Posted Nov 7, 2007
3:29:09 PM
AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?
Is AT&T dropping high speed packages that are available for DSL (ADSL) to attempt to get users onto Uverse ?

I've been on the 1500-3000/384-512kbps package for a few years now, and it isn't available anymore from either DSL-Extreme, Sonic or AT&T.  What gives ?
AT&T has spent the past couple of months taking out 'extra' lengths of wire, and my available sync rate is +5Mbps

Downstream Upstream SNR Margin (dB): 14.6  16.0
  Attenuation (dB): 48.0  31.0
  Output Power (dBm): 13.6  10.3
  Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5376  984
  Rate (Kbps): 1984  512
  K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 63  17
  R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0  0
  S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1  1 
 D (interleaver depth): 0  0 
 Delay (msec): 0  0 

AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 4:32:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
I found all 3 packages on their site located at: LINK

Message Edited by Creeper on 11-07-2007 04:35 PM

Re: AT&T dropping high end DSL to get users on Uverse ?

2 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 4:53:11 PM
(0)
Professor
And technically they can't do that becuase U-verse is only available in limited areas. So they would be losing money/customers by dropping their highest package.

3 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 5:25:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
After you 'Check availability' what comes up ?
If I attempt to order, all I get is the 1.5Mbps and lower packages.
In the past, I had the 'pro' (3.0Mbps) package as well as an option.

I'm not the first to notice this.  Is AT&T, dropping the 'Elite' or 'Pro' availability in some areas that are Uverse enabled as an enticement to get them onto Uverse ?
I.e on DSL-Ex, one customer went for renewal, and the 6.0 package is gone (which was being used)
In my case, the 3.0 package is gone (which I currently susbcribe to, and have for a few years).

I'm assuming that if I called up C.S. to order it, after being bumped to a lower package, they would state that it is no longer available at my address, but I could get it or better if I got Uverse service. :robotmad:

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-07-2007 05:27 PM

4 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 6:50:28 PM
(0)
Professor
When I checked availablility, I got all of the packages including pro and elite.

Message Edited by Uturnaroun on 11-07-2007 09:50 PM

5 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 8:30:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
Are you CO or RT based ?

I know that if I'm downgraded to 1.5/384, I may have to jump over to Cable for POTS (VoIP) and Internet until my DirecTv expires (I use DSL for remote support work.. 1.5/384kbps is not very supportable for X11/Remote Desktop/SCP/SSH sessions).  Too bad AT&T doesn't offer Uverse packages that don't include TV.

6 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2007 8:48:51 PM
(0)
Professor
To find out where your CO is, you can use the CO finder tool on DSLreports here: http://www.dslreports.com/coinfo

My CO for example is: HSTNTXLA

They used to have a tool to actually determine a wireline distance estimate from your address to the CO, but they took it down.

Message Edited by Koolkid1935 on 11-07-2007 10:55 PM

7 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2007 10:17:06 AM
(0)
Scholar
You might want to post over at the AT&T Direct Forums at Broadbandreports.com.  Mine does not come up with Elite as being available since I am 47' to far away from the CO for it.  They were able to get me my Elite package since my line was clean.

8 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2007 11:41:51 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yeah, I already posted over there.  DSL-Ex will allow me to keep my existing plan (Pro)
I know my CO is CO NHLLCA01 and I've been told I'm at 13,000'.
Why, after 3 years of 'pro' speed would AT&T cut it down to 'express' ?  Specifically after spending months of line conditioning in my area.
Modem shows that I can typically sync between 4900kbps at 6000kbps.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-08-2007 11:43 AM

9 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 2:58:51 PM
(0)
Professor

formercanuck wrote:
Are you CO or RT based ?

I know that if I'm downgraded to 1.5/384, I may have to jump over to Cable for POTS (VoIP) and Internet until my DirecTv expires (I use DSL for remote support work.. 1.5/384kbps is not very supportable for X11/Remote Desktop/SCP/SSH sessions).  Too bad AT&T doesn't offer Uverse packages that don't include TV.

Actually U-verse does have an internet only package. So you can get it without the TV.

10 of 48 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 3:41:24 PM
(0)
Scholar
Can you point me to where this is offered ?  I'd like to get Uverse Internet + VoIP.

11 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 3:54:58 PM
(0)
Professor
They don't have it listed online. If you call, the rep should be able to give you the details.

12 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2007 5:16:36 PM
(0)
Expert
That's what I thought, too!  I asked Tier II about it the other day, and was told, no--you still have to order it with TV and then drop TV, keep Internet.  But I know I've read otherwise???

Uturnaroun wrote:

formercanuck wrote:
Are you CO or RT based ?

Actually U-verse does have an internet only package. So you can get it without the TV.

13 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 12:36:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
No at&t isnt dropping the higher speed tiers but they are putting more strict limitations on distance from rt/co so end user recieves a better speed for the $$--they don't want someone with elite for 34.99 to be 14kft away and getting slow service.

14 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 2:21:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
The flip side of that is having to go from Pro down to Express where the cost difference is minimal.
Having good sync at 3008/512kbps and being told that you can purchase PPPoE 1500/384 service for $5 less.

15 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2007 2:52:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
Current customers are grandfathered in and can keep the same rate if they want--there is a range of speed, as you already know, and the top end of express is the same as the bottom end of pro--at&t is trying to be more fair and charge the $$ that more accurately reflects what the customer is receiving.

16 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2007 2:47:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

Uturnaroun wrote:
They don't have it listed online. If you call, the rep should be able to give you the details.

I called... they state that I have to take TV service, and according to CS, they would 'interfere' with my current satellite as they would come into the house on the same line. :smileymad:

17 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2007 3:15:30 PM
(0)
Master
they are wrong about the satellite thing, there have been several people who have Uverse running side by side with cable/satellite. You just have to tell the installer that this what you want so he doesn't mess with your existing coax.

18 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2007 6:27:00 PM
(0)
Professor
Or what you can do is sign up for U300 or something with a free trial. When the installer comes, tell him to just connect the internet. If you want you can make up something about a change of heart with the TV service. Then you just call and cancel the TV section.

19 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2007 2:17:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
 I think I'll stick with DSL until my DirecTv contract is up, then evaluate after

Home> wan ad chandata
near-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
near-end fast channel bit rate: 3008 kbps
far-end interleaved channel bit rate: 0 kbps
far-end fast channel bit rate: 512 kbps
Home> wan ad line near
relative capacity occupation: 60%
noise margin downstream: 14.0 db
output power upstream: 12.0 dbm
attenuation downstream: 50.0 db

20 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2007 2:41:59 PM
(0)
Professor
That would probably be the best thing. Technically, U-verse internet alone costs more than DSL alone. You only get the savings when you combine both U-verse TV and Internet.

21 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2007 3:23:34 PM
(0)
Scholar
That's why I wish AT&T had a better spread option (similar to Cable)
I have AT&T POTS, DSL, AT&T cell phone, but don't want TV.  I guess in some markets they would rather lose customers than sell w/o TV service.

Standalone - pricey (Internet, Phone, TV, Wireless )  $45/month - Wireless is in its own world (starter)
Dual (TV + Internet  /  TV + VoIP  /   TV + Wireless   /   Internet + VoIP   /   Internet + Wireless  /  Internet + VoIP )   ~$69 (starter)
Triple  ( Internet + VoIP + TV   /   Internet + VoIP + Wireless   /  Internet + TV + Wireless /  Internet + VoIP + Wireless )
Quad ( Internet + VoIP + TV + Wireless )

Eg. I would go for a VoIP + Internet + Wireless package where I would get a 6Mbps / 1Mbps deal, so that I could get rid of old POTS/LD.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-14-2007 03:24 PM

22 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2007 7:09:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
Looks like AT&T has finally heard me (possibly)
I received what appears to be a discount/rebate for use of AT&T Yahoo Internet for 'pro' or higher packages.  And it does not state anything about 'Uverse'.
I called to find out what the deal is all about.
The rep stated that I could get a rebate if I signed up for 'pro' or better service.
I asked if it was available in at my location. (i.e. pro or elite).
He stated, I could only get 'express' (even though I'm syncd at 3008/512).
I asked why they would send me an offer that I can't use (i.e. typical bulk junk mail to all AT&T subs?)
Then he went through the spiel of how I'm in a Uverse area and could get Uverse TV and Internet, but the $50 rebate wouldn't apply.

I told him that was a 'bait and switch' tactic, and I didn't want TV (I'm in a contract until July/August on satellite).

Then I was told that this was a different product (which it is), and I could get 'pro' or 'elite' Uverse Internet without TV service for $30 (pro) or $40(elite)
Only catch is that it has to be ordered through their number (specific 1-877 number) in San Antonio.
I stated that I'll wait until the VoIP service is out (and pricing) as well as my DSL contract expiration before I call him back.

Message Edited by formercanuck on 11-23-2007 07:10 PM

23 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2007 11:12:58 PM
(0)
Expert
I would call back again, get a different rep and ask why you were sent this offer--then ask what they can do for you (as in give you the $50 credit).  I had a situation where I was offered (via e-mail) to go up to the next highest package with a discount of $10 a month for 3 months.  I called to ask how I could do this as I was already at U400; rep came back and said that since they should have checked before e-mailing, they would honor the credit.  Might be worth another try? :smileywink:

But getting rid of the high-end DSL is only going to make non-Uverse customers go with someone else.  Doesn't make sense.  Does this apply on the Homezone side, too, I wonder?

24 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2007 10:40:05 AM
(0)
Scholar
Well, AT&T still doesn't offer DSL at pro or elite here, but will offer Uverse Internet standalone... that's good enough for me.
I don't have Homezone, just POTS/LD, Wireless with AT&T, DSL through DSL-Extreme (pro speed :smileytongue: ) and DirecTv.

25 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2007 10:01:48 PM
(0)
Scholar
According to AT&T's techs on DSLReports.com, prequal loop was ~ 9,000' and I'm at ~12,000' of wire from the CO, but my line's officially stable enough to qualify for Pro... I just have to jump through hoops.
I'll check for the Uvsere w/o TV after Xmas.

26 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2008 4:07:42 PM
(0)
Teacher
Does existing DSL customers with 3mb at $24.99 being grandfathered into uverse with 3mb at $25?  If so, where did you get the info from?  Uverse Customer Service is saying 'NO'.  Thanks.

27 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2008 5:05:16 PM
(0)
Master
What is customer service saying No about? the 3mb internet with TV on the Uverse side of things should only cheaper than that.

28 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2008 8:35:12 PM
(0)
Expert
My ProDSL was $24.99, and they just switched a few wires :smileywink: and now I'm Uverse VDSL.  Internet and TV together give me a $10 discount per month.  Instead of being $30, I look at it as being $20 (or you could take the $10 off the TV price), but that's how I like to look at it.  So, I'm saving $5 a month on Internet.

There should be no problem with your moving from ADSL to VDSL.  What have they told you?

paperbag wrote:
Does existing DSL customers with 3mb at $24.99 being grandfathered into uverse with 3mb at $25?  If so, where did you get the info from?  Uverse Customer Service is saying 'NO'.  Thanks.

29 of 48 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2008 9:04:31 PM
(0)
Teacher
To me, you get the $10 discount per month regardless of whether you have DSL services or not because you bundle Internet and TV together.  The word 'grandfathered' sounds like you continued to pay $24.99 for 3mb instead of $30.00 for existing customers.  Total discount is $15 where  Internet/TV ($10) + grandfathered existing DSL customers ($5).

BTW, my first impression with Uverse customer Service was lousy.  I wasn't treated like a value customer and it was take it or leave it attitude.  For now, I will stay with TWC until they raise my rates.

30 of 48 (512 Views)