you lived in a duplex. They may use the spare conductors in the existing drop or run a new one. They may or may not charge  the additional line fee every month even if the bills are totally separate in different names if you do not list the apt as address B. I know from your post you want a second internet line for the apartment but am not sure if it must be from another provider or could be from AT&T. If it can be from AT&T if they will install a second Uverse account at the same address you may want to go that route. It can be with TV or just Uverse internet  or even Uverse phone. That would give the renter the most flexibility to mix and match what they need. If you can get the Uverse TV the install should be free all the other options there should be an install charge. You can cancel the TV and just keep the internet after the install. 

If you want another vendor call that vendor and they will place the DSL order for you.  For AT&T DSL call AT&T. 

Think of the renters space like you would if you lived in a duplex. They may use the spare conductors in the existing drop or run a new one. They may or may not charge  the additional line fee every month even if the bills are totally separate in different names if you do not list the apt as address B. I know from your post you want a second internet line for the apartment but am not sure if it must be from another provider or could be from AT&T. If it can be from AT&T if they will install a second Uverse account at the same address you may want to go that route. It can be with TV or just Uverse internet  or even Uverse phone. That would give the renter the most flexibility to mix and match what they need. If you can get the Uverse TV the install should be free all the other options there should be an install charge. You can cancel the TV and just keep the internet after the install. 

If you want another vendor call that vendor and they will place the DSL order for you.  For AT&T DSL call AT&T. 

Re: DSL + U-Veverse for the SAME Address -- Different Rooms

7 of 7 (1,037 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments