Bandwidth / Router Issue

Contributor

Bandwidth / Router Issue

I have a problem with my Uverse Internet Service. I have the 24 Mbps service as well. My problem is what whenever i do heavy streaming or downloading on my computer, i cannot surf the web on another computer or the same computer. I know it is not because i am using all available bandwidth. It seems to happen when im using 900kbps or more of my available bandwidth. Its very frustrating that i have an internet package that is supposed to give me 2+mbps of ACTUAL throughput and i only use half of it and it prevents me from basic websurfing while downloading a game. Does anyone have a solution for this? I am using a wired connection to the Uverse gateway.

here is an example of what i am talking about:

Computer 1: Downloading a game at 1000kbps (should have 2000kbps of available bandwidth)

While

Computer 1: Loading a webpage = page cannot be displayed

Message 1 of 7 (360 Views)

Re: Bandwidth / Router Issue

Your logic is off, but you should be able to download and surf at the same time.  I only have the 18Mbps speed and I've had multiple downloads going while surfing. I would either a) reset the RG or b) contact technical support.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 2 of 7 (351 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

I have 3 devices using the internet while the wife surfs on the iPad I am on the MBP surfing and what ever and the PC might

be on downloading or updating something I will get close to my rated speed with exception but I am able to use all 3 at the same time ( wireless) so yes I would think you have a problem. Is this using only the RG or with a third party router?

Message 3 of 7 (322 Views)
Contributor

No i am not using a third party router. Would a separate router help? It seems like a gateway issue.

Message 4 of 7 (310 Views)

No, a separate router probably wouldn't help you in your situation.  If you are getting that type of issue plugged directly into the RG, then adding another component wouldn't help.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 7 (301 Views)
Contributor

That is my thought as well. Any other ideas? Ive been waiting for tier 2 tech support to call me back for a week.

Message 6 of 7 (296 Views)
Highlighted

You'll be waiting a lot longer if you are expecting them to call you back. I'd call support and request to be transferred to Tier 2, the tier 1 agent that you get will then transfer you.

Message 7 of 7 (277 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.