Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 16, 2010
6:09:24 AM
Canceling? Thoughts and input appreciated.

Well, it’s been a few months and overall, I’m happy.  However, I still have issues with freezing pictures, and DVR lockups every once in a while.  We’ve done just about everything we can think of to fix the issues.  I’d be fine with staying, but I just got what I believe to be a very good quote from Comcast (who now appears to have a multi room dvr option like At&t).

My questions are:

If I cancel, are there any penalties?  I’ve only been signed up for a month and a half.  I don’t believe I’m in any type of contract.

I received my promo cards, can I still use them?  Are the voided if I cancel too soon?

If I decide to come back, will it be a hassle?  Additional costs?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Well, it’s been a few months and overall, I’m happy.  However, I still have issues with freezing pictures, and DVR lockups every once in a while.  We’ve done just about everything we can think of to fix the issues.  I’d be fine with staying, but I just got what I believe to be a very good quote from Comcast (who now appears to have a multi room dvr option like At&t).

My questions are:

If I cancel, are there any penalties?  I’ve only been signed up for a month and a half.  I don’t believe I’m in any type of contract.

I received my promo cards, can I still use them?  Are the voided if I cancel too soon?

Thanks,

Canceling? Thoughts and input appreciated.

35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 6:24:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

leonowj9 wrote:

My questions are:

If you aren't in a contract then there won't be any early cancellation penalties

You have had the service longer than 30 days so you should be able to use the cards.

The experiences with cs have varied from one sub to another.  All I can say is it depends on the disposition of the csr you talk to.  YRMV.

Thanks,

Before you cancel, have you tried downloading Somejoe's Realtime app?  You can click on the link in his signature, download the software, install it, and take screen shots of your stats.  Then attach them to a post here in the forum so they can be viewed and you will get suggestions about what to do.  You can also contact David at his link, if you aren't making any progress with ts.  Download that app first.

leonowj9 wrote:

My questions are:

If you aren't in a contract then there won't be any early cancellation penalties

You have had the service longer than 30 days so you should be able to use the cards.

The experiences with cs have varied from one sub to another.  All I can say is it depends on the disposition of the csr you talk to.  YRMV.

Thanks,

Before you cancel, have you tried downloading Somejoe's Realtime app?  You can click on the link in his signature, download the software, install it, and take screen shots of your stats.  Then attach them to a post here in the forum so they can be viewed and you will get suggestions about what to do.  You can also contact David at his link, if you aren't making any progress with ts.  Download that app first.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Canceling? Thoughts and input appreciated.

2 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 7:56:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, I have.  All stats looked good.  I've had many on here try to help figure out the issue.  While I've cut down on the problems, it's still not perfect.

Plus, I'm getting a quote for internet tv and phone that is cheaper than my internet and tv from att.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I have.  All stats looked good.  I've had many on here try to help figure out the issue.  While I've cut down on the problems, it's still not perfect.

Plus, I'm getting a quote for internet tv and phone that is cheaper than my internet and tv from att.

Thanks for the input.

3 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 7:59:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Is that a temporary price or permanent.  Many providers are offering lower prices for 6 months or a year.  And then after the promotion period ends you get hit.  And they usually lock you into a two year contract.

Is that a temporary price or permanent.  Many providers are offering lower prices for 6 months or a year.  And then after the promotion period ends you get hit.  And they usually lock you into a two year contract.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 8:11:06 AM
(0)
Master

Be sure and use up all your rewards (gift cards) before you cancel or they may be voided. Sometimes almost immediately upon your cancellation notice.

If you decide to come back to U-verse you will no longer be considered a "new customer" with your account in the same name/address. You will probably not qualify for the "new customer" rates/discounts so you may be paying higher prices.

Know you said you can get a better price w/Comcast but if you are leaving because of picture freezing, and DVR lock-ups, there are some real tech savvy members here who may be able to resolve your problems. Have seen many problems solved here which are beyond the scope of U-verse technical support. :smileywink:

Good luck.

edit: see that you've already tried to resolve your problems here. Oh well, good luck again.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

Be sure and use up all your rewards (gift cards) before you cancel or they may be voided. Sometimes almost immediately upon your cancellation notice.

If you decide to come back to U-verse you will no longer be considered a "new customer" with your account in the same name/address. You will probably not qualify for the "new customer" rates/discounts so you may be paying higher prices.

Know you said you can get a better price w/Comcast but if you are leaving because of picture freezing, and DVR lock-ups, there are some real tech savvy members here who may be able to resolve your problems. Have seen many problems solved here which are beyond the scope of U-verse technical support. :smileywink:

Good luck.

edit: see that you've already tried to resolve your problems here. Oh well, good luck again.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

5 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 12:54:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've worked with many on this issue.  While it only happens 1 time a week, it's annoying.  But the main reasons are the price (600 dollar savings over 24 months), and HD quality.  I've never had HD from comcast, but It has to be better than uverse.  Especially on sports.

Thanks

I've worked with many on this issue.  While it only happens 1 time a week, it's annoying.  But the main reasons are the price (600 dollar savings over 24 months), and HD quality.  I've never had HD from comcast, but It has to be better than uverse.  Especially on sports.

Thanks

6 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 1:19:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

leonowj9 wrote:

Thanks

Not necessarily.  Some have report that the Comcast HD picture quality in there market is worst than the U-verse HD picture quality.  So it depends on your market location.

leonowj9 wrote:

Thanks

Not necessarily.  Some have report that the Comcast HD picture quality in there market is worst than the U-verse HD picture quality.  So it depends on your market location.

7 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 3:33:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

leonowj9 wrote:

Thanks

[text removed - keep it relevant]

I guess I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced the issues that some have.  The majority of UVerse users have no issues what so ever and those that have had an issue have been happy with the support.  Becareful going to Comcast,  there's a reason why they have been voted in the top 5 for WORST customer experience.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

texasguy37 wrote:

leonowj9 wrote:

Thanks

I guess I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced the issues that some have.  The majority of UVerse users have no issues what so ever and those that have had an issue have been happy with the support.  Becareful going to Comcast,  there's a reason why they have been voted in the top 5 for WORST customer experience.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

8 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 6:08:54 AM
(0)
Expert

Couldn't agree with your comments more! :smileywink:
Comcrap was a nightmare with outages for no reason and always days without service; their solution was to bring in your STB and exchange for a newer model.  Have not missed them one bit.

oufanindallas wrote:

Couldn't agree with your comments more! :smileywink:
Comcrap was a nightmare with outages for no reason and always days without service; their solution was to bring in your STB and exchange for a newer model.  Have not missed them one bit.

oufanindallas wrote:

9 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 7:49:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

leonowj9 wrote:

I've never had HD from comcast, but It has to be better than uverse.

Thanks

For premiums (e.g. HBO), Comcast in my area has HD only for the 'main' channel; U-Verse has HD for all channels. Comcast did not have HD for many channels I watch, e.g. MSNBC, Comedy Channel...don't know about sports though.

I am not really picky about quality, but U-Verse has been fine for me.

leonowj9 wrote:

I've never had HD from comcast, but It has to be better than uverse.

Thanks

For premiums (e.g. HBO), Comcast in my area has HD only for the 'main' channel; U-Verse has HD for all channels. Comcast did not have HD for many channels I watch, e.g. MSNBC, Comedy Channel...don't know about sports though.

I am not really picky about quality, but U-Verse has been fine for me.

10 of 36 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 8:38:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've cancelled my TV service because they did nothing to fix it for about 4 months and I still don't have a credit - I paid the whole time.

I can't say that AT&T is any better than the other providers, and I've had them all, but it's certainly no better as far as customer service goes.

I have their internet service and they lied to me about the response time.  They said they upped my service at no charge but then I found out, when it didn't make any difference, that there was no way I'd get better response since I was too far from the equipment.

I have friends working at AT&T who really like it and want to save me from canceling my internet also.  They haven't been able to help.  AT&T called me at home even though I gave them my home and work numbers.  They never called me at work.

I have no where else to go since I'm not happy with service from any of the providers.  They have us where they want us.  Ask for a lot of money but do little for it when their service doesn't work.  Customer Service at AT&T is dismal.  Each time I've called in, and it's been a lot, they want me to go through all the same things I've done for several times previously.  I'm pretty technical and know the box is the problem but they won't send one and just let me hook it up.

I give up!

I've cancelled my TV service because they did nothing to fix it for about 4 months and I still don't have a credit - I paid the whole time.

I can't say that AT&T is any better than the other providers, and I've had them all, but it's certainly no better as far as customer service goes.

I have their internet service and they lied to me about the response time.  They said they upped my service at no charge but then I found out, when it didn't make any difference, that there was no way I'd get better response since I was too far from the equipment.

I have friends working at AT&T who really like it and want to save me from canceling my internet also.  They haven't been able to help.  AT&T called me at home even though I gave them my home and work numbers.  They never called me at work.

I have no where else to go since I'm not happy with service from any of the providers.  They have us where they want us.  Ask for a lot of money but do little for it when their service doesn't work.  Customer Service at AT&T is dismal.  Each time I've called in, and it's been a lot, they want me to go through all the same things I've done for several times previously.  I'm pretty technical and know the box is the problem but they won't send one and just let me hook it up.

I give up!

11 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 8:57:04 AM
(0)
Expert

Tried David?

kmermel wrote:

I give up!

Tried David?

kmermel wrote:

I give up!

12 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 9:19:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sorry that your tv experience was so bad.  The only other option I can think of without going directly to one of the other service providers is buying a 10 foot dish and download your programs through the different satellit providers.  I don't mean DTV or DISH.  I considered it very seriously when I had DTV, but when I got UV I was happy with it.  When I move if I go to an area where Uverse isn't available, I will go the way of the 10 ft. dish.

Sorry that your tv experience was so bad.  The only other option I can think of without going directly to one of the other service providers is buying a 10 foot dish and download your programs through the different satellit providers.  I don't mean DTV or DISH.  I considered it very seriously when I had DTV, but when I got UV I was happy with it.  When I move if I go to an area where Uverse isn't available, I will go the way of the 10 ft. dish.

13 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 11:43:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

kmermel wrote:

I give up!

Hmmm.  I'm trying to be positive about your situation but after reading the first paragraph, I am having my doubts about some things.  Four months and no credit?  Sorry - Post FAIL.  If I call AT&T and mention anything is wrong, i.e. picture freezing, bad customer service, Hallmark channel (!) - they fall all over themselves heaping credits on me.  I do not think that I am alone in this either.

On the other hand, if all this did happen to you - then you get a big "sorry" from me and you must be a very unlucky person as CSR and Tiers 1 and 2 do try to resolve issues.

kmermel wrote:

I give up!

Hmmm.  I'm trying to be positive about your situation but after reading the first paragraph, I am having my doubts about some things.  Four months and no credit?  Sorry - Post FAIL.  If I call AT&T and mention anything is wrong, i.e. picture freezing, bad customer service, Hallmark channel (!) - they fall all over themselves heaping credits on me.  I do not think that I am alone in this either.

On the other hand, if all this did happen to you - then you get a big "sorry" from me and you must be a very unlucky person as CSR and Tiers 1 and 2 do try to resolve issues.

14 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 11:22:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

Ok, I decided to cancel and go with Comcast (to good of a deal to pass up).  I recieved my info to return the equipment, but it only lists the gateway and DVR to be returned.  For some reason, my STB is not on the return form.  When I called to find out why, they said just take it to ups with everything else.  I'm worried if I do this it won't get linked to my account upon the return and I'll be charged the 150 bucks. 

Any thoughts?

Ok, I decided to cancel and go with Comcast (to good of a deal to pass up).  I recieved my info to return the equipment, but it only lists the gateway and DVR to be returned.  For some reason, my STB is not on the return form.  When I called to find out why, they said just take it to ups with everything else.  I'm worried if I do this it won't get linked to my account upon the return and I'll be charged the 150 bucks. 

Any thoughts?

15 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 11:34:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

They should give you a receipt at UPS, don't leave if it's not on there. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

They should give you a receipt at UPS, don't leave if it's not on there. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

16 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 7:50:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

What a mistake.  Comcast is so bad.  I've had two issues thus far.  Both calls I had were terrible.  The box, guide and remote are awful. 

Let this be a lesson for all.  You get what you pay for.

I'd like to call and see what At&t can do.  But I bet I'd have to pay for instilation now.  And who knows if I'd get my same deal I had before.

What a mistake.  Comcast is so bad.  I've had two issues thus far.  Both calls I had were terrible.  The box, guide and remote are awful. 

Let this be a lesson for all.  You get what you pay for.

I'd like to call and see what At&t can do.  But I bet I'd have to pay for instilation now.  And who knows if I'd get my same deal I had before.

17 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 8:42:59 AM
(0)
Master

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but now you see why many here use the nickname "Comcrap".

As already mentioned here you will probably not getting your same deal back. Believe you're also correct in having to pay for an install since you are no longer considered a new customer.

About all you can do is call sales and see if they can make any type of offer/deal to bring you back.

Good luck.

Uniblurb3

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but now you see why many here use the nickname "Comcrap".

As already mentioned here you will probably not getting your same deal back. Believe you're also correct in having to pay for an install since you are no longer considered a new customer.

About all you can do is call sales and see if they can make any type of offer/deal to bring you back.

Good luck.

Uniblurb3

18 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 8:47:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I agree with Uni.  Sometimes the grass just looks greener on the other side.  Price is not the only factor in selecting a TV provider.  The cheapest service is not always the best one for you.

I agree with Uni.  Sometimes the grass just looks greener on the other side.  Price is not the only factor in selecting a TV provider.  The cheapest service is not always the best one for you.

19 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 9:36:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Inexpensive is better than cheap any day.

Inexpensive is better than cheap any day.

20 of 36 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 12:01:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

I may if someone either a manager or billing person does not hurry up and give the info of why I have such a high bill of 412.12 this is disgusting. 

I may if someone either a manager or billing person does not hurry up and give the info of why I have such a high bill of 412.12 this is disgusting. 

21 of 36 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 6:29:38 PM
(0)
Master

Have you looked at the dates of service on your bill to see if a good portion of these costs aren't pro-rated costs? In other words if this is your first bill you will have usage for last month plus the price of the next month of service. U-verse bills a month in advance and maybe that's why your bill is so high. Sometimes a user will see almost 2 full months of service on one bill and don't expect this. Could this be the case?

Uniblurb3

Have you looked at the dates of service on your bill to see if a good portion of these costs aren't pro-rated costs? In other words if this is your first bill you will have usage for last month plus the price of the next month of service. U-verse bills a month in advance and maybe that's why your bill is so high. Sometimes a user will see almost 2 full months of service on one bill and don't expect this. Could this be the case?

Uniblurb3

22 of 36 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 8:31:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm coming back.  Comcast sucks.  At&t hooked me up again.  Great customer service. 

I'm coming back.  Comcast sucks.  At&t hooked me up again.  Great customer service. 

23 of 36 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 8:34:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

leonowj9 wrote:

Really?  Not according to Paul416.  :smileywink:

leonowj9 wrote:

Really?  Not according to Paul416.  :smileywink:

24 of 36 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 4:30:51 PM
(0)
Expert

Welcome back. :smileywink:

leonowj9 wrote:

Welcome back. :smileywink:

leonowj9 wrote:

25 of 36 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 5:31:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It would be good if lots of subs here would read your encounter with Comcast.  ATT isn't perfect but it is no where near the worst provider.  Welcome back.

It would be good if lots of subs here would read your encounter with Comcast.  ATT isn't perfect but it is no where near the worst provider.  Welcome back.

26 of 36 (190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 11:04:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Texasguy37 - Who's Paul416?

Texasguy37 - Who's Paul416?

27 of 36 (190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 11:20:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

leonowj9 - It's too bad you didn't read the first sentence of the first paragraph of your first post before you disconnected your ATT service. It would've saved you time, energy and money. You learned from it though.

You now state that ATT has 'great' customer service. Let's not get carried away.

Comcast has been in the news for a number of years for all the problems they have had, not only with the service to their customers but problems within the company itself. So a $600 savings over 24 months does not surprise me.

Check with Consumer Reports or the Better Business Bureau (BBB) when seeking info on a product/company.

leonowj9 - It's too bad you didn't read the first sentence of the first paragraph of your first post before you disconnected your ATT service. It would've saved you time, energy and money. You learned from it though.

You now state that ATT has 'great' customer service. Let's not get carried away.

Comcast has been in the news for a number of years for all the problems they have had, not only with the service to their customers but problems within the company itself. So a $600 savings over 24 months does not surprise me.

Check with Consumer Reports or the Better Business Bureau (BBB) when seeking info on a product/company.

28 of 36 (190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 8:01:20 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Let's not pick on members who aren't even commenting in the thread. Better yet, let's not call other members out period. Thanks!

Let's not pick on members who aren't even commenting in the thread. Better yet, let's not call other members out period. Thanks!

29 of 36 (190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 11:46:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Are you aware that you can also having freezing on cable as well as pizelation.  That is a problem with the digital signal.  If signal strengh drops you get the freezing and pizelation.  With analog you would get a snowy picture if the signal strengh drops.  Freezing is also caused by a sudden lose of signal which can happed to any provider.  There is not a perfect system out there.  AT&T has about the most reliable service.  Occasional freezing and pizelation is to be expected but not often.  I use a scale to determine what is acceptable.  And freezing a pizelation below 95% of the time is not acceptable to me.  So far I have a 99.5% reliablilty with no problem.  This is just my thought so you will have to do what is best for you.  But remember I have not seen any system that works 100% of the time.

Are you aware that you can also having freezing on cable as well as pizelation.  That is a problem with the digital signal.  If signal strengh drops you get the freezing and pizelation.  With analog you would get a snowy picture if the signal strengh drops.  Freezing is also caused by a sudden lose of signal which can happed to any provider.  There is not a perfect system out there.  AT&T has about the most reliable service.  Occasional freezing and pizelation is to be expected but not often.  I use a scale to determine what is acceptable.  And freezing a pizelation below 95% of the time is not acceptable to me.  So far I have a 99.5% reliablilty with no problem.  This is just my thought so you will have to do what is best for you.  But remember I have not seen any system that works 100% of the time.

30 of 36 (190 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments