Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted May 15, 2009
11:21:49 AM
Cable Card

Hello, everyone.  This is my first post in this forum. 

I have a Mitsubishi 57" DLP and current have a Uverse THDVR.  It bugs me to death :smileymad:that I can't get DD5.1 through HDMI to my receiver (Sony STR-DA5300ES)!!  From what I understand, the "Cable Card" feature on my Mitsu would eliminate the Uverse box (and subsequent monthly charge).  Here are my questions:

Has anyone used a cablecard with Uverse with success? 

What are the pros and cons? 

How would I hook up my receiver and DVR (I realize I would have to purchase one)?

And, most importantly, would HD channel come through in DD5.1?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Russell

I have a Mitsubishi 57" DLP and current have a Uverse THDVR.  It bugs me to death :smileymad:that I can't get DD5.1 through HDMI to my receiver (Sony STR-DA5300ES)!!  From what I understand, the "Cable Card" feature on my Mitsu would eliminate the Uverse box (and subsequent monthly charge).  Here are my questions:

How would I hook up my receiver and DVR (I realize I would have to purchase one)?

And, most importantly, would HD channel come through in DD5.1?

Russell

Cable Card

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 11:26:08 AM
(0)
Master

triumphrider wrote:

I have a Mitsubishi 57" DLP and current have a Uverse THDVR.  It bugs me to death :smileymad:that I can't get DD5.1 through HDMI to my receiver (Sony STR-DA5300ES)!!  From what I understand, the "Cable Card" feature on my Mitsu would eliminate the Uverse box (and subsequent monthly charge).  no way

Here are my questions:

Has anyone used a cablecard with Uverse with success?   nope

And, most importantly, would HD channel come through in DD5.1?  optical cable only (tos link)

Russell

fwiw  the u200 and above pkgs come with dvr free    ......  each add on stb is $7  each

the u100 doesnt ??  i think ?

check out the packages in the link above on the forum next to " home "
Message Edited by randyl on 05-15-2009 01:30 PM

triumphrider wrote:

I have a Mitsubishi 57" DLP and current have a Uverse THDVR.  It bugs me to death :smileymad:that I can't get DD5.1 through HDMI to my receiver (Sony STR-DA5300ES)!!  From what I understand, the "Cable Card" feature on my Mitsu would eliminate the Uverse box (and subsequent monthly charge).  no way

Here are my questions:

Has anyone used a cablecard with Uverse with success?   nope

And, most importantly, would HD channel come through in DD5.1?  optical cable only (tos link)

Russell

fwiw  the u200 and above pkgs come with dvr free    ......  each add on stb is $7  each

the u100 doesnt ??  i think ?

check out the packages in the link above on the forum next to " home "
Message Edited by randyl on 05-15-2009 01:30 PM

Re: Cable Card

2 of 9 (6,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 11:41:53 AM
(0)
Scholar
Don't forget cable companies charge for the rental of Cable cards too.  My friend pays $5/month for his.  Think of it as their monthly "provisioning" fee.  Just run an optical from the uverse box to the a/v receiver.  You would have to do this anyway for your cable card solution except it would be optical from tv to a/v receiver.
Don't forget cable companies charge for the rental of Cable cards too.  My friend pays $5/month for his.  Think of it as their monthly "provisioning" fee.  Just run an optical from the uverse box to the a/v receiver.  You would have to do this anyway for your cable card solution except it would be optical from tv to a/v receiver.

3 of 9 (6,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 11:42:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

triumphrider wrote:

Russell

It could eliminate the 'cable' box if you had Comcrap, TWC or some other cable system you could use it, that cable card is useless on Uverse as it isn't a 'cable' system. You must have a DVR/STB for every TV and there is no monthly charge for the DVR as it's included in the package price.  As Randy stated you could get rid of the DVR w/the basic u100 package w/o alot of channels if you didn't want to record anything.  That 'cable' (yes for cable, not IPTV) card will not work here, don't know what you 'understand' about it. :smileysurprised:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

triumphrider wrote:

Russell

It could eliminate the 'cable' box if you had Comcrap, TWC or some other cable system you could use it, that cable card is useless on Uverse as it isn't a 'cable' system. You must have a DVR/STB for every TV and there is no monthly charge for the DVR as it's included in the package price.  As Randy stated you could get rid of the DVR w/the basic u100 package w/o alot of channels if you didn't want to record anything.  That 'cable' (yes for cable, not IPTV) card will not work here, don't know what you 'understand' about it. :smileysurprised:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (6,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 11:43:56 AM
(0)
Scholar
All current cable cards only support QAM not IPTV as far as I know so you can't use them with UV. They also don't provide DVR capability although some Tvs now have this imbedded.
Message Edited by fl_cyclist on 05-15-2009 11:44 AM
All current cable cards only support QAM not IPTV as far as I know so you can't use them with UV. They also don't provide DVR capability although some Tvs now have this imbedded.
Message Edited by fl_cyclist on 05-15-2009 11:44 AM

5 of 9 (6,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2009 2:57:10 PM
(0)
Guru

First, a CableCard slot is a replacement for a Cable box (notice how I said Cable), the CableCard slot is used for cable customers that want Premium Digital channels (the channels that require the cable box) but do not want to waste the space to add such a box

Next, U-Verse is not cable, it can use the Coax lines in your house through an HPNA connection, but it does not send an RF signal over the Coax like cable does, U-Verse is IPTV, and no matter how the U-Verse box is connected to the RG, it is still connecting to the internet, and the QAM tuner your CableCard compatible TV has is not capable of connecting to the internet, therefore is not compatible with the RG or the U-Verse service as a whole

You need the U-Verse IPTV box to get U-Verse service, I would say just use optical audio if you are having audio problems with HDMI

First, a CableCard slot is a replacement for a Cable box (notice how I said Cable), the CableCard slot is used for cable customers that want Premium Digital channels (the channels that require the cable box) but do not want to waste the space to add such a box

Next, U-Verse is not cable, it can use the Coax lines in your house through an HPNA connection, but it does not send an RF signal over the Coax like cable does, U-Verse is IPTV, and no matter how the U-Verse box is connected to the RG, it is still connecting to the internet, and the QAM tuner your CableCard compatible TV has is not capable of connecting to the internet, therefore is not compatible with the RG or the U-Verse service as a whole

You need the U-Verse IPTV box to get U-Verse service, I would say just use optical audio if you are having audio problems with HDMI

6 of 9 (6,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 4:40:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm currently with Charter, have three TiVo's, latest being the Premier XL.  There is no way a DVR from a service can compare with the content, abilities, of a Tivo.  

That being said, my land lines, Internet and iPhones are with AT&T.  I wanted to bundle it all together and get U-Verse, but reading in the community it seems that U-Verse is not TiVo friendly because of its CableCARD.  Not too happy that TiVo went that route, without even being cautious with their wording of the needs of new TiVo boxes.  Then after I've gotten past the CableCARD and Tuner Adapter mess to get my Charter HD, etc., working I find that now VOD and PPV doesn't work with the CableCARD.  Which isn't too bad since with my Premier and Tivo HD I have access to Netflix (and other content) which makes VOD & PPV almost unnecessary.

Back to my wish to bundle - is my understanding from the posts here that one cannot either do the TiVo or it needs special equipment from AT&T?

Thanks - Tom

I'm currently with Charter, have three TiVo's, latest being the Premier XL.  There is no way a DVR from a service can compare with the content, abilities, of a Tivo.  

That being said, my land lines, Internet and iPhones are with AT&T.  I wanted to bundle it all together and get U-Verse, but reading in the community it seems that U-Verse is not TiVo friendly because of its CableCARD.  Not too happy that TiVo went that route, without even being cautious with their wording of the needs of new TiVo boxes.  Then after I've gotten past the CableCARD and Tuner Adapter mess to get my Charter HD, etc., working I find that now VOD and PPV doesn't work with the CableCARD.  Which isn't too bad since with my Premier and Tivo HD I have access to Netflix (and other content) which makes VOD & PPV almost unnecessary.

Back to my wish to bundle - is my understanding from the posts here that one cannot either do the TiVo or it needs special equipment from AT&T?

Thanks - Tom

7 of 9 (6,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2010 4:50:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Dec 17, 2010 at 4:50:54 PM

The Tivo HD and Tivo Premier DVR's do not work with AT&T.  Some users have gotten the Tivo Series 1 and Series 2 DVR's to work with U-verse.

The Tivo HD and Tivo Premier DVR's do not work with AT&T.  Some users have gotten the Tivo Series 1 and Series 2 DVR's to work with U-verse.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (6,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 12:01:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

There are folks who no longer recommend Tivo's.  Check this PC Mag article (What not to buy 2010).  Too bad that UV does not follow Verizon's cue and add media and social networking (and internet) to its DVR. Smiley Wink

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373593,00.asp

Don't Buy: A Third-Party DVR

I owned a TiVo for a few years and really and truly loved it—until the hard drive died. Today,Verizon FiOS rents me a Motorola DVR for about $9 a month. The interface has improved drastically in the last two years and now it doubles as a media hub and a social-networking access point. It doesn't do everything well, but I find that it gets better all the time. The leading example of third-party DVRs, TiVo is no longer the exciting innovation it once was. The company has improved the interface and continues to add features. Unfortunately, it's simply easier to use your cable provider's own DVR—which doesn't need a cable card to work.

There are folks who no longer recommend Tivo's.  Check this PC Mag article (What not to buy 2010).  Too bad that UV does not follow Verizon's cue and add media and social networking (and internet) to its DVR. Smiley Wink

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373593,00.asp

Don't Buy: A Third-Party DVR

I owned a TiVo for a few years and really and truly loved it—until the hard drive died. Today,Verizon FiOS rents me a Motorola DVR for about $9 a month. The interface has improved drastically in the last two years and now it doubles as a media hub and a social-networking access point. It doesn't do everything well, but I find that it gets better all the time. The leading example of third-party DVRs, TiVo is no longer the exciting innovation it once was. The company has improved the interface and continues to add features. Unfortunately, it's simply easier to use your cable provider's own DVR—which doesn't need a cable card to work.

9 of 9 (6,348 Views)