Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 19, 2009
7:09:54 AM
View profile
Converting from DSL to Uverse

I am a current ATT DSL customer paying for Express service (1.5), and getting much less (maybe .7 at best). Can anyone help me with the following:

1.  Can I order internet only service from Uverse?

2.  Is the service more reliable and faster than DSL service?

3.  Do the DSL email accounts transfer over?

4.  Why would I not want to move to Uverse?

Thank you!

I am a current ATT DSL customer paying for Express service (1.5), and getting much less (maybe .7 at best). Can anyone help me with the following:

Thank you!

Converting from DSL to Uverse

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 7:38:35 AM
(0)
Guru

No but you can cancel TV after a month leaving only the internet portion. 

Faster by a ton.... reliablily better because when they install Uverse in your neighborhood they recondition all the lines in the area removing splits, cracked lines and other "patches" to the system that were acceptable for phone service/DSL but not Uverse. Since these same fixes are on lines also used for DSL, your DSL will get better even if you do not subscribe to Uverse. I saw my possible DSL speed double after they reconditioned all the lines in the area before I got Uverse.

Both Uverse and DSL share similar tech and distance and line quality are the killers. Uverse can offer internet speeds of up to 18mps because they run true fiber to the VRAD (neighborhood crossbox) so your distance is less than 3000 feet whereas DSL could be over 12000 feet. They also use Interleaved error correction which allows greater distances/more speed with a small cost of about 20% added latency. 

Usually yes... there are some very old email accounts that cannot be ported over but @sbcglobal and @ameritech.net can be moved for sure and I'm sure many others. 

20% added latency that really only affects gaming and not by very much. I game on it daily without issue but some serious gaming fanatics might not want an extra 20/1000 of a second added to their latency... IE pings might go from 110ms with DSL for 130-140ms with Uverse.

If you want to use (watch or record) more than 2 channels of HD at the same time uverse cannot do this yet but you are talking more about the internet.

They use their own proprietary router for Uverse and you are very limited in what you can change. Most (myself included) get around this (if need be) by adding your own router and setting the Uverse router to just pass through the data allowing your personal router to do the same work as before with your old DSL connection.

I love Uverse Internet. It's very stable, fast and the 20% added latency has been a non-issues for me. The higher speeds do cost more than Comcrap and many other providers but they do allow lower speeds whereas Comcrap, for example, really only offers 12mps and above... if you do not need that speed (and few do) then to bad... you pay for it anyway.

The "sweet" spot for Uverse Internet is the $35 6/1 package. It's the best bang for the buck so to speak.

One major plus for Uverse over DSL is the upstream (data going from your computer to the net) is 1mps which is faster than what you prob get with DSL. Great for gaming or voice chat or hosting games as game hosting needs a larger upstream.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by jrb531 on 06-19-2009 07:43 AM

No but you can cancel TV after a month leaving only the internet portion. 

Faster by a ton.... reliablily better because when they install Uverse in your neighborhood they recondition all the lines in the area removing splits, cracked lines and other "patches" to the system that were acceptable for phone service/DSL but not Uverse. Since these same fixes are on lines also used for DSL, your DSL will get better even if you do not subscribe to Uverse. I saw my possible DSL speed double after they reconditioned all the lines in the area before I got Uverse.

Both Uverse and DSL share similar tech and distance and line quality are the killers. Uverse can offer internet speeds of up to 18mps because they run true fiber to the VRAD (neighborhood crossbox) so your distance is less than 3000 feet whereas DSL could be over 12000 feet. They also use Interleaved error correction which allows greater distances/more speed with a small cost of about 20% added latency. 

Usually yes... there are some very old email accounts that cannot be ported over but @sbcglobal and @ameritech.net can be moved for sure and I'm sure many others. 

20% added latency that really only affects gaming and not by very much. I game on it daily without issue but some serious gaming fanatics might not want an extra 20/1000 of a second added to their latency... IE pings might go from 110ms with DSL for 130-140ms with Uverse.

If you want to use (watch or record) more than 2 channels of HD at the same time uverse cannot do this yet but you are talking more about the internet.

They use their own proprietary router for Uverse and you are very limited in what you can change. Most (myself included) get around this (if need be) by adding your own router and setting the Uverse router to just pass through the data allowing your personal router to do the same work as before with your old DSL connection.

I love Uverse Internet. It's very stable, fast and the 20% added latency has been a non-issues for me. The higher speeds do cost more than Comcrap and many other providers but they do allow lower speeds whereas Comcrap, for example, really only offers 12mps and above... if you do not need that speed (and few do) then to bad... you pay for it anyway.

The "sweet" spot for Uverse Internet is the $35 6/1 package. It's the best bang for the buck so to speak.

One major plus for Uverse over DSL is the upstream (data going from your computer to the net) is 1mps which is faster than what you prob get with DSL. Great for gaming or voice chat or hosting games as game hosting needs a larger upstream.

Hope this helps.

Re: Converting from DSL to Uverse

2 of 10 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 8:49:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

jrb531 wrote:

Just adding a little extra info (and not trying to step on any toes):

The maximum upstream rate that you'll get with DSL is between 384Kbps (what you probably have with your current 1.5Mbps downstream rate) and 768Kbps (if you're on the 6Mbps downstream package).  DSL utilizes ADSL / ADSL2 / ADSL2+ technology.

With U-Verse internet service you should get ~1Mbps maximum upstream data rate (for 1.5Mbps and 3.0Mbps downstream rate plans) and ~1.5Mbps (for 12Mbps and 18Mbps downstream plans).  U-Verse utilizes VDSL technology, thus the shorter service distance as jrb531 mentioned.

The better upstream rate makes uploads (such as loading your photos onto a server) a lot quicker.  In your case you may see a ~2.5x increase in your upload rate if you compare the 1.5Mbps downstream plans.

- Steve

jrb531 wrote:

Just adding a little extra info (and not trying to step on any toes):

The maximum upstream rate that you'll get with DSL is between 384Kbps (what you probably have with your current 1.5Mbps downstream rate) and 768Kbps (if you're on the 6Mbps downstream package).  DSL utilizes ADSL / ADSL2 / ADSL2+ technology.

With U-Verse internet service you should get ~1Mbps maximum upstream data rate (for 1.5Mbps and 3.0Mbps downstream rate plans) and ~1.5Mbps (for 12Mbps and 18Mbps downstream plans).  U-Verse utilizes VDSL technology, thus the shorter service distance as jrb531 mentioned.

The better upstream rate makes uploads (such as loading your photos onto a server) a lot quicker.  In your case you may see a ~2.5x increase in your upload rate if you compare the 1.5Mbps downstream plans.

- Steve

3 of 10 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 8:54:09 AM
(0)
Expert
I thought some reported they COULD get Internet w/o TV, period?
I thought some reported they COULD get Internet w/o TV, period?

4 of 10 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 11:05:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Agree w/spd, seen posts about they will sell you service in any variation: internet only, TV only, internet and uphone, TV and uphone, but might have to pay install fee. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 06-19-2009 02:06 PM

Agree w/spd, seen posts about they will sell you service in any variation: internet only, TV only, internet and uphone, TV and uphone, but might have to pay install fee. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 06-19-2009 02:06 PM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 10 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 2:15:16 PM
(0)
Professor

I converted from DSL and POTS to Uverse Internet and Voice, no TV. They waived the install fee, so zero out of pocket. :smileyhappy: 

I converted from DSL and POTS to Uverse Internet and Voice, no TV. They waived the install fee, so zero out of pocket. :smileyhappy: 

6 of 10 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 2:15:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Cool.
Cool.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 10 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 6:27:32 PM
(0)
Employee

If you add TV or Voice after your internet install they may try to charge you an install fee.

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=13295.msg0#new

Don't know how this turned out no follow up.

If you add TV or Voice after your internet install they may try to charge you an install fee.

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=13295.msg0#new

Don't know how this turned out no follow up.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 10 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 8:30:35 PM
(0)
Teacher
I converted over from DSL service and kept my email address (all three) and I did not order the TV service. The speed ROCKS. My current speed is four times faster than my old DSL service. The service is pretty reliable, had an RG go bad after a thunder storm a few weeks ago, but that was it. I recommend the service.
I converted over from DSL service and kept my email address (all three) and I did not order the TV service. The speed ROCKS. My current speed is four times faster than my old DSL service. The service is pretty reliable, had an RG go bad after a thunder storm a few weeks ago, but that was it. I recommend the service.

9 of 10 (6,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2009 9:24:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, it has considerably higher throughput, but perceived latency may be higher, depending on how your network used to be set up, and how well your computers play with the RG.  The RG does firewalling, NAT, and proxies DNS for your hosts.  Mercilessly.  My Macbooks would always hang for several seconds loading web pages, and images wouldn't come up, and it was all due to the poor DNS handling of the RG.  I had to explicitly configure all of my hosts to use AT&T's DNS servers directly in order to get decent page load times.

Yes, it has considerably higher throughput, but perceived latency may be higher, depending on how your network used to be set up, and how well your computers play with the RG.  The RG does firewalling, NAT, and proxies DNS for your hosts.  Mercilessly.  My Macbooks would always hang for several seconds loading web pages, and images wouldn't come up, and it was all due to the poor DNS handling of the RG.  I had to explicitly configure all of my hosts to use AT&T's DNS servers directly in order to get decent page load times.

10 of 10 (6,738 Views)