Connecting ROKU box

Tutor

Connecting ROKU box

For a number of reasons that I don't want to go into here, I would like to hook up a ROKU box via an Ethernet connection port-hard wired.

ATT support is rather vague about this.

There is a Ethernet port on the back of the cable TV box. Can I use this? (Note I'm not talking about the Router/Modem box)

If not can I use a cable splitter from the COAX that goes into the cable TV Box to the ROKU?

Also any feedback on the ROKU box would be helpful.

Thanks

Jerry

Message 1 of 8 (4,139 Views)
Mentor

Re: Connecting ROKU box

I love my ROKU, but I use it wirelessly.  I wish AT&T would incorporate the apps that I get (some of them anyway) into the service so that I can get rid of the extra box.  I know those apps  (Netflix, Pandora, etc..) don't really generate any revenue for AT&T, but I see them as a "value added" option for the customer.  Somthing else that I wouldn't have to have an extra box for and would help keep customers like me as loyal customers.

There are those that can answer about the ethernet port on the box.  As far as I know, the answer is that you "can" use it, but from what I've read, it might cause other problems.  I'll let someone else answer that as I've never tried to use it.

Message 2 of 8 (4,130 Views)
Expert

Using the Ethernet port on the back of the STB will work, but it is not a supported configuration.  In other words, if you have problems with the STB box like pixelation or freezing, the first thing you will have to do is remove the Roku box.

In reality, it works fine if you use either the STB or the Roku, but not use both at the same time.

Message 3 of 8 (4,109 Views)
ACE - Guru

I connected my Roku box directly to the router and it works fine.  Also I works best to connect it to one of the ports on the RG.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8 (4,071 Views)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Using the Ethernet port on the back of the STB will work, but it is not a supported configuration.  In other words, if you have problems with the STB box like pixelation or freezing, the first thing you will have to do is remove the Roku box.

In reality, it works fine if you use either the STB or the Roku, but not use both at the same time.

SJ - I have my Seagate Freeagent Theater Plus media box hooked up that way.  If I am using it, will my STB not record a program? - if what I understand your last sentence to be saying.....

On a side note - I have the slowest internet (Express 1.5 IIRC).  Pandora, Hulu and the like play fine on my PC but they stutter real bad when using TVersity or Playon via the Seagate.   Is that the slow internet or a weak PC or the RG "throttling" things or what?  Youtube videos played on the Seagate's own GUI are fine.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8 (3,984 Views)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

SJ - I have my Seagate Freeagent Theater Plus media box hooked up that way.  If I am using it, will my STB not record a program? - if what I understand your last sentence to be saying.....

On a side note - I have the slowest internet (Express 1.5 IIRC).  Pandora, Hulu and the like play fine on my PC but they stutter real bad when using TVersity or Playon via the Seagate.   Is that the slow internet or a weak PC or the RG "throttling" things or what?  Youtube videos played on the Seagate's own GUI are fine.

It may record properly and you may have no problem.  It's just a matter of bandwidth.  A stream to a media playback device can be anywhere from 1 to 6 Mbps, and a stream to the U-Verse box can be anywhere from 2 to 6 Mbps.  Can the coax cable handle 12 Mbps?  Maybe, maybe not, it depends on how good the coax is, how busy the RG is, etc.

Thus, I don't recommend using them at the same time even though it will theoretically work under ideal conditions.

I'm not familiar enough with the Seagate FAT+ to say what might be the reason for the stuttering, although I personally have never been able to get TVersity to work right under any circumstances.

Message 6 of 8 (3,958 Views)
Tutor

Thanks all

Jerry

Message 7 of 8 (3,938 Views)
ACE - Master

Good luck, Jerry.

SJ - Thanks!

Message 8 of 8 (3,900 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support