Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 11, 2008
8:28:02 PM
View profile
Can't open ssh port on gateway firewall

I want to be able to connect to one of my computers by ssh from outside the local network.  So I went into the firewall settings for the 2Wire 3800 gateway, selected the computer, selected "add individual applications", and added "SSH server".  No dice, an attempt to connect times out.  The only way I can connect is to put the computer in DMZ mode, which I don't want to do.

I spent about an hour on the phone with second-level tech support and got nowhere.

I had the ssh server working with port forwarding through an Apple router before I got U-verse, so I'm not a novice with this. Any ideas?

I want to be able to connect to one of my computers by ssh from outside the local network.  So I went into the firewall settings for the 2Wire 3800 gateway, selected the computer, selected "add individual applications", and added "SSH server".  No dice, an attempt to connect times out.  The only way I can connect is to put the computer in DMZ mode, which I don't want to do.

I spent about an hour on the phone with second-level tech support and got nowhere.

I had the ssh server working with port forwarding through an Apple router before I got U-verse, so I'm not a novice with this. Any ideas?

Can't open ssh port on gateway firewall

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2008 10:44:37 PM
(0)
Expert

Remember that once you open the SSH port (or any other port, for that matter) that you cannot test that from inside your own network.  Some routers will intelligently do loopback if you attempt a connection to the router's outside IP address from inside your network, but the U-Verse RG does not do this.

Remember that once you open the SSH port (or any other port, for that matter) that you cannot test that from inside your own network.  Some routers will intelligently do loopback if you attempt a connection to the router's outside IP address from inside your network, but the U-Verse RG does not do this.

Re: Can't open ssh port on gateway firewall

2 of 3 (1,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2008 11:48:38 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks a lot, I didn't know that.  At first I wasn't sure how I could test without driving somewhere, but then I remembered that I had shell access to a web server.  So I ssh'd to the web server, and then back to my machine, and what do you know, it worked!
Thanks a lot, I didn't know that.  At first I wasn't sure how I could test without driving somewhere, but then I remembered that I had shell access to a web server.  So I ssh'd to the web server, and then back to my machine, and what do you know, it worked!

Re: Can't open ssh port on gateway firewall

3 of 3 (1,040 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments