Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 8, 2010
3:40:52 PM
View profile
Can you get U-verse internet alone?

Maybe I'm just a dummy tonight but I logged on to compare prices/speed versus Comcast (who I have no and absolutely hate). It said I could get service (plus the guy across the street has it). But when I tried to find out what it costs to have it installed I'm only finding bundles. I haven't found a way to "shop" for just internet. It's TV, TV and Internet, TV, Internet and Phone.

Is there a link that somebody can post for having only U-verse internet? What is the cost for installation or is that something that I can do myself (AT&T having provided the equipment, of course)?

Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Maybe I'm just a dummy tonight but I logged on to compare prices/speed versus Comcast (who I have no and absolutely hate). It said I could get service (plus the guy across the street has it). But when I tried to find out what it costs to have it installed I'm only finding bundles. I haven't found a way to "shop" for just internet. It's TV, TV and Internet, TV, Internet and Phone.

Is there a link that somebody can post for having only U-verse internet? What is the cost for installation or is that something that I can do myself (AT&T having provided the equipment, of course)?

Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Can you get U-verse internet alone?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 7:43:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes you can get Phone, Internet or TV bundled or separately.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Yes you can get Phone, Internet or TV bundled or separately.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can you get U-verse internet alone?

2 of 7 (10,667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 9:16:27 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by mobtek on Dec 8, 2010 at 9:17:40 PM

I've just gotten the "dry-loop" Max Turbo plan myself. Having a bit of an issue at the moment with the speed but it's still plenty fast.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/internet-landing.jsp has the info you want.

I'm being charged a $150 one time installation fee though I have heard you can get a do-it-yourself kit. Also, there is a $3/month equipment rental fee on the modem on top of the service fee.

I've just gotten the "dry-loop" Max Turbo plan myself. Having a bit of an issue at the moment with the speed but it's still plenty fast.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/internet-landing.jsp has the info you want.

I'm being charged a $150 one time installation fee though I have heard you can get a do-it-yourself kit. Also, there is a $3/month equipment rental fee on the modem on top of the service fee.

[ Edited ]
3 of 7 (10,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 9:23:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, you can order U-verse Internet standalone.  If you go to http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/internet-landing.jsp you can check your address for availability, and if it is available you will be taken to the screen where you can compare the various choices.  The screen will have TV, Internet and Voice, but you only select what you want.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Yes, you can order U-verse Internet standalone.  If you go to http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/internet-landing.jsp you can check your address for availability, and if it is available you will be taken to the screen where you can compare the various choices.  The screen will have TV, Internet and Voice, but you only select what you want.

4 of 7 (10,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 4:18:55 PM
(0)
Explorer

txnroger wrote:

This is great news! When did it start? When I first signed up, you had to have the TV service, too. Anyone know if uverse internet is available to businesses?

txnroger wrote:

This is great news! When did it start? When I first signed up, you had to have the TV service, too. Anyone know if uverse internet is available to businesses?

5 of 7 (10,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2010 5:18:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

In the past, when you ordered TV, you got the $150 installation charge credited back off, but if you only installed Internet you didn't.  They change their offers so much that may no longer be true, but go into this with your eyes wide open.

In the past, when you ordered TV, you got the $150 installation charge credited back off, but if you only installed Internet you didn't.  They change their offers so much that may no longer be true, but go into this with your eyes wide open.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (10,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2010 6:03:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

There are two different flavors of U-verse internet, each offered on separate AT&T ordering systems/sites.

On the link provided above, after the system verifies your address and you're on the "Shop Popular Bundles" screen, you must choose "Build your own Bundle".  There is a "TV only" bundle on this page, but apparently AT&T doesn't feel that "Internet only" is a "popular bundle" so you need to build it yourself.

You can just pick an internet speed option and then check out.  There will be a mandatory $100 one-time charge for a 2Wire : 3600HGV Internet Gateway which you are required to buy.  This is the VDSL version of U-verse, which offers downstream speeds ranging from 3 Mbps to 24 Mbps (upstream ranges from 1 to 3 Mbps).

But beware that AT&T may not deliver what they offer.  I ordered this last August and finally gave up on them and cancelled before they ever delivered the necessary Internet Gateway.  They just stalled and never did explain the problem.  I literally spent hours on the phone waiting on them to get it resolved and they never did.

The other flavor of U-verse internet, ADSL2+, is offered at http://www.att.com/dsl

This is also known as IP-DSLAM U-verse.  Speeds are the same as traditional ADSL.  You need to buy a gateway or modem for this version as well, and the VDSL and ADSL2+ gateway/modems are incompatible with each other as well as being incompatible with traditional ADSL modems.  I have no experience with this flavor.  It wasn't offered to me in August, but now it is (and they have stopped offering me traditional ADSL).

There are two different flavors of U-verse internet, each offered on separate AT&T ordering systems/sites.

On the link provided above, after the system verifies your address and you're on the "Shop Popular Bundles" screen, you must choose "Build your own Bundle".  There is a "TV only" bundle on this page, but apparently AT&T doesn't feel that "Internet only" is a "popular bundle" so you need to build it yourself.

You can just pick an internet speed option and then check out.  There will be a mandatory $100 one-time charge for a 2Wire : 3600HGV Internet Gateway which you are required to buy.  This is the VDSL version of U-verse, which offers downstream speeds ranging from 3 Mbps to 24 Mbps (upstream ranges from 1 to 3 Mbps).

But beware that AT&T may not deliver what they offer.  I ordered this last August and finally gave up on them and cancelled before they ever delivered the necessary Internet Gateway.  They just stalled and never did explain the problem.  I literally spent hours on the phone waiting on them to get it resolved and they never did.

The other flavor of U-verse internet, ADSL2+, is offered at http://www.att.com/dsl

This is also known as IP-DSLAM U-verse.  Speeds are the same as traditional ADSL.  You need to buy a gateway or modem for this version as well, and the VDSL and ADSL2+ gateway/modems are incompatible with each other as well as being incompatible with traditional ADSL modems.  I have no experience with this flavor.  It wasn't offered to me in August, but now it is (and they have stopped offering me traditional ADSL).

7 of 7 (10,273 Views)