Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 13, 2011
8:47:02 PM
View profile
Coax Connection to iMac Connected Device

Hi - I have a coax connection to an EyeTV HD device. I keep losing the link, randomly. I schedule something to record on the computer, and what I get is 2 hours of "Television Signal Has Been Lost", followed by a list of 5 things to try, including powering off receivers, residential gateway, etc.

I'va had Uverse for about 4 months, or so, but, just got the eyeTV HD. When on cable, I had another device that got unscrambled HD channels in the clear. 

I use the eyeTV device to capture/edit shows for later viewing on an i-device. 

Any suggestions? This SEEMS to have happened just since the recent software upgrades. 

Client version is 2.0.26496.12

Suggestions, and what debugging information to capture, welcomed. FWIW, I can run MAC or PC debugging tools against the residential gateway, or receivers. Thanks.

Mat

Hi - I have a coax connection to an EyeTV HD device. I keep losing the link, randomly. I schedule something to record on the computer, and what I get is 2 hours of "Television Signal Has Been Lost", followed by a list of 5 things to try, including powering off receivers, residential gateway, etc.

I'va had Uverse for about 4 months, or so, but, just got the eyeTV HD. When on cable, I had another device that got unscrambled HD channels in the clear. 

I use the eyeTV device to capture/edit shows for later viewing on an i-device. 

Any suggestions? This SEEMS to have happened just since the recent software upgrades. 

Client version is 2.0.26496.12

Suggestions, and what debugging information to capture, welcomed. FWIW, I can run MAC or PC debugging tools against the residential gateway, or receivers. Thanks.

Mat

Coax Connection to iMac Connected Device

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 4:08:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Saying you are connected coax means that it is possible that you are trying to receive the incoming line signal and tune the channel in the eye dongle, as you said you did with cable. This is not possible with U-verse because the line signal is different. It is IPTV - packets of digital data - not the TV spectrum of frequencies.

If you are connected coax to the output of an STB, the only channel you can tune the eye to is channel 3 - the fixed frequency of the STB coax output. If you are tuning to the channel you want to record you would be seeing the error message you describe. The STB must be tuned to the  channel you want to record.

Tuning the STB may be problematic - the eye IR blaster may not be compatible with the STB IR receiver. If you leave the STB on - tuned to the channel - it may go to sleep before it records.

If you want to record HD you need to connect component cables between the eye and STB.

Saying you are connected coax means that it is possible that you are trying to receive the incoming line signal and tune the channel in the eye dongle, as you said you did with cable. This is not possible with U-verse because the line signal is different. It is IPTV - packets of digital data - not the TV spectrum of frequencies.

If you are connected coax to the output of an STB, the only channel you can tune the eye to is channel 3 - the fixed frequency of the STB coax output. If you are tuning to the channel you want to record you would be seeing the error message you describe. The STB must be tuned to the  channel you want to record.

Tuning the STB may be problematic - the eye IR blaster may not be compatible with the STB IR receiver. If you leave the STB on - tuned to the channel - it may go to sleep before it records.

If you want to record HD you need to connect component cables between the eye and STB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Coax Connection to iMac Connected Device

2 of 22 (601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 4:36:09 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by piratemc74 on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:36:50 AM

Thanks for the update. I worried I may  not have been complete enough...

Coax goes to U-Verse receiver, from there, component goes to eye-TV HD. It works fine, when "connected". It has an IR-Blaster, that I have configured, and it changes the channels on the receiver. I can bring up the TV-Guide from the eye-TV software, click a channel, and the tuner will tune to that channel.

On the front of the UVerse receiver, I have a green light for power, and a green light next to "Link". I'll wait until the next failure, but, my guess is, I loose the "link". 

Thanks for your help. Suggestions welcomed!

Thanks for the update. I worried I may  not have been complete enough...

Coax goes to U-Verse receiver, from there, component goes to eye-TV HD. It works fine, when "connected". It has an IR-Blaster, that I have configured, and it changes the channels on the receiver. I can bring up the TV-Guide from the eye-TV software, click a channel, and the tuner will tune to that channel.

On the front of the UVerse receiver, I have a green light for power, and a green light next to "Link". I'll wait until the next failure, but, my guess is, I loose the "link". 

Thanks for your help. Suggestions welcomed!

[ Edited ]
3 of 22 (598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 8:53:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sounds like you have everything right. I am guessing that the STB goes to sleep and you IR blaster channel change is not doing any good. Can you have the IR blaster send an OK to wake up the STB.

I am surprized that you are not recording the blue press OK screen.

Sounds like you have everything right. I am guessing that the STB goes to sleep and you IR blaster channel change is not doing any good. Can you have the IR blaster send an OK to wake up the STB.

I am surprized that you are not recording the blue press OK screen.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 22 (580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 9:44:24 AM
(0)
Teacher
Nope, not it. I do send the ok first. I'll. Try to get a screen shot to make it clear.
Nope, not it. I do send the ok first. I'll. Try to get a screen shot to make it clear.

5 of 22 (573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 9:46:01 AM
(0)
Teacher
Oh and, when it's in this state the stb remote is no good. I have to hold in powere button on front to invoke a reset
Oh and, when it's in this state the stb remote is no good. I have to hold in powere button on front to invoke a reset

6 of 22 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 12:30:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I had another thought - Is it possible the eye thinks you are trying to tune a channel by it's tuner - hence, the error messgage.

When you actually want to tune via the IR blaster & get the input from the component connection.

You should try trouble shooting in real time -  like scheduling a recording for now & seeing what is happening.

I was thinking someday I would move in this direction - the mac mini is connected HDMI to the Panasonic plasma. But, I thought I might just record on the DVR then play it into the Mac mini.

I had another thought - Is it possible the eye thinks you are trying to tune a channel by it's tuner - hence, the error messgage.

When you actually want to tune via the IR blaster & get the input from the component connection.

You should try trouble shooting in real time -  like scheduling a recording for now & seeing what is happening.

I was thinking someday I would move in this direction - the mac mini is connected HDMI to the Panasonic plasma. But, I thought I might just record on the DVR then play it into the Mac mini.

7 of 22 (564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 2:02:26 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'm 99.99% sure it's set up right, as I can change channels from with the software and see it send the request to the receiver, live and it works.

The other day it recorded about half a movie then went into the steady 'disconnected' message.
I'm 99.99% sure it's set up right, as I can change channels from with the software and see it send the request to the receiver, live and it works.

The other day it recorded about half a movie then went into the steady 'disconnected' message.

8 of 22 (554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 4:01:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Is it possible you have a bad wire that you are using to connect?

Can you swap with another STB? Can you connect composite (just as a test) with a different wire (maybe stolen from a stereo)?

Is it possible you have a bad wire that you are using to connect?

Can you swap with another STB? Can you connect composite (just as a test) with a different wire (maybe stolen from a stereo)?

9 of 22 (547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 7:47:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

hi - my gut says it's some kind of sleep / wake-up thing. That being said, I set it to record movies during the day, while i was at work, and i got them all 100%, The last one was at 5:45PM today, with about 3 hours of "dead time" before it - and it worked...

Maybe, it is a software thing, that has sorted it out. Just to show you what I was seeing, here's a screen shot.

hi - my gut says it's some kind of sleep / wake-up thing. That being said, I set it to record movies during the day, while i was at work, and i got them all 100%, The last one was at 5:45PM today, with about 3 hours of "dead time" before it - and it worked...

Maybe, it is a software thing, that has sorted it out. Just to show you what I was seeing, here's a screen shot.

10 of 22 (541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 12:48:12 AM
(0)
Guru

piratemc74 wrote:

Maybe the Coax could be the problem?  I would say try disconnecting the Coax line and run a temporary Ethernet line from the RG to the STB and see if the problem persists, if so, the problem could be with either the STB or the RG, if it starts (or stays) working, then the Coax has gone bad, in which case just replace the Coax with Ethernent or call at&t to install new Coax

piratemc74 wrote:

Maybe the Coax could be the problem?  I would say try disconnecting the Coax line and run a temporary Ethernet line from the RG to the STB and see if the problem persists, if so, the problem could be with either the STB or the RG, if it starts (or stays) working, then the Coax has gone bad, in which case just replace the Coax with Ethernent or call at&t to install new Coax

11 of 22 (477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 4:12:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the reply.  This MUST have been related to software/signal strength, has it has now been 3 days in a row, with no outage. I consider this "Case Closed".

Mat

Thanks for the reply.  This MUST have been related to software/signal strength, has it has now been 3 days in a row, with no outage. I consider this "Case Closed".

Mat

12 of 22 (472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 3:00:59 PM
(0)
Mentor
you can run uverserealtime (Google) in a virtual machine on the mac. works great as a free snmp data collector.
you can run uverserealtime (Google) in a virtual machine on the mac. works great as a free snmp data collector.

13 of 22 (463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 4:44:05 PM
(0)
Teacher
I actually tried that but it blew up in install. Paste me a link to a version that will install in fusion and xp? Thanks!
I actually tried that but it blew up in install. Paste me a link to a version that will install in fusion and xp? Thanks!

14 of 22 (458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 5:40:44 PM
(0)
Expert
It will install in Windows XP on VMware Fusion, but you will need to install the Windows Installer 4.5 into the VM first. Download from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4

Make sure to get the version for Windows XP, there are several versions listed there for other OS's.
It will install in Windows XP on VMware Fusion, but you will need to install the Windows Installer 4.5 into the VM first. Download from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4

Make sure to get the version for Windows XP, there are several versions listed there for other OS's.

15 of 22 (454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 5:54:27 AM
(0)
Teacher
Excellent. I'm traveling foe the next week, but will try it when I get home.
Excellent. I'm traveling foe the next week, but will try it when I get home.

16 of 22 (449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 7:42:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

hi - ok, updated the microsoft utility in my fusion environment, got the uverse utility installed, and got it working. Even ran the extended statistics, or, whatever it was called, at the gateway. 

Nothing is jumping out at me. Suggestions of what to look for? I'm still thinking it's some kind of link strength issue. Even this weekend, I was watching a ball game on the computer, and got the "link has been lost" screen, twice in about 30 min. Other TVs all seem fine. 

Last night, set to record a couple of things, and got nothing. Last week, got 3 out of 4. 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

BTW - even though the screen says "link lost", the "green light" on the front, next to the blue light, was as.... odd.

hi - ok, updated the microsoft utility in my fusion environment, got the uverse utility installed, and got it working. Even ran the extended statistics, or, whatever it was called, at the gateway. 

Nothing is jumping out at me. Suggestions of what to look for? I'm still thinking it's some kind of link strength issue. Even this weekend, I was watching a ball game on the computer, and got the "link has been lost" screen, twice in about 30 min. Other TVs all seem fine. 

Last night, set to record a couple of things, and got nothing. Last week, got 3 out of 4. 

Any suggestions are welcome. 

BTW - even though the screen says "link lost", the "green light" on the front, next to the blue light, was as.... odd.

17 of 22 (428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 7:22:06 AM
(0)
Expert
Can you post screenshots of IP/Profile, Bitloading, Coax/HPNA, and Error Table tabs?
Can you post screenshots of IP/Profile, Bitloading, Coax/HPNA, and Error Table tabs?

18 of 22 (418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2011 5:43:03 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by piratemc74 on Jul 2, 2011 at 6:00:30 AM

Thanks for the ongoing help. Sorry for slow reply - hectic week! I hope you see something here. It continues to be sporadic. 

I can't remember if the moderator has to do something to make these images viewable. If I've posted something that won't get resolved, someone please suggest best method to post an image. Thanks.

Thanks for the ongoing help. Sorry for slow reply - hectic week! I hope you see something here. It continues to be sporadic. 

I can't remember if the moderator has to do something to make these images viewable. If I've posted something that won't get resolved, someone please suggest best method to post an image. Thanks.

[ Edited ]
19 of 22 (409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2011 8:36:11 AM
(0)
Expert

You might want to upload them to a photo sharing site, like Picasa, Google, Photobucket, ImageShack, etc. and then post the links here.

You might want to upload them to a photo sharing site, like Picasa, Google, Photobucket, ImageShack, etc. and then post the links here.

20 of 22 (396 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2011 9:53:12 AM
(0)
Expert
I don't see too much in the images that points to a problem, although the bitloading graph looks a bit odd.

The message you're getting "TV signal has been lost" is coming from the U-Verse box -- meaning that it isn't getting the U-Verse signal over the coax connection. This rules out problems with the connection between the box and the EyeTV, and rules out problems with the EyeTV.

I would follow the suggestion above of mikedamirault: Temporarily remove the coax connection from this U-Verse box, and use a long Ethernet cable to plug it into the 2Wire 3801. Run it like that for a week and see if there's any problems (I bet there isn't). If that's the case, have a technician come to fix/condition that coax cable run by replacing wall plates, end connectors, and splitters, if required.
I don't see too much in the images that points to a problem, although the bitloading graph looks a bit odd.

The message you're getting "TV signal has been lost" is coming from the U-Verse box -- meaning that it isn't getting the U-Verse signal over the coax connection. This rules out problems with the connection between the box and the EyeTV, and rules out problems with the EyeTV.

I would follow the suggestion above of mikedamirault: Temporarily remove the coax connection from this U-Verse box, and use a long Ethernet cable to plug it into the 2Wire 3801. Run it like that for a week and see if there's any problems (I bet there isn't). If that's the case, have a technician come to fix/condition that coax cable run by replacing wall plates, end connectors, and splitters, if required.

Re: Try this link - let me know...

22 of 22 (380 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments