Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 6, 2009
1:59:31 PM
DNS Timeout Issues and other various DNS-like issues, fix coming soon!

Alright, people have been saying that there has been an issue with DNS when it comes to U-Verse Internet Access.  The people have spoken, AT&T has heard.  Yes, you have read right, AT&T has heard our cries.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21760399-Web-pages-mostly-load-fast-but-frequently-but-dont-complet...

There is a person by the name of David and DNSguy (DNSguy seems to be one of the NOC engineers).  Combined with data that users at DSLReports and the data that both David and DNSguy have collected, they have come to the conclusion that there is some definitely wrong in the 2Wire RG's DNS proxy code.  Best thing is, 2Wire has acknoledged that the issue exists and that they are testing a fix.  If everything goes right the fix should be available in June.

Alright, people have been saying that there has been an issue with DNS when it comes to U-Verse Internet Access.  The people have spoken, AT&T has heard.  Yes, you have read right, AT&T has heard our cries.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21760399-Web-pages-mostly-load-fast-but-frequently-but-dont-complete

There is a person by the name of David and DNSguy (DNSguy seems to be one of the NOC engineers).  Combined with data that users at DSLReports and the data that both David and DNSguy have collected, they have come to the conclusion that there is some definitely wrong in the 2Wire RG's DNS proxy code.  Best thing is, 2Wire has acknoledged that the issue exists and that they are testing a fix.  If everything goes right the fix should be available in June.

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

DNS Timeout Issues and other various DNS-like issues, fix coming soon!

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 2:02:05 PM
(0)
Professor
That's pretty interesting.  I wonder if that's our David?
That's pretty interesting.  I wonder if that's our David?

Re: DNS Timeout Issues and other various DNS-like issues, fix coming soon!

2 of 10 (2,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 2:03:33 PM
(0)
Guru
The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

3 of 10 (2,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 2:09:43 PM
(0)
Professor

trparky wrote:

http://www.dslreports.com/profile/637748

That's David's profile.

That would be him.

trparky wrote:

http://www.dslreports.com/profile/637748

That's David's profile.

That would be him.

4 of 10 (2,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 2:12:36 PM
(0)
Master
Go team David lol.
Go team David lol.

5 of 10 (2,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 9:34:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The only problem is that 2wire is telling ATT to pay for the fix and ATT is telling 2wire they have to pay to fix their defect and things are at a stand still.  I think it will come down to ATT going to another brand of RG/modem as there are reports some users are trying another brand right now, SMC.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewCategory&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=1

:smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

The only problem is that 2wire is telling ATT to pay for the fix and ATT is telling 2wire they have to pay to fix their defect and things are at a stand still.  I think it will come down to ATT going to another brand of RG/modem as there are reports some users are trying another brand right now, SMC.

Chris

YRMV IMHO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (2,590 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 9:58:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem.

It appears the 2-Wire Gateway/Router 3800HGV-B has a bug handling Windows DNS request. Here are my findings:

1. Browser loads part of the page, and some images are not displayed

2. Browser frequently show "Resolving Host..." at the bottom status bar

3. My windows machines at home all have the same behavior: 9 out of 10 times, nslookup times out:

C:\>nslookup yahooo.com

Server:  home

Address:  192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    yahooo.com

Addresses:  206.190.60.37, 68.180.206.184

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to home timed-out

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

C:\>

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

4. Linux machine pointing DNS to R/G 192.168.1.254 does NOT experience the problem, even the Linux box sits in the same LAN as the windows boxes.

5. Windows machines set DNS servers to the ATT DNS servers (vs default 192.168.1.254) resolve the problem

So, my conclusion: The 2-Wire Gateway/Router has a bug handling Windows DNS request.

I had lots of trouble with my ATT SBC/DSL, hoping u-verse would give me better service. But, ever since I had u-verse about 3 week ago, I have had contantly trouble, many times I lost my phone, internet and TV all at the same time.

My wife gave u-verse a more fitting name: ATT u-worse.

Message Edited by grayzhu on 07-07-2009 10:03 PM

I am having the same problem.

It appears the 2-Wire Gateway/Router 3800HGV-B has a bug handling Windows DNS request. Here are my findings:

1. Browser loads part of the page, and some images are not displayed

2. Browser frequently show "Resolving Host..." at the bottom status bar

3. My windows machines at home all have the same behavior: 9 out of 10 times, nslookup times out:

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    yahooo.com

Addresses:  206.190.60.37, 68.180.206.184

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

C:\>

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

4. Linux machine pointing DNS to R/G 192.168.1.254 does NOT experience the problem, even the Linux box sits in the same LAN as the windows boxes.

5. Windows machines set DNS servers to the ATT DNS servers (vs default 192.168.1.254) resolve the problem

So, my conclusion: The 2-Wire Gateway/Router has a bug handling Windows DNS request.

I had lots of trouble with my ATT SBC/DSL, hoping u-verse would give me better service. But, ever since I had u-verse about 3 week ago, I have had contantly trouble, many times I lost my phone, internet and TV all at the same time.

My wife gave u-verse a more fitting name: ATT u-worse.

Message Edited by grayzhu on 07-07-2009 10:03 PM

7 of 10 (2,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 11:39:01 PM
(0)
Guru

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

This may not mean anything but I found this response over at Broadbandreports.

bhenry

join:2009-02-15
Houston, TX well i chatted with ATT last night and they actually acknowledged the fix was coming - online chat and gave him the link. He was off researching for a while and said to keep watching the forums.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22349614-We-got-some-news050609-Slow-Web-Page-Loading

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

This may not mean anything but I found this response over at Broadbandreports.

bhenry

join:2009-02-15
Houston, TX well i chatted with ATT last night and they actually acknowledged the fix was coming - online chat and gave him the link. He was off researching for a while and said to keep watching the forums.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22349614-We-got-some-news050609-Slow-Web-Page-Loading

8 of 10 (2,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2009 10:04:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

In that 5/6 post David said a fix is coming, but as in the case of everything on Uverse it takes a long time and people are

impatient.  For me hard coding the DNS in my connection worked fine anyway. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

In that 5/6 post David said a fix is coming, but as in the case of everything on Uverse it takes a long time and people are

impatient.  For me hard coding the DNS in my connection worked fine anyway. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 10 (2,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2009 9:24:28 AM
(0)
Tutor
After getting "This webpage is not available. (Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): The server could not be found.)" for some time, I changed my Network Connection properties from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses" and specified "Preferred DNS server" as 208.67.222.222 and "Alternate DNS server" as 208.67.220.220 (see www.opendns.com for details) This change seems to have fixed the annoying problem of AT&T U-verse (2-Wire) not resolving host names.
After getting "This webpage is not available. (Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): The server could not be found.)" for some time, I changed my Network Connection properties from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses" and specified "Preferred DNS server" as 208.67.222.222 and "Alternate DNS server" as 208.67.220.220 (see www.opendns.com for details) This change seems to have fixed the annoying problem of AT&T U-verse (2-Wire) not resolving host names.

10 of 10 (2,590 Views)