Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 8, 2007
9:54:07 PM
View profile
Any Mac OS X Mail users out there?
I can't get the outgoing mail server to accept my username and password.

The settings should be correct:

smtp.att.yahoo.com
Server port: 465
SSL is checked.

I have my complete email address as the username and my password saved, but i can't get it to work.

Any suggestions?

smtp.att.yahoo.com
SSL is checked.

I have my complete email address as the username and my password saved, but i can't get it to work.

Any suggestions?

Any Mac OS X Mail users out there?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 2:15:33 AM
(0)
Expert
I have very little experience with Mac OS, and none with the mail client; but I think what you are trying to do is get your ATT/Yahoo! e-mail to forward to your Mac mail?

These are the settings I use (Windows/Outlook Express):
 (I am sbcglobal.net)

pop.att.net (Incoming)
smtp.att.net (Outgoing)
yourusername at att.net
your password
 (server requires authentication/same settings as incoming mail server)

My SMTP port is 25
My POP3 port is 110

Not sure if Mac ports are different than PCs. :smileywink:

Try removing the yahoo part from what you now have and use .net (instead of .com) if the above doesn't work for you.

If you are attempting to forward plain Yahoo mail to your Mac mail account, I doubt that is possible unless you upgrade to Yahoo's paid service.  They did allow forwarding in the past, then discontinued it for their paid service. 
But the ATT/Yahoo should let you do forwarding.

Can you go to yahoo.com and login with yourusername at .att.net?

jrnewhouse wrote:

smtp.att.yahoo.com
SSL is checked.

Any suggestions?

I have very little experience with Mac OS, and none with the mail client; but I think what you are trying to do is get your ATT/Yahoo! e-mail to forward to your Mac mail?

These are the settings I use (Windows/Outlook Express):
 (I am sbcglobal.net)

pop.att.net (Incoming)
smtp.att.net (Outgoing)
yourusername at att.net
your password
 (server requires authentication/same settings as incoming mail server)

My SMTP port is 25
My POP3 port is 110

Not sure if Mac ports are different than PCs. :smileywink:

Try removing the yahoo part from what you now have and use .net (instead of .com) if the above doesn't work for you.

If you are attempting to forward plain Yahoo mail to your Mac mail account, I doubt that is possible unless you upgrade to Yahoo's paid service.  They did allow forwarding in the past, then discontinued it for their paid service. 
But the ATT/Yahoo should let you do forwarding.

Can you go to yahoo.com and login with yourusername at .att.net?

jrnewhouse wrote:

smtp.att.yahoo.com
SSL is checked.

Any suggestions?

Re: Any Mac OS X Mail users out there?

2 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 2:57:07 PM
(0)
Professor
I thought that you had to have the .yahoo in the adresses. That's what the helpme site says as well.
I thought that you had to have the .yahoo in the adresses. That's what the helpme site says as well.

3 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 5:32:54 PM
(0)
Expert
I did not look...and maybe it is different with att.net vs. sbcblobal.net.  Those settings are the ones I have used from back in SBC days when it was Prodigy.:smileysad:

Are ports different on Macs vs. PCs--maybe that is the issue?

Uturnaroun wrote:

I did not look...and maybe it is different with att.net vs. sbcblobal.net.  Those settings are the ones I have used from back in SBC days when it was Prodigy.:smileysad:

Are ports different on Macs vs. PCs--maybe that is the issue?

Uturnaroun wrote:

4 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 6:08:02 PM
(0)
Master
Yeah i know that you can definitely log in at yahoo with your sbcglobal.net ending because that's what I do.
Yeah i know that you can definitely log in at yahoo with your sbcglobal.net ending because that's what I do.

5 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 8:37:47 PM
(0)
Expert
So, possibly my assumption is wrong?

Anyone with an att.net addy here who can chime in?

But, as far as I know, you cannot do POP forwarding from regular yahoo.com addys unless you sign up for a paid Yahoo mail account.

hogrunr wrote:

So, possibly my assumption is wrong?

Anyone with an att.net addy here who can chime in?

But, as far as I know, you cannot do POP forwarding from regular yahoo.com addys unless you sign up for a paid Yahoo mail account.

hogrunr wrote:

6 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 9:22:49 PM
(0)
Mentor
Email settings should be as follows:

Domain     POP Server     SMTP Server     POP3 User ID
sbcglobal.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com    MemberID@sbcglobal.net
pacbell.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@pacbell.net
nvbell.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@nvbell.net
swbell.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@swbell.net
snet.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@snet.net
ameritech.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@ameritech.net
prodigy.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@prodigy.net
flash.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@flash.net
wans.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@wans.net
att.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@att.net

Incoming mail server: POP3
Outgoing mail server: Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port #: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

You can use the default ports of 110 and 25 if you do not have SSL checked, however, someday those will not work. not sure when though.
Email settings should be as follows:

Domain     POP Server     SMTP Server     POP3 User ID
sbcglobal.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com    MemberID@sbcglobal.net
pacbell.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@pacbell.net
nvbell.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@nvbell.net
swbell.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@swbell.net
snet.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@snet.net
ameritech.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@ameritech.net
prodigy.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@prodigy.net
flash.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@flash.net
wans.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@wans.net
att.net     pop.att.yahoo.com     smtp.att.yahoo.com     MemberID@att.net

Incoming mail server: POP3
Outgoing mail server: Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked
Outgoing mail port #: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

You can use the default ports of 110 and 25 if you do not have SSL checked, however, someday those will not work. not sure when though.

7 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 9:38:05 PM
(0)
Expert
Thanks for posting those. :smileywink:

So, those of use who use sbcglobal.net for POP In/Out are only able to do so 'temporarily'?
Do we need to check SSL and change our ports?

My settings have always had *.sbcglobal.net*
Thanks for posting those. :smileywink:

So, those of use who use sbcglobal.net for POP In/Out are only able to do so 'temporarily'?
Do we need to check SSL and change our ports?

My settings have always had *.sbcglobal.net*

8 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 5:16:20 AM
(0)
Master
Yeah that's one of the changes att is making. I got an email or something from them a while back stating that they need to be changed or soon you won't be able to get your email.
Yeah that's one of the changes att is making. I got an email or something from them a while back stating that they need to be changed or soon you won't be able to get your email.

9 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 8:15:29 AM
(0)
Professor
I got that email too. I never changed it and it still continued to work though.

10 of 18 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 11:55:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
okay, for whatever reason, everything is now working. i was never trying to forward my att u-verse email to another account, but simply trying to use the mac os x mail application with my .mac email. i never had a problem downloading the emails, but as usual the ISP doesn't allow you to use their outgoing mail server without authentication that you are indeed a paying customer. For the record, my settings are as follows:

Outgoing mail server: smtp.att.yahoo.com

username: is my att.net email address
password: is the password for the email address

i have the SSL box checked and the server port set to 465.

Hope everyone else's is easier to set-up than mine was.

Message Edited by jrnewhouse on 11-10-2007 11:55 AM
okay, for whatever reason, everything is now working. i was never trying to forward my att u-verse email to another account, but simply trying to use the mac os x mail application with my .mac email. i never had a problem downloading the emails, but as usual the ISP doesn't allow you to use their outgoing mail server without authentication that you are indeed a paying customer. For the record, my settings are as follows:

Outgoing mail server: smtp.att.yahoo.com

username: is my att.net email address
password: is the password for the email address

i have the SSL box checked and the server port set to 465.

Hope everyone else's is easier to set-up than mine was.

Message Edited by jrnewhouse on 11-10-2007 11:55 AM

11 of 18 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 3:19:16 PM
(0)
Mentor
oh you were using .mac email? thats why it wasnt working. AT&T blocks port 25. really easy to turn off though, just have to get a tier2 tech to do it then you can send with any email address.
oh you were using .mac email? thats why it wasnt working. AT&T blocks port 25. really easy to turn off though, just have to get a tier2 tech to do it then you can send with any email address.

12 of 18 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 8:13:12 PM
(0)
Expert
I never received the e-mail, so did it give a cutoff date?  Or will I just find one day I can't access my mail?:smileytongue:

That is going to be a problem for me as I have had my SBC/Yahoo through my mail client for years!:smileysad:

Uturnaroun wrote:

I never received the e-mail, so did it give a cutoff date?  Or will I just find one day I can't access my mail?:smileytongue:

That is going to be a problem for me as I have had my SBC/Yahoo through my mail client for years!:smileysad:

Uturnaroun wrote:

13 of 18 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 8:23:02 PM
(0)
Professor
I got that email a long time ago. I think I was still had DSL back when I go that.
I got that email a long time ago. I think I was still had DSL back when I go that.

14 of 18 (949 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 9:25:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
I'm sure they will send another email through with a cut-off date if they ever decide to have one
I'm sure they will send another email through with a cut-off date if they ever decide to have one

15 of 18 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 9:29:12 PM
(0)
Expert
No doubt!  So did the Mac person ever get their mail setup? Nevermind, I see that they did.  :smileywink:

ms8959 wrote:

Message Edited by spd2demun on 11-10-2007 11:30 PM
No doubt!  So did the Mac person ever get their mail setup? Nevermind, I see that they did.  :smileywink:

ms8959 wrote:

Message Edited by spd2demun on 11-10-2007 11:30 PM

16 of 18 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 9:35:59 PM
(0)
Professor

ms8959 wrote:

Well technically didn't the email say it would be cut off soon?

ms8959 wrote:

Well technically didn't the email say it would be cut off soon?

17 of 18 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2010 12:55:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey, I found a fix for Mac users!!

The directions that are given by ATT are only good for setting up an ATT e-mail account on a Mac. If for some reason you need to use another provider (gasp!) their settings will NOT work. The workaround is to have an agent open up port 25 so that you can use another outgoing smtp server. In my case, my provider is fatcow.com (really!). So once port 25 was opened up I could add smtp.fatcow.com as an outgoing mail server. In that case, they do require password authentication. Your case may be simpler and you may not need authentication at all (Inisight, WOW, RoadRunner etc.)

So it is possble, despite the dearth of information on ATT's UVerse web site. : P

Cheers,

: )

Hey, I found a fix for Mac users!!

The directions that are given by ATT are only good for setting up an ATT e-mail account on a Mac. If for some reason you need to use another provider (gasp!) their settings will NOT work. The workaround is to have an agent open up port 25 so that you can use another outgoing smtp server. In my case, my provider is fatcow.com (really!). So once port 25 was opened up I could add smtp.fatcow.com as an outgoing mail server. In that case, they do require password authentication. Your case may be simpler and you may not need authentication at all (Inisight, WOW, RoadRunner etc.)

So it is possble, despite the dearth of information on ATT's UVerse web site. : P

Cheers,

: )

18 of 18 (949 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments