Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 12, 2010
11:11:36 AM
View profile
Anyone notice lower volume with 5.1 audio?

Recently both my wife and I have noticed that 5.1 audio seems quieter than after the somewhat recent 5.1 distortion/volume issues were resolved.  We are having to run the AV receiver volume much higher when watching a channel with 5.1 audio.  It seems like the stereo channels are more or less normal while the 5.1 content is significantly quieter.  Is anyone else noticing this?  Given the issues in getting AT&T to even acknowledge the prior 5.1 distortion issue, I can't imagine getting much traction complaining about the lower volume.

Recently both my wife and I have noticed that 5.1 audio seems quieter than after the somewhat recent 5.1 distortion/volume issues were resolved.  We are having to run the AV receiver volume much higher when watching a channel with 5.1 audio.  It seems like the stereo channels are more or less normal while the 5.1 content is significantly quieter.  Is anyone else noticing this?  Given the issues in getting AT&T to even acknowledge the prior 5.1 distortion issue, I can't imagine getting much traction complaining about the lower volume.

Anyone notice lower volume with 5.1 audio?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2010 12:01:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

Everything seemed OK last night.  Won't know about today until after I get home.  My problem for the last month or two has been the opposite.  HD channels are at least 6 to 9 dBs louder than SD.  I'm beginning to think "we" will never get the audio fixed.

Everything seemed OK last night.  Won't know about today until after I get home.  My problem for the last month or two has been the opposite.  HD channels are at least 6 to 9 dBs louder than SD.  I'm beginning to think "we" will never get the audio fixed.

Re: Anyone notice lower volume with 5.1 audio?

2 of 4 (352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 7:36:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've noticed this specifically with 5.1.  Stereo on HD channels is fine, just the 5.1 content seems significantly quieter than anything in stereo.  Since my receiver shows volume level settings numerically, I can see that it takes a notably higher volume level on the receiver than it did before.  Average listening level in stereo might be -27 to -25db while 5.1 content might require -21 to-18.

When the original 5.1 issue related to the digital+ upgrade was resolved, I would notice some variance across 5.1 channels, but now I notice that all 5.1 audio seems quiet. 

I've noticed this specifically with 5.1.  Stereo on HD channels is fine, just the 5.1 content seems significantly quieter than anything in stereo.  Since my receiver shows volume level settings numerically, I can see that it takes a notably higher volume level on the receiver than it did before.  Average listening level in stereo might be -27 to -25db while 5.1 content might require -21 to-18.

When the original 5.1 issue related to the digital+ upgrade was resolved, I would notice some variance across 5.1 channels, but now I notice that all 5.1 audio seems quiet. 

3 of 4 (352 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2010 10:09:20 AM
(0)
Scholar

Wish I could help you Banzai.  I checked last night and my system is behaving in the same manner as it has the last few months.  Like I said, I really do wonder if all the various audio issues will EVER be worked out!  Good luck.

Wish I could help you Banzai.  I checked last night and my system is behaving in the same manner as it has the last few months.  Like I said, I really do wonder if all the various audio issues will EVER be worked out!  Good luck.

4 of 4 (352 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments