Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 12, 2011
11:20:30 AM
View profile
Black Remote Power Button

As it's set up now, when I press the power button both the TV and the U-verse DVR power up/down.  Is there a way to program the remote so that pressing the power button only turns on/off the TV?  I'm asking because I have a TV in my kitchen that is connected to my TV in the living room through an HDMI splitter.  I use a Harmony One remote in my living room and want to use my U-verse remote for when I'm in the kitchen.  The problem is my dad will be watching TV in the living room and i'll goto the kitchen and turn the TV on and it's also turning the DVR off in the living room.  I'd like to just take the power function out of the remote (for the DVR) and turn the set-top box off with the power button on the STB itself.

Thanks!

As it's set up now, when I press the power button both the TV and the U-verse DVR power up/down.  Is there a way to program the remote so that pressing the power button only turns on/off the TV?  I'm asking because I have a TV in my kitchen that is connected to my TV in the living room through an HDMI splitter.  I use a Harmony One remote in my living room and want to use my U-verse remote for when I'm in the kitchen.  The problem is my dad will be watching TV in the living room and i'll goto the kitchen and turn the TV on and it's also turning the DVR off in the living room.  I'd like to just take the power function out of the remote (for the DVR) and turn the set-top box off with the power button on the STB itself.

Thanks!

Black Remote Power Button

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2011 1:11:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You have many options -

I believe you can leave the remote programmed as is and just press the TV button first. It will not pwr off the STB.

For the point anywhwere remote, which I believe is the same as the black remoteit says the code is 977

press att/ok together all mode keys flash 977 press enter att button gives long flash and beep.

Still need to press TV button to power off TV. Just prevents problem if you forget.

You don't want to use the TV remote for the kitchen TV?

You could try a paper towel tube coming out from the IR sensor on the living room STB to narrow the view of the remote so it cannot see the IR coming from the kitchen. MIght even make the remote work better in normal use.

I can not figure out your arrangement - is the kitchen TV connected to the living room (how do you watch 2 chans?) Or, another STB somewhere. Do not understand why you would need to turn off the STB with the button on the box.

You have many options -

I believe you can leave the remote programmed as is and just press the TV button first. It will not pwr off the STB.

For the point anywhwere remote, which I believe is the same as the black remoteit says the code is 977

press att/ok together all mode keys flash 977 press enter att button gives long flash and beep.

Still need to press TV button to power off TV. Just prevents problem if you forget.

You don't want to use the TV remote for the kitchen TV?

You could try a paper towel tube coming out from the IR sensor on the living room STB to narrow the view of the remote so it cannot see the IR coming from the kitchen. MIght even make the remote work better in normal use.

I can not figure out your arrangement - is the kitchen TV connected to the living room (how do you watch 2 chans?) Or, another STB somewhere. Do not understand why you would need to turn off the STB with the button on the box.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Black Remote Power Button

2 of 6 (352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2011 1:42:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Wingless,

Your last message was blank.Are you using Internet Explorer? There is a problem with a new release. Search the forum for details or use Firefox or Google chrome.

Wingless,

Your last message was blank.Are you using Internet Explorer? There is a problem with a new release. Search the forum for details or use Firefox or Google chrome.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2011 3:59:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Pressing the tv button will only turn off the television.  The stb will stay on.

Pressing the tv button will only turn off the television.  The stb will stay on.

4 of 6 (329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2011 7:53:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yes I was using IE9.  What I was saying is I just told them to suck it up and push the TV button first then power.  However I do not have much hope that my mom will ever be able to comprehend that.  She is perhaps the most technologically impaired human in history.  I just left the original tv remote on the table next to the u-verse remote.  She can use it to turn the tv off.

Yes I was using IE9.  What I was saying is I just told them to suck it up and push the TV button first then power.  However I do not have much hope that my mom will ever be able to comprehend that.  She is perhaps the most technologically impaired human in history.  I just left the original tv remote on the table next to the u-verse remote.  She can use it to turn the tv off.

5 of 6 (303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2011 10:13:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That is probably your best solution.

That is probably your best solution.

6 of 6 (294 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments