Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 7, 2011
4:55:39 PM
View profile
Configure home Airport based network through i38HG or not?
Edited by TonyGA on Mar 7, 2011 at 5:02:41 PM

I've setup my Home Network using Airport Extreme and Express hardware for wireless and music. The U-verse Technician used 2 separate sets of wires from a Cat5 run from the outside 2Wire HomePortal iNID. One went to the 2Wire i38HG (for internet) and the other to a Netgear switch for the U-Verse TV (running over Cat5 to each room in house). I'm able to disable the i38HG wireless, connect my Airport Extreme based network to the i38HG and the wireless/wired internet work fine. I can also discard the i38HG completely and connect the Airport Extreme to one of the open ports on the Netgear switch. Both scenarios work. Which is better for performance or better for any other reason?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I've setup my Home Network using Airport Extreme and Express hardware for wireless and music. The U-verse Technician used 2 separate sets of wires from a Cat5 run from the outside 2Wire HomePortal iNID. One went to the 2Wire i38HG (for internet) and the other to a Netgear switch for the U-Verse TV (running over Cat5 to each room in house). I'm able to disable the i38HG wireless, connect my Airport Extreme based network to the i38HG and the wireless/wired internet work fine. I can also discard the i38HG completely and connect the Airport Extreme to one of the open ports on the Netgear switch. Both scenarios work. Which is better for performance or better for any other reason?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Configure home Airport based network through i38HG or not?

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2011 1:04:39 AM
(0)
Expert

If its WAP is anything like the 2Wire 3800 (temperamental), I'd stick with the Airport.  I use AP Extreme for computers, and the UV RG handles the TVs.

Unless the i38HG has *n*, then Airport is the best bet for faster Wi-Fi.

My opinion. Smiley Wink

If its WAP is anything like the 2Wire 3800 (temperamental), I'd stick with the Airport.  I use AP Extreme for computers, and the UV RG handles the TVs.

Unless the i38HG has *n*, then Airport is the best bet for faster Wi-Fi.

My opinion. Smiley Wink

Re: Configure home Airport based network through i38HG or not?

2 of 3 (1,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2011 10:26:00 PM
(0)
Master

The AEBS has a farther reach with g and n and the capability of using an external drive attached via usb for remote Time Machine if you are using a Mac.but the Express has the ability to stream audio from itune via optical or analog from the audio out port.

The AEBS has a farther reach with g and n and the capability of using an external drive attached via usb for remote Time Machine if you are using a Mac.but the Express has the ability to stream audio from itune via optical or analog from the audio out port.

Re: Configure home Airport based network through i38HG or not?

3 of 3 (836 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments