Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 4, 2010
10:37:42 PM
Changing the DNS to 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1

So my 2wire with U-Verse kept going out on my mac and I needed to turn airport off then on again every couple of minutes.  I read where if I put the numbers 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 in the DNS it would fix it and it did.  I am clueless when it comes to DNS and want to know if they can somehow hack my computer or give me a virus by me changing this.  

I know this sounds like a stupid question and if someone has time to explain DNS to me in SUPER layman's terms I would be very appreciative.  

Thanks

So my 2wire with U-Verse kept going out on my mac and I needed to turn airport off then on again every couple of minutes.  I read where if I put the numbers 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 in the DNS it would fix it and it did.  I am clueless when it comes to DNS and want to know if they can somehow hack my computer or give me a virus by me changing this.  

I know this sounds like a stupid question and if someone has time to explain DNS to me in SUPER layman's terms I would be very appreciative.  

Thanks

Changing the DNS to 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2010 10:51:38 PM
(0)
Master

DNS is Domain Name System and it turns a hostname into a IP address without it instead of typing att.com you would need the IP address also

search engines would not work as we know it. 

DNS is Domain Name System and it turns a hostname into a IP address without it instead of typing att.com you would need the IP address also

search engines would not work as we know it. 

Re: Changing the DNS to 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1

2 of 8 (6,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2010 10:53:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

So my computer is safe?

So my computer is safe?

3 of 8 (6,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2010 10:54:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No one's going to hack your computer or give you viruses due to hard coding the DNS servers. 

You're still behind the firewall of the RG.  DNS takes the name of the website and turns it into

the IP address of that website.  It's easier for us to remember and understand words and the

internet is built on IP addresses which would be hard to remember ie. 122.34.678.01. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

No one's going to hack your computer or give you viruses due to hard coding the DNS servers. 

You're still behind the firewall of the RG.  DNS takes the name of the website and turns it into

the IP address of that website.  It's easier for us to remember and understand words and the

internet is built on IP addresses which would be hard to remember ie. 122.34.678.01. :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (6,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2010 11:00:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks I appreciate the help.  The internet seems faster since I changed the DNS.
Thanks I appreciate the help.  The internet seems faster since I changed the DNS.

5 of 8 (6,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2010 11:03:19 PM
(0)
Master

The first clue that something is trying to get in your Mac would be a notification on the screen telling you this has an application needing your password and you did not download a particular app also a suspicious one would be you need their particular player to load a video or song

which there again needs your permission once this is given if the code is written corectly you just handed over control so be careful your Mac

came with the ability to play almost anything legal out there and the only other program you might need is Flip For Mac. 

The first clue that something is trying to get in your Mac would be a notification on the screen telling you this has an application needing your password and you did not download a particular app also a suspicious one would be you need their particular player to load a video or song

which there again needs your permission once this is given if the code is written corectly you just handed over control so be careful your Mac

came with the ability to play almost anything legal out there and the only other program you might need is Flip For Mac. 

6 of 8 (6,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2010 11:12:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Film_Director wrote:

You might want see this thread as it's about the problem you had:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22349614-We-got-some-news-Slow-Web-Page-Loading

:smileywink:

Chris

Film_Director wrote:

You might want see this thread as it's about the problem you had:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22349614-We-got-some-news-Slow-Web-Page-Loading

:smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (6,586 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2010 5:03:39 AM
(0)
Mentor

The DNS - Domain Name System - is somewhat like Directory Assistance for the Internet.

To quote Homer Simpson: "Operator! Give me the number for 411!"

Well, in your case, two possible "numbers for 411" are 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1. Those are the low-level Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for special "resolvers", run by AT&T (but named dnsr1.sbcglobal.net and dnsr2.sbcglobal.net) that take domain names like "www.att.com" and turn them into Internet addresses like 72.247.89.145.

You may already suspect that there are many more than two resolvers out there. And there are. Certain operating systems (e.g., Linux, BSD and Mac OSX) even give you the option to run your own so you don't have to depend on anyone else's.

Google has just announced free domain resolvers available at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. They'll work just like the two from AT&T, so the only reasons to prefer one over another would be speed, reliability and security. Some web pages are built from so many pieces from so many different servers that the time spent resolving domain names into IP addresses can take up a significant fraction of the total load time. So your best bet, if you want to get into it, is to simply try them and see if some do work better for you.

The DNS - Domain Name System - is somewhat like Directory Assistance for the Internet.

To quote Homer Simpson: "Operator! Give me the number for 411!"

Well, in your case, two possible "numbers for 411" are 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1. Those are the low-level Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for special "resolvers", run by AT&T (but named dnsr1.sbcglobal.net and dnsr2.sbcglobal.net) that take domain names like "www.att.com" and turn them into Internet addresses like 72.247.89.145.

You may already suspect that there are many more than two resolvers out there. And there are. Certain operating systems (e.g., Linux, BSD and Mac OSX) even give you the option to run your own so you don't have to depend on anyone else's.

Google has just announced free domain resolvers available at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. They'll work just like the two from AT&T, so the only reasons to prefer one over another would be speed, reliability and security. Some web pages are built from so many pieces from so many different servers that the time spent resolving domain names into IP addresses can take up a significant fraction of the total load time. So your best bet, if you want to get into it, is to simply try them and see if some do work better for you.

8 of 8 (6,585 Views)