Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can't access router/vonage adpater behind RG (2Wire 3800HGV-B)

Contributor

Can't access router/vonage adpater behind RG (2Wire 3800HGV-B)

I have a new installation.

I have a Vonage router/adapter from Motorola behind the RG. I just plugged it into one of the RG's ethernet ports, and Vonage phone works (it has quality problems with packet drops though - that is a different issue).

I  am trying to access the Vonage router/adapter managmenet console via the IP address assigned by the RG and I have no access. RG assigns 192.168.1.70 and http://192.168.1.70 returns nothing.

I have tried this in DMZ+ mode and still the same issue.

BTW, I have also tried a Linksys WRT54G, and I can't accesss its management console either.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 7

Re: Can't access router/vonage adpater behind RG (2Wire 3800HGV-B)

It sounds to me that the issue is with the Vonage router/ATA adapter

The DMZ mode on the RG will only have the secondary router (in this case the Vonage router/ATA adapter) connect directly to the internet (by bypassing the router in the RG), this will prevent anything else connected to the RG from accessing the Vonage router/ATA adapter

There are 3 things you can do that should solve your problem

1. Get a new ATA adapter without the router function in it (this may require some work done in the firmware of the replacement ATA to make it work, you should call Vonage first to see if it's possible)

2. Disable routing on the Vonage router/ATA adapter, so it will be nothing more than an ATA adapter and switch (this will require you to connect directly to the Vonage router in order to access the management console page), once you have shut off routing, you should be able to access the management console by using that IP

3. There are 2 types of routers, there are gateway routers, which is the router used between the WAN/internet and your LAN/intranet, then there are standard routers, these are routers that are connected between multiple LANs, most routers have an option in the console where you can the router's setting from "gateway" to "router", once set to "router" it should allow you to connect to the management console by using that IP (again, this will require you to connect directly to the Vonage router/ATA adapter to access the management console page)

Message 2 of 7
Contributor

You can only access the Vonage router from one of the LAN ports on the Vonage router.  Try plugging your computer/laptop into a LAN port on the Vonage router using an ethernet cable.  You will get a new DHCP address assigned from the Vonage router, and then be able to access the control panel of the Vonage router.

I also have a Vonage router for voice.  My question is about voice quality:  does the RG prioritize voice packets?  Is the quality of voice on Vonage good, even when you are using the internet via wireless on the RG?

Message 3 of 7

@JT wrote:

You can only access the Vonage router from one of the LAN ports on the Vonage router.  Try plugging your computer/laptop into a LAN port on the Vonage router using an ethernet cable.  You will get a new DHCP address assigned from the Vonage router, and then be able to access the control panel of the Vonage router.

With the router mode on and set for "gateway", unless the Vonage router has some sort of remote logon feature (found on very few routers), then like you said, you will only be able to access the console from the LAN side of the Vonage router, being that it won't allow access to the console from the WAN side when in "gateway" mode

An easy fix for this would be, like you said, is to connect the computers behind the Vonage router, then connect the Vonage router behind the RG, the problem that is that there are U-verse specific features between the DVR/STBs and the computers (like Media Share) and there may be some other features that require the PCs to be connected directly to the RG, that if you put the computers behind the Vonage router, those features will be blocked, of course a computer could always be unplugged from the RG, connected to the Vonage router to access the console, then reconnect it back to the RG afterwards, but that would just be a pain

You may be right, and even with routing shut off, or has it's router setting set to "router" (versus being set to "gateway") it may still not allow access to the Vonage router's console from computers connected to the RG, but it's worth trying those options before saying it's not possible, and I'm not sure where the phone service/number info is stored, so I don't know if hardware can be replaced while keeping the same account, but I have seen Vonage ATA adapters that don't have a router built-in, and can be connected to any router and still have access to the console, if hardware can be swapped out while keeping the service intact, that's always a viable option

I am not exactly sure what the OP wants, but the idea of connecting PCs behind the Vonage router instead of the RG would make sense to almost anyone with technical experience, if they don't want to use the U-verse TV-PC services (like Media Share) or other features that require a direct connection to the RG, being that the OP is trying to access the console on the Vonage router from PCs connected directly to the RG, I would think that he has the PC's connected to the RG directly for a reason

I also have a Vonage router for voice.  My question is about voice quality:  does the RG prioritize voice packets?  Is the quality of voice on Vonage good, even when you are using the internet via wireless on the RG?

The RG only prioritizes it's own VoIP packets (for U-voice), the RG can't tell the difference between the Vonage router/ATA adapter or a PC, so as far as the RG is concerned, the Vonage router/ATA adapter is nothing more than a networked PC or just another router, it's all just web traffic

I have not browsed the RG firmware enough to know all of it's features, but I do know that most routers have QoS (Quality of Service) modes where you can prioritize a certain network device for a certain amount of bandwith, priority level, etc., if the RG has that feature, it still won't know the difference between the Vonage router/ATA adapter and a PC, but it can prioritize to a particular IP/MAC Address depending on what settings you set for it

Message 4 of 7

So were able to access the Vonage console from behind the RG?  We would love to hear if you got it working:smileywink:

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

Current (non-ATT) configuration is cable modem-vonage router-computer.  The Vonage router is the gateway to the WAN, it prioritizes it's own voice packets over data packets coming through it's LAN ports...this is how Vonage is to provide good voice quality at the same time you're downloading a large file. 

The proposed ATT solution puts the RG in front of the Vonage router, i.e. as the gateway to WAN.  If there is no priority of service in the RG, I'm guessing that Vonage voice quality suffers, particularly if there is a lot of data flowing through the LAN ports of the RG?  Vonage has been my business line for years, it must migrate to a new ATT install.  This issue alone keeps me from switching from cable internet.  Someone must have experience with this?

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted

@JT wrote:

Current (non-ATT) configuration is cable modem-vonage router-computer.  The Vonage router is the gateway to the WAN, it prioritizes it's own voice packets over data packets coming through it's LAN ports...this is how Vonage is to provide good voice quality at the same time you're downloading a large file. 

The proposed ATT solution puts the RG in front of the Vonage router, i.e. as the gateway to WAN.  If there is no priority of service in the RG, I'm guessing that Vonage voice quality suffers, particularly if there is a lot of data flowing through the LAN ports of the RG?  Vonage has been my business line for years, it must migrate to a new ATT install.  This issue alone keeps me from switching from cable internet.  Someone must have experience with this?

The vonage router should act like any other router behind the RG (UVERSE Modem/Gateway) and you should not have any VOIP quality issues if set up correctly.

This is my standard router behind router setup procedure:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG and reboot. Let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG's management console. When I go to the "internal" router it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG. If you don't have wireless on the Vonage router, you can still use the wireless in the RG for internet access, but will not see any of your devices behind the Vonage router.

As for the STBs (set top boxes for TV) they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

If you currently have your router behind a basic DSL or Cable modem, Your setup will be pretty much the same. The RG will replace your modem, then go into your existing router and change it's internet connection type to Dynamic or DHCP. Then change it's internal network IP adress and DHCP Pool and you should be good to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

neon_sign.jpg

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support