Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 24, 2011
2:11:19 AM
View profile
Can't connect laptop via ethernet cable?

For some reason I can't get my laptop to connect to the internet when I plug in the ethernet cable. The wireless works, but I want the ethernet. I know it should work because I can use the same cable and port to connect my xbox to xbox live. Also, my laptop will say it's connected but can't reach the internet with ethernet. It will say it's connected to the router but all I get it "Page not found."

Anyone know why it's doing this?

Thanks.

For some reason I can't get my laptop to connect to the internet when I plug in the ethernet cable. The wireless works, but I want the ethernet. I know it should work because I can use the same cable and port to connect my xbox to xbox live. Also, my laptop will say it's connected but can't reach the internet with ethernet. It will say it's connected to the router but all I get it "Page not found."

Anyone know why it's doing this?

Thanks.

Can't connect laptop via ethernet cable?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 7:47:20 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by ScottMac on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:49:08 AM

Check the NIC settings for the wired NIC.Make sure it's set for DHCP ("Obtain IP Address Automatically")

Also verify that your wired interface is set to get teh DNS addresses from U-Verse.

Sometimes the software firewall needs to be tweaked. And if you're running Win7, verify thatyou have it set for for "Home Network" (i.e., trusted)

Check the NIC settings for the wired NIC.Make sure it's set for DHCP ("Obtain IP Address Automatically")

Also verify that your wired interface is set to get teh DNS addresses from U-Verse.

Sometimes the software firewall needs to be tweaked. And if you're running Win7, verify thatyou have it set for for "Home Network" (i.e., trusted)

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can't connect laptop via ethernet cable?

[ Edited ]
2 of 13 (13,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 8:52:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

[bump]

I believe I have the same problem with my new U-Verse Internet-only installation:

2 laptops connected via ethernet cable to any port on the back of the RG (3600HGV).  1 will

work, 1 will not -- i.e. the non-working laptop will not get a link on the NIC, and sure enough:

the corresponding network port on the back of the RG also does not show a link LED.

There is nothing wrong with the NICs or the laptops -- I use them all the time in my old house

network (we're getting ready to move).  No wireless is used in any of this.  Moving the laptop

to a different port on the back of the RG doesn't change anything.  New (known-working) cables

don't make any difference.

I've rebooted and power-cycled RG and laptops multiple times, but behavior doesn't change --

it seems like the RG is shutting down the network port for some reason, but I'm at a loss to

understand why, or where to look in the RG configuration to fix/change the behavior.

Any suggestions, pointers to docs or troubleshooting steps to try?

[bump]

I believe I have the same problem with my new U-Verse Internet-only installation:

2 laptops connected via ethernet cable to any port on the back of the RG (3600HGV).  1 will

work, 1 will not -- i.e. the non-working laptop will not get a link on the NIC, and sure enough:

the corresponding network port on the back of the RG also does not show a link LED.

There is nothing wrong with the NICs or the laptops -- I use them all the time in my old house

network (we're getting ready to move).  No wireless is used in any of this.  Moving the laptop

to a different port on the back of the RG doesn't change anything.  New (known-working) cables

don't make any difference.

I've rebooted and power-cycled RG and laptops multiple times, but behavior doesn't change --

it seems like the RG is shutting down the network port for some reason, but I'm at a loss to

understand why, or where to look in the RG configuration to fix/change the behavior.

Any suggestions, pointers to docs or troubleshooting steps to try?

3 of 13 (13,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 10:55:20 AM
(0)
Master

Make sure the drivers for your NIC card are up to date and edit your previous settings it may be trying to establish the former link. 

Make sure the drivers for your NIC card are up to date and edit your previous settings it may be trying to establish the former link. 

4 of 13 (13,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 11:16:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestion, but this isn't a driver/NIC problem -- the driver/NICs all work

fine in a different network.  They're current though, jfyi.

Also rechecked the NIC settings multiple times -- there's nothing about the other old home

network (which works fine) in the network settings when I plug the laptop to the RG.  The

laptop simply doesn't have any network info from the RG at all -- it can't, because there is

no link up between the RG and the laptop.

Think of it this way:  the behavior is as if there were no ethernet cable plugged between

the laptop and the RG port, i.e. there is no link LED on the RG port nor on the laptop NIC.

Yet there is a network cable there.  Again, I've swapped network cables with known

good-and-working network cables, and no difference in behavior.

I believe the key here is the RG is dropping the link -- effectively disabling the port which

the laptop is plugged to.   What conditions would cause a 2wire 3600HGV RG to disable

a wired ethernet port and/or prevent it from establishing link?

Thanks for the suggestion, but this isn't a driver/NIC problem -- the driver/NICs all work

fine in a different network.  They're current though, jfyi.

Also rechecked the NIC settings multiple times -- there's nothing about the other old home

network (which works fine) in the network settings when I plug the laptop to the RG.  The

laptop simply doesn't have any network info from the RG at all -- it can't, because there is

no link up between the RG and the laptop.

Think of it this way:  the behavior is as if there were no ethernet cable plugged between

the laptop and the RG port, i.e. there is no link LED on the RG port nor on the laptop NIC.

Yet there is a network cable there.  Again, I've swapped network cables with known

good-and-working network cables, and no difference in behavior.

I believe the key here is the RG is dropping the link -- effectively disabling the port which

the laptop is plugged to.   What conditions would cause a 2wire 3600HGV RG to disable

a wired ethernet port and/or prevent it from establishing link?

5 of 13 (13,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 12:29:26 PM
(0)
Expert

Check the duplex and speed settings in the NIC configuration on that particular computer.  Make sure they're set to auto/auto.  If you attempt to force a particular speed or duplex, the link might not come up on the RG, even though it would come up on a different brand or model switch.

Check the duplex and speed settings in the NIC configuration on that particular computer.  Make sure they're set to auto/auto.  If you attempt to force a particular speed or duplex, the link might not come up on the RG, even though it would come up on a different brand or model switch.

6 of 13 (13,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 2:28:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks.  Speed/duplex is (and always has been) autonegotiation on the laptop, and the RG

settings are as well (which is apparently the default).  I don't believe that's the problem.

I'm somewhat inclined to try (merely as a troubleshooting datapoint) inserting a small

unmanaged switch in-between the laptop and the RG, just to see what happens. 

Btw, is using a switch (not a router or a WAP or etc.) in that fashion "supported"?  I.e.

if I end up using the 5 static IP address config at some point, I'll need more than the 4

onboard ports on the 3600 anyway -- what do others do for additional wired ethernet

ports?

Using a downstream switch wasn't a problem with traditional DSL with e.g. the good

ole reliable Netopia in "bridge" mode, but these 2wire things appear to be beasts of

a very different stripe.

In any case, I don't really think this current issue is a layer2 sort of problem though -- i.e.

this feels to me like the 2wire box is administratively shutting down the port for some

reason.  Are they known to do such things?  Are there any administrative logs or similar

things I can check?

Apologies for not being completely familiar with the 2wire yet -- I'm unfortunately having

to learn more about them sooner and in greater detail than I expected.  Too many years

with traditional DSL modems, I guess.  :-)

Thanks.  Speed/duplex is (and always has been) autonegotiation on the laptop, and the RG

settings are as well (which is apparently the default).  I don't believe that's the problem.

I'm somewhat inclined to try (merely as a troubleshooting datapoint) inserting a small

unmanaged switch in-between the laptop and the RG, just to see what happens. 

Btw, is using a switch (not a router or a WAP or etc.) in that fashion "supported"?  I.e.

if I end up using the 5 static IP address config at some point, I'll need more than the 4

onboard ports on the 3600 anyway -- what do others do for additional wired ethernet

ports?

Using a downstream switch wasn't a problem with traditional DSL with e.g. the good

ole reliable Netopia in "bridge" mode, but these 2wire things appear to be beasts of

a very different stripe.

In any case, I don't really think this current issue is a layer2 sort of problem though -- i.e.

this feels to me like the 2wire box is administratively shutting down the port for some

reason.  Are they known to do such things?  Are there any administrative logs or similar

things I can check?

Apologies for not being completely familiar with the 2wire yet -- I'm unfortunately having

to learn more about them sooner and in greater detail than I expected.  Too many years

with traditional DSL modems, I guess.  :-)

7 of 13 (13,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 3:36:26 PM
(0)
Expert

No, the 2Wire RG has no capability to shut down an individual Ethernet port.  The only thing you can do to them is change the duplex/speed negotiation.

Yes, you can use a downstream switch with the RG.  If only computers are connected to that downstream switch, you can use just about any switch you want.

If you have DVR/STB units connected to the switch, then you need to use a switch that is 802.1p compliant, preferably one that is Gigabit so that it has enough processing power to handle the IPTV multicast traffic without interfering with other devices on the switch.

No, the 2Wire RG has no capability to shut down an individual Ethernet port.  The only thing you can do to them is change the duplex/speed negotiation.

Yes, you can use a downstream switch with the RG.  If only computers are connected to that downstream switch, you can use just about any switch you want.

If you have DVR/STB units connected to the switch, then you need to use a switch that is 802.1p compliant, preferably one that is Gigabit so that it has enough processing power to handle the IPTV multicast traffic without interfering with other devices on the switch.

8 of 13 (13,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 3:54:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hm, if the RG isn't turning off the port or otherwise blocking it (via configuration or some

other action in software), I'm at a loss to explain what's going on -- I can't think of any other

reason why the RG wouldn't permit link, but the LEDs on the RG and the laptop NIC clearly

show link isn't happening.

Doubly perplexing because I can plug that same laptop into another switch elsewhere and

it links right up and behaves as normal.  I.e. it's something around the RG, seems like.

Good info about adding a switch -- thanks.  Nothing but DSL service (no tv or phone) here so it

should be simple, sounds like.

Hm, if the RG isn't turning off the port or otherwise blocking it (via configuration or some

other action in software), I'm at a loss to explain what's going on -- I can't think of any other

reason why the RG wouldn't permit link, but the LEDs on the RG and the laptop NIC clearly

show link isn't happening.

Doubly perplexing because I can plug that same laptop into another switch elsewhere and

it links right up and behaves as normal.  I.e. it's something around the RG, seems like.

Good info about adding a switch -- thanks.  Nothing but DSL service (no tv or phone) here so it

should be simple, sounds like.

9 of 13 (13,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 6:11:30 PM
(0)
Master

Out of curiousity I know you said you re-booted and power cycled but when you did this have you tried actually pulling the power plug wait 30 seconds then plug it back in (the RG) and then reboot the laptop?

Out of curiousity I know you said you re-booted and power cycled but when you did this have you tried actually pulling the power plug wait 30 seconds then plug it back in (the RG) and then reboot the laptop?

10 of 13 (13,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2011 7:31:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes; but at this point I have no other ideas so I'm happy to try it again.  :-)

As it turns out, we had to rearrange some things in the new house so the 2wire RG (and

the laptops) has been powered off and completely unplugged for a day now; so I'll try it

again from scratch next week.

Thanks for all the thoughts & suggestions.

Yes; but at this point I have no other ideas so I'm happy to try it again.  :-)

As it turns out, we had to rearrange some things in the new house so the 2wire RG (and

the laptops) has been powered off and completely unplugged for a day now; so I'll try it

again from scratch next week.

Thanks for all the thoughts & suggestions.

11 of 13 (12,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 12:37:31 AM
(0)
Employee

Have you tried a new, commercially produced, i.e., known-good cable?

Have you tried a new, commercially produced, i.e., known-good cable?

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 13 (12,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 6:44:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes.  I mentioned that in several earlier posts in this thread.  Known-good cables have been tried.

Yes.  I mentioned that in several earlier posts in this thread.  Known-good cables have been tried.

13 of 13 (12,357 Views)