Coax or Cat6

Contributor

Coax or Cat6

U-Verse JUST became available for my house, so I want to start the prep work so the tech's wont have to be here for 8 hours. I have searched the forums, but really cant find the answer im looking for.

1. for the Main run into the house to the RG, what cable is Required, Coax? or will Cat6 work?

2. from the RG to the STB's what should be used? coax or Cat6

I have 3 Tv's and 2 PC's and a network printer and need WiFi for several devices, and want to know how I should lay out the cabling. My office is the "base" for all networking items.so the RG will be in my office.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 3
Employee

Re: Coax or Cat6

james515 wrote:

U-Verse JUST became available for my house, so I want to start the prep work so the tech's wont have to be here for 8 hours. I have searched the forums, but really cant find the answer im looking for.

1. for the Main run into the house to the RG, what cable is Required, Coax? or will Cat6 work?

2. from the RG to the STB's what should be used? coax or Cat6

I have 3 Tv's and 2 PC's and a network printer and need WiFi for several devices, and want to know how I should lay out the cabling. My office is the "base" for all networking items.so the RG will be in my office.

Thanks 

UTP/Cat5e is the official standard and preferred media for both.
Coax in good condition and properly terminated (and not too chopped up with splitters) is an acceptable alternative.

Either media, properly installed and conditioned work fine with no perceptable difference (if any at all).

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3
Expert

Re: Coax or Cat6

I have a coax install.  The only problem I had with it was a bad splitter that was easily replaced.  Another tech changed the run from the NID to the RG from coax to Cat5.  Everything has been just fine for me.

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support