Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 19, 2011
2:17:18 PM
Configure Static Routes in 3801HGV? Is there a management page?

In my old 2701HG-B router (DSL) there was an advanced management page (.../management or ../mdc) where among other things, was the ability to set static routes for the network.

I recently upgraded to uverse and now have one of the new 3801HGV's  (what's the -B mean? I don't know exactly which because I'm not a home right now)... I tried the above URL's that worked on my old GW but they do not appear to be there or the URL has changed.

Anyone know what the new URL is? Reason I want / need this ability is to configure a box that acts as a VPN gateway... No I don't want to rig my network doing it a million different ways I'm sure people will try to suggest. I just want the ability to set my own static routes!

In my old 2701HG-B router (DSL) there was an advanced management page (.../management or ../mdc) where among other things, was the ability to set static routes for the network.

I recently upgraded to uverse and now have one of the new 3801HGV's  (what's the -B mean? I don't know exactly which because I'm not a home right now)... I tried the above URL's that worked on my old GW but they do not appear to be there or the URL has changed.

Anyone know what the new URL is? Reason I want / need this ability is to configure a box that acts as a VPN gateway... No I don't want to rig my network doing it a million different ways I'm sure people will try to suggest. I just want the ability to set my own static routes!

Configure Static Routes in 3801HGV? Is there a management page?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 2:28:14 PM
(0)
Expert

There is no way to set static routes with any U-Verse router.

If you have a VPN gateway, you will have to set it up as the DMZ Plus device.

http://192.168.1.254

The default password is on a white sticker on the side of the 3801HGV.

There is no way to set static routes with any U-Verse router.

If you have a VPN gateway, you will have to set it up as the DMZ Plus device.

http://192.168.1.254

The default password is on a white sticker on the side of the 3801HGV.

Re: Configure Static Routes in 3801HGV? Is there a management page?

2 of 7 (7,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 2:33:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for the info, but setting it as the dmz device doesn't really help because the devices on the local network would have no knowledge that traffic to another subnet would need to be routed through that device...

Thanks for the info, but setting it as the dmz device doesn't really help because the devices on the local network would have no knowledge that traffic to another subnet would need to be routed through that device...

3 of 7 (7,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 2:43:33 PM
(0)
Expert

Use your own router then as the DMZ Plus device and put your computers behind that router.

I have this set up at my house with an IPSec tunnel to work and it works well.  My router is a Cisco 2811, but many other routers will also work.

Use your own router then as the DMZ Plus device and put your computers behind that router.

I have this set up at my house with an IPSec tunnel to work and it works well.  My router is a Cisco 2811, but many other routers will also work.

4 of 7 (7,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 7:29:31 AM
(0)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

If you do this, my understanding is that you need to leave your receivers attached to the 2Wire's network. I haven't tried putting one of them behind another router, but I've been told that it won't work.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

If you do this, my understanding is that you need to leave your receivers attached to the 2Wire's network. I haven't tried putting one of them behind another router, but I've been told that it won't work.

5 of 7 (7,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 9:01:04 AM
(0)
Expert

That is correct, the U-Verse DVR and set-top boxes must remain connected to the 2Wire directly, not behind your own router.

That is correct, the U-Verse DVR and set-top boxes must remain connected to the 2Wire directly, not behind your own router.

6 of 7 (7,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2011 5:06:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

I don't think you can set static routes (The 2wire gateway is useless for anything other than basic web surfing - no static routes, a firewall that won't turn off, port fowarding that doesn't foward, etc...). What I ended up doing was using NAT on my router (which is connected to the RG) to translate addresses from 192.168.1.0/24 (Subnet directly connected to the RG) to 172.16.0.0/23 (Subnet behind my router). I also set my router to advertise its routes using RIPv2, but I haven't checked yet to see if the RG is accepting them or not.

I don't think you can set static routes (The 2wire gateway is useless for anything other than basic web surfing - no static routes, a firewall that won't turn off, port fowarding that doesn't foward, etc...). What I ended up doing was using NAT on my router (which is connected to the RG) to translate addresses from 192.168.1.0/24 (Subnet directly connected to the RG) to 172.16.0.0/23 (Subnet behind my router). I also set my router to advertise its routes using RIPv2, but I haven't checked yet to see if the RG is accepting them or not.

7 of 7 (7,580 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments