U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 7, 2007
3:29:09 PM
AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?
Is AT&T dropping high speed packages that are available for DSL (ADSL) to attempt to get users onto Uverse ?

I've been on the 1500-3000/384-512kbps package for a few years now, and it isn't available anymore from either DSL-Extreme, Sonic or AT&T.  What gives ?
AT&T has spent the past couple of months taking out 'extra' lengths of wire, and my available sync rate is +5Mbps

Downstream Upstream SNR Margin (dB): 14.6  16.0
  Attenuation (dB): 48.0  31.0
  Output Power (dBm): 13.6  10.3
  Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5376  984
  Rate (Kbps): 1984  512
  K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 63  17
  R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0  0
  S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1  1 
 D (interleaver depth): 0  0 
 Delay (msec): 0  0 

Is AT&T dropping high speed packages that are available for DSL (ADSL) to attempt to get users onto Uverse ?

I've been on the 1500-3000/384-512kbps package for a few years now, and it isn't available anymore from either DSL-Extreme, Sonic or AT&T.  What gives ?
AT&T has spent the past couple of months taking out 'extra' lengths of wire, and my available sync rate is +5Mbps

Downstream Upstream SNR Margin (dB): 14.6  16.0
  Attenuation (dB): 48.0  31.0
  Output Power (dBm): 13.6  10.3
  Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5376  984
  Rate (Kbps): 1984  512
  K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 63  17
  R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0  0
  S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1  1 
 D (interleaver depth): 0  0 
 Delay (msec): 0  0 

AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 4:32:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
I found all 3 packages on their site located at: LINK

Message Edited by Creeper on 11-07-2007 04:35 PM
I found all 3 packages on their site located at: LINK

Message Edited by Creeper on 11-07-2007 04:35 PM

Re: AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?

2 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 4:53:11 PM
(0)
Professor
And technically they can't do that becuase U-verse is only available in limited areas. So they would be losing money/customers by dropping their highest package.
And technically they can't do that becuase U-verse is only available in limited areas. So they would be losing money/customers by dropping their highest package.

3 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 5:25:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
After you 'Check availability' what comes up ?
If I attempt to order, all I get is the 1.5Mbps and lower packages.
In the past, I had the 'pro' (3.0Mbps) package as well as an option.

I'm not the first to notice this.  Is AT&T, dropping the 'Elite' or 'Pro' availability in some areas that are Uverse enabled as an enticement to get them onto Uverse ?
I.e on DSL-Ex, one customer went for renewal, and the 6.0 package is gone (which was being used)
In my case, the 3.0 package is gone (which I currently susbcribe to, and have for a few years).

I'm assuming that if I called up C.S. to order it, after being bumped to a lower package, they would state that it is no longer available at my address, but I could get it or better if I got Uverse service. :robotmad:

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-07-2007 05:27 PM
After you 'Check availability' what comes up ?
If I attempt to order, all I get is the 1.5Mbps and lower packages.
In the past, I had the 'pro' (3.0Mbps) package as well as an option.

I'm not the first to notice this.  Is AT&T, dropping the 'Elite' or 'Pro' availability in some areas that are Uverse enabled as an enticement to get them onto Uverse ?
I.e on DSL-Ex, one customer went for renewal, and the 6.0 package is gone (which was being used)
In my case, the 3.0 package is gone (which I currently susbcribe to, and have for a few years).

I'm assuming that if I called up C.S. to order it, after being bumped to a lower package, they would state that it is no longer available at my address, but I could get it or better if I got Uverse service. :robotmad:

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-07-2007 05:27 PM

4 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 6:50:28 PM
(0)
Professor
When I checked availablility, I got all of the packages including pro and elite.

Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 11-07-2007 09:50 PM
When I checked availablility, I got all of the packages including pro and elite.

Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 11-07-2007 09:50 PM

5 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 8:30:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
Are you CO or RT based ?

I know that if I'm downgraded to 1.5/384, I may have to jump over to Cable for POTS (VoIP) and Internet until my DirecTv expires (I use DSL for remote support work.. 1.5/384kbps is not very supportable for X11/Remote Desktop/SCP/SSH sessions).  Too bad AT&T doesn't offer Uverse packages that don't include TV.
Are you CO or RT based ?

I know that if I'm downgraded to 1.5/384, I may have to jump over to Cable for POTS (VoIP) and Internet until my DirecTv expires (I use DSL for remote support work.. 1.5/384kbps is not very supportable for X11/Remote Desktop/SCP/SSH sessions).  Too bad AT&T doesn't offer Uverse packages that don't include TV.

6 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 8:48:51 PM
(0)
Professor
To find out where your CO is, you can use the CO finder tool on DSLreports here: http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo

My CO for example is: HSTNTXLA

They used to have a tool to actually determine a wireline distance estimate from your address to the CO, but they took it down.

Message Edited by Koolkid1935 on 11-07-2007 10:55 PM
To find out where your CO is, you can use the CO finder tool on DSLreports here: http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo

My CO for example is: HSTNTXLA

They used to have a tool to actually determine a wireline distance estimate from your address to the CO, but they took it down.

Message Edited by Koolkid1935 on 11-07-2007 10:55 PM

7 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2007 10:17:06 AM
(0)
Scholar
You might want to post over at the AT&T Direct Forums at Broadbandreports.com.  Mine does not come up with Elite as being available since I am 47' to far away from the CO for it.  They were able to get me my Elite package since my line was clean.
You might want to post over at the AT&T Direct Forums at Broadbandreports.com.  Mine does not come up with Elite as being available since I am 47' to far away from the CO for it.  They were able to get me my Elite package since my line was clean.

8 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2007 11:41:51 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yeah, I already posted over there.  DSL-Ex will allow me to keep my existing plan (Pro)
I know my CO is CO NHLLCA01 and I've been told I'm at 13,000'.
Why, after 3 years of 'pro' speed would AT&T cut it down to 'express' ?  Specifically after spending months of line conditioning in my area.
Modem shows that I can typically sync between 4900kbps at 6000kbps.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-08-2007 11:43 AM
Yeah, I already posted over there.  DSL-Ex will allow me to keep my existing plan (Pro)
I know my CO is CO NHLLCA01 and I've been told I'm at 13,000'.
Why, after 3 years of 'pro' speed would AT&T cut it down to 'express' ?  Specifically after spending months of line conditioning in my area.
Modem shows that I can typically sync between 4900kbps at 6000kbps.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-08-2007 11:43 AM

9 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 2:58:51 PM
(0)
Professor

formercanuck wrote:
Are you CO or RT based ?

Actually U-verse does have an internet only package. So you can get it without the TV.

formercanuck wrote:
Are you CO or RT based ?

Actually U-verse does have an internet only package. So you can get it without the TV.

10 of 48 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 3:41:24 PM
(0)
Scholar
Can you point me to where this is offered ?  I'd like to get Uverse Internet + VoIP.
Can you point me to where this is offered ?  I'd like to get Uverse Internet + VoIP.

11 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 3:54:58 PM
(0)
Professor
They don't have it listed online. If you call, the rep should be able to give you the details.
They don't have it listed online. If you call, the rep should be able to give you the details.

12 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 5:16:36 PM
(0)
Expert
That's what I thought, too!  I asked Tier II about it the other day, and was told, no--you still have to order it with TV and then drop TV, keep Internet.  But I know I've read otherwise???

Uturnaroun wrote:

formercanuck wrote:
Are you CO or RT based ?

That's what I thought, too!  I asked Tier II about it the other day, and was told, no--you still have to order it with TV and then drop TV, keep Internet.  But I know I've read otherwise???

Uturnaroun wrote:

formercanuck wrote:
Are you CO or RT based ?

13 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 12:36:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
No at&t isnt dropping the higher speed tiers but they are putting more strict limitations on distance from rt/co so end user recieves a better speed for the $$--they don't want someone with elite for 34.99 to be 14kft away and getting slow service.
No at&t isnt dropping the higher speed tiers but they are putting more strict limitations on distance from rt/co so end user recieves a better speed for the $$--they don't want someone with elite for 34.99 to be 14kft away and getting slow service.

14 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 2:21:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
The flip side of that is having to go from Pro down to Express where the cost difference is minimal.
Having good sync at 3008/512kbps and being told that you can purchase PPPoE 1500/384 service for $5 less.
The flip side of that is having to go from Pro down to Express where the cost difference is minimal.
Having good sync at 3008/512kbps and being told that you can purchase PPPoE 1500/384 service for $5 less.

15 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 2:52:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
Current customers are grandfathered in and can keep the same rate if they want--there is a range of speed, as you already know, and the top end of express is the same as the bottom end of pro--at&t is trying to be more fair and charge the $$ that more accurately reflects what the customer is receiving.
Current customers are grandfathered in and can keep the same rate if they want--there is a range of speed, as you already know, and the top end of express is the same as the bottom end of pro--at&t is trying to be more fair and charge the $$ that more accurately reflects what the customer is receiving.

16 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2007 2:47:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

Uturnaroun wrote:

I called... they state that I have to take TV service, and according to CS, they would 'interfere' with my current satellite as they would come into the house on the same line. :smileymad:

Uturnaroun wrote:

I called... they state that I have to take TV service, and according to CS, they would 'interfere' with my current satellite as they would come into the house on the same line. :smileymad:

17 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2007 3:15:30 PM
(0)
Master
they are wrong about the satellite thing, there have been several people who have Uverse running side by side with cable/satellite. You just have to tell the installer that this what you want so he doesn't mess with your existing coax.
they are wrong about the satellite thing, there have been several people who have Uverse running side by side with cable/satellite. You just have to tell the installer that this what you want so he doesn't mess with your existing coax.

18 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2007 6:27:00 PM
(0)
Professor
Or what you can do is sign up for U300 or something with a free trial. When the installer comes, tell him to just connect the internet. If you want you can make up something about a change of heart with the TV service. Then you just call and cancel the TV section.
Or what you can do is sign up for U300 or something with a free trial. When the installer comes, tell him to just connect the internet. If you want you can make up something about a change of heart with the TV service. Then you just call and cancel the TV section.

19 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2007 2:17:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
 I think I'll stick with DSL until my DirecTv contract is up, then evaluate after

Home> wan ad chandata
near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
near-end fast channel bit rate: 3008 kbps
far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
far-end fast channel bit rate: 512 kbps
Home> wan ad line near
relative capacity occupation: 60%
noise margin downstream: 14.0 db
output power upstream: 12.0 dbm
attenuation downstream: 50.0 db

I think I'll stick with DSL until my DirecTv contract is up, then evaluate after

Home> wan ad chandata
near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
near-end fast channel bit rate: 3008 kbps
far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
far-end fast channel bit rate: 512 kbps
Home> wan ad line near
relative capacity occupation: 60%
noise margin downstream: 14.0 db
output power upstream: 12.0 dbm
attenuation downstream: 50.0 db

20 of 48 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2007 2:41:59 PM
(0)
Professor
That would probably be the best thing. Technically, U-verse internet alone costs more than DSL alone. You only get the savings when you combine both U-verse TV and Internet.
That would probably be the best thing. Technically, U-verse internet alone costs more than DSL alone. You only get the savings when you combine both U-verse TV and Internet.

21 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2007 3:23:34 PM
(0)
Scholar
That's why I wish AT&T had a better spread option (similar to Cable)
I have AT&T POTS, DSL, AT&T cell phone, but don't want TV.  I guess in some markets they would rather lose customers than sell w/o TV service.

Standalone - pricey (Internet, Phone, TV, Wireless )  $45/month - Wireless is in its own world (starter)
Dual (TV + Internet  /  TV + VoIP  /   TV + Wireless   /   Internet + VoIP   /   Internet + Wireless  /  Internet + VoIP )   ~$69 (starter)
Triple  ( Internet + VoIP + TV   /   Internet + VoIP + Wireless   /  Internet + TV + Wireless /  Internet + VoIP + Wireless )
Quad ( Internet + VoIP + TV + Wireless )

Eg. I would go for a VoIP + Internet + Wireless package where I would get a 6Mbps / 1Mbps deal, so that I could get rid of old POTS/LD.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-14-2007 03:24 PM
That's why I wish AT&T had a better spread option (similar to Cable)
I have AT&T POTS, DSL, AT&T cell phone, but don't want TV.  I guess in some markets they would rather lose customers than sell w/o TV service.

Standalone - pricey (Internet, Phone, TV, Wireless )  $45/month - Wireless is in its own world (starter)
Dual (TV + Internet  /  TV + VoIP  /   TV + Wireless   /   Internet + VoIP   /   Internet + Wireless  /  Internet + VoIP )   ~$69 (starter)
Triple  ( Internet + VoIP + TV   /   Internet + VoIP + Wireless   /  Internet + TV + Wireless /  Internet + VoIP + Wireless )
Quad ( Internet + VoIP + TV + Wireless )

Eg. I would go for a VoIP + Internet + Wireless package where I would get a 6Mbps / 1Mbps deal, so that I could get rid of old POTS/LD.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-14-2007 03:24 PM

22 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2007 7:09:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
Looks like AT&T has finally heard me (possibly)
I received what appears to be a discount/rebate for use of AT&T Yahoo Internet for 'pro' or higher packages.  And it does not state anything about 'Uverse'.
I called to find out what the deal is all about.
The rep stated that I could get a rebate if I signed up for 'pro' or better service.
I asked if it was available in at my location. (i.e. pro or elite).
He stated, I could only get 'express' (even though I'm syncd at 3008/512).
I asked why they would send me an offer that I can't use (i.e. typical bulk junk mail to all AT&T subs?)
Then he went through the spiel of how I'm in a Uverse area and could get Uverse TV and Internet, but the $50 rebate wouldn't apply.

I told him that was a 'bait and switch' tactic, and I didn't want TV (I'm in a contract until July/August on satellite).

Then I was told that this was a different product (which it is), and I could get 'pro' or 'elite' Uverse Internet without TV service for $30 (pro) or $40(elite)
Only catch is that it has to be ordered through their number (specific 1-877 number) in San Antonio.
I stated that I'll wait until the VoIP service is out (and pricing) as well as my DSL contract expiration before I call him back.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-23-2007 07:10 PM
Looks like AT&T has finally heard me (possibly)
I received what appears to be a discount/rebate for use of AT&T Yahoo Internet for 'pro' or higher packages.  And it does not state anything about 'Uverse'.
I called to find out what the deal is all about.
The rep stated that I could get a rebate if I signed up for 'pro' or better service.
I asked if it was available in at my location. (i.e. pro or elite).
He stated, I could only get 'express' (even though I'm syncd at 3008/512).
I asked why they would send me an offer that I can't use (i.e. typical bulk junk mail to all AT&T subs?)
Then he went through the spiel of how I'm in a Uverse area and could get Uverse TV and Internet, but the $50 rebate wouldn't apply.

I told him that was a 'bait and switch' tactic, and I didn't want TV (I'm in a contract until July/August on satellite).

Then I was told that this was a different product (which it is), and I could get 'pro' or 'elite' Uverse Internet without TV service for $30 (pro) or $40(elite)
Only catch is that it has to be ordered through their number (specific 1-877 number) in San Antonio.
I stated that I'll wait until the VoIP service is out (and pricing) as well as my DSL contract expiration before I call him back.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-23-2007 07:10 PM

23 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2007 11:12:58 PM
(0)
Expert
I would call back again, get a different rep and ask why you were sent this offer--then ask what they can do for you (as in give you the $50 credit).  I had a situation where I was offered (via e-mail) to go up to the next highest package with a discount of $10 a month for 3 months.  I called to ask how I could do this as I was already at U400; rep came back and said that since they should have checked before e-mailing, they would honor the credit.  Might be worth another try? :smileywink:

But getting rid of the high-end DSL is only going to make non-Uverse customers go with someone else.  Doesn't make sense.  Does this apply on the Homezone side, too, I wonder?
I would call back again, get a different rep and ask why you were sent this offer--then ask what they can do for you (as in give you the $50 credit).  I had a situation where I was offered (via e-mail) to go up to the next highest package with a discount of $10 a month for 3 months.  I called to ask how I could do this as I was already at U400; rep came back and said that since they should have checked before e-mailing, they would honor the credit.  Might be worth another try? :smileywink:

But getting rid of the high-end DSL is only going to make non-Uverse customers go with someone else.  Doesn't make sense.  Does this apply on the Homezone side, too, I wonder?

24 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2007 10:40:05 AM
(0)
Scholar
Well, AT&T still doesn't offer DSL at pro or elite here, but will offer Uverse Internet standalone... that's good enough for me.
I don't have Homezone, just POTS/LD, Wireless with AT&T, DSL through DSL-Extreme (pro speed :smileytongue: ) and DirecTv.
Well, AT&T still doesn't offer DSL at pro or elite here, but will offer Uverse Internet standalone... that's good enough for me.
I don't have Homezone, just POTS/LD, Wireless with AT&T, DSL through DSL-Extreme (pro speed :smileytongue: ) and DirecTv.

25 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2007 10:01:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
According to AT&T's techs on DSLReports.com, prequal loop was ~ 9,000' and I'm at ~12,000' of wire from the CO, but my line's officially stable enough to qualify for Pro... I just have to jump through hoops.
I'll check for the Uvsere w/o TV after Xmas.
According to AT&T's techs on DSLReports.com, prequal loop was ~ 9,000' and I'm at ~12,000' of wire from the CO, but my line's officially stable enough to qualify for Pro... I just have to jump through hoops.
I'll check for the Uvsere w/o TV after Xmas.

26 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2008 4:07:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Does existing DSL customers with 3mb at $24.99 being grandfathered into uverse with 3mb at $25?  If so, where did you get the info from?  Uverse Customer Service is saying 'NO'.  Thanks.
Does existing DSL customers with 3mb at $24.99 being grandfathered into uverse with 3mb at $25?  If so, where did you get the info from?  Uverse Customer Service is saying 'NO'.  Thanks.

27 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2008 5:05:16 PM
(0)
Master
What is customer service saying No about? the 3mb internet with TV on the Uverse side of things should only cheaper than that.
What is customer service saying No about? the 3mb internet with TV on the Uverse side of things should only cheaper than that.

28 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2008 8:35:12 PM
(0)
Expert
My ProDSL was $24.99, and they just switched a few wires :smileywink: and now I'm Uverse VDSL.  Internet and TV together give me a $10 discount per month.  Instead of being $30, I look at it as being $20 (or you could take the $10 off the TV price), but that's how I like to look at it.  So, I'm saving $5 a month on Internet.

There should be no problem with your moving from ADSL to VDSL.  What have they told you?

paperbag wrote:

My ProDSL was $24.99, and they just switched a few wires :smileywink: and now I'm Uverse VDSL.  Internet and TV together give me a $10 discount per month.  Instead of being $30, I look at it as being $20 (or you could take the $10 off the TV price), but that's how I like to look at it.  So, I'm saving $5 a month on Internet.

There should be no problem with your moving from ADSL to VDSL.  What have they told you?

paperbag wrote:

29 of 48 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2008 9:04:31 PM
(0)
Teacher
To me, you get the $10 discount per month regardless of whether you have DSL services or not because you bundle Internet and TV together.  The word 'grandfathered' sounds like you continued to pay $24.99 for 3mb instead of $30.00 for existing customers.  Total discount is $15 where  Internet/TV ($10) + grandfathered existing DSL customers ($5).

BTW, my first impression with Uverse customer Service was lousy.  I wasn't treated like a value customer and it was take it or leave it attitude.  For now, I will stay with TWC until they raise my rates.
To me, you get the $10 discount per month regardless of whether you have DSL services or not because you bundle Internet and TV together.  The word 'grandfathered' sounds like you continued to pay $24.99 for 3mb instead of $30.00 for existing customers.  Total discount is $15 where  Internet/TV ($10) + grandfathered existing DSL customers ($5).

BTW, my first impression with Uverse customer Service was lousy.  I wasn't treated like a value customer and it was take it or leave it attitude.  For now, I will stay with TWC until they raise my rates.

30 of 48 (507 Views)