Ask a question

Posted Jul 16, 2010
5:24:59 AM
View profile
Can't Connect with Vista

Got new Uvers on Monday.  I have spent many hours attempting to get 3 laptop running Vista connected wirelessly.  I read lots of suggestions and none have worked.  Any idea.  Only resolution from AT&T is to contact ConnectTech and pay $$ to have them help me.  I also have 2 machines with XP and no issue getting them connected.  It has to be something in Vista that is keeping me from connecting. 

Can't Connect with Vista

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 6:57:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

On one of your working/connected Windows XP computers follow the steps below and copy the working settings to your vista computers.

Start > Connect To > Show All Connections > Right click the wireless connection the computer it is connected to > Properties > Go to the "Wireless Networks tab" at the top > At the "Prefered Networks" section highlight the network it is connected to and click properties > Here at the "Association" Tab It shows the working settings. Follow the same steps on vista and make sure these settings are the same. Hope this helps.   ^.^

Re: Can't Connect with Vista

2 of 14 (1,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 1:22:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

When I look at the the Network Connection details the Autoconfiguration for IPv4 has a IP number which isn't in the rate per the 2wire listing. the ip 169.254.178.111.  I have tried to release and renew it but it won't allow it.    My ip range ins 194.168.1.100 - 149

I have logged in as administratior and done a ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew   I get an error unable to contact your dhcp

3 of 14 (1,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 4:47:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

It looks like you have this machine configured with an static IP address (169.254.178.111) and not configured to use DHCP. To change  follow the following steps:

1. In the Network Connections folder, select the connection whose settings you want to change.

2. Use any of the following techniques to open the properties dialog box for the selected connection:

> Select the connection and click Change Settings Of This Connection.
> Right-click the connection icon and choose Properties from the shortcut menu.
> Double-click the connection icon to open the Status dialog box and then click the Properties button on the General tab.

3. In the list of installed network components, select Internet Protocol Version

4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click the Properties button.

4. In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box, 

Credit for the 4 steps above to http://www.techduke.com/2007/06/25/setting-ip-addresses-in-windows-vista/

Finally choose "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

4 of 14 (1,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 5:53:39 PM
(0)
Guru

dallasWolf wrote:

It looks like you have this machine configured with an static IP address (169.254.178.111) and not configured to use DHCP.

That's not a static IP.  That's the default IP that Windows assigns when it cannot get one via DHCP.

5 of 14 (1,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 6:27:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

It looks like when the machine is attempting to get a new IP the process times out and a new IP doesn't get assigned so the system automatically assigns the 169 address.  I log in as admin and release the IP and attempt to reset and I get an error unable to get new ip.  Process times out.  I now have all but one laptop connect but with XP and Vista except for this one machine. 

6 of 14 (1,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 7:39:57 AM
(0)
Guru

So if layer 3 isn't working, let's discuss layer 2.

Does it say it's connected to the wireless network?  Have you tried removing the connection and re-adding it, re-entering the SSID and key?

Also, have you tried connecting via an Ethernet cable just to rule out any kind of networking issue?

7 of 14 (1,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 7:55:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

On Tuesday the day after U Verse was installed I could connect via ethernet card.  I tried this morning and no I can not connect  via ethernet.  When you look at the graphics it appears I getting to the gateway but not beyond.  It says connected locally but has a big RED X from the gateway out.  So it has to be something on the machine that is keeping me from connecting.  I now have 2 XP and 2 Vista machines connected plus my corporate laptop.  I have tried to use system restore back to last week prior to attempting to set up the machine but only days this week are available

8 of 14 (1,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 8:21:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

I'd uninstall the wireless connection on Vista, then restart the laptop.  The wireless NIC will be auto-detected and reinstalled, effectively flushing out any wacky settings and configurations that existed previously.

Then see if it detects your 2Wire setup and wants to connect properly.

9 of 14 (1,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 8:49:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

I uninstalled and shut down and then rebooted and it keeps assign the same ip

10 of 14 (1,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 11:45:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

I finally gave up and decided to do a system restore to the machine.  While that took a while I figured that since I had previously connected via ethernet that it has to be something that changed with all the "fixes" I had tried to get Vista working with U Verse.  I was successful.  When the machine rebooted after the system restore both the ethernet and the wireless became available.  I think the lesson learned here is to first do a system restore point prior to attempting to connect to U Verse with Vista.  That would have saved me many many hours and frustration.  I also think that the support I concerning my issue was very poor.  The only resolution that both the tech who installed and Tier 2 support could provide was to have me pay for ConnectTech.  Given the amount of hours I spent and all the suggestions and "try this" that bill would have been huge. 

11 of 14 (1,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 7:39:08 PM
(0)
Guru

Ultimately it really didn't have anything to do with U-Verse itself; your computer was having a networking problem.  There's nothing special about connecting U-Verse versus any other service.

Yes, tech support would've cost you a lot, but in fairness AT&T (or any Internet provider) can't be expected to do your PC support for free.

12 of 14 (1,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 7:02:58 AM
(0)
Guru

cheer wrote:

Ultimately it really didn't have anything to do with U-Verse itself; your computer was having a networking problem.  There's nothing special about connecting U-Verse versus any other service.

Yes, tech support would've cost you a lot, but in fairness AT&T (or any Internet provider) can't be expected to do your PC support for free.

I agree, but many people think they should do it for free.......I paid for internet access, make it work.....

Sent from my iPhone 4

13 of 14 (1,384 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 9:12:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am not disagree with any of the last statements.  But from a customer perspective there should have be a assistance because my internet which was using a 2wire DLS router through AT&T was working prior to the new service there should have at least have been some suggested path forward.  Spending 8 hours in my house for the install and not providing any information on how the TV's work, not identifying support sites to visit and walking away from the customer home with only limited use of the product is not appropriate. 

14 of 14 (1,384 Views)