Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 28, 2010
7:14:33 AM
View profile
CAT5 -vs- Coax?

I just had Uverse installed at my house on Saturday, so far so good except one issue. I have 1 HDTV, which is connected to the modem through Cat5. My other 2 boxes connect via coax. I have noticed on the HDTV (Cat5) that when watching HDTV channels, i'll get audio drops every once in a while, and also had one case where the audio and video were out of sync.

I'm wondering if this could be caused by the fact that the STB is connected via Cat5. I asked the tech who installed it if there were any inherent issues with setting it up that way, specifically with regards to bandwith issues on the modem (especially during high-traffic times like while downloading stuff on the internet, transferring files between networked computers, etc), and he said no.

Anyone have similar experiences or any feelings about connecting STB's via Cat5 -vs- coax and networking issues?

I just had Uverse installed at my house on Saturday, so far so good except one issue. I have 1 HDTV, which is connected to the modem through Cat5. My other 2 boxes connect via coax. I have noticed on the HDTV (Cat5) that when watching HDTV channels, i'll get audio drops every once in a while, and also had one case where the audio and video were out of sync.

I'm wondering if this could be caused by the fact that the STB is connected via Cat5. I asked the tech who installed it if there were any inherent issues with setting it up that way, specifically with regards to bandwith issues on the modem (especially during high-traffic times like while downloading stuff on the internet, transferring files between networked computers, etc), and he said no.

Anyone have similar experiences or any feelings about connecting STB's via Cat5 -vs- coax and networking issues?

CAT5 -vs- Coax?

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 8:23:44 AM
(0)
Employee

Properly installed, there is no observable performance diffrerence between Cat5e or coax to either the STB/DVR or the RG.

The symptoms you mentioned are not cable related; the audio drop-out is a well-known issue (and being worked on). The "solution" is to drop back to the red/white RCA stereo cables and listen to everything in Dolby ProLogic until they get it fixed.

Cat5e is the preferred media, with coax being an "acceptable alternative" as long as it's the right type, in good shape, properly terminated, and doesn't look like a grapevine of splitters.

Also, contrary to what your installer told you, Video (and voice, if you have it) are higher priority traffic and take precedence over the Internet traffic; that is to say, unless you are BitTorrenting at Max rates, you won't see a video or voice performance hit from any Internet-based traffic. Torrents are one of several special cases, becasue they tend to exhaust resources (other than bandwidth - NAT, frowarding, sessions ,,,).

Properly installed, there is no observable performance diffrerence between Cat5e or coax to either the STB/DVR or the RG.

The symptoms you mentioned are not cable related; the audio drop-out is a well-known issue (and being worked on). The "solution" is to drop back to the red/white RCA stereo cables and listen to everything in Dolby ProLogic until they get it fixed.

Cat5e is the preferred media, with coax being an "acceptable alternative" as long as it's the right type, in good shape, properly terminated, and doesn't look like a grapevine of splitters.

Also, contrary to what your installer told you, Video (and voice, if you have it) are higher priority traffic and take precedence over the Internet traffic; that is to say, unless you are BitTorrenting at Max rates, you won't see a video or voice performance hit from any Internet-based traffic. Torrents are one of several special cases, becasue they tend to exhaust resources (other than bandwidth - NAT, frowarding, sessions ,,,).

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: CAT5 -vs- Coax?

2 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 8:34:53 AM
(0)
Master

chrisCT, saw your post over in the "audio drop outs, surround 5.1" thread too.

There are no cabling issues/changes that will solve the 5.1 audio drops you are experiencing. It's a U-verse problem that has been going on for 2 years.

About the only thing you can do is change the audio setting in the STB connected to your HDTV to stereo instead of surround (menu>options>audio/language options>digital audio output>stereo). Hopefully some day they will fix this problem but they sure don't seem to be in any hurry.

Typically the lip sync issues have to do with the broadcast.

Good luck.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

chrisCT, saw your post over in the "audio drop outs, surround 5.1" thread too.

There are no cabling issues/changes that will solve the 5.1 audio drops you are experiencing. It's a U-verse problem that has been going on for 2 years.

About the only thing you can do is change the audio setting in the STB connected to your HDTV to stereo instead of surround (menu>options>audio/language options>digital audio output>stereo). Hopefully some day they will fix this problem but they sure don't seem to be in any hurry.

Typically the lip sync issues have to do with the broadcast.

Good luck.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

3 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 8:50:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ok, thanks. I only suggested the cabling as a possible solution because several posts mentioned a new receiver as an option, specifically one post said the Onkyo 606 resolved (his/her) issue. My sister has had Uverse for about a year, connected directly to her receiver via HDMI (no optical cable present) and she hasn't ever mentioned the audio drop issue. Come to think of it, I think her receiver may too be an Onkyo.

Would changing the receiver setting to Pro Logic, but keeping the HDMI/Optical set up possibly resolve the issue?

Given that my HDMI runs to my TV and then optical to my receiver, I'm also curious to see if the TV also experiences the same problem, or if its just the A/V receiver.

Just thinking out loud here.

Ok, thanks. I only suggested the cabling as a possible solution because several posts mentioned a new receiver as an option, specifically one post said the Onkyo 606 resolved (his/her) issue. My sister has had Uverse for about a year, connected directly to her receiver via HDMI (no optical cable present) and she hasn't ever mentioned the audio drop issue. Come to think of it, I think her receiver may too be an Onkyo.

Would changing the receiver setting to Pro Logic, but keeping the HDMI/Optical set up possibly resolve the issue?

Given that my HDMI runs to my TV and then optical to my receiver, I'm also curious to see if the TV also experiences the same problem, or if its just the A/V receiver.

Just thinking out loud here.

4 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 10:45:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, you have to use the red/white RCA stero cables as ScottMac already posted above, the optical link will still dropout unless you try an Onkyo receiver/amp like your sister's (or ATT fixes it, yeah). :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

No, you have to use the red/white RCA stero cables as ScottMac already posted above, the optical link will still dropout unless you try an Onkyo receiver/amp like your sister's (or ATT fixes it, yeah). :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 10:49:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

So are you saying that the ONLY receivers that work are Onkyo?

For now, I don't really mind "downgrading" to RCA because I don't really watch a lot of TV where the true 5.1 surround sound is all that critical to me. Now, if my PS3 or my dvd player pulled this on me, I'd probably feel completely different.

My biggest issue is getting to the back of my receiver to connect the rca wires. Now THAT I'm not looking forward to...

For now, I don't really mind "downgrading" to RCA because I don't really watch a lot of TV where the true 5.1 surround sound is all that critical to me. Now, if my PS3 or my dvd player pulled this on me, I'd probably feel completely different.

My biggest issue is getting to the back of my receiver to connect the rca wires. Now THAT I'm not looking forward to...

6 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 10:50:04 AM
(0)
Master

Just to try and answer the last part of your post.

I have the same connection; HDMI from STB to TV and optical from STB to my Sony receiver. If the STB audio is set to 'surround' the 5.1 drops comes right through my Sony HDTV speakers via HDMI. It's a no win situation.

Uniblurb3

Just to try and answer the last part of your post.

I have the same connection; HDMI from STB to TV and optical from STB to my Sony receiver. If the STB audio is set to 'surround' the 5.1 drops comes right through my Sony HDTV speakers via HDMI. It's a no win situation.

Uniblurb3

7 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 10:56:59 AM
(0)
Mentor
I have the same connections but to an Insignia and do not get any audio drops.

8 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 10:57:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks Uniblurb for answering that.

Thanks Uniblurb for answering that.

9 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 11:04:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

chrisCT wrote:

We don't know which receivers work as no one has asked that as a thread to post which are working.  Then you have to remember that they are working in their setup; which is not your setup, will that make a difference?  Unknown, also it's unknown why some work and many have audio drops. 

Only posted the Onkyo as you posted you think your sister has an Onkyo and no audio dropouts.  I'd say check back in Equipment periodically to see if the dropouts have been fixed and you can hook up your optical again. :smileywink:

Chris

chrisCT wrote:

We don't know which receivers work as no one has asked that as a thread to post which are working.  Then you have to remember that they are working in their setup; which is not your setup, will that make a difference?  Unknown, also it's unknown why some work and many have audio drops. 

Only posted the Onkyo as you posted you think your sister has an Onkyo and no audio dropouts.  I'd say check back in Equipment periodically to see if the dropouts have been fixed and you can hook up your optical again. :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 17 (4,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 11:13:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

mibrnsurg wrote:

chrisCT wrote:

Chris

Thanks Chris!

mibrnsurg wrote:

chrisCT wrote:

Chris

Thanks Chris!

11 of 17 (4,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 5:52:03 AM
(0)
Master

tlc4texas wrote:

Interesting Tony. I also have fairly new Insignia LCD's (32" & 22") and they are both connected to the STB's by HDMI. I've never had a reason to have these STB's set to surround since no sound systems in those rooms. I'll give them a try with the surround setting to see if the drops come through.

My Sony 60" (KDS-60A3000) seems particularly sensitive to any type of audio drops. In addition to the very noticeable drops with 5.1 through the set speakers I was also experiencing some drops through stereo for a while. Some change/update stopped these drops with the stereo setting.

PS. You're welcome Connecticut Chris. :smileyhappy:

Uniblurb3

tlc4texas wrote:

Interesting Tony. I also have fairly new Insignia LCD's (32" & 22") and they are both connected to the STB's by HDMI. I've never had a reason to have these STB's set to surround since no sound systems in those rooms. I'll give them a try with the surround setting to see if the drops come through.

My Sony 60" (KDS-60A3000) seems particularly sensitive to any type of audio drops. In addition to the very noticeable drops with 5.1 through the set speakers I was also experiencing some drops through stereo for a while. Some change/update stopped these drops with the stereo setting.

Uniblurb3

12 of 17 (4,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 8:38:55 AM
(0)
Employee

Uniblurb3 wrote:

tlc4texas wrote:

It is not just "transmission via TosLink Optical or HDMI;" the issue is related to AC3 / Dobly Digital (which, from U-Verse can only be optical or HDMI). IF your TV is actually decoding DD, then you'd get it.

My understanding is that it affects *ANY* device ... TV, AVR, computer, {whatever} that is getting and decoding Dolby Digital ... the issue is specifically the DD stream, not audio via optical or HDMI. And since it originates from within the U-Verse transmission infrastructure, it will happen with any device, from any manufacturer, that's decoding the DD stream.

With IPTV, thre are several streams that make up the complete delivered product. There is a video stream, a standard audio / stereo stream (which may also be encoded with Dolby Pro-Logic), a DD stream, probably a secondary audio stream (different language, alternate audio like BBC), and a control stream. The constitution of the aqggregate stream may also vary by application, channel (i.e., as supplied by the provider), and intermediate infrastructure.

Uniblurb3 wrote:

tlc4texas wrote:

It is not just "transmission via TosLink Optical or HDMI;" the issue is related to AC3 / Dobly Digital (which, from U-Verse can only be optical or HDMI). IF your TV is actually decoding DD, then you'd get it.

My understanding is that it affects *ANY* device ... TV, AVR, computer, {whatever} that is getting and decoding Dolby Digital ... the issue is specifically the DD stream, not audio via optical or HDMI. And since it originates from within the U-Verse transmission infrastructure, it will happen with any device, from any manufacturer, that's decoding the DD stream.

With IPTV, thre are several streams that make up the complete delivered product. There is a video stream, a standard audio / stereo stream (which may also be encoded with Dolby Pro-Logic), a DD stream, probably a secondary audio stream (different language, alternate audio like BBC), and a control stream. The constitution of the aqggregate stream may also vary by application, channel (i.e., as supplied by the provider), and intermediate infrastructure.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

13 of 17 (4,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 8:55:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

ScottMac wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

tlc4texas wrote:

So by way of an update, last night I turned on the TV and noticed no audio drops. I then remembered that I had reset the STB and run through the diagnostics on it during my tech support call, so i checked the settings and sure enough, the audio was set back to Stereo. I set it back to Surround and watched for a little bit, with no drops at all. I tried a couple of different channels, and it worked ok.

I didn't watch for very long though, so its certainly possible that the drops will come back.

ScottMac wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

tlc4texas wrote:

So by way of an update, last night I turned on the TV and noticed no audio drops. I then remembered that I had reset the STB and run through the diagnostics on it during my tech support call, so i checked the settings and sure enough, the audio was set back to Stereo. I set it back to Surround and watched for a little bit, with no drops at all. I tried a couple of different channels, and it worked ok.

I didn't watch for very long though, so its certainly possible that the drops will come back.

14 of 17 (4,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 9:35:06 AM
(0)
Teacher

I lied :smileymad:

They're back!!

Oh, where did the other thread on this issue go?

I lied :smileymad:

They're back!!

Oh, where did the other thread on this issue go?

15 of 17 (4,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 10:17:00 AM
(0)
Master

ChrisCT, you mustn't haven't been watching programming that was broadcast in DD 5.1 when you didn't notice the audio drops.

Would assume you are referring to this thread and deesmac does a good job in summing up the 5.1 audio drop situation.

ScottMac wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

tlc4texas wrote:

Thanks for the info ScottMac. I knew the 5.1 DD audio drops were not caused by the cabling transmission and they originate from the U-verse signal/equipment itself.

Evidently my Sony TV is trying to decode the DD 5.1 audio signal, when the STB is set to surround, since I'm hearing these drops through the speakers.

After reading the highlighted text now I'm beginning to wonder if I was hearing audio drops through stereo since my TV was trying to decode a possibly flawed "Dolby Pro-Logic" signal? I haven't really heard of other users having this same problem but now I'm not sure the drops are gone. In watching TV last night I noticed audio drops at about 2-3 an hour. This is when the STB is set to stereo. Maybe these are just audio drops that are being broadcast by the program/network. Not sure.

Uniblurb3

ChrisCT, you mustn't haven't been watching programming that was broadcast in DD 5.1 when you didn't notice the audio drops.

Would assume you are referring to this thread and deesmac does a good job in summing up the 5.1 audio drop situation.

ScottMac wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

tlc4texas wrote:

Thanks for the info ScottMac. I knew the 5.1 DD audio drops were not caused by the cabling transmission and they originate from the U-verse signal/equipment itself.

Evidently my Sony TV is trying to decode the DD 5.1 audio signal, when the STB is set to surround, since I'm hearing these drops through the speakers.

After reading the highlighted text now I'm beginning to wonder if I was hearing audio drops through stereo since my TV was trying to decode a possibly flawed "Dolby Pro-Logic" signal? I haven't really heard of other users having this same problem but now I'm not sure the drops are gone. In watching TV last night I noticed audio drops at about 2-3 an hour. This is when the STB is set to stereo. Maybe these are just audio drops that are being broadcast by the program/network. Not sure.

Uniblurb3

16 of 17 (4,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 12:21:46 PM
(0)
Employee

Uniblurb3 wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

tlc4texas wrote:

It is my understanding that Dolby ProLogic is not a problem, only Dolby DIgital (delivered via HDMI or Optical / TosLink). Audio delivered through teh red/white jacks should be clean & good (it just isn't Dolby DIgital).

Please keep in mind that (sometimes) drops can originate from the provider, sometimes the receiver (TV, AVR< computer interface) hardware loses sync / has bugs.

If you have both or all three cables connected (HDMI, Optical, and stereo(red/white)) that the receiver can confuse itself, or may be defaulting to the more advanced interface, regardless of the setting. If you're gettting drops, and you're pretty sure it's coming from the U-Verse, please verify that you only have the stereo connections hooked up.

Uniblurb3 wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

tlc4texas wrote:

It is my understanding that Dolby ProLogic is not a problem, only Dolby DIgital (delivered via HDMI or Optical / TosLink). Audio delivered through teh red/white jacks should be clean & good (it just isn't Dolby DIgital).

Please keep in mind that (sometimes) drops can originate from the provider, sometimes the receiver (TV, AVR< computer interface) hardware loses sync / has bugs.

If you have both or all three cables connected (HDMI, Optical, and stereo(red/white)) that the receiver can confuse itself, or may be defaulting to the more advanced interface, regardless of the setting. If you're gettting drops, and you're pretty sure it's coming from the U-Verse, please verify that you only have the stereo connections hooked up.

Sent from my phone.

17 of 17 (4,127 Views)