Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 24, 2010
1:24:27 PM
Connection Dropping
Anyone also experincing a temporary drop of your wireless connection? This is happening on all my computers.
Anyone also experincing a temporary drop of your wireless connection? This is happening on all my computers.

Connection Dropping

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2010 3:08:15 PM
(0)
Guru

Some including myself have noticed the UVerse RG wireless can be a little flakey with some wireless network interface cards at least, and maybe when the spectrum is crowded.

For this reason, you can use your own access point or extra router with its DHCP turned off and connected via one of its LAN ports to the RG (not the WAN... at least in my experience, double-NAT can be problematic... others disagree with me, but all I can do is report my experience, and I'm pretty savvy about networking issues, at least to an intermediate level (understand subnets, DTE vs DCE, etc.)).

If you do this, you'd probably be wise to use the opportunity to upgrade to N-gear anyway... it's backward compatible, so you can upgrade the rest of your computers over time.

Some including myself have noticed the UVerse RG wireless can be a little flakey with some wireless network interface cards at least, and maybe when the spectrum is crowded.

For this reason, you can use your own access point or extra router with its DHCP turned off and connected via one of its LAN ports to the RG (not the WAN... at least in my experience, double-NAT can be problematic... others disagree with me, but all I can do is report my experience, and I'm pretty savvy about networking issues, at least to an intermediate level (understand subnets, DTE vs DCE, etc.)).

If you do this, you'd probably be wise to use the opportunity to upgrade to N-gear anyway... it's backward compatible, so you can upgrade the rest of your computers over time.

Re: Connection Dropping

2 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2010 5:20:53 PM
(0)
Expert

You may want to take a look at my thread How to Minimize Wireless Interference.

You may want to take a look at my thread How to Minimize Wireless Interference.

3 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2010 7:19:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I too have experienced frequent wireless dropouts.  I have followed somejoe's steps and changed my wireless channel, etc.  I have discussed with a T2 rep and they stated my RG had reset an unusually high number of times over a 24hr period (can't remember how many) and sent a tech out to replace my RG.  Replacing the RG has not solved this issue.

I am planning on using an aftermarket router (Netgear) and seeing if that alleviates the problems.  I will update.

Message Edited by snp661 on 01-25-2010 07:19 AM

I too have experienced frequent wireless dropouts.  I have followed somejoe's steps and changed my wireless channel, etc.  I have discussed with a T2 rep and they stated my RG had reset an unusually high number of times over a 24hr period (can't remember how many) and sent a tech out to replace my RG.  Replacing the RG has not solved this issue.

I am planning on using an aftermarket router (Netgear) and seeing if that alleviates the problems.  I will update.

Message Edited by snp661 on 01-25-2010 07:19 AM

4 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2010 9:14:48 AM
(0)
Expert

That's what I ended up doing. 

And could be something unknown (my UFO joke) causing a problem.  Think I discovered what ours was, neighbors with a baby must have had a baby monitor; after they moved, wireless had no problems.

They replaced my RG 3 times...save your sanity, go with another router for wireless. :smileywink:

That's what I ended up doing. 

And could be something unknown (my UFO joke) causing a problem.  Think I discovered what ours was, neighbors with a baby must have had a baby monitor; after they moved, wireless had no problems.

They replaced my RG 3 times...save your sanity, go with another router for wireless. :smileywink:

5 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2010 12:38:49 PM
(0)
Tutor
So I would simply put my old router into one of the LAN ports and use that Wireless instead? Any problem logging into the new router?
So I would simply put my old router into one of the LAN ports and use that Wireless instead? Any problem logging into the new router?

6 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2010 9:50:43 PM
(0)
Tutor
Log into the  gateway 192.168.1.254 and look at the wireless settings. If the Channel is set to AUTO, change it to channel 1--especially if you have aNintendo Wii. I've had uverse for about a month and my Wireless, from basement to 2nd story has been rock solid. Went out the other day, and that's what it was.  Rock solid again.
Log into the  gateway 192.168.1.254 and look at the wireless settings. If the Channel is set to AUTO, change it to channel 1--especially if you have aNintendo Wii. I've had uverse for about a month and my Wireless, from basement to 2nd story has been rock solid. Went out the other day, and that's what it was.  Rock solid again.

7 of 11 (442 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2010 5:30:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
I'm also having the same problem with my wireless connection with the RG. It can occur as short as every 3 minutes of 20 to 40 minutes. Its very annoying and very random. I have already tried resetting the router, trying EVERY wireless channel. In the time of typing this post, my wireless has again dropped and reconnect.
I'm also having the same problem with my wireless connection with the RG. It can occur as short as every 3 minutes of 20 to 40 minutes. Its very annoying and very random. I have already tried resetting the router, trying EVERY wireless channel. In the time of typing this post, my wireless has again dropped and reconnect.

8 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2010 5:51:16 PM
(0)
Expert

jack37069 wrote:
So I would simply put my old router into one of the LAN ports and use that Wireless instead?  Yes 
Any problem logging into the new router?  Not really

jack37069 wrote:
So I would simply put my old router into one of the LAN ports and use that Wireless instead?  Yes 
Any problem logging into the new router?  Not really

9 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2010 2:46:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

This connectivity problem started my second week and went on for three days, lasting a minute or so each time, several times per evening.  But it's NOT a wireless issue - its the main feed because it affects TV, not just the internet, and on the longer "drops" it even affects the phone (VOIP) service.

Tech support put me through the usual - resetting each TV box, resetting my modem/wireless router but since its intermittent there's no way to tell what helps and was obious they were just guessing .  As an early adopter of DSL years ago, I cringe thinkinig maybe once again their marketing isn't far ahead of their capacity. Maybe some of you remember "DSL hell" I just hope this isn't a replay.

This connectivity problem started my second week and went on for three days, lasting a minute or so each time, several times per evening.  But it's NOT a wireless issue - its the main feed because it affects TV, not just the internet, and on the longer "drops" it even affects the phone (VOIP) service.

Tech support put me through the usual - resetting each TV box, resetting my modem/wireless router but since its intermittent there's no way to tell what helps and was obious they were just guessing .  As an early adopter of DSL years ago, I cringe thinkinig maybe once again their marketing isn't far ahead of their capacity. Maybe some of you remember "DSL hell" I just hope this isn't a replay.

10 of 11 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2010 2:49:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

..I shoud add that its not as bad, but continues now, several weeks later.

..I shoud add that its not as bad, but continues now, several weeks later.

11 of 11 (112 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments