Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 24, 2010
5:44:10 AM
View profile
Adding more Ethernet ports

I would like to have more than 4 ethernet ports from my Uverse RG. Do I just require a HUB or does it require an ehternet switch? I have tried both and the HUB worked for a while then my service started to freeze. The switch I tried caused TV freezing from the second it was attached. Maybe I had some cabling issues (crossed v straight). Any help on this would be appreciated.

I would like to have more than 4 ethernet ports from my Uverse RG. Do I just require a HUB or does it require an ehternet switch? I have tried both and the HUB worked for a while then my service started to freeze. The switch I tried caused TV freezing from the second it was attached. Maybe I had some cabling issues (crossed v straight). Any help on this would be appreciated.

Adding more Ethernet ports

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 6:34:31 AM
(0)
Master

switch  not a hub

randy

switch  not a hub

randy

Re: Adding more Ethernet ports

2 of 9 (3,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 8:57:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

OK, so do I have to use a crossover cable from the RG to the switch or just a standard ethernet cable? Does it plug into any port on the switch or the WAN input? Thanks again.

OK, so do I have to use a crossover cable from the RG to the switch or just a standard ethernet cable? Does it plug into any port on the switch or the WAN input? Thanks again.

3 of 9 (3,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 9:02:38 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Alpione on Nov 24, 2010 at 9:12:16 AM

I've got a similar issue.  My RG is in our bedroom and the main TV is across the house in the living room.  We've got a single ethernet port in the living room that's hooked up to the STB. 

Can I just add a switch between the living room ethernet port and the STB to add ports in the that room?  I want to add a Blueray player and think wired will be faster and more reliable than WiFi.

Thanks!

Adam

I've got a similar issue.  My RG is in our bedroom and the main TV is across the house in the living room.  We've got a single ethernet port in the living room that's hooked up to the STB. 

Can I just add a switch between the living room ethernet port and the STB to add ports in the that room?  I want to add a Blueray player and think wired will be faster and more reliable than WiFi.

Thanks!

Adam

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (3,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 9:21:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

weller wrote:

A standard cable will do the trick.  A cross cable is only needed when you want to connect two computers directly to each other.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

weller wrote:

A standard cable will do the trick.  A cross cable is only needed when you want to connect two computers directly to each other.

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (3,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 9:25:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Alpione wrote:

Thanks!

Adam

You should be able to connect a switch to the Ethernet port on the wall to have more ports.  If you connect the STB in th eliving room via coax, you should be able to use the ethernet port on the back of the STB as another port for a computer or blu-ray player.

-------

Alpione wrote:

Thanks!

Adam

You should be able to connect a switch to the Ethernet port on the wall to have more ports.  If you connect the STB in th eliving room via coax, you should be able to use the ethernet port on the back of the STB as another port for a computer or blu-ray player.

-------

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (3,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 10:01:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Excellent.  Thanks.

Excellent.  Thanks.

7 of 9 (3,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 11:19:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Cool, I may do the same. I didn't know I could use the ethernet from the STB to feed my blu-ray player which was the reason for the extra ports to feed it via a power line. I will try it when I get home. Many thanks.

Cool, I may do the same. I didn't know I could use the ethernet from the STB to feed my blu-ray player which was the reason for the extra ports to feed it via a power line. I will try it when I get home. Many thanks.

8 of 9 (3,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2010 6:15:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

this is great advice that I got from SomeJoe7777:

-------

For switches, it depends on what you want to do.  The regilar NetGear GS-108 is a great Gigabit switch that works perfectly for U-Verse.  It is an unmanaged switch (just plug devices in).

The NetGear GS-108T switch is a small office/home office web manageable switch that has VLAN capability.  This switch is useful if you want to segment your computer and IPTV traffic and keep them separate, but this switch is more expensive and harder to find than the GS-108.

------

I'm sure other brands work as well but I would stick with the NetGear GS-108 or GS-108T because they have worked very well for me and the added benefit of very low energy consumption

this is great advice that I got from SomeJoe7777:

-------

For switches, it depends on what you want to do.  The regilar NetGear GS-108 is a great Gigabit switch that works perfectly for U-Verse.  It is an unmanaged switch (just plug devices in).

The NetGear GS-108T switch is a small office/home office web manageable switch that has VLAN capability.  This switch is useful if you want to segment your computer and IPTV traffic and keep them separate, but this switch is more expensive and harder to find than the GS-108.

------

I'm sure other brands work as well but I would stick with the NetGear GS-108 or GS-108T because they have worked very well for me and the added benefit of very low energy consumption

9 of 9 (3,294 Views)