Can not watch videos on entertainment.att.net/tv

Scholar

Can not watch videos on entertainment.att.net/tv

At work, I go to this site and can watch any video. At home (I got U-Verse on Saturday) I get The requested video can not be displayed in your region for every video I try to watch. What gives?
Message 1 of 33 (3,393 Views)
Teacher

Re: Can not watch videos on entertainment.att.net/tv

Physical location of your computer does not necessarily correlate to your ISP's location.  It's quite possible that your home ISP is routed through a region where it can't be shown.  
Message 2 of 33 (3,366 Views)
Scholar

But my ISP should be AT&T, right? I got U-Verse on Saturday. Do I need to contact Tech Support? I mean, I'm trying to use the AT&T entertainment site... I tried going directly to Hulu and it worked, no errors or warnings.

Thanks

Message 3 of 33 (3,366 Views)
ACE - Master

Is AT&T your internet provider?  Some folks only get U-Verse TV and not the net.  Could be some firewall blocking, also.  I'd call Tier 2.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 33 (3,366 Views)
Scholar

I got the whole package, Internet, Phone and TV. I had DSL (AT&T) before. I never tried that website with DSL, so I dont' know if it is related to the new u-verse installation. Like I said, going directly to Hulu, which is what the videos on that site are, works fine, no warning... I wonder if I should call AT&T Technical Support tonight? I mean, they recommended that I go to that site, and if it can't load a video because it thinks I'm in the wrong "region", then something is not configured correctly. Right?

Thanks

Message 5 of 33 (3,366 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Sorry, how do I call Tier 2? Do I call AT&T Tech Support and ask for Tier 2?

Thanks

Message 6 of 33 (3,366 Views)
ACE - Expert

Might try 1-866-757-9808. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 33 (3,366 Views)
Scholar

I spoke to Tier 2 last night. She rebooted my RG. That didn't fix it. She told me that maybe there is some work going on in my area and I should wait for 3 days and see if it clears up. Hmmmmm. Not a huge level of confidence with all that. I told her it worked at my work and didn't hat home. Two different zipcodes... Oh well, I guess I'll wait until Friday to call them back. This problem is on all my computers on my LAN. At work we don't use AT&T. I guess anything is possible. I'll post back if it starts working or if I have to call them on Friday. Wish me luck.

Thanks

Message 8 of 33 (3,366 Views)
ACE - Expert

I'm betting that your IP address range being assigned by U-verse HSI for your area is not being properly identified as being within the United States by the service used by the entertainment.att.net site.  Visit www.ip2location.com (or some similar site) and see where it says you are.  I have no idea what service entertainment.att.net uses for this, so the results from this particular link aren't conclusive, but may be enlighening.

Message 9 of 33 (3,366 Views)
ACE - Master

I would ask for a credit...seriously!  She told you to wait for three days?  :smileysurprised:

Message 10 of 33 (3,366 Views)
ACE - Expert

A credit for what, exactly?

AFAIK, entertainment.att.net/tv is a publicly available site, so there's no refund available for "free."

U-verse HSI is not responsible for sites that may mis-identify the location of a given IP address and deny free service.  If HSI is allowing him to get to this site, then he's getting what he's paying for.  If the site's not behaving...

I'm sure the U-verse CSR's know exactly ZIP about this site (even less than they know about U-verse) and can't be expected to provide useful, correct, meaningful answers about it.  However, they should be able to say "I don't know sir" instead of making up stupid stuff.

Message 11 of 33 (3,162 Views)
Scholar

I think he was joking...

Message 12 of 33 (3,162 Views)
Scholar

I realize this isn't a super major issue. In fact, I can go to the source of these videos (Hulu) and watch anything I want there. It seems like AT&T is adding some extra region checking on the entertainment site. Although I don't really expect any credit, I do want to figure out why I can see these videos from work (8 miles away from my house) and not on my LAN. I have 2 Macs and  PC and I get the same error on all of them, so I would guess it has something to do with my system configuration. Some one suggested the IP address that is being used may be in the wrong region. I did a google search and found a post of someone in France that could not view these videos (not in the right region). So that makes me think that the site is keying off something to detect where you are coming from. Tonight I will check my IP address and see if it thinks I'm in another country.

I'll post my findings.

Message 13 of 33 (3,162 Views)

I see you are up in the Dallas area, it is working fine for me down here in the Houston area.

Usually that happens if you are trying to watch something from an out of country website, but should work fine here in the US.

Example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive/ This shows "Not available in your area".

http://entertainment.att.net/tv/show/undercover-boss Should play inside the USA.

Message 14 of 33 (3,162 Views)
Scholar

Startrekfanatic wrote:

I see you are up in the Dallas area, it is working fine for me down here in the Houston area.

Usually that happens if you are trying to watch something from an out of country website, but should work fine here in the US.

Example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/watchlive/ This shows "Not available in your area".

http://entertainment.att.net/tv/show/undercover-boss Should play inside the USA.

How strange, I went to the link above and it works now. You're right, the bbc link does not work form me.

Maybe they were right and it was "work being done in my area".

Thanks

Message 15 of 33 (3,162 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.