Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 8, 2010
8:06:53 AM
View profile
BSOD? Nope BSoLTV!

Saw an oddity last night!  A real stumper!  I had a Black Screen of Live TV!  But it gets better (or worse, depending on how you look at it).  I got home at 7:55 PM last night.  My wife said that channel 13 (WTHR 13, our local NBC affiliate) wasn't coming in, it was just a Black Screen.  She was a bit upset as she was recording Munute to Win It at 8 and America's Got Talent at 9.   By now it was just after 8 and I verified that 13 was a black screen but it had the recording icon on screen with the channel /program info.  I was able to tune 1013 just fine, so I reset the recordings there.  On a whim, I tried to play the original Minute to Win It recording on 13.  It played!  What?  The live TV of 13 was totally black but the recording played fine.  What?!  Any comments on this oddity?!

Saw an oddity last night!  A real stumper!  I had a Black Screen of Live TV!  But it gets better (or worse, depending on how you look at it).  I got home at 7:55 PM last night.  My wife said that channel 13 (WTHR 13, our local NBC affiliate) wasn't coming in, it was just a Black Screen.  She was a bit upset as she was recording Munute to Win It at 8 and America's Got Talent at 9.   By now it was just after 8 and I verified that 13 was a black screen but it had the recording icon on screen with the channel /program info.  I was able to tune 1013 just fine, so I reset the recordings there.  On a whim, I tried to play the original Minute to Win It recording on 13.  It played!  What?  The live TV of 13 was totally black but the recording played fine.  What?!  Any comments on this oddity?!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

BSOD? Nope BSoLTV!

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 8:09:32 AM
(0)
Expert

I've seen it, but never tried to record it.

Always thought the station had lost their feed (happens here on local HD channels for news).  Go to the SD counterpart, everything is fine, back to the HD one, black screen.

BSoLTV, LOL!

I've seen it, but never tried to record it.

Always thought the station had lost their feed (happens here on local HD channels for news).  Go to the SD counterpart, everything is fine, back to the HD one, black screen.

BSoLTV, LOL!

Re: BSOD? Nope BSoLTV!

2 of 13 (1,023 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 8:20:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I was going to add by 11 PM 13 was able to be watched live again.  I did nothing to make that happen, no rebooting or similar.  I also should say that I did not check any other TV's. 

You and I think alike - my original thought that U-Verse must get 13.1, the SD DTV channel and 13's HD feed separate and they were having trouble with the SD.  The fact that 13 was able to be recorded, debunked that.

I was going to add by 11 PM 13 was able to be watched live again.  I did nothing to make that happen, no rebooting or similar.  I also should say that I did not check any other TV's. 

You and I think alike - my original thought that U-Verse must get 13.1, the SD DTV channel and 13's HD feed separate and they were having trouble with the SD.  The fact that 13 was able to be recorded, debunked that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 13 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 8:17:37 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've had the BSOD a few times on live TV.  I am not unconvinced it is unrelated to the black PIP bug I reported last year (which, incidentally, was acknowledged by AT&T who said it would be fixed, and a year later never was).  At any rate my most recent occurrence was with the US Open Tennis which I record for later viewing.  Each time I've had the BSOD on live TV I was also recoding the station I was attempting to view.  And each time I've found that (a) you could view the live station on the non-dvr TV and (b) you could view the live station on the dvr TV some time after the recording completes.  Even though I couldn't view the live show while recording the completed recording was ok.

The reason I say I think it was related to my black PIP bug was because in the (most recent) US Open case, I saw the BSOD on the live US Open when the black PIP occurred.  I've also reported this to AT&T tier 2 TS.  They documented it (and my black PIP bug again), created a ticket, etc. I expect this to get all the attention my black PIP bug got.

Note, while my black PIP bug is 100% reproducible, I can't say that for the live TV BSOD.  I really haven't tried to explicitly reproduce it to document the needed steps so I don't know if it truly is 100% reproducible. That means it may not be related to my black PIP bug.  Also, why bother wasting my time?  AT&T will ignore it anyhow like they did with my black PIP bug.  I've just learned to live with the dvr's "quirks".

I've had the BSOD a few times on live TV.  I am not unconvinced it is unrelated to the black PIP bug I reported last year (which, incidentally, was acknowledged by AT&T who said it would be fixed, and a year later never was).  At any rate my most recent occurrence was with the US Open Tennis which I record for later viewing.  Each time I've had the BSOD on live TV I was also recoding the station I was attempting to view.  And each time I've found that (a) you could view the live station on the non-dvr TV and (b) you could view the live station on the dvr TV some time after the recording completes.  Even though I couldn't view the live show while recording the completed recording was ok.

The reason I say I think it was related to my black PIP bug was because in the (most recent) US Open case, I saw the BSOD on the live US Open when the black PIP occurred.  I've also reported this to AT&T tier 2 TS.  They documented it (and my black PIP bug again), created a ticket, etc. I expect this to get all the attention my black PIP bug got.

Note, while my black PIP bug is 100% reproducible, I can't say that for the live TV BSOD.  I really haven't tried to explicitly reproduce it to document the needed steps so I don't know if it truly is 100% reproducible. That means it may not be related to my black PIP bug.  Also, why bother wasting my time?  AT&T will ignore it anyhow like they did with my black PIP bug.  I've just learned to live with the dvr's "quirks".

4 of 13 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 8:41:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

:smileysurprised:

:smileysurprised:

5 of 13 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 7:49:39 AM
(0)
Guru

I am a big fan of late night talk shows (specifically The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon), I usually watch them on the STB so I have to record to the the typical DVR functions (Phase 3 can't come soon enough)

Anyway, usually after I'm done watching Jimmy Fallon, I tend to watch the live NBC feed for the rest of the night before going to bed, and I have noticed that many times after viewing a recording, will lose the local WCMHHD feed on 1004 (local NBC affiliate) and get the black screen, but every other channel shows up fine, I have noticed that when I go back to 1004, I get a frozen image of the last viewed channel, is this the problem you are referring to?

I have seen the same thing happen with other channels sometime, so it seems to be a glitch with the IPTV stream as far as I am aware

@dhascall-BTW, you said that your wife was watching channel 13 and that it wasn't working, yet channel 1013 was working, being that you are subscribed to HD channels, and assuming that is being viewed on an HDTV (you didn't say wether the given TV was HD or SD), why wouldn't she watch it on 1013 to begin with?

I am a big fan of late night talk shows (specifically The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon), I usually watch them on the STB so I have to record to the the typical DVR functions (Phase 3 can't come soon enough)

Anyway, usually after I'm done watching Jimmy Fallon, I tend to watch the live NBC feed for the rest of the night before going to bed, and I have noticed that many times after viewing a recording, will lose the local WCMHHD feed on 1004 (local NBC affiliate) and get the black screen, but every other channel shows up fine, I have noticed that when I go back to 1004, I get a frozen image of the last viewed channel, is this the problem you are referring to?

I have seen the same thing happen with other channels sometime, so it seems to be a glitch with the IPTV stream as far as I am aware

@dhascall-BTW, you said that your wife was watching channel 13 and that it wasn't working, yet channel 1013 was working, being that you are subscribed to HD channels, and assuming that is being viewed on an HDTV (you didn't say wether the given TV was HD or SD), why wouldn't she watch it on 1013 to begin with?

6 of 13 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 6:00:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mikedamirault wrote:

Old habits die hard, Mike.  I'm sure that 90% of the men have had this same discussion with their Spouse / Significant Other.  A friend bought a 50" LED TV and was watching the NCAA Final Four games, this past spring.  My question to them?  "Why are you watching this on channel 8, standard and not 8 HD?"  :smileysurprised:  An eye roll smiley would better fit the bill.

Back to the thread's topic - sounds like an NBC or NBC affiliates issue.  See this new thread: http://utalk.att.com/t5/TV-Programming/Local-NBC-blank-on-DVR-but-works-on-STB/td-p/264254

mikedamirault wrote:

Old habits die hard, Mike.  I'm sure that 90% of the men have had this same discussion with their Spouse / Significant Other.  A friend bought a 50" LED TV and was watching the NCAA Final Four games, this past spring.  My question to them?  "Why are you watching this on channel 8, standard and not 8 HD?"  :smileysurprised:  An eye roll smiley would better fit the bill.

Back to the thread's topic - sounds like an NBC or NBC affiliates issue.  See this new thread: http://utalk.att.com/t5/TV-Programming/Local-NBC-blank-on-DVR-but-works-on-STB/td-p/264254

7 of 13 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 6:50:10 AM
(0)
Expert

rolleyes.gif  Here ya go...

rolleyes.gif  Here ya go...

8 of 13 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 9:15:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Testing 2532iD090E174504CB1E9  Got it saved, Thanks!

Testing 2532iD090E174504CB1E9  Got it saved, Thanks!

9 of 13 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 10:57:52 AM
(0)
Expert

Awaiting approval, but you know that?

Awaiting approval, but you know that?

10 of 13 (1,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 1:05:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No - it is there for me :smileytongue:.  How else can you add it besides clicking on "Insert / Edit Image?"

No - it is there for me :smileytongue:.  How else can you add it besides clicking on "Insert / Edit Image?"

11 of 13 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 4:39:09 PM
(0)
Expert

It wasn't there for me when you 1st posted, gremlins?  No other way that I know of--enjoy it. shocked.gif

It wasn't there for me when you 1st posted, gremlins?  No other way that I know of--enjoy it. shocked.gif

12 of 13 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 6:01:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It seems like ATT is trying to solve one issue and creating others.  Or there are resets that are taking place after they make changes in the system.  Just a thought.

It seems like ATT is trying to solve one issue and creating others.  Or there are resets that are taking place after they make changes in the system.  Just a thought.

13 of 13 (649 Views)