Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 22, 2010
2:19:46 PM
View profile
Big Button Remote Control Needed for Visually Impaired

Hello, I have tried several universal big button remote controls for the visually impaired. Unfortunately, none of them seem to be able to program with Uverse. It disturbs me that no one at Uverse seems to be able to address this issue, nor appears sensitive to essentially depriving service to visually impaired. 

Does anyone know a big button remote control that works with Uverse? Including the programming code?

If not, does anyone know the best person to write to at AT&T/Uverse to complain about this problem. I like much about Uverse, but I am likely to leave the service if we can not achieve an accessible option. I am sure there are many others impacted by this. Hopefully there is an existing solution out there. Otherwise, I know these remotes work with most any other satellite or cable provider.

Thanks for any advice,

David

California

Hello, I have tried several universal big button remote controls for the visually impaired. Unfortunately, none of them seem to be able to program with Uverse. It disturbs me that no one at Uverse seems to be able to address this issue, nor appears sensitive to essentially depriving service to visually impaired. 

Does anyone know a big button remote control that works with Uverse? Including the programming code?

If not, does anyone know the best person to write to at AT&T/Uverse to complain about this problem. I like much about Uverse, but I am likely to leave the service if we can not achieve an accessible option. I am sure there are many others impacted by this. Hopefully there is an existing solution out there. Otherwise, I know these remotes work with most any other satellite or cable provider.

Thanks for any advice,

David

California

Big Button Remote Control Needed for Visually Impaired

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 2:23:17 PM
(0)
Expert

Take a look at this thread, and one mentioned HERE that sounds like it works?

Take a look at this thread, and one mentioned HERE that sounds like it works?

Re: Big Button Remote Control Needed for Visually Impaired

2 of 7 (2,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 2:29:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

The problem is there is nothing in that post that says that remote actually works and Uverse is not listed in the STB supported brands PDF on the flipper website. It just says that they never heard back from the person looking for a solution. Many of us eventually give up. There is a money back guarantee, but it will be my FIFTH big button remote attempted, and it's not actually as big a buttons as I would like if I am reading the size correctly. The big button remotes are REALLY big. They are perfect for visually impaired like my Grandma, who is an avid watcher of a variety of programs from Charlie Rose to CNN to Jeopardy to local news. 

I would love to hear from someone who successfully used a third party big remote, and exactly how the setup worked [codes or manual programming or whatever]. 

Thanks again,

David

The problem is there is nothing in that post that says that remote actually works and Uverse is not listed in the STB supported brands PDF on the flipper website. It just says that they never heard back from the person looking for a solution. Many of us eventually give up. There is a money back guarantee, but it will be my FIFTH big button remote attempted, and it's not actually as big a buttons as I would like if I am reading the size correctly. The big button remotes are REALLY big. They are perfect for visually impaired like my Grandma, who is an avid watcher of a variety of programs from Charlie Rose to CNN to Jeopardy to local news. 

I would love to hear from someone who successfully used a third party big remote, and exactly how the setup worked [codes or manual programming or whatever]. 

Thanks again,

David

3 of 7 (2,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 9:20:48 PM
(0)
Expert

Maybe it was this one HERE, or have you tried it already?

I tried contacting Tek Partners about it via their site, but kept getting an error. Smiley Sad

If you haven't tried either of those, maybe give them a call?

Maybe it was this one HERE, or have you tried it already?

I tried contacting Tek Partners about it via their site, but kept getting an error. Smiley Sad

If you haven't tried either of those, maybe give them a call?

4 of 7 (2,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2010 4:47:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Flipper works the ATT.  Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta, so the codes are listed there.  But as I wrote before, the code I used is 692 for the UVerse.  Flipper either works with favorites, or with the full channel selection.  It also gets great reviews on Amazon, which is where I bought it.

Flipper works the ATT.  Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta, so the codes are listed there.  But as I wrote before, the code I used is 692 for the UVerse.  Flipper either works with favorites, or with the full channel selection.  It also gets great reviews on Amazon, which is where I bought it.

5 of 7 (2,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2010 5:34:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have bought two of the TEK ones and neither of those seem to work. I was on the phone with Uverse tech support and TEK. They told me the manual way of searching, but neither worked. 

Thanks for your efforts. I think there was one other that a Uverse tech recommended, that I saw on Amazon and there was a positive reference of working with Uverse, but I am understandably pessimistic, and I have not found the review in question. If there was a likely functional one, I would order and try it. 

Thanks,

David

I have bought two of the TEK ones and neither of those seem to work. I was on the phone with Uverse tech support and TEK. They told me the manual way of searching, but neither worked. 

Thanks for your efforts. I think there was one other that a Uverse tech recommended, that I saw on Amazon and there was a positive reference of working with Uverse, but I am understandably pessimistic, and I have not found the review in question. If there was a likely functional one, I would order and try it. 

Thanks,

David

6 of 7 (2,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2010 2:53:23 AM
(0)
Expert

Let us know if you find one that works, since this has come up before.

Let us know if you find one that works, since this has come up before.

7 of 7 (2,128 Views)