Cannot connect to LAN in evenings, but WiFi works fine

Contributor

Cannot connect to LAN in evenings, but WiFi works fine

I've been with Uverse for 3 months now.  I've had a few problems but nothing major.  However, for the past week my desktop starts losing it connection to the network starting in the afternoon, until around 9-10pm, it cannot connect to anything at all.  The weird thing is that my laptop can connect to the WiFi, no problem.  I've tried restarting the router, and unplugging/replugging it; still no internet!

Has anyone had this experience?

Frank 

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 8
Master

Re: Cannot connect to LAN in evenings, but WiFi works fine

What OS are you running and have you got it connected by ethernet or is it wireless also.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Vista, wired ethernet.

As I said, the wired ethernet works in the morning, then when I get home from work, it will have started to lose connection 'til it is completely gone.  The laptop I have, however, continues to connect with WiFi with no problems.

Message 3 of 8
Guru

By "morning" do you mean when the desktop is first turned on for the day? If so, the problem could be heat related.
Message 4 of 8
Master

It could be a NIC card going bad . If you run connection manager does it specify anything also try a different port on the router.
Message 5 of 8
Employee

It could be a trojan / virus / root kit and someone is using your computer - have you done a comprehensive malware scan lately?

Does that box have any special applications? Or an online backup program (and maybe you got the clock times reversed or put in 9:00 instead of 21:00 ...)?

If you do a ctrl-alt-delete and bring up the task manager, you can see applications that are running, and processes - the processes list also shows utilization ... you should be able to locate the application(s) or processes that are killing your throughput. There is also a window that shows network throughput, if some other application or process is hijacking your bandwidth, it should show up on that screen as 100% (or near) utilization.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Figured it out.  The wired ethernet goes through the electrical system of the house through those cool plug in adapters.  I had the one on the computer side plugged into a surger protector.  I moved it to the wall socket and it works great. 
Message 7 of 8
Teacher

Those adapters are pretty nice, aren't they?  :smileyhappy:
Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support