Posted Jan 17, 2010
7:44:40 AM
View profile
Alert: Serious Security Flaw with AT&T Network
So last night I was on my iphone, connected with wifi to my uverse internet, and browsed to my Yahoo mail account. To my astonishment, I was logged into a total stranger's email account, with the ability to browse his emails at will. I had never heard of this person prior to last night. After doing a Google search on this issue, I found this article from yesterday:
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_16036/con...ntguid=nfFWALxV

Seems like there is a very serious security flaw with AT&T's network that compromises users' privacy and security. This needs to be stopped ASAP.
So last night I was on my iphone, connected with wifi to my uverse internet, and browsed to my Yahoo mail account. To my astonishment, I was logged into a total stranger's email account, with the ability to browse his emails at will. I had never heard of this person prior to last night. After doing a Google search on this issue, I found this article from yesterday:
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_16036/con...ntguid=nfFWALxV

Seems like there is a very serious security flaw with AT&T's network that compromises users' privacy and security. This needs to be stopped ASAP.

Alert: Serious Security Flaw with AT&T Network

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2010 11:10:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

Interesting stuff. However, this is a U-Verse forum and has nothing to do with AT&T's cell phone or iPhone service, which seem to be a crucial link in this issue. 

Interesting stuff. However, this is a U-Verse forum and has nothing to do with AT&T's cell phone or iPhone service, which seem to be a crucial link in this issue. 

Re: Alert: Serious Security Flaw with AT&T Network

2 of 6 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2010 11:14:00 AM
(0)
Mentor
Sorry, but I guess you werent reading closely.  I was on my iphone, which was connected to my UVERSE internet via wifi.  So, the issue has to do with AT&T's routers and affects all Uverse users.  This is a Uverse issue.
Sorry, but I guess you werent reading closely.  I was on my iphone, which was connected to my UVERSE internet via wifi.  So, the issue has to do with AT&T's routers and affects all Uverse users.  This is a Uverse issue.

3 of 6 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2010 2:18:05 PM
(0)
Expert

No, it is not a U-Verse specific issue.

The issue occurs regardless of which AT&T internet service you're using ... whether it's U-Verse, DSL, or the mobile 3G network. The issue resides in the caching servers AT&T is using for internet traffic.  The cache is not being cleared under certain conditions.

The issue is specific to AT&T, and so far has been seen only with mobile phones (mostly iPhones, but other devices could also be affected).  But it has nothing to do with U-Verse.

Message Edited by SomeJoe7777 on 01-17-2010 04:19 PM

No, it is not a U-Verse specific issue.

The issue occurs regardless of which AT&T internet service you're using ... whether it's U-Verse, DSL, or the mobile 3G network. The issue resides in the caching servers AT&T is using for internet traffic.  The cache is not being cleared under certain conditions.

The issue is specific to AT&T, and so far has been seen only with mobile phones (mostly iPhones, but other devices could also be affected).  But it has nothing to do with U-Verse.

Message Edited by SomeJoe7777 on 01-17-2010 04:19 PM

4 of 6 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2010 6:55:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

lansa wrote:

Yes, as previously posted this is not a U-Verse issue. Kinda rude to speak like that to others, don't you think?

lansa wrote:

Yes, as previously posted this is not a U-Verse issue. Kinda rude to speak like that to others, don't you think?

5 of 6 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2010 8:15:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

Apparently this issue has been fixed.  And it was not specific to U-verse at all... users could have been connecting through any wifi service and still have seen this problem.  

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10436676-245.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20 

Apparently this issue has been fixed.  And it was not specific to U-verse at all... users could have been connecting through any wifi service and still have seen this problem.  

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10436676-245.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20 

6 of 6 (791 Views)