Adding Wireless Router

Tutor

Adding Wireless Router

We got Uverse last Friday, 08/03, and the service is working well. My question is, is it possible for me to connect my 802.11n enabled wireless router to the gateway? I would really like to use the router and its built-in print server like I did before Uverse.

Message Edited by Csucher on 08-06-2007 10:35 AM
Message 1 of 25
Scholar

Re: Adding Wireless Router

Yours is the kind of post we need more of. The wireless port on the gateway must have been introducing some overhead that was using up a lot or most of the gateway's resources. It would be neat if you could post a simple diagram of your layout.

Message 16 of 25
Contributor

what I'm interested in is enabling WDS--having a second Airport Extreme enabled as a wireless extension of the network. I've tried a few times and have not been able to get it to work. It worked fine before the Uverse install.
Message 17 of 25
Professor

I rarely have our AP enabled, but when I do have it enabled when I need it, nothing seems slow at all.

Speed tests still check out fine (except for latency...) and everything.
Message 18 of 25
Teacher

Re: Adding Wireless Router - Anti Virus

Hi Guys,
One little glitch, I added my apple extreme router, set it up in bridge mode, disabled the wireless on the 2Wire portal and then would spent 30 minutes trying to get an IP address.
Found the problem, windows and 2Wire firewalls butting heads. Turned off the 2Wire now everything works fairly well.
Message 19 of 25
Professor

Re: Adding Wireless Router - Anti Virus

That doesn't sound right...I can run Windows firewall and the 2wire firewall together without any problems.  Have you tried disabling the Windows firewall and leaving the 2wire firewall enabled?  Does that work?
Message 20 of 25
prf
Tutor

I think I'm in the right forum. Here's my problem: I moved from ADSL service to VDSL. The problem is with wireless Internet. I live in a 3 story house and the RG, which is on the lowest floor, doesn't produce a strong enough signal on the top floor. Previously, I was running two wireless networks via two routers. I've been told not to try to connect a wireless router to the RG. The advice here seems to be that I can keep my previous architecture by disabling wireless service on the RG and connecting the routers to the RG via ethernet. Is that correct? If so, do I set up both routers as DHCP? Is there anything else I should know? - Thanks for your assistance.
Message 21 of 25
Highlighted
Master

Tags (2)
Message 22 of 25
prf
Tutor

Thanks for koolaid and randyl -- I followed the settings exactly, but no dice, no connection.
Message 23 of 25
Master

u know i didnt really re read the thread :smileysad:
there are several ways to skin the cat  btw
go over to uversuers and read the other how to etc
u may have to go back in time a few but its has been discussed tons
the link above maybe for a specific application  didnt look..

but u did ask about dhcp  so yeah only one needed use rg and turn off the router u are adding and its nat..
put your new addon router in bridge mode..and or
use your new router as a switch  run cat5 from lan  port of new router to a lan port on rg retc 

Message Edited by randyl on 12-04-2007 07:19 PM
Message 24 of 25
prf
Tutor

Here's the solution to my problem, which I found through a combination of my own effort and by helpful advice from someone on dslreports. My router is a Linksys WRT54G.

First, I accessed the router through a direct connection and changed the local IP to another address in the subnet (192.168.1.100). Then, I disabled NAT by changing the modem from a gateway to a router. Just for grins, I disabled DHCP, though that step is redundant. I created an AP, using the router's WPA2 security features. Then, I turned the unit off and back on and attached it to the ethernet cable that was running from the RG two floors below.

I did not create a DMZ on the home gateway. Computers that are connected to this wireless network are recognized as computers, but not as having a wireless connection.

Finally, the router was attached to a Netgear switch that split the signal from the CAT-5 that was going to the television. After everything else was in place, I discovered that splitting the signal in this manner prevented the router from working properly, so I moved it to an ethernet port in a different room. Everything is working fine. Problem solved (for now).
Message 25 of 25
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support