Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 28, 2010
6:56:19 AM
View profile
DIR-655 as Bridge works great; DIR-655 as Router cannot upload

I have a 2Wire 3800HGV-B U-Verse Residential Gateway (RG) and a D-Link DIR-655 router.  I am choosing to mount the DIR-655 behind the RG and use the DIR-655's wireless (and wired) routing capabilities. I am disabling the wireless capabilities of the RG.  I have Cat-6 originating from one of the four ethernet LAN outlets on the RG; if I terminate the Cat-6 at one of the four ethernet LAN outlets on the DIR-655 and disable the DIR-655's DHCP server, the DIR-655 functions beautifully as a bridge while the RG maintains its functionality as the internet gateway and DHCP server.

I would like to use the DIR-655 as a full-fledged wireless/wired router (rather than just bridge) and degrade the RG to be "just a modem."  I have done the following:   Take the Cat-6 (originating from one of the four LAN ethernet outlets on the RG) and terminate it at the WAN input of the DIR-655; assign the DIR-655 with "DMZ-Plus" (wide open) firewall settings on the RG.  (I have also enabled the DHCP server on the DIR-655 for routing purposes, FWIW.  It seems I cannot -- nor should not -- disable the DHCP on the RG, as the RG *must* assign an IP to the DIR-655 for the DIR-655 to transmit the internet to/from the RG through the DIR-655's WAN port. I also [presently] still feed my U-Verse television receivers through Coax originating at the RG which requires the RG's DHCP.)

As a bridge (RG LAN to DIR-655 LAN), everything works great.  As a router (RG LAN to DIR-655 WAN), downloading works well but uploading ranges from dreadfully slow to completely stopped.  I have tried both straight-through Cat-6 and crossover Cat-6 from the RG LAN to DIR-655 WAN for the "router" configuration, and both fail in "uploading".

In order to use the DIR-655 as my router and the RG as "just a modem", what additional must I do to both the RG and/or the DIR-655 to get the uploading working?

Thank you for your advice and assistance.

I have a 2Wire 3800HGV-B U-Verse Residential Gateway (RG) and a D-Link DIR-655 router.  I am choosing to mount the DIR-655 behind the RG and use the DIR-655's wireless (and wired) routing capabilities. I am disabling the wireless capabilities of the RG.  I have Cat-6 originating from one of the four ethernet LAN outlets on the RG; if I terminate the Cat-6 at one of the four ethernet LAN outlets on the DIR-655 and disable the DIR-655's DHCP server, the DIR-655 functions beautifully as a bridge while the RG maintains its functionality as the internet gateway and DHCP server.

I would like to use the DIR-655 as a full-fledged wireless/wired router (rather than just bridge) and degrade the RG to be "just a modem."  I have done the following:   Take the Cat-6 (originating from one of the four LAN ethernet outlets on the RG) and terminate it at the WAN input of the DIR-655; assign the DIR-655 with "DMZ-Plus" (wide open) firewall settings on the RG.  (I have also enabled the DHCP server on the DIR-655 for routing purposes, FWIW.  It seems I cannot -- nor should not -- disable the DHCP on the RG, as the RG *must* assign an IP to the DIR-655 for the DIR-655 to transmit the internet to/from the RG through the DIR-655's WAN port. I also [presently] still feed my U-Verse television receivers through Coax originating at the RG which requires the RG's DHCP.)

As a bridge (RG LAN to DIR-655 LAN), everything works great.  As a router (RG LAN to DIR-655 WAN), downloading works well but uploading ranges from dreadfully slow to completely stopped.  I have tried both straight-through Cat-6 and crossover Cat-6 from the RG LAN to DIR-655 WAN for the "router" configuration, and both fail in "uploading".

In order to use the DIR-655 as my router and the RG as "just a modem", what additional must I do to both the RG and/or the DIR-655 to get the uploading working?

Thank you for your advice and assistance.

DIR-655 as Bridge works great; DIR-655 as Router cannot upload

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 7:13:41 AM
(0)
Master

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG. When I go to the "internal" router it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

If you currently have your router behind a basic DSL or Cable modem, Your setup will be pretty much the same. The RG will replace your modem, then go into your existing router and change it's internet connection type to Dynamic or DHCP. Then change it's internal network IP adress and DHCP Pool and you should be good to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG. When I go to the "internal" router it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

If you currently have your router behind a basic DSL or Cable modem, Your setup will be pretty much the same. The RG will replace your modem, then go into your existing router and change it's internet connection type to Dynamic or DHCP. Then change it's internal network IP adress and DHCP Pool and you should be good to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

neon_sign.jpg

Re: DIR-655 as Bridge works great; DIR-655 as Router cannot upload

2 of 10 (8,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 7:21:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you, Computer Joe,

"When I go to the "internal" router it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses."

Must I "set" the WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses on my internal router to be the same as the RG, or should that "automatically happen"?

I am away from my equipment right now, so I am unsure what my WAN, gateway, and DNS settings on my internal router are right now.  I believe I have everything else set just as you described.  Thanks.

Thank you, Computer Joe,

"When I go to the "internal" router it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses."

Must I "set" the WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses on my internal router to be the same as the RG, or should that "automatically happen"?

I am away from my equipment right now, so I am unsure what my WAN, gateway, and DNS settings on my internal router are right now.  I believe I have everything else set just as you described.  Thanks.

3 of 10 (8,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 7:50:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

It should work as you suggested in your original post.  Juts make sure that the IP subnet being used by your linksys is different than that being used by your RG.  The AT&T RG's typically come setup to run on 192.168.1.x/24.  You should pick something different - like 192.168.2.x/24.

If you are still having slow uploads, try turning off all of your TVs and don't be on the Uverse telephone and try your upload again - and see if it starts working.

I might also suggest you reboot your Linksys AND RG after getting them all set up and working in the DMZ+ mode.  Report back if the problem persists.

It should work as you suggested in your original post.  Juts make sure that the IP subnet being used by your linksys is different than that being used by your RG.  The AT&T RG's typically come setup to run on 192.168.1.x/24.  You should pick something different - like 192.168.2.x/24.

If you are still having slow uploads, try turning off all of your TVs and don't be on the Uverse telephone and try your upload again - and see if it starts working.

I might also suggest you reboot your Linksys AND RG after getting them all set up and working in the DMZ+ mode.  Report back if the problem persists.

4 of 10 (8,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 7:57:49 AM
(0)
Master

clmssun wrote:

Thank you, Computer Joe,

You can manually change the DNS addys if you like.

such as: 

DNS Address208.67.222.222
   Secondary DNS208.67.220.220

clmssun wrote:

Thank you, Computer Joe,

You can manually change the DNS addys if you like.

such as: 

DNS Address208.67.222.222
   Secondary DNS208.67.220.220

neon_sign.jpg

5 of 10 (8,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 4:17:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for the advice, but the problem persists.

All of RG information successfully "transferred" to the internal router; I edited the DNS's for good measure.  I rebooted the internal router: no dice.  I rebooted the RG: no dice.  I again rebooted the internal router: no dice.  I have not an STB or U-Voice session active at all today.  Always the download goes great, but the upload (on speedtest.net) bogs down to nothing.

I have observed that my internal router has a "foreign" IP with respect to the RG. This same foreign IP shows up on the RG device list and the internal router's WAN address.  The RG has the 192.168.1.x subnet; the internal router has the 192.168.0.x subnet.  The internal router's WAN address is 99.x.y.z.. The "internet gateway" is 99.a.b.c.  

Are all those IP domains reasonable/correct?

Any other  ideas?  I feel like this should be straightforward, but I am apparently missing something.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the advice, but the problem persists.

All of RG information successfully "transferred" to the internal router; I edited the DNS's for good measure.  I rebooted the internal router: no dice.  I rebooted the RG: no dice.  I again rebooted the internal router: no dice.  I have not an STB or U-Voice session active at all today.  Always the download goes great, but the upload (on speedtest.net) bogs down to nothing.

I have observed that my internal router has a "foreign" IP with respect to the RG. This same foreign IP shows up on the RG device list and the internal router's WAN address.  The RG has the 192.168.1.x subnet; the internal router has the 192.168.0.x subnet.  The internal router's WAN address is 99.x.y.z.. The "internet gateway" is 99.a.b.c.  

Are all those IP domains reasonable/correct?

Any other  ideas?  I feel like this should be straightforward, but I am apparently missing something.

Thanks again.

6 of 10 (8,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 4:43:20 PM
(0)
Explorer

I have the same exact setup as what you've built. I have the DIR-655 connected to RG (RG LAN to DIR-655 WAN) with RG assigning addresses in 192.168.1.x and DIR-655 assigning in 192.168.2.x. DHCP is enabled on both. Everything is working fine. There must be something else, perhaps a setting on DIR-655, that is throttling your upload. Could you review all the settings on the DIR-655? Look at the QoS settings also and make sure it is not limiting the upload.

I have the same exact setup as what you've built. I have the DIR-655 connected to RG (RG LAN to DIR-655 WAN) with RG assigning addresses in 192.168.1.x and DIR-655 assigning in 192.168.2.x. DHCP is enabled on both. Everything is working fine. There must be something else, perhaps a setting on DIR-655, that is throttling your upload. Could you review all the settings on the DIR-655? Look at the QoS settings also and make sure it is not limiting the upload.

7 of 10 (8,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 5:11:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

dtalwar,  Thank you.  Could  you please tell me your QoS settings? I believe mine are factory defaults.  I  could list mine, but I honestly do not understand what they mean.

dtalwar,  Thank you.  Could  you please tell me your QoS settings? I believe mine are factory defaults.  I  could list mine, but I honestly do not understand what they mean.

8 of 10 (8,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2010 6:37:46 PM
(0)
Explorer

Could you take a screenshot of your QoS settings page and paste here? Mine has QoS enabled. I also have Enable Traffic Shaping, Automatic Uplink Speed, and Automatic Classification checked. It will be good if you can paste a screen shot.

Could you take a screenshot of your QoS settings page and paste here? Mine has QoS enabled. I also have Enable Traffic Shaping, Automatic Uplink Speed, and Automatic Classification checked. It will be good if you can paste a screen shot.

9 of 10 (8,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 7:17:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I went out and bought -- for the purposes of "renting" :smileywink: -- a new gigabit wireless router.  In less than five minutes I had everything working beautifully.  So I then went back to the DIR-655... and everything went beautifully.  I won't look a gift horse in the mouth right now.  Right now I am happy... but perplexed.

Thanks to all who responded.

Well, I went out and bought -- for the purposes of "renting" :smileywink: -- a new gigabit wireless router.  In less than five minutes I had everything working beautifully.  So I then went back to the DIR-655... and everything went beautifully.  I won't look a gift horse in the mouth right now.  Right now I am happy... but perplexed.

Thanks to all who responded.

10 of 10 (8,564 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments