AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?

AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?

Is AT&T dropping high speed packages that are available for DSL (ADSL) to attempt to get users onto Uverse ?

I've been on the 1500-3000/384-512kbps package for a few years now, and it isn't available anymore from either DSL-Extreme, Sonic or AT&T.  What gives ?
AT&T has spent the past couple of months taking out 'extra' lengths of wire, and my available sync rate is +5Mbps

Downstream Upstream SNR Margin (dB): 14.6  16.0
  Attenuation (dB): 48.0  31.0
  Output Power (dBm): 13.6  10.3
  Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5376  984
  Rate (Kbps): 1984  512
  K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 63  17
  R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0  0
  S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1  1 
 D (interleaver depth): 0  0 
 Delay (msec): 0  0 

Message 1 of 48
Scholar

Re: AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?

I found all 3 packages on their site located at: LINK

Message Edited by Creeper on 11-07-2007 04:35 PM
Message 2 of 48
Professor

And technically they can't do that becuase U-verse is only available in limited areas. So they would be losing money/customers by dropping their highest package.
Message 3 of 48

After you 'Check availability' what comes up ?
If I attempt to order, all I get is the 1.5Mbps and lower packages.
In the past, I had the 'pro' (3.0Mbps) package as well as an option.

I'm not the first to notice this.  Is AT&T, dropping the 'Elite' or 'Pro' availability in some areas that are Uverse enabled as an enticement to get them onto Uverse ?
I.e on DSL-Ex, one customer went for renewal, and the 6.0 package is gone (which was being used)
In my case, the 3.0 package is gone (which I currently susbcribe to, and have for a few years).

I'm assuming that if I called up C.S. to order it, after being bumped to a lower package, they would state that it is no longer available at my address, but I could get it or better if I got Uverse service. :robotmad:

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-07-2007 05:27 PM
Message 4 of 48
Professor

When I checked availablility, I got all of the packages including pro and elite.

Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 11-07-2007 09:50 PM
Message 5 of 48

Are you CO or RT based ?

I know that if I'm downgraded to 1.5/384, I may have to jump over to Cable for POTS (VoIP) and Internet until my DirecTv expires (I use DSL for remote support work.. 1.5/384kbps is not very supportable for X11/Remote Desktop/SCP/SSH sessions).  Too bad AT&T doesn't offer Uverse packages that don't include TV.
Message 6 of 48
Professor

To find out where your CO is, you can use the CO finder tool on DSLreports here: http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo

My CO for example is: HSTNTXLA

They used to have a tool to actually determine a wireline distance estimate from your address to the CO, but they took it down.

Message Edited by Koolkid1935 on 11-07-2007 10:55 PM
Message 7 of 48
Scholar

You might want to post over at the AT&T Direct Forums at Broadbandreports.com.  Mine does not come up with Elite as being available since I am 47' to far away from the CO for it.  They were able to get me my Elite package since my line was clean.
Message 8 of 48

Yeah, I already posted over there.  DSL-Ex will allow me to keep my existing plan (Pro)
I know my CO is CO NHLLCA01 and I've been told I'm at 13,000'.
Why, after 3 years of 'pro' speed would AT&T cut it down to 'express' ?  Specifically after spending months of line conditioning in my area.
Modem shows that I can typically sync between 4900kbps at 6000kbps.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-08-2007 11:43 AM
Message 9 of 48
Professor

formercanuck wrote:
Are you CO or RT based ?

I know that if I'm downgraded to 1.5/384, I may have to jump over to Cable for POTS (VoIP) and Internet until my DirecTv expires (I use DSL for remote support work.. 1.5/384kbps is not very supportable for X11/Remote Desktop/SCP/SSH sessions).  Too bad AT&T doesn't offer Uverse packages that don't include TV.

Actually U-verse does have an internet only package. So you can get it without the TV.
Message 10 of 48

Can you point me to where this is offered ?  I'd like to get Uverse Internet + VoIP.
Message 11 of 48
Professor

They don't have it listed online. If you call, the rep should be able to give you the details.
Message 12 of 48
Expert

That's what I thought, too!  I asked Tier II about it the other day, and was told, no--you still have to order it with TV and then drop TV, keep Internet.  But I know I've read otherwise???

Uturnaroun wrote:

formercanuck wrote:
Are you CO or RT based ?

Actually U-verse does have an internet only package. So you can get it without the TV.

Message 13 of 48
Contributor

No at&t isnt dropping the higher speed tiers but they are putting more strict limitations on distance from rt/co so end user recieves a better speed for the $$--they don't want someone with elite for 34.99 to be 14kft away and getting slow service.
Message 14 of 48

The flip side of that is having to go from Pro down to Express where the cost difference is minimal.
Having good sync at 3008/512kbps and being told that you can purchase PPPoE 1500/384 service for $5 less.
Message 15 of 48
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support