Coax Connection to iMac Connected Device

Teacher

Coax Connection to iMac Connected Device

Hi - I have a coax connection to an EyeTV HD device. I keep losing the link, randomly. I schedule something to record on the computer, and what I get is 2 hours of "Television Signal Has Been Lost", followed by a list of 5 things to try, including powering off receivers, residential gateway, etc.

I'va had Uverse for about 4 months, or so, but, just got the eyeTV HD. When on cable, I had another device that got unscrambled HD channels in the clear. 

I use the eyeTV device to capture/edit shows for later viewing on an i-device. 

Any suggestions? This SEEMS to have happened just since the recent software upgrades. 

Client version is 2.0.26496.12

Suggestions, and what debugging information to capture, welcomed. FWIW, I can run MAC or PC debugging tools against the residential gateway, or receivers. Thanks.

Mat

Message 1 of 22 (634 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Coax Connection to iMac Connected Device

Saying you are connected coax means that it is possible that you are trying to receive the incoming line signal and tune the channel in the eye dongle, as you said you did with cable. This is not possible with U-verse because the line signal is different. It is IPTV - packets of digital data - not the TV spectrum of frequencies.

If you are connected coax to the output of an STB, the only channel you can tune the eye to is channel 3 - the fixed frequency of the STB coax output. If you are tuning to the channel you want to record you would be seeing the error message you describe. The STB must be tuned to the  channel you want to record.

Tuning the STB may be problematic - the eye IR blaster may not be compatible with the STB IR receiver. If you leave the STB on - tuned to the channel - it may go to sleep before it records.

If you want to record HD you need to connect component cables between the eye and STB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22 (624 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update. I worried I may  not have been complete enough...

Coax goes to U-Verse receiver, from there, component goes to eye-TV HD. It works fine, when "connected". It has an IR-Blaster, that I have configured, and it changes the channels on the receiver. I can bring up the TV-Guide from the eye-TV software, click a channel, and the tuner will tune to that channel.

On the front of the UVerse receiver, I have a green light for power, and a green light next to "Link". I'll wait until the next failure, but, my guess is, I loose the "link". 

Thanks for your help. Suggestions welcomed!

Message 3 of 22 (621 Views)
ACE - Expert

Sounds like you have everything right. I am guessing that the STB goes to sleep and you IR blaster channel change is not doing any good. Can you have the IR blaster send an OK to wake up the STB.

I am surprized that you are not recording the blue press OK screen.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 22 (603 Views)
Teacher

Nope, not it. I do send the ok first. I'll. Try to get a screen shot to make it clear.
Message 5 of 22 (596 Views)
Teacher

Oh and, when it's in this state the stb remote is no good. I have to hold in powere button on front to invoke a reset
Message 6 of 22 (595 Views)
ACE - Expert

I had another thought - Is it possible the eye thinks you are trying to tune a channel by it's tuner - hence, the error messgage.

When you actually want to tune via the IR blaster & get the input from the component connection.

You should try trouble shooting in real time -  like scheduling a recording for now & seeing what is happening.

I was thinking someday I would move in this direction - the mac mini is connected HDMI to the Panasonic plasma. But, I thought I might just record on the DVR then play it into the Mac mini.

Message 7 of 22 (587 Views)
Teacher

I'm 99.99% sure it's set up right, as I can change channels from with the software and see it send the request to the receiver, live and it works.

The other day it recorded about half a movie then went into the steady 'disconnected' message.
Message 8 of 22 (577 Views)
ACE - Expert

Is it possible you have a bad wire that you are using to connect?

Can you swap with another STB? Can you connect composite (just as a test) with a different wire (maybe stolen from a stereo)?

Message 9 of 22 (570 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

hi - my gut says it's some kind of sleep / wake-up thing. That being said, I set it to record movies during the day, while i was at work, and i got them all 100%, The last one was at 5:45PM today, with about 3 hours of "dead time" before it - and it worked...

Maybe, it is a software thing, that has sorted it out. Just to show you what I was seeing, here's a screen shot.

Message 10 of 22 (564 Views)

piratemc74 wrote:

hi - my gut says it's some kind of sleep / wake-up thing. That being said, I set it to record movies during the day, while i was at work, and i got them all 100%, The last one was at 5:45PM today, with about 3 hours of "dead time" before it - and it worked...

Maybe, it is a software thing, that has sorted it out. Just to show you what I was seeing, here's a screen shot.

Maybe the Coax could be the problem?  I would say try disconnecting the Coax line and run a temporary Ethernet line from the RG to the STB and see if the problem persists, if so, the problem could be with either the STB or the RG, if it starts (or stays) working, then the Coax has gone bad, in which case just replace the Coax with Ethernent or call at&t to install new Coax

Message 11 of 22 (500 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the reply.  This MUST have been related to software/signal strength, has it has now been 3 days in a row, with no outage. I consider this "Case Closed".

Mat

Message 12 of 22 (495 Views)
Mentor

you can run uverserealtime (Google) in a virtual machine on the mac. works great as a free snmp data collector.
Message 13 of 22 (486 Views)
Teacher

I actually tried that but it blew up in install. Paste me a link to a version that will install in fusion and xp? Thanks!
Message 14 of 22 (481 Views)
Expert

It will install in Windows XP on VMware Fusion, but you will need to install the Windows Installer 4.5 into the VM first. Download from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4

Make sure to get the version for Windows XP, there are several versions listed there for other OS's.
Message 15 of 22 (477 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.