Ask a question

Posted Dec 9, 2010
    9:03:09 PM
    View profile
    Connecting Wii to a TV with only coaxial using a U-Verse VIP1200 box

Hello,

I have a very old TV.  It has ONLY ONE coax connection.  There are no A/V I/Os on the back.  It has a VIP1200 U-Verse box connected to it. For clarification, the MAIN U-Verse Modem/Router is in another room and is the brain of our U-Verse network connecting our main television and 2 computers.

I reviewed this issue in another post, with subsequent solution, and found  I needed to purchase something called a composite modulator, which I did.  I went to Best Buy they gave me what I needed (I thought), a Terk Mini-Modulator.  I came home and connected EXACTLY as directed in a previous post. (At least I thoughtI did).  On a scale of 1-10, I'm probably a 6 or 7 with written directions !!!

Anyway, after reviewing the directions for connecting this composite modulator (about 10 times), I DO have Wii on channel 3.  However, supposedly if you power down the Wii you should see some signs of U-Verse.  Unfortunately, I only have gray fuzz now after powering down the Wii console.  It's as if something is not connected correctly, but I did it exactly as the directions indicated.  It says if you power-down the Wii, you should see the U-Verse screen as a minimum.  Like I said:  Only gray fuzz.

With this particular hardware configuration, is it either U-Verse or Wii????  Any suggestions? 

Many thanks for any help you could provide.

Connecting Wii to a TV with only coaxial using a U-Verse VIP1200 box

15 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (15)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 10, 2010 12:42:42 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Hmm, that sounds strange to me, since you said you are seeing the Wii, the modulator sounds like it is hooked up properly, so I don't think that's the problem, is everything tight?

Like you said, if the U-verse STB (box) is set to output on channel 3 (and I think that's the only possibility), and the Wii is set for channel 3, then as soon as you turn off your Wii, you should see U-verse, so everything seems to be set up properly

Do you see U-verse when you connect the STB up directly?  If so, the only thing I can think of is maybe the input jack on the modulator could be broken, the only alternative I can think of is to get a composite multisiwtch so you can use U-verse and the Wii over the modulator

Re: Connecting Wii to a TV with only coaxial using a U-Verse VIP1200 box

2 of 16 (1,911 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 10, 2010 5:23:29 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

I looked at the description of the Terk Mini-modulator. It does say that it performs the function you need and is supposed to include switching between the WII (connected composite) and the STB (connected to the antenna COAX connection) when the WII is turned off.

When you turn off the WII, do not turn off the modulator ( or as a test turn off the modulator to see if the STB works).

Did you reverse the two COAX connections? 

These would seem to be the only possible errors because it is a simple device. If it is still not working, it may be defective & should be retuned to Best Buy.

A manual A/B switch can be used instead of the automatic one built in to the Terk device as Mike suggests. However, I think he is saying to get a composite switch to combine the WII and STB into the Terk. 

A cheaper, easier less complex alternative is a COAX A/B switch on the output side of the Terk. Connect COAX from STB to A, COAX from TERK to B and the common connection goes to the TV.

Let us know how you make out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (1,884 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 10, 2010 8:10:10 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

2springermom wrote:

Hello,

I have a very old TV.  It has ONLY ONE coax connection.  There are no A/V I/Os on the back.  It has a VIP1200 U-Verse box connected to it. For clarification, the MAIN U-Verse Modem/Router is in another room and is the brain of our U-Verse network connecting our main television and 2 computers.

I reviewed this issue in another post, with subsequent solution, and found  I needed to purchase something called a composite modulator, which I did.  I went to Best Buy they gave me what I needed (I thought), a Terk Mini-Modulator.  I came home and connected EXACTLY as directed in a previous post. (At least I thoughtI did).  On a scale of 1-10, I'm probably a 6 or 7 with written directions !!!

Anyway, after reviewing the directions for connecting this composite modulator (about 10 times), I DO have Wii on channel 3.  However, supposedly if you power down the Wii you should see some signs of U-Verse.  Unfortunately, I only have gray fuzz now after powering down the Wii console.  It's as if something is not connected correctly, but I did it exactly as the directions indicated.  It says if you power-down the Wii, you should see the U-Verse screen as a minimum.  Like I said:  Only gray fuzz.

With this particular hardware configuration, is it either U-Verse or Wii????  Any suggestions? 

Many thanks for any help you could provide.

1. Your modulator is powered, right?  What about pulling the 9 VDC plug on the modulator?  It sounds like the modulator might be messing with the U-Verse signal.

2. OR is the Wii going into some kind of standby mode and still sending some signal to the modulator?  Pull the power from the Wii and see if that fixes it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 16 (1,864 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 12, 2010 3:29:48 PM
    (0)
    Guru

aviewer wrote:

I looked at the description of the Terk Mini-modulator. It does say that it performs the function you need and is supposed to include switching between the WII (connected composite) and the STB (connected to the antenna COAX connection) when the WII is turned off.

When you turn off the WII, do not turn off the modulator ( or as a test turn off the modulator to see if the STB works).

These would seem to be the only possible errors because it is a simple device. If it is still not working, it may be defective & should be retuned to Best Buy.

A manual A/B switch can be used instead of the automatic one built in to the Terk device as Mike suggests. However, I think he is saying to get a composite switch to combine the WII and STB into the Terk. 

A cheaper, easier less complex alternative is a COAX A/B switch on the output side of the Terk. Connect COAX from STB to A, COAX from TERK to B and the common connection goes to the TV.

I don't think a composite switch is any more expensive or confusing than a Coax switch, I got a 3 way composite switch at Blockbuster some time ago for I think around $5 or $10, and setup was simple, just follow the color code, and being a 3 way switch (versus a Coax switch which is only 2 way, A and B), there's always a free connection for in case they plan to connect anything else later on

Technically, either a Coax or Composite switch would work fine, so I guess it's really up to the OP to decide

5 of 16 (1,807 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 13, 2010 10:49:07 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

mikedamirault wrote:

aviewer wrote:

I don't think a composite switch is any more expensive or confusing than a Coax switch, I got a 3 way composite switch at Blockbuster some time ago for I think around $5 or $10, and setup was simple, just follow the color code, and being a 3 way switch (versus a Coax switch which is only 2 way, A and B), there's always a free connection for in case they plan to connect anything else later on

Technically, either a Coax or Composite switch would work fine, so I guess it's really up to the OP to decide

In the OP's case, a composite switch is out of the question, as their set is coax only.  If you are talking about adding it before the modulator that sounds like an extra device to introduce interference, failure and so on.  Maybe I'm missing something - I usually do.

6 of 16 (1,771 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 13, 2010 4:42:25 PM
    (0)
    Guru

dhascall wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

aviewer wrote:

In the OP's case, a composite switch is out of the question, as their set is coax only.  If you are talking about adding it before the modulator that sounds like an extra device to introduce interference, failure and so on.  Maybe I'm missing something - I usually do.

The way I was thinking was the Wii was known working, meaning the modulator's Composite jacks are proven working, so if the Wii itself works, unplug the Wii from the modulator, plug the Wii into the Composite switch, plug the STB into the Composite switch, then plug the output of the Composite switch to the modulator's Composite input

Long story short, both the Wii and the U-verse STB would be "modulated" from the Composite switch to the Coax going into the TV

If I read the OP's post correctly, it said that the modulator was a Composite modulator, not a Wii specific modulator, so it's more than possible to use a Composite switch on it

7 of 16 (1,746 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 14, 2010 10:54:59 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Gotcha.  BUT what effect would running a properly modulated U-Verse signal through a modulator have?  I'm wondering about over-doing a proper signal.

8 of 16 (1,710 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 14, 2010 1:18:28 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

It could be hit or miss.  All you can do is not get too cheap on the cost of a signal switcher and try it.  Talk to the people at the store you buy it from and ask if it does not work can you return it for exchange or refund.  So keep that receipt.

9 of 16 (1,694 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 15, 2010 5:59:06 PM
    (0)
    Guru

dhascall wrote:

Gotcha.  BUT what effect would running a properly modulated U-Verse signal through a modulator have?  I'm wondering about over-doing a proper signal.

What do you mean by overdoing a proper signal?

Either switch will work fine, it just depends on what is cheaper, easier to get, and higer quality, there's nothing about a Coax switch that makes it any better than a Composite switch (actually, PQ wise, quite the opposite, the Composite switch won't cause signal degradation/static like the Coax switch might), a Composite switch was just the first thing in my mind

10 of 16 (1,646 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 16, 2010 9:08:55 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

mikedamirault wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Either switch will work fine, it just depends on what is cheaper, easier to get, and higer quality, there's nothing about a Coax switch that makes it any better than a Composite switch (actually, PQ wise, quite the opposite, the Composite switch won't cause signal degradation/static like the Coax switch might), a Composite switch was just the first thing in my mind

My way of thinking (flawed, maybe) is that sending the UVerse composite signal to a composite switch (where the Wii would also be fed) and then to a powered modulator which turns the signal into a coax will degrade the U-Verse signal.  NOT the composite switch but the modulator.  I think that when the Wii is off, the modulator is negatively impacting / degrading the UV signal.  Lose the modulator for U-Verse.

I still stand by my thinking that the Wii's components should be sent on it's own to the modulator and then that coax output will be joined with the UV coax inputs at a coax switch.  Having the modulator in the UV chain puts a powered transformer in the chain, which isn't necessary.  

I know from years of shortwave radio and Ham radio that using transformers (which is an integral part of the modulator) that steps up or down impedances can degrade or attenuate the signal.  For instance, I have a loop antenna that outputs as a balanced line (300 Ohm).  I then have a coax to bring the signal into my home that is 75 ohms.  The antenna terminals on the radio are screw type, 300 Ohm.  So I step the 300 Ohn antenna down to 75 and then have to step it back up to 300 Ohms.  This would use two transformers.  One transformer on its own would negatively impact the signal.   Much like sending a UV signal through a transformer when there are other options.

Having UV only go through one switch is the cleanest way other than a direct connection.  

11 of 16 (1,105 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 17, 2010 2:49:20 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by mikedamirault on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:15:49 AM

dhascall wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

dhascall wrote:

My way of thinking (flawed, maybe) is that sending the UVerse composite signal to a composite switch (where the Wii would also be fed) and then to a powered modulator which turns the signal into a coax will degrade the U-Verse signal.  NOT the composite switch but the modulator.  I think that when the Wii is off, the modulator is negatively impacting / degrading the UV signal.  Lose the modulator for U-Verse.

I still stand by my thinking that the Wii's components should be sent on it's own to the modulator and then that coax output will be joined with the UV coax inputs at a coax switch.  Having the modulator in the UV chain puts a powered transformer in the chain, which isn't necessary.  

I know from years of shortwave radio and Ham radio that using transformers (which is an integral part of the modulator) that steps up or down impedances can degrade or attenuate the signal.  For instance, I have a loop antenna that outputs as a balanced line (300 Ohm).  I then have a coax to bring the signal into my home that is 75 ohms.  The antenna terminals on the radio are screw type, 300 Ohm.  So I step the 300 Ohn antenna down to 75 and then have to step it back up to 300 Ohms.  This would use two transformers.  One transformer on its own would negatively impact the signal.   Much like sending a UV signal through a transformer when there are other options.

Having UV only go through one switch is the cleanest way other than a direct connection.  

In my experience, that is usually the opposite

Any coax input/output uses RF signals (like CATV), and whenever you have a break in the line (splitter, A/B switch, modulator, VCR/DVD recorder w/ built in modulator, etc.), the more breaks you have the more chances you have for RF interference, hence more snow in the image (kind of like OTA before it went digital), which I guess you already know, of course the quality of the Coax/RF equipment could make a difference

With Composite on the other hand, that's not the case, there is no "snow", of course there is interference, just as any other analog signal, but it doesn't result in snow, I think it's more of macroblocking or pixelation, none of which I have experienced very much firsthand with Composite

As far as RF interference is concerned, that would be from the TV to the modulator, between the Wii, U-verse STB and the modulator, there is nothing to do with RF, so as far as the TV and modulator are concerned, it's like having Composite directly on the TV (even though it's a modulator), so in this case, the modulator is just a converter or a bridge, converting the Coax connection into a Composite connection

Now how I see it (and I could be wrong), is while you could always add a Coax A/B switch between the STB and the modulator, and it should work without a problem, it is a break in the line, and therefore a spot for possible RF interference (though in this case, not enough interference to be noticeable), by using Composite, the only interference that could be added is how far back it is in a chain (like a switch, connected to another switch, connected to another switch, so on and so forth), or interference by using some sort of digital Composite switch (something like a surround sound receiver with built in Component switch, which can block copy protected content, like from and iPod Touch), but those don't seem to cause as much interference as multiple breaks in Coax (as it's RF based to begin with)

Again either should do the job fine, and with little to no interference, I just don't see where there would be any noticeable interference between the Wii/STB/Switch and the modulator, the Composite switch itself should be mechanical (unless it's one of the digital ones I mentioned earlier), and should act as if you plugged either the STB or Wii directly to the modulator

Now if you are saying that the modulator will degrade the quality of U-verse (Composite switch or not), where's your point in that?  As far as I am aware, there is no difference in Composite output on any device, Composite is Composite, and by saying that an external modulator (in this case the Terk modulator) would degrade the quality of U-verse, then that would imply that it is also degrading the quality of the Wii output as well, in which case, what's the point?  There is always going to be some sort of image quality degradation with Coax, now if you are implying that the internal modulator inside of the STB is better than the Terk modulator, i'm not doubting the quality of the internal modulator or anything, but I doubt that the internal modulator is of higher quality than the Terk modulator (a company known for high quality RF equipment)

No matter how you put it, you are saying that the signal would get degraded somewhere over the Composite cable or connections itself, I just don't see that

[ Edited ]
    12 of 16 (1,082 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 17, 2010 7:44:57 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

mikedamirault wrote:

dhascall wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Any coax input/output uses RF signals (like CATV), and whenever you have a break in the line (splitter, A/B switch, modulator, VCR/DVD recorder w/ built in modulator, etc.), the more breaks you have the more chances you have for RF interference, hence more snow in the image (kind of like OTA before it went digital), which I guess you already know, of course the quality of the Coax/RF equipment could make a difference

With Composite on the other hand, that's not the case, there is no "snow", of course there is interference, just as any other analog signal, but it doesn't result in snow, I think it's more of macroblocking or pixelation, none of which I have experienced very much firsthand with Composite

As far as RF interference is concerned, that would be from the TV to the modulator, between the Wii, U-verse STB and the modulator, there is nothing to do with RF, so as far as the TV and modulator are concerned, it's like having Composite directly on the TV (even though it's a modulator), so in this case, the modulator is just a converter or a bridge, converting the Coax connection into a Composite connection

Now how I see it (and I could be wrong), is while you could always add a Coax A/B switch between the STB and the modulator, and it should work without a problem, it is a break in the line, and therefore a spot for possible RF interference (though in this case, not enough interference to be noticeable), by using Composite, the only interference that could be added is how far back it is in a chain (like a switch, connected to another switch, connected to another switch, so on and so forth), or interference by using some sort of digital Composite switch (something like a surround sound receiver with built in Component switch, which can block copy protected content, like from and iPod Touch), but those don't seem to cause as much interference as multiple breaks in Coax (as it's RF based to begin with)

Again either should do the job fine, and with little to no interference, I just don't see where there would be any noticeable interference between the Wii/STB/Switch and the modulator, the Composite switch itself should be mechanical (unless it's one of the digital ones I mentioned earlier), and should act as if you plugged either the STB or Wii directly to the modulator

Now if you are saying that the modulator will degrade the quality of U-verse (Composite switch or not), where's your point in that?  As far as I am aware, there is no difference in Composite output on any device, Composite is Composite, and by saying that an external modulator (in this case the Terk modulator) would degrade the quality of U-verse, then that would imply that it is also degrading the quality of the Wii output as well, in which case, what's the point?  There is always going to be some sort of image quality degradation with Coax, now if you are implying that the internal modulator inside of the STB is better than the Terk modulator, i'm not doubting the quality of the internal modulator or anything, but I doubt that the internal modulator is of higher quality than the Terk modulator (a company known for high quality RF equipment)

No matter how you put it, you are saying that the signal would get degraded somewhere over the Composite cable or connections itself, I just don't see that

I never said the cables were the issue Smiley Mad.  I am saying that running the UV signal needlessly through the modulator could be degrading it as the OP stated (seeing some signs of U-verse but it was grey).  That sounds like watching a TV (passing through a VCR) in the early 90's with the VCR inadvertently left on.  The VCR is modulating the signal when it doesn't need to be.  The cable type argument has no bearing.  The OP needs to get the U-Verse signal to the TV without going through the modulator.

Of course this will be solved when the OP gets a set with more than one coax input.

I believe that I am done with this thread (Thank God!) - apparently I'm not making any sense / talking in English or something.  Smiley Happy

13 of 16 (1,061 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 17, 2010 8:19:06 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:19:46 AM

dhascall wrote:

I never said the cables were the issue Smiley Mad.  I am saying that running the UV signal needlessly through the modulator could be degrading it as the OP stated (seeing some signs of U-verse but it was grey).  That sounds like watching a TV (passing through a VCR) in the early 90's with the VCR inadvertently left on.  The VCR is modulating the signal when it doesn't need to be.  The cable type argument has no bearing.  The OP needs to get the U-Verse signal to the TV without going through the modulator.

Of course this will be solved when the OP gets a set with more than one coax input.

I believe that I am done with this thread (Thank God!) - apparently I'm not making any sense / talking in English or something.  Smiley Happy

You have to remember what modulation is.

An NTSC signal on a composite cable is sent as a baseband signal.  This means the signal is present from DC to 6 MHz on the wire, in the native, direct format.

An NTSC signal on a coax cable is sent as a modulated signal.  This means that the NTSC signal has been used to modulate a carrier wave.  For channel 3, this is a 61.5 MHz carrier that is amplitude modulated by the NTSC signal, and then most of the lower sideband is removed (vestigial sideband modulation).

The NTSC signal from the U-Verse box is modulated no matter what.  The only difference in the two ways that both of you are talking about is which device performs the modulation:

A) If you use composite outs of the U-Verse box into the Terk, then the Terk performs the modulation, changing the composite baseband signal to a channel 3 modulated signal.

B) If you use the coax output of the U-Verse box directly, then the U-Verse box is performing the modulation, again, changing the composite baseband signal to a channel 3 modulated signal, but just doing it internally.

So there is no way for the OP to avoid a modulator in the signal path.  His TV takes only a modulated input on coax, so something has to modulate the signal.

The only issue now becomes, which device does a better job of modulation -- the U-Verse box or the Terk?  For video, it's probably a wash since modulation reduces the fine detail no matter what (not that there's any fine detail in the original NTSC signal anyway, the compression has already removed most of it).  However, for audio, the U-Verse box is known to have a low volume problem on coax and this is directly associated with it's internal modulator.  The Terk probably doesn't have this issue, so I'd recommend the composite switch and the Terk together.

Although, in reality, his Terk isn't working as designed anyway and is probably defective -- he should return it and get another one or get a better external modulator and this entire problem would then be eliminated.

[ Edited ]
    14 of 16 (1,053 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 17, 2010 2:05:15 PM
    (0)
    Guru

dhascall wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

dhascall wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

dhascall wrote:

SomeJoe pretty much covered the modulation part I was trying to say, but what you seem to talk about is not the modulation itself, but the pass through, when a modulator is "modulating?", it takes over channel 3, causing interference over all other channels except for the one it's modulating over, with the modulator, now what should happen is when the modulated device (Wii in this case) is turned off, the modulator automatically turns itself off, allowing something called pass through, which takes the Coax input and spits it to the output (in essence, bridging the link), the OP's problem is it failed to do pass through properly

My point (which SomeJoe covered pretty well), is that either way, no matter what switch you use (Coax or Composite), it's going to be modulated either way, so it would depend on what is the better modulator, which doesn't matter anyway, there wouldn't be an interference problem at the Terk modulator to begin with being the problem didn't have to do with modulation to begin with, but instead faulty pass through

The thing you were saying about the early 90's VCR, that would be because the VCR was left on, therefore modulating the VCR's output (either VHS tape, the VCR's Composite input, or even the VCR's internal tuner), with the VCR left on, the modulator in the VCR is left on, therefore leaving pass through disabled, causing interference on any channel other than 3/4 (whatever the VCR's modulator is set to output on), as soon as the VCR is powered off, so is the internal modulator, enabling pass through

@SomeJoe7777-Thanks for clearing that upSmiley Wink

15 of 16 (1,032 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 17, 2010 8:28:29 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Thanks SJ!

16 of 16 (1,015 Views)