Cat5 splitter

Highlighted
Teacher

Cat5 splitter

[ Edited ]

If I use a cat5 splitter and run two separate cables from that splitter to two set-top boxes, will this cause signal problems (i.e. Increase in corrected/uncorrected blocks)?

Ron

Message 1 of 3 (525 Views)
Employee

Re: Cat5 splitter

bigrv wrote:

If I use a cat5 splitter and run two separate cables from that splitter to two set-top boxes, will this cause signal problems (i.e. Increase in corrected/uncorrected blocks)?

Ron

There is no such thing as a Cat-(anything) splitter.

A switch is usually used to expand the number of connections. Due to the nature of the IPTV traffic, a small (5 port) Gigabit Ethernet switch is generally recommended.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3 (515 Views)
Scholar

Re: Cat5 splitter

I would not use the device your are refering to. The "splitter" took 2 pairs of wired from a single cable and then allowed you to create 2 network connection. The problem with this is all fthe extra conenctions and the possibility of crosstalk. Use a small Ethernet switch to expand the number of ports.

Message 3 of 3 (495 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.