ATT to "Throttle" Internent usage

ATT to "Throttle" Internent usage

ATT is going to "Throttle" internet usage to maintain consistently high video quality? I thought the two(HSIA/TV) were seperate from each other within the RG? Am I missing something here?

ATT new TOS

Throttling internet

Message 1 of 36 (2,236 Views)
Guru

Re: ATT to "Throttle" Internent usage

dannyt wrote:

MarkShadid wrote:
I would never pay $55 bucks a month for 10mb and only get 6mb.  How ridiculous is that?

That's my main point. I would just hate for them to 'borrow' from my internet connection to ensure my TV service is OK. Especially when I have a 25Mbs pipe with a max of ~57Mbs. They could easily increase my rate a few Mbs with no side affects.

I guess at this point we will have to wait and see what they actually do.

I have to say tad2020 makes a good point that it does sound like they are just consolidating there Terms of Service. And the mining of the new terms at that point would be, at least to me, that if you live at the fringe of service and we cant get you the full 25MBS then internet losses first.

This will still not affect most of use because every service we have now fits in the bandwidth we have now. But your right if I constantly got any thing lower then my max- overhead I would defiantly drop down to next lower tier and for me a heavy internet user would make me go back to shutter Comcast.

Callmax the slides in that link you have are really disappointing as I would have hoped for faster then 10mbs internet in the future. And more then just 3HD streams Bu that did look to be something done in 2007.

This makes it an officially an up to that speed service! Now if they make that up to 25/2 for the price of max I can live with that.

Message Edited by TimS on 09-12-2008 11:31 PM
Message 31 of 36 (978 Views)
Guru

Re: ATT to change to variable bit rate

dannyt wrote:

Good find there ox.

What I wonder is how they are doing it now though. According to that article an HDTV stream is 8-9 MBs of bandwidth and an SD stream is 1-2 MBs. If I'm at capacity (2hd/2SD) then I'm using ~18-22Mbs of a 25Mbs pipe. If it's closer to 22 MBs and I'm downloading at 6Mbs then I am 'over the limit'. Does it currently then borrow from the IPTV to achieve that speed and therefore degrade the signal?

This would be even worse on a 10Mbs DSL line but should have no affect on a 3Mbs or slower service.

Hopefully they can get the compression down to alleviate this problem but if they do then they are more likely to just add another HD stream.

We are in the future so an HD stream would be 6mps maybe?

SO:

2HD @6 =12

2SD = 4

Internet = 10

= 26mbs

IPTV cap under 2HD profile is 29 mbs.

Message Edited by TimS on 09-12-2008 11:40 PM
Message 32 of 36 (978 Views)

TimS wrote: 

We are in the future so an HD stream would be 6mps maybe?

SO:

2HD @6 =12

2SD = 4

Internet = 10

= 26mbs

IPTV cap under 2HD profile is 29 mbs.

Message Edited by TimS on 09-12-2008 11:40 PM

My updated bandwidth cap with 2HD is 25.8. I believe that many others have reported that their bandwidth cap has dropped as well. So we would be right at the threshhold of the bandwidth cap. And maybe that is the reason for this TOS "revision". And it looks like ATT's lawyers want to clarify this TOS revision.

Message 33 of 36 (978 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

As I posted on UU, when using all 4 streams and downloading a large file, my incoming bandwidth jumps to 33880kbps... 

If this is going to start being an "up-to" service, then I might have to start paying "up-to" $55/a month for my max connection...

Personally, I think that if they are going to add an HD stream that is going to eat into my HSIA, then my HSIA needs to eat into unused bandwidth when those other streams are not being used. Anything else would be unacceptable.

The best thing to do is to increase the cap beyond 25/2... Remember, AT&T has to be careful what they do since other providers are adding speed, features other gimmicks. The minute that this starts happening (slowing internet speeds because of "other" services) U-Verse looses its main advantage over cable and if its going to be like that then the worst cable can do on a really bad day would be better then what U-verse can do on a really good day.

I think AT&T may have something up their sleeves but with the sudo bad press this is causing around the net, I hope they don't take too long to reveal what it is...  

Message 34 of 36 (978 Views)
Guru

Personally I don’t think we are caped at 25216kbs any more. And I still think this will only affect people that can’t get a max rate that will handle all the services.

AT&T does need to clarify:

What is the current maximum we can D/l at?

Maximum D/L rate for TV? Phone?

What the current rate of 25216 is? QOS minimum maybe?

Under what conditions internet speed will be affected and throttled? <=That’s the big one
Message 35 of 36 (978 Views)
Mentor

I'm with you 100%... I think you may be correct about the 25216.. 

I would really like something faster then 10Mbits, the HD quality needs improving as well.  There is real potential for AT&T to have a great service if they don't start messing it up or staying silent on exactly what they mean. 

Message 36 of 36 (978 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.