Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 28, 2008
12:23:42 PM
View profile
Any way to order U-Verse BEFORE cancelling existing DSL?

U-Verse has been available in my neighborhood (Anaheim, CA) for a while now, and after a few days pulling Cat6 through the house, I'm ready to make the switch.  (Faster Internet *and* Cable TV -- woohoo!)

Problem is, I currently get DSL from a non-AT&T third party.  Because of this, my online order wouldn't go through; I called the number provided, and after talking to six (!) people and two robots, I finally reached someone who told me that I had to cancel my existing DSL before I could order U-Verse.  She was extremely vague as to how long it would take news of the cancellation to reach their system, and how long after *that* it would take to get someone to my house to do the U-Verse install.

Is there anyone out there who's been able to order their UV, get an install date, and *then* cancel their DSL?  If so, how?  Is there a particular number to call that's staffed by with-it people?  I'd love to get UV, but as a programmer who works 100% from home, I can't sit around in limbo for a week or two while AT&T gets their act together.  I've got a Verizon EVDO card, but that's not going to cut it for days on end.  Any pointers would be appreciated ...

U-Verse has been available in my neighborhood (Anaheim, CA) for a while now, and after a few days pulling Cat6 through the house, I'm ready to make the switch.  (Faster Internet *and* Cable TV -- woohoo!)

Problem is, I currently get DSL from a non-AT&T third party.  Because of this, my online order wouldn't go through; I called the number provided, and after talking to six (!) people and two robots, I finally reached someone who told me that I had to cancel my existing DSL before I could order U-Verse.  She was extremely vague as to how long it would take news of the cancellation to reach their system, and how long after *that* it would take to get someone to my house to do the U-Verse install.

Is there anyone out there who's been able to order their UV, get an install date, and *then* cancel their DSL?  If so, how?  Is there a particular number to call that's staffed by with-it people?  I'd love to get UV, but as a programmer who works 100% from home, I can't sit around in limbo for a week or two while AT&T gets their act together.  I've got a Verizon EVDO card, but that's not going to cut it for days on end.  Any pointers would be appreciated ...

Any way to order U-Verse BEFORE cancelling existing DSL?

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2008 6:50:23 PM
(0)
Employee
The problem is your internet line belongs to the third party until you get them to  released it. You are not AT&Ts customer so AT&T can not take the line  on your say so. I know this does not answer your question but that is why you are not getting Uverse without jumping through hoops. You might try as an additional line.
The problem is your internet line belongs to the third party until you get them to  released it. You are not AT&Ts customer so AT&T can not take the line  on your say so. I know this does not answer your question but that is why you are not getting Uverse without jumping through hoops. You might try as an additional line.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Any way to order U-Verse BEFORE cancelling existing DSL?

2 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2008 11:42:37 AM
(0)
Tutor
Any update on this? I ran into the same problem. I cancelled with my ISP and they released the line on November 6th. It is now 11 days later and I still can't get AT&T to finish up their end. Even if I could get a response from AT&T, install dates for my area are into the end of December. Do they really expect you to go 2 months without internet service? I hate to say it but it's looking like I'm going to have to call up Time Warner.
Any update on this? I ran into the same problem. I cancelled with my ISP and they released the line on November 6th. It is now 11 days later and I still can't get AT&T to finish up their end. Even if I could get a response from AT&T, install dates for my area are into the end of December. Do they really expect you to go 2 months without internet service? I hate to say it but it's looking like I'm going to have to call up Time Warner.

3 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2008 6:47:24 PM
(0)
Mentor

I work from home too but fortunately for me I was coming from ATT DSL so I only had internet downtime of about 30 minutes  during the switch to Uverse.

If I had to be down days or even weeks then I would have been forced to stick with what I had and tell Uverse no thanks.

This extended issue of no internet service is an obvious nightmare for us who need it for our livelihood.  It shouldn't be like this.  C'mon it's the year 2008!!! 

I work from home too but fortunately for me I was coming from ATT DSL so I only had internet downtime of about 30 minutes  during the switch to Uverse.

If I had to be down days or even weeks then I would have been forced to stick with what I had and tell Uverse no thanks.

This extended issue of no internet service is an obvious nightmare for us who need it for our livelihood.  It shouldn't be like this.  C'mon it's the year 2008!!! 

4 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2008 6:54:38 PM
(0)
Guru

txcruiser wrote:

Well I hear you, believe me -- I work from home too.  But the general attitude of all the consumer providers is that this is a consumer service, not a business service.

When I had Comcast I had an outage that lasted several days, and Comcast didn't care a whit that I needed it to work.  ("Sir, perhaps you should order our business Internet service if it's that critical to you."  Me: "So are you saying that if this were business Internet that I'd be fixed by now?  Does that mean you're deliberately not fixing it because it's not business Internet?")

Of course, I know the realities of SLAs and all that, but they were downright rude about the whole thing.

txcruiser wrote:

Well I hear you, believe me -- I work from home too.  But the general attitude of all the consumer providers is that this is a consumer service, not a business service.

When I had Comcast I had an outage that lasted several days, and Comcast didn't care a whit that I needed it to work.  ("Sir, perhaps you should order our business Internet service if it's that critical to you."  Me: "So are you saying that if this were business Internet that I'd be fixed by now?  Does that mean you're deliberately not fixing it because it's not business Internet?")

Of course, I know the realities of SLAs and all that, but they were downright rude about the whole thing.

5 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2008 8:16:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am wondering why u-verse is available to everyone in my building except me. I can only think that because I was the only person who was an AT&T customer at the time that the service was introduced that they skipped over my address and made it only available to people who did not have AT&T at the time. It's just wonderful how companies woo their rivals customers and forget to take care of their own.

For the record, the salesperson filled out all the information, ran my credit and everything. All approved until they said they could not do it but the reason was unknown. I asked was it the credit or something, he said "no" because it was approved. He said it would be resolved in 2 days and the tech would be out. That was two weeks ago. I have called customer service for u-verse 7 times, and asked for a supervisor 5 times. I have also left call back information for the supervisor to call me back. No follow up yet!!! I have even used the chat function on the site and the represenative said he could not help and referred me to customer service. When I told him that I already spoke to customer service, he said I should call them again.

I am wondering why u-verse is available to everyone in my building except me. I can only think that because I was the only person who was an AT&T customer at the time that the service was introduced that they skipped over my address and made it only available to people who did not have AT&T at the time. It's just wonderful how companies woo their rivals customers and forget to take care of their own.

For the record, the salesperson filled out all the information, ran my credit and everything. All approved until they said they could not do it but the reason was unknown. I asked was it the credit or something, he said "no" because it was approved. He said it would be resolved in 2 days and the tech would be out. That was two weeks ago. I have called customer service for u-verse 7 times, and asked for a supervisor 5 times. I have also left call back information for the supervisor to call me back. No follow up yet!!! I have even used the chat function on the site and the represenative said he could not help and referred me to customer service. When I told him that I already spoke to customer service, he said I should call them again.

6 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2008 8:17:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am wondering why u-verse is available to everyone in my building except me. For the record, the salesperson filled out all the information, ran my credit and everything. All approved until they said they could not do it but the reason was unknown. I asked was it the credit or something, he said "no" because it was approved. He said it would be resolved in 2 days and the tech would be out. That was two weeks ago. I have called customer service for u-verse 7 times, and asked for a supervisor 5 times. I have also left call back information for the supervisor to call me back. No follow up yet!!! I have even used the chat function on the site and the represenative said he could not help and referred me to customer service. When I told him that I already spoke to customer service, he said I should call them again.I can only think that because I was the only person who was an AT&T customer at the time that the service was introduced that they skipped over my address and made it only available to people who did not have AT&T at the time. It's just wonderful how companies woo their rivals customers and forget to take care of their own.

I am wondering why u-verse is available to everyone in my building except me. For the record, the salesperson filled out all the information, ran my credit and everything. All approved until they said they could not do it but the reason was unknown. I asked was it the credit or something, he said "no" because it was approved. He said it would be resolved in 2 days and the tech would be out. That was two weeks ago. I have called customer service for u-verse 7 times, and asked for a supervisor 5 times. I have also left call back information for the supervisor to call me back. No follow up yet!!! I have even used the chat function on the site and the represenative said he could not help and referred me to customer service. When I told him that I already spoke to customer service, he said I should call them again.I can only think that because I was the only person who was an AT&T customer at the time that the service was introduced that they skipped over my address and made it only available to people who did not have AT&T at the time. It's just wonderful how companies woo their rivals customers and forget to take care of their own.

7 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2008 8:18:09 PM
(0)
Professor
I switched from DSL to UV and I canelled my DSL after UV was installed.  I never went a day without internet service.
I switched from DSL to UV and I canelled my DSL after UV was installed.  I never went a day without internet service.

8 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2008 7:09:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

MarkShadid wrote:

That is possible if you have AT&T DSL but if you have a 3rd party DSL provider, you have to cancel before they will even give you an install date. It's a conflict of interest on the lines and AT&T can't touch them until the other service is gone. Today is 14 days without internet for me and still no install date.

MarkShadid wrote:

That is possible if you have AT&T DSL but if you have a 3rd party DSL provider, you have to cancel before they will even give you an install date. It's a conflict of interest on the lines and AT&T can't touch them until the other service is gone. Today is 14 days without internet for me and still no install date.

9 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2008 7:39:26 AM
(0)
Master

Try switching to regular AT&T DSL first, then to UVERSE. Then when you get the UVERSE, call and explain what you had to go through and tell them you want credit for the modem you had to buy for the DSL, they might do something for then as far as compensation.

Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 11-20-2008 09:41 AM

Try switching to regular AT&T DSL first, then to UVERSE. Then when you get the UVERSE, call and explain what you had to go through and tell them you want credit for the modem you had to buy for the DSL, they might do something for then as far as compensation.

Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 11-20-2008 09:41 AM

neon_sign.jpg

10 of 14 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2008 8:04:06 AM
(0)
Tutor
Good Idea. I had thought of that. They should set that up for these kind of cases anyway. Especially since the earliest install dates around here are after Christmas now. It would keep potential customers from going months without internet service. I think I'm going to hit my local ATT store at lunch today and have them try getting me an install date again since the guy I was working with isn't returning my calls. I'll bring this up to them.
Good Idea. I had thought of that. They should set that up for these kind of cases anyway. Especially since the earliest install dates around here are after Christmas now. It would keep potential customers from going months without internet service. I think I'm going to hit my local ATT store at lunch today and have them try getting me an install date again since the guy I was working with isn't returning my calls. I'll bring this up to them.

11 of 14 (270 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2008 12:37:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Good God, Man, Don't sign up for ATT DSL first! I already had ATT DSL when uverse came to my neighborhood. I signed up right away. When the first tech came out, he couldn't install uverse because of a technical problem (my dry loop DSL) needed to be taken care of by engineering. Taken care of turns out to mean they have to physically disconnect it, leaving me without internet until my long distant install date. Funny thing is they don't tell you that you have to have DSL disconnected first...they just do it!

:smileymad: 

Good God, Man, Don't sign up for ATT DSL first! I already had ATT DSL when uverse came to my neighborhood. I signed up right away. When the first tech came out, he couldn't install uverse because of a technical problem (my dry loop DSL) needed to be taken care of by engineering. Taken care of turns out to mean they have to physically disconnect it, leaving me without internet until my long distant install date. Funny thing is they don't tell you that you have to have DSL disconnected first...they just do it!

:smileymad: 

12 of 14 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2008 1:23:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Not that I could sign up for ATT DSL if I wanted to. I've pretty much given up on Uverse. Uverse was a good thought but they don't have a clue what to do. Every time I talk to customer support, they get to the same point as the previous person and tell me they will have to call me back. Of course they never do and I'm just getting tired of the run around. It's been a nightmare from the start and I just want internet access back at this point.
Not that I could sign up for ATT DSL if I wanted to. I've pretty much given up on Uverse. Uverse was a good thought but they don't have a clue what to do. Every time I talk to customer support, they get to the same point as the previous person and tell me they will have to call me back. Of course they never do and I'm just getting tired of the run around. It's been a nightmare from the start and I just want internet access back at this point.

13 of 14 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2008 1:41:15 PM
(0)
Master
I had AT&T landline phone as well as the DSL so that might make it different.

I had AT&T landline phone as well as the DSL so that might make it different.

neon_sign.jpg

14 of 14 (270 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments