All TV's BUT the main DVR won't work. Tech-support says I need to reformat?

Contributor

All TV's BUT the main DVR won't work. Tech-support says I need to reformat?

All my U-verse boxes work except for the main DVR box, I tried to reboot it and do what te tech support person called a "static reset" or something. What happens is the box seems to be on a constant reboot cycle. It shows the 3 dots on the screen and has a blinking power light, then the light goes solid and the TV says "no signal".  I REALLY don't want to reformat as I have a bunch of recordings that I would not like to loose. Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this without me losing my recordings?
Message 1 of 8 (2,576 Views)
Expert

Re: All TV's BUT the main DVR won't work. Tech-support says I need to reformat?

When you were talking to Customer Support, did they have you try a hard reboot by unplugging the DVR for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in?  If so, the next step would be to try a disaster recovery (i.e. reformat) which would delete all the recordings on the DVR's hard drive.

Message 2 of 8 (2,576 Views)
Contributor

I tired the reset where I unplug the power for 30 seconds, but no luck there. Is there really no other way to save my recordings?
Message 3 of 8 (2,576 Views)
Expert

It looks like you may have a bad dvr.  Call ts and request a new dvr.  And if you don't have the one with the larger hard drive ask if you can get one.  Here is the number. 800.983-2811
Message 4 of 8 (2,576 Views)
Expert

Logankb wrote:
I tired the reset where I unplug the power for 30 seconds, but no luck there. Is there really no other way to save my recordings?

I'm afraid there is no way to save the recordings when you follow Customer Support's steps to reformat the DVR.  Trying this would be the last step before determining that the DVR is bad and needs to be replaced.

Message 5 of 8 (2,576 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the help you guys,  one last question though.

How common is the problem I'm having, like with other people? Is this a rare thing or does it happen to a lot of people?

Message 6 of 8 (2,576 Views)
Expert

Not sure how frequently it happens.  I have had service for 5 months, and so far I have had no problems with my DVR.
Message 7 of 8 (2,576 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Logankb wrote:

Thanks for the help you guys,  one last question though.

How common is the problem I'm having, like with other people? Is this a rare thing or does it happen to a lot of people?

This is the first time I have seen this issue.  If you call ts don't give up until you get them to send out a tech to check your service.  If they don't just contact David, he will get the issue resolved.

Message 8 of 8 (2,576 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.